• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A&E to air weekly KKK documentary next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/12/23/e-changes-doc-series-title-escaping-kkk/95806708/

Generation KKK will now be called Escaping the KKK: A Documentary Series Exposing Hate in America (Jan. 10, 10 ET/PT), a title that more explicitly states the focus of the series and the nature of the group at its center, A&E says.

In a statement released Friday, A&E explained the move. "The network is changing the name of the show to ensure that no one can mistake its intent and that the title alone does not serve to normalize the Klan."

A&E, which is partnering with the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) on the project, also said it has created a partnership with Color of Change, "the leading next-generation African-American civil rights organization."

Cagey

Banned
I'm glad that they are aware that normalizing the KKK is not the right way to combat the KKK and their ideology. Changing the title and focus of the documentary was a good move.
The focus of the series didn't change.

The title changed to more explicitly state the already existing focus to avoid confusion or misunderstanding or misinterpretation, all as evidenced in this thread.

I'm glad that they are aware that normalizing the KKK is not the right way to combat the KKK and their ideology. Changing the title and focus of the documentary was a good move.

The focus did not change, they changed the title so stupid people were less offended by it.

Derwind

The focus did not change, they changed the title so stupid people were less offended by it.

I'm glad tone deaf people like yourself can calmly insult others who don't hold the same opinion as you.

Btw, if you feel up to it, please pull out the quote where anyone said they were offended by the title of the show rather than the content of the show being a reality TV series following the Kkk & their family.

I hope the show does in fact become a net positive rather than being just airtime for a terrorist organization.

But posts like yours helps no one.

This will be a whitewashed version of the KKK which will only add to the ignorant cunt voices that compare them to the BLM movement.

We'll see them protesting, etc and people will think..."oh, that's just like BLM".

Fucking cunts.

People in here arguing against shining a light on these groups baffle me.

We tried ignoring these groups, how did that go? Oh look they're in power.

Shine the light on these bastards til they melt.

Exactly, acknowledging the KKK still exists is far from "normalizing" them. Ignoring them and hoping they go away is like ignoring a strange lump and hoping it isn't cancer.

Derwind

Exactly, acknowledging the KKK still exists is far from "normalizing" them. Ignoring them and hoping they go away is like ignoring a strange lump and hoping it isn't cancer.

Finding a reality TV series tasteless for one of the most well documented and studied terrorist organization is ignoring them.

This does nothing to tell us what we don't already know, so yes, giving them airtime to showcase their family life is normalizing these organizations.

Why not look into racism in the work place or the schools which would be far harder for your average person to identify than a fuckers wearing a hood & burning crosses?

RPGCrazied

Good, this stuff doesn't belong on TV. And of course its A&E trying to show this show. Just look at Duck Dynasty. Thank god that is gone though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom