• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A flashback to 15 years ago, when Ubisoft was all about hardcore tactical shooters

Bragr

Banned
The success of Assassins Creed and Far Cry completely changed this company, everything that didn't sell in buckets went out the window, even if it was succesful. It's a damn shame what money does to organizations and everything we lose in the process.

2002 - Splinter Cell
2004 - Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
2005 - Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
2006 - Splinter Cell: Double Agent
2006 - Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
2006 - Rainbow Six: Vegas
2007 - Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
2008 - Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

5911f7d85bafe3e8f71ce20d

8c53295f748a67eb5153311163dd3d9a-1200-80.jpg

GRAW2_PC_03.jpg

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Holy shit, you just made me feel ver old dude.

Out of those my fav was Rainbow Six Vegas. It was more oriented to action than tactics, but it still had some tactical component to it. The second one wasn't so good imo, but I can't really remember why.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Think about Vegas 2, terrorist hunt all the time I congratulate Tom Clancy and Ubisoft on that game , at least the assassins creed games are coming from a history point of view, interesting eras.

killatopak

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory was so good it made my father go out of gaming hibernation and finish them both.

Those were the good days.

TheAssist

I mean those games sold until they didnt.

While we may look back fondly on these games now, I would argue that at the point that Splinter Cell Double Agent was released a lot of people felt franchise fatigue.

With AC they reached a wider audience of gamers that didnt play as many similar games and franchise fatigue settled in later and then they kept changing the formula much more. This is how they could keep AC relevant over 2 entire console gens. Personally I was fatigued after 3 games and dont really have any desire to go back, but then again I do play several other, sometimes better, action adventure games, because I am so hardcore.

But I do agree big Publishers need to diversify their portfolio more again. Though that would cost more money.... oh well.

Fortunately AA gaming is back in full action and delivers games that are very similar to all these games of the early to mid 2000's

It sucks as now they are only doing free2play pay2win micro games.
Apparently splinter cell will be multiplayer only. F Them all to hell!!!
I love splinter cell, 2nd best stealth outside of my favorite thief games.
Single player f'ers..

Also AC they will ruin that to target "Streamers" and zoomers who only like "playing with friends and not having a story.
Look what they did the real life sections of AC, turned it into woke hour.

I lost all hope in this company.

Also they don't do tact single player shooters. no more ghost recon with multple character control. I loved Graw and Graw2. As well as vegas.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six on original Xbox were something else.

I remember letting my friend try the voice command feature for Rainbow Six. He commanded his squad to open the door and toss in a frag grenade. Frag was tossed, but squamate A failed to open the door. As the grenade landed at the feat of the team, my friend backpedaled while screaming into the mic, "BITCHES REGROUP!"

Boom.

I still bring this up on occasion and we have a good laugh.

Star-Lord

The first three Splinter Cell games were some of my favourite games of that generation. In some ways, it was superior to Metal Gear Solid. I wish Ubisoft would return to that formula, rather than use the new formula seem in Conviction and Blacklist.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Dude I go back beyond Ravenshield. Used to buy all these games. Now I actually play no shooters at all...

Except I'm cautiously awaiting what Groundbranch will turn into. The framework is definitely solid.

Top Bottom