• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A good cheap digital camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

So I borrowed my friend's digital camera and I'm absolutely loving it. So I want to pick up one of my own, so I was hoping for some suggestions.

I'm hoping for a more "normal" camera size, and a large display if possible.

nitewulf

i think you are pretty much stuck with the sonys, i'm not sure too many other brands offer memory stick compatibility (could be wrong).
i'd suggest going w/ the dsc v1, its a very nice camera, takes good pictures, lots of controls and good optical zoom. and it has dropped quite a bit in price, and mostly fits your size criteria as it's a big sized digi cam, not one of those mini ones.

B'z-chan

Banned
SONLY its so lonely, you can get a cheap 3.2mp for around 200 bucks from sony that uses regular memory sticks, but i dont know about the pro's.

EDIT: Forgot about the adapters, you can easily get on from sandisk for cheap. Just buy a 32mb sandisk and use the included adapter. Note that the sandisk pro duo's out now with adapter will be getting shevled soon enough to make room for the new line of pro duos from Sandisk. I dont know if it has the adapter or not, but i guess not.

Socreges

Banned
I've got the Sony DSC-P72

I like it, but I have no idea how it stands in relative terms and it may be too expensive. (did not buy it)

Tabris said:
Must take Memory Stick Pro Duo (so I can sync up with my PSP).
What for? I'll be getting a PSP, so any 'connectivity' with my camera would be bonus.

It's just a Memory Stick Pro, though (not Duo), so far as I can see. What's the difference?

Tabris

Well I mean I can just slide in the memory stick into my PSP from my camera and see the pictures. Instead of copying them to my computer from my camera, then back to my PSP. Plus I could use the free 32MB stick from the PSP value pack on my camera instead of buying more.

...but looking at all the cheap Sony models, they all require adapters for the Duo Pro. So I'm just going to take that out of my requirements. I'll just go through the hassle of copying one to the other.

Rorschach

Tabris said:
Well I mean I can just slide in the memory stick into my PSP from my camera and see the pictures. Instead of copying them to my computer from my camera, then back to my PSP.

...but looking at all the cheap Sony models, they all require adapters for the Duo Pro. So I'm just going to take that out of my requirements. I'll just go through the hassle of copying one to the other.
All the Memory Duo Pros I've bought come with the adapters thrown in. It's just a small shell that goes over the duos.

duo.jpg

duo2.jpg

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Gonna get myself a Sony DSC-P120 soon. Seems pretty decent for the money.

£200, takes memory stick of course, comes with case and an extra li-ion battery.

Waychel

Banned
I'm really liking my Nikon E3200 and I only paid around $100 or $200 for it. ^^ If you're looking for a cheap, functional and quality digital camera that you can just take around with you everywhere, then I'd recommend it. There's even an option with this for you to shoot videos!

Whatever you do buy make sure you have an extra $60 or so left over. First off the included memory card is always 16 or 32 MB, in other words jack shit pictures. Most 128 MB cards start around $35 (except XD which is jacked up even more then the Memory Stick). Second, any camera that takes AA almost always has alkaline included and you'll be lucky to fill up your memory card before the battery dies. So for sure get a set of rechargeables unless you already have them (which should also last you 80 some shots).

If you want a large display check out the 5 MP, Sony DSCW1 which is a little over $300 or Olympus Stylus 500 which is closer to $400. On the cheaper end, I really like the Nikon Coolpix line (3 MP is $200, 4 MP is $275), the 4 MP Sony DSCP73 ($200) and the Canon Powershot line.

I don't really like Kodak all that much but they have decent stuff in the $100-$150 range (CX7300 with only digital zoom, CX7330 with optical zoom).

SickBoy

I'm really puzzled by the mass Olympus pimpage I see here all the time. I mean, I've got an Olympus and I'm very happy with it, but I don't know what it is about Olympus cameras that makes people think there's nothing else good on the market

Jotaro

Banned
SickBoy said:
I'm really puzzled by the mass Olympus pimpage I see here all the time. I mean, I've got an Olympus and I'm very happy with it, but I don't know what it is about Olympus cameras that makes people think there's nothing else good on the market

I never stated (or meant) that Olympus was a panacea. ;)

I have some pictures (all taken with Olympus cameras) that could make the most jaded Olympus hater want one much more than an Ipod. :lol

If you are talking $100 cheap I would suggest Fuji Finepix cameras. They are far better than anything in their price range. If you are looking for a bit more expensive camera then the Canons are tops.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Still nobody? Those are the only two choices that I will be able to redeem the points for, and I've seen fairly even recommendations generally between Canon and Olympus in here, so which of those specific two is the superior cheap camera?

Tabris

What do you guys think of this one?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P41 4.1MP Digital Camera.

It only has a 1.5" LCD screen :( ...but the rest looks good, plus it's on sale, plus it has memory stick support.

EDIT - Ewww. Nevermind. Takes normal batteries. I want a Li-Ion type battery if possible.

Draff

A larger LCD will usually eat up more juice.

As for Li-on, sometimes it's convenient having batteries, especially if you forget to charge.
Ni-MH batteries are great in this regard. (Unless you hate opening battery hinges :p)

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
-Name a price before you ask for suggestions. "Cheap" is a relative term.
-Big LCDS (e.g. 2.0+ inches) is a trend of the current generation - shouldn't be hard to find a camera with that..
-Any of the big names have pretty good entry-level cameras: Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, Fuji, etc.
-Most entry level cameras take AA batteries - this is fine. Just get some Lithium AA batteries and you're set. Even better, if you ever run out of power on a vacation, you can just buy alkalines.
-www.dpreview.com
-www.steves-digicams.com
-Canon rocks - I would recommend an Canon A series.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Well, if everyone's just going to skip my question, I guess I'll just get the one that costs more points.

Shazapp

COCKLES said:
Wow. Those sample pics arn't bad at all. :D

Hey. for a cheap camera....with a fixed focus lens...they're not HORRIBLE. But then again, like I said, cheap to me isn't the same as cheap to some people here. Oh well. :)

ChumsGum

Banned
SickBoy said:

I've used a 5 yr old Olympus 2.1 digicam and newer 3-4 megapixel cameras from both Sony and Canon, and without a doubt the Olympus camera takes a far better picture than my Sony or Canon. The Olympus is also 3 times the size and can't be put in my pocket like the Sony or Canon, but for picture quality, Olympus is the best.

Alcibiades

BigGreenMat said:
If you are talking $100 cheap I would suggest Fuji Finepix cameras. They are far better than anything in their price range. If you are looking for a bit more expensive camera then the Canons are tops.
hmm, I was looking through this thread and think that Kodak linked in one of the first posts seems like a good deal...

I don't even know where to start in terms of comparisons though...

I going to get a camera for every-day simple use, and those in the Kodak samples look pretty good:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/cx7300_samples.html

First I'm going to research those Fuji Finepix if like you say they are much better at the $100 price range...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom