• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few quick Enemy Territory questions

Ecrofirt

I've been playing for quite awhile, but there's still one or two things I've got questions about, as well as some problems a freind and I are having.

OK, I'll list these things as I think of them.

1) How do you get scripts to work? I found one called medic.cfg here that lets you toss a medkit, tell the person you tossed it, and switch back to your machine gun when you press a button. I, of course, have no idea what the heck to do to get it working.

2) What are the keys for starting/stopping recording movies? I know you can do it, as I've seen it done.

3) I'm having problems hosting games. When I click Host Game, ET freezes and I have to shut it down. I've tried reinstalling it to no avail. Any ideas?

4) My friend can't get a server list to show up. He's behind a router, as I am, and he's tried forwarding port based on this documentation found in the server setup guide which is the only place we could find mention of ports:
net_port
Changing the default server port requires the net_port command be run on the command line. It is useful for running multiple servers on the same computer or making the server somewhat more private. The default port is 27960 and is incremented automatically by 1 if another server is started without a specified port.
I didn't have to do any port forwarding to get it to work, go figure ;-)

5) What's the point of a fireteam? They never seem to serve any purpose.

Dilbert

Ecrofirt said:
I've been playing for quite awhile, but there's still one or two things I've got questions about, as well as some problems a freind and I are having.

4) My friend can't get a server list to show up. He's behind a router, as I am, and he's tried forwarding port based on this documentation found in the server setup guide which is the only place we could find mention of ports:

I didn't have to do any port forwarding to get it to work, go figure ;-)

5) What's the point of a fireteam? They never seem to serve any purpose.

4) The server list issue could be a couple of things. Some questions:

* Does he have a software firewall enabled? It might be blocking the ET ports.
* Does he have the latest version (1.02 if memory serves) of the ET client? If not, he may not find any pre-1.02 servers out there.
* Did he accidentally set server filtering parameters such that all servers would be omitted?
* If he enters a server IP directly (even though he can't see it in the server browser), can he join?

5) Fireteams are of limited utility on public servers. You can use them to keep track of your friends if you all join the same fireteam, and if memory serves, you can restrict certain kinds of chat to fireteam-only. I imagine that fireteams would be FAR more useful for clan matches, where you may split into groups with distinct responsibilities in order to coordinate attack/defense.

Hopefully Eggo sees this thread -- he's the answer man for ET.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
1) Sounds like you bind a key to exec the script when you want to use it. For example, "\bind x exec medic.cfg" in console, then hit "x" in game to exec it. That slash might go the other way. Just hit tab before hitting enter and it will correct the first part.

2) /startrecord and /stoprecord, I believe it is. There is also an auto demo record option in the menus.

5) The most important use for fireteams is identifying people in your fireteam when they are selected. Get a large fireteam on a large public server, then select all members of the fireteam. Their names will be highlighted in red and they will be identified in-game with a fireteam symbol over their heads. This makes it easy to spot them in a firefight, even through fog. Also, you'll know not to shoot your fireteam allies if they are disguised as covert ops since they still have the noticeable symbol over their head. At the same time, if you see a fireteam member running around without a symbol over their head, they're an enemy covert ops. ET Pro has fireteams with many members allowable.

Ecrofirt

any ideas why Host Game might be screwing up?

That's how I go about looking at a map in 'single player'. I'll host the game, and then connect to my own IP. Lets me run around a map by myself.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Never heard of problems hosting, but I don't know anyone who really hosts games. Just join a server and follow people till you get a feel for the map.

Ecrofirt

I have almost a 100% feel for most maps, but I'm not exactly sure where the objective is on one or two maps.

I'm sure I'll find it eventually. Thanks!

I'm not currently playing anything online and am thinking of giving ET another chance (Could never find decent servers when I tried). What's the server that Eggo is always championing?

Ecrofirt

I usually play on the |C*Stats| server. It's a 28 player server, and there's usually no less than 20 people playing at a time.

What server do you play on, Eggo?

One more Q: I notice in the browser there are filters for modem users. What's the deal with the checks and marks? What do I need to do to be able to highlight servers that filter out modems? I briefly played one game and it was loaded with 200 and 300 pingers. This is probably why ET always disappoints, I'm used to playing in servers that have ping limits and are free of HPBs.

Dilbert

Eggo usually plays on Primer's ET Linux. Unless the IP address has changed recently, you can access it at fungus.sh.nu. I LOVE that server -- the level of competition there is extremely high, but it's a fairly supportive crowd with good teamwork for a public server. I'm just bummed that I can't play ET anymore because of some weird issue with that game and the version of Catalysts that I'm running. (Eggo is one HELL of a player, by the way.)

Ravingloon -- I'm pretty sure that if you set the filter to "LAN/ISDN/DSL/Cable", you won't see any servers which allow modem (high ping) players.

Thanks. I'll have to give that server a try. What Catalyst version are you using? Just loaded a game and 4.7 works (although it looked far uglier than I remember.... A custom map? Or maybe a driver issue?).

Dilbert

I'm using 4.5 (if memory serves), and although there isn't supposed to be a problem with that version and ET, I get a weird "stutter" every couple of seconds where the screen freezes and sound repeats for a second or two. Needless to say, when this happens in a firefight, I'm dead.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the Cats and my system (Athon64 + nVidia motherboard + ATI card = ???), or if some of the OEM drivers are still left in the system, despite my best efforts to upgrade cleanly. I do know that when I rolled back to Cat 3.7 for a time, ET worked fine.

Oh well...sounds like a weekend project.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Primer's ET Linux - go into console and type "/connect fungus.sh.nu" and hit tab, then enter. 26 player max, though it may get up to 28-30 with private slots. It is usually full at nights PST, and the competition are mostly clan guys. Noobs don't last long and refs can kick obnoxious people, afk's, or those who don't play by the rules. Don't file complaints and spawncamping is allowed. If you play on this server long enough, you WILL get better, I promise. There are custom map campaigns and a couple stopwatch matches, in addition to the original 6. We're running punkbuster and ET pro to weed out the cheaters. Most regulars also use teamspeak 2, and there are forums as well at: http://bsdterritory.com/forum/index.php

Top Bottom