• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A decade later, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD is finally happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo

....or it's been happening since the beginning of July with over 43 days of shooting but last night Kennedy Miller Mitchell Productions released a press release about filming commencing along with some short plot details and the rest of the cast:
Principal photography began 9 July on the dystopian action adventure "Mad Max: Fury Road", a Kennedy Miller Mitchell production written and directed by "Mad Max" creator and Academy Award(R) winner George Miller ("Happy Feet"). The film will be presented by Warner Bros. Pictures in association with Village Roadshow Pictures. It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures.

"Mad Max: Fury Road"--the fourth in the franchise's history--stars Tom Hardy ("The Dark Knight Rises") in the title role of Max Rockatansky, alongside Oscar(R) winner Charlize Theron ("Monster", "Prometheus") as Imperator Furiosa.

According to Miller, "Mad Max is caught up with a group of people fleeing across the Wasteland in a War Rig driven by the Imperator Furiosa. This movie is an account of the Road War which follows. It is based on the Word Burgers of the History Men and eyewitness accounts of those who survived."

"Mad Max: Fury Road" also stars Nicholas Hoult ("x-men:First Class") as Nux; Hugh Keays-Byrne ("Mad Max", "Sleeping Beauty") as Immortan Joe; and Nathan Jones ("Conan the Barbarian") as Rictus Erectus. Collectively known as The Wives, Zoe Kravitz ("x-men:First Class") plays Toast, Riley Keough ("Magic Mike") is Capable, and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley ("transformers:Dark of the Moon") is Splendid. They are joined by supermodel Abbey Lee Kershaw as The Dag and Courtney Eaton as Fragile, both of whom are making their big screen debuts. Also featured in the movie are Josh Helman as Slit, Jennifer Hagan as Miss Giddy, and singer/songwriter/performer iOTA as Coma-Doof Warrior.

The cast is rounded out by well-known Australian actors John Howard, Richard Carter, supermodel Megan Gale, Angus Sampson, Joy Smithers, Gillian Jones, Melissa Jaffer and Melita Jurisic.

Miller is directing the film from a screenplay he wrote with Brendan McCarthy and Nico Lathouris. Miller also produces the film, along with longtime producing partner, Oscar(R) nominee Doug Mitchell ("Babe", "Happy Feet"), and P.J. Voeten. Iain Smith, Graham Burke and Bruce Berman serve as executive producers.

The behind-the-scenes creative team includes Academy Award(R)-winning director of photography John Seale ("The English Patient"); action unit director and stunt coordinator Guy Norris ("Australia"); editor Margaret Sixel ("Happy Feet"); production designer Colin Gibson ("Babe"); Oscar(R)-winning costume designer Jenny Beavan ("A Room with a View"); and makeup designer Lesley Vanderwalt ("Knowing").

Shooting on "Mad Max: Fury Road" is taking place in Africa with the support of the Australian government. Originally slated to be shot in Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia, the production was forced to relocate due to severe flooding, rendering the Australian landscape unsuitable for the film. The rain turned the area into an oasis instead of the post-apocalyptic terrain that is the setting for Max's world.

...Word burgers? Bit of tidbits: Hugh Keays-Byrne played Toecutter in the first Mad Max film along with Nico Lathouris who played the mechanic in the first film too.

There's no official stills released yet or any photos of the cast on set but there's plenty of photos of some of the 130+ vehicles that'll be in the film some of which are below:
CQLkBh.jpg

ePxpoh.jpg

s0epvh.jpg

"She's the last of the V8s!" To the left you can see a metal finished Ford Falcon XB similar looking to Max's V8 Interceptor from the first 2 films only with a bigger blower, jacked up rear tires and rear mounted weapon. There's rumored to be over 8 Interceptors constructed for Fury Road including 2 featuring the BOB or black on black paint finish and looking more like the Intercept from Mad Max 2.

Mad-max-monster.jpg

7629469234_dec95fc895_b.jpg

7629469778_181cd2acdb_o.jpg

cars.jpg

SundayTimes.jpg

HentiesBay10.jpg

Most wanted for 2013 along with Man of Steel. Mad Max 5 is supposed to start shooting right after the shoot ends for Fury Road in December...

Tom Hardy?

Day. Fucking. One.

And how did this not leak before? Did no one see those vehicles driving by them at some point and take a picture?

Simo

Tom Hardy?

Day. Fucking. One.

And how did this not leak before? Did no one see those vehicles driving by them at some point and take a picture?

Funny enough there's plenty of leaked set photos that have made the rounds since the shoot started but KMM only just now acknowledged that "Oh, yeah we are finally filming Mad Max 4 in case nobody saw the huge trucks in the Namibian desert..."

Like say this huge PA truck...
88185b38.jpg

e2f84812.jpg

Vyroxis

Banned
The amount of classic cars butchered to make this film is making me want to cry. Unless some of them are just cheap kit cars, then whatever.

Silkworm

Ah, so this takes place between The Road Warrior and Thunderdome? Interesting. I don't remember the ending too well to The Road Warrior but I suppose it doesn't really matter :)

Fucking A!

Tom Hardy is fucking boss, I hope this movie is good.

Mel Gibson has given his blessing to the casting of Tom Hardy in Mad Max: Fury Road.

Hardy will take over the eponymous role of Max in the fourth instalment, which was played by Gibson in Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2 (1981) and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985).

"I sat down with the guy and I quite like him," Gibson told Coming Soon. "I think he's a good choice for that."

Asked whether he would see the film, Gibson confirmed: "Oh yeah, I'll have a look. It'll be fun. I think he's a good actor. He commits completely and he looks great.

"There's this scary thing about him which is kind of right for that. Tom needed to sit down and talk more than I did. I'm really happy about that. But I hope they do a great job."

