• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Gamer's Journey: The Definitive History of Shenmue

Surta

I finally decided to jump in on this series. I just imported Shenmue 1 from PAL-land. I figured I will play the pal versions on my DC.

My Utopia Boot disc should let me play them right? And my PVM can handle 50hz and 60hz so am I all set?

Shenmue 1 EU supports both 50 and 60 Hz (as well as VGA for best quality), so you shouldn't have problems.

Trojan X

Banned
I finally decided to jump in on this series. I just imported Shenmue 1 from PAL-land. I figured I will play the pal versions on my DC.

My Utopia Boot disc should let me play them right? And my PVM can handle 50hz and 60hz so am I all set?

Yup. You are good to go! ... no wait. Do you have a VGA adapter? If you do not have it then I seriously and highly recommend for you to get it right now. No Dreamcast is complete without it.

Did I miss it or was there a date on that video?

We are all waiting for the ETA. It is hinted to be very soon. I hope every media will cover it.

Trojan X

Banned
"very soon" meaning before the kickstarter finishes, or after?

Before is implied but since this isn't my creation I do not know for sure. They really need to get that video out this week so it can have a major assist to the Kickstarter. After Kickstarter will be a missed opportunity. I'll do more digging.

That's it... I'm gonna eBay a copy of shenmue 1 & 2....

v7PSNyx.jpg

Peltz

Yup. You are good to go! ... no wait. Do you have a VGA adapter? If you do not have it then I seriously and highly recommend for you to get it right now. No Dreamcast is complete without it.
Don't worry, I'm rocking a Toro. I'm still playing at 480i, but it's clean looking on my PVM. I'll eventually get a 480p-capable PVM or BVM for the best IQ.

Cyborg

Great thread. New players you will enjoy it :) You will need time to get used to it but then.....your addiction will take over.

Trojan X

Banned
weren't his only cancelled projects psy-phi and shenmue online?

That's right. He cancelled Psy-Phi due to the technology not being ready (something to do with overheating problems), and Shenmue Online.... I don't know the reason for that one but I'm glad it was stopped. Didn't like the idea I couldn't be the person that I grew up and lived the life of, Ryo.

1508257-psy_phi.jpg

Coxy

weren't his only cancelled projects psy-phi and shenmue online?

no, those are just the ones you know about, he had dozens of concepts at varying stages of production

he hasnt given up on them either, if he can finish shenmue successfully he might be able to get those projects funded by publishers too

Trojan X

Banned
Sorry if this will get some people prematurely excited but this is a mild update to indicate that the project is still alive:

"Mild update since November - We are cutting together some new material right now. Some great things happening as far as capturing footage on the new game etc. Lot's I can't talk about yet but we will be pushing out some new info soon."

Guessing that things will move to the next level in this January.

openrob

Thought I would post an update to this since WHY NOT!

Adam Sipione, the director, has just finished a trip to Japan where he met Yu Suzuki, and travelled Japan and Yokosuka. Adam got to join the $10k backers get their reward of having dinner with Yu Suzuki and having Yu and some of the dev team guide the backers around areas of Japan. Oh, and they have been getting a whole bunch of footage for the documentary.

He talks about his experience in a podcast interview here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qicL0eRghfs

Excitingly, Adam said in response to whether he had seen any sneak peak footage of Shenmue 3: "We've seen something and...it exceeded my expectations. As a fan, any worries I had went out of the door"

https://twitter.com/YSNET_Inc/status/776687158836940800
CsdY0RCVYAAkdyP.jpg

Top Bottom