Simo

Ah, so this takes place between The Road Warrior and Thunderdome? Interesting. I don't remember the ending to well to The Road Warrior but I suppose it doesn't really matter :)

No it seems to be more of a reboot/revamp than anything but Miller isn't really saying much. =/

Magilla

Banned
I'm stoked. Hardy is an awesome actor and has been tearing it up. He was 198lbs to play Bane, 205 in Warrior, and for this he will be 215 and punching dudes to death. Or he'll probably slim down to get a more Mad Max like physique. Either way!

Simo

Hardy's take on the character and some of his prep work when they were getting ready to shoot in 2010:
So Tom Hardy is going to build settlements and obstacle courses in the outback for two months, use them to train, and then dismantle them. “Max is a loner in a desolate landscape,” Tom explains. “I’ve got to create the body of someone broken who survives from meal to meal. I want the muscles of a manual labourer who builds camps then disbands them.” He doesn’t know what’s going to be inside Max yet, though. He’s waiting to find that out from George Miller, because Max is George’s man. “George will be the font of my wisdom because I’m not playing someone real – it’s not Adolf Hitler or Graham Norton. I can practise being Graham Norton in my bedroom for hours; I’ve got nothing with Mad Max.”

Hardy had been growing a beard for the last 5 months for "Max's wild days" in Fury Road:
tumblr_m8owyohIpP1qe5f96o1_1280.jpg

There's been no leaked photos of the cast from the set but this is a photo of Hardy taken in Namibia a couple of weeks ago with the beard gone and a haircut so your good idea of what his version of Max will look like for the rest of the film:
Hollywood-3_01.jpg

Silkworm

No it seems to be more of a reboot/revamp than anything but Miller isn't really saying much. =/

Oh, hmmm. I got confused and someone had said sequel to 3 but I had read 2, so that's why I thought it was going to be time-wise between The Road Warrior and Thunderdome. Anyway, I suppose it's just best to strike out and doing something new rather than try to force some sort of direct continuity with the previous 3 movies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Vehicles are looking good. I kinda want to see this.

Simo

Oh, hmmm. I got confused and someone had said sequel to 3 but I had read 2, so that's why I thought it was going to be time-wise between The Road Warrior and Thunderdome. Anyway, I suppose it's just best to strike out and doing something new rather than try to force some sort of direct continuity with the previous 3 movies.

Just look at it as a new Mad Max tale in Mad Max's world for a new trilogy....with the return of the V8! George Miller is reportedly supposed to be planning an anime to tie-in with the movies and is still producing the video game that Avalanche Studios and Cory Barlog were working on for the last 3 years or so until Dr D Studios took over.

Amagon

Good to hear news about the new Mad Max movie. I'm loving the car designs and Hardy is perfect for this role. They couldn't have gotten anybody better but him. Can't wait!!!

Maddocks

they already prepping mad max 6. they writing it now. they prepared to film back to back once filming finishes since mad max is going to be filming for 9 months.

going to be insane, I cant wait for it.

jett

D-Member
I can't believe this is actually happening. This movie seems to have been on the backburner for forever.

Weird that Hardy is playing the same character.

CiSTM

Banned
I never saw the second one. Road warrior i think? I need to get on that.

Wut :O How is that even possible? I can understand if you haven't seen the first movie since it rarely airs anywhere (maybe in Austria) and the DVDs are always out of stock. But second movie airs around the world many times a year, how can you miss them? :mad:

SJRB

Gold Member
- Vehicle design is top notch
- Tom Hardy can do no wrong in my book
- It's Mad effin' Max for Christ's sake
- I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine

How can one not be hyped?

Mel is Max!

Yeah and if not him at least Eric Bana or some other Aussie.

Tom Hardy is good but still fuck dat casting.

honestly. Eric Bana was the only other choice besides Mel for me. Still, Tom Hardy's got the look and the ferocity. Nobody's as tough as Riggs though.

Day One. Haven't even seen the other Mad Maxes yet but I will by the time this comes out for sure.

What? WHAT? WHAT!? My, God! Fix this ASAP! The first one is awesome but pretty cheesy in the end, but the second one (Road Warrior) is one of the most awesome post apocalyptic films ever made. Just bad ass turned to 11.

And it has this guy:
humongous.jpg

Just leave the thread, and walk away. Walk away, and your life will be spared.

I never saw the second one. Road warrior i think? I need to get on that.

This hurts my head so much. You need to watch Road Warrior, as it's easily the best movie of the bunch, and an all-time classic movie in general.

I hope Fury Road is more of 2 than 3. I don't hate Thunderdome, but it's not nearly as good of an action movie as the second Mad Max.

Fantastic! Glad to see George Miller at the helm, I was always worried that a sequel would end up with someone else.

I would love to see the original Mad Max with the Australian dialog track. I've only ever seen it with Gibson's voice dubbed, and it's really distracting.

What? WHAT? WHAT!? My, God! Fix this ASAP! The first one is awesome but pretty cheesy in the end, but the second one (Road Warrior) is one of the most awesome post apocalyptic films ever made. Just bad ass turned to 11.

And it has this guy:
humongous.jpg

Just leave the thread, and walk away. Walk away, and your life will be spared.

Fuck that, it's one of the greatest films PERIOD!

Watch Road Warrior NOW!
Every depiction of the Apocalypse in every media format was almost styled directly from Road Warrior ever since.

Funny enough there's plenty of leaked set photos that have made the rounds since the shoot started but KMM only just now acknowledged that "Oh, yeah we are finally filming Mad Max 4 in case nobody saw the huge trucks in the Namibian desert..."

Like say this huge PA truck...
88185b38.jpg

e2f84812.jpg

Shit, that thing could roll onto the set and not look out of place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom