• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look At Classic Nintendo Hardware On Display: First Pics of the NES Prototype?

So I went to a party for the opening of the new Nintendo World store (you know, the old Pokemon Center) last night not expecting much when I came across a small display featuring classic Nintendo hardware which I thought was pretty neat. So I asked them if I could return today to take some pics, and they let me, so here they are...

First off, here's all the various handhelds that Nintendo's produced...

nintendoworld1.jpg

And here's all the variants of the GBA SP up to this point (I had no idea that there's been so many... the marble one is pretty neat)...

nintendoworld2.jpg

Here's a Game Boy that was uncovered in the middle of the first Gulf War. Its pretty messed up, but still plays Tetris...

nintendoworld3.jpg

Know what these are? Hanfada cards, and it what Nintendo starting out back in the days (mom, who's Korean, used to play this with her friends back home)...

nintendoworld4.jpg

Here's where it all started. I had never seen an actual Famicom before...

nintendoworld5.jpg

Now, the whole point of me taking pics in the first place: the Advance Video System, which was the prototype of the NES. It was apparently only shown once before, at the Consumer Electronic Show (which as we all know was the precursor to E3) back in 85. This is the first time according to Nintendo (and as far as I know) that its been shown publicly...

nintendoworld6.jpg

In addition to the system, there's a slew of accessories which were to come bundled, including a keyboard...

nintendoworld7.jpg

Check out the original joypads!

nintendoworld8.jpg

Here's a flight stick also included...

nintendoworld9.jpg

And the original zapper. Looks like the stun guns from Star Trek Next Generation to me...

nintendoworld10.jpg

The store offically opens tomorrow with some huge block party, but they are doing a soft open this very moment. So all NYGAFers should stop by and check it out.

M3wThr33

Banned
So the AVS used tapes? But the Famicom already used carts, so that would have been a stupid waste of technology.
Edit:
I wondered what happened to that charred Game Boy. It used to be in the Nintendo Service Center but disappeared a while ago. The rest of the stuff is still on display in here, though.
(My mother still has a stockpile of other stuff we've got over the years to make our own museum.)

Mihail

Banned
I'm going to be there. Let me bum some single-cart multiplayer DS action off you guys.

EDIT: That ADVANCED is the influence for Game Boy Advance -- right down to the type font. Awesomeness.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Well, it may have been at war, but it actually got that way because it was in a gym bag that accidentally caught fire, or something like that. So it didn't actually see "action", I don't think. :lol

Neat, thanks for the shots. The AVS is certainly interesting (tapes to save money, maybe?), and all those SPs... something heartwarming about seeing the Famicom and Classic NES SPs side-by-side. :p

jenov4

Excellent pics, thanks for sharing.

Seeing that Game & Watch handheld with the mirror (is that Popeye?) brings back some fond memories. Nintendo rules.

metsallica said:
Fort, do you have any other pics of the store in general? From the outside to the layout inside?

Sorry, but I'm afraid not. It's noting too exciting really, just a bunch of games on shelves, plasmas running GameCube games, some clothing.

None of those are the actual NAVS console, though. That's just the tape drive and keyboard (both of which were released for the Famicom in Japan).

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Conincidentally, I was just reading that part in Game Over last night where they talk about the AVS. I was wondering why I hadn't seen pics of it and then lo and behold, here's this thread!

Edit: Doh! Not the system I guess, but at least the accessories.

M3wThr33

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
None of those are the actual NAVS console, though. That's just the tape drive and keyboard (both of which were released for the Famicom in Japan).
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks Kobun.

Rushmore

Wow, I always wondered what happened to that Gulf War GBoy. It used to sit in a display in the customer service center at NOA HQ.

Kobun Heat said:

Well, then this pic certainly makes more sense (which I just did to see if it really was the very first time the AVS was revealed publically)

nes5.jpg

FortNinety said:
Sorry, but I'm afraid not. It's noting too exciting really, just a bunch of games on shelves, plasmas running GameCube games, some clothing.
Ah, thanks anyway. The pics you did take are great! I'm just going to have to get out to that store myself.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
metsallica said:
Fort, do you have any other pics of the store in general? From the outside to the layout inside?

I'll be driving down there tomorrow for the party and I'll try to load up on good pics of the whole thing.

Very awesome, Fort90.

Geek said:
I'll be driving down there tomorrow for the party and I'll try to load up on good pics of the whole thing.

Very awesome, Fort90.
Excellent! I'm hoping to make it as well, but it's not looking great at this point. The pics would be much appreciated, regardless.

FortNinety said:
Now, the whole point of me taking pics in the first place: the Advance Video System, which was the prototype of the NES. It was apparently only shown once before, at the Consumer Electronic Show (which as we all know was the precursor to E3) back in 85. This is the first time according to Nintendo (and as far as I know) that its been shown publicly...

Seeing these pictures reminded me of the story of how Nintendo developed all this stuff for the US launch of the Famicom, told in the book "Game Over" (which I'm sure you've all read). The pictures intrigued me enough to go dig up my copy and read that part again. Some excerpts:

"[Minaro] Arakawa marveled at the intensity of the hostility toward video games [in the US]-even the phrase was taboo...Destroyed careers, divorces and a suicide were blamed on the Atari crash. 'It would be easier,' said one former toy-executive told Arakawa, 'to sell popsicles in the Arctic.'"

"Arakawa felt it was vital that the Nintendo system be distinguishable from its predecessors. He decided it should be clear from the outset that the Nintendo system wasn't a toy. If it was marketed as a more sophisticated electronics product, the company could disassociate from the Atari, Coleco, and Mattell systems.

To interest an extended base of retailers, Arakawa wanted the system to be more than a game machine; it should have the capabilities of a small computer. NCL engineers were give the task of developing peripherals, including a keyboard, a music keyboard, and a tape-storage device. They came up with new, high-tech, infrared remote controllers and a cool Zapper gun to play shooting games. All of the options indicated that the Nintendo machine was both a giant step forward from the old-wave systems and a new kind of system altogether. Parents would be more likely to buy it because it could do more for their kids (the keyboards, for example, promised educational and cultural value)...the system was given a name to reflect its maturity: the Advanced Video System, or AVS."

The book goes on to say that the AVS debuted at the 1984 CES, and while there was some interest, "the memories of Atari were too recent".

"...it was clear that Arakawa had misjuded his ability to overcome skepticism . No one cared about the remote control, and they hated the keyboard-a turnoff to kids, industry executives believed (parents were irrelevant). The AVS had all the problems not only of the video game business but of computers too. No one would touch it."

-Game Over: Press Start to Continue-the Maturing of Mario, by David Sheff

It really is amazing to see how far the system came from those early prototypes. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
is that the same gameboy that was mentioned in the letters section in those old nintendo power mags?

omg Ive never seen these before, ever! Ive seen the the well known concept artist impression of the AVS / Avanced Entertainment System, but never this version of the AVS, the actual prototypes! wow.

wonderful post :D

Sjoerd

Wow that original famicom is great! It probably was the first console I played on and I'm from the Netherlands. My neighbours had one, I must have been about 7 years old back then!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Cool, anyone know when the block party starts tomorrow. I'd like to go, if it doesn't conflict with my classes.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Details from the invite:

CELEBRATE THE GRAND OPENING OF NINTENDO WORLD

Experience the Hottest Nintendo Games at a Kickin’ Block Party in Rockefeller Plaza on May 14

WHAT:
Nintendo® celebrates the historic launch of its first ever Nintendo World™ store by transforming Rockefeller Center into the ultimate gamers’ paradise. The block-long extravaganza features activities for gaming aficionados of all ages and levels – from novice to expert. Visitors will demo the latest Nintendo games and systems, watch gaming competitions on big-screen TVs, enter hourly drawings for Nintendo and Pokémon® merchandise, and dance to tunes spun by NYC-based DJ Nick Catchdubs.

WHEN:
Saturday, May 14, 2005 from 1:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - Nintendo World Grand Opening Block Party Begins
1:30 p.m. - Donkey Konga™ 2 Gaming Competition Kicks Off
3:00 p.m. - Winner Plays Skateboard Phenomenon Ryan Sheckler; Takes Home Nintendo Prize Bag Loaded with the Latest Nintendo Gear
5:00 p.m. - Grand Opening Block Party Ends

WHERE:
Nintendo World, 10 Rockefeller Plaza, New York City
Block party will take place off 48th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues

WHO:
Skateboarding sensation Ryan Sheckler, X Games Gold Medalist and star of Tony Hawk’s UndergroundTM 2 for Nintendo GameCube™; Nintendo characters, including Mario™, Luigi and Pokémon favorites, and hundreds of Nintendo fans from all over the world.

VISUALS:
King of the Konga Contest
Visitors square off against each other on Nintendo’s latest hit game – Donkey Konga 2 – for the chance to challenge skateboarding prodigy Ryan Sheckler and win a massive prize pack. Donkey Konga 2 challenges players to drum on unique, bongo-shaped controllers to the beat of a wide variety of popular tunes, from hip-hop and electronica to rock ‘n roll classics.

Nintendo World and Pokémon Center
The first-ever Nintendo World store in the world, this two-story, 10,000 square-foot gaming mecca features exclusive merchandise, games and interactive kiosks. Nintendo World will also be the new home of the Pokémon Center, which will offer in-store exclusives, state-of-the-art demo stations and an Ultra-Pokedex.

Meet Mario and some of your favorite Pokémon characters
Legendary Nintendo and Pokémon characters will be on hand to play with the younger generation of Nintendo gamers.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It was neat when it was the Pokemon Store, or so I've heard. I never actually went in. As for the rest of us, it isn't really supposed to open until tomorrow.

Jasoco

Banned
I would love to go to the NWS. Fortunately, I love in PA so it's plausible. It's just a matter of actually going to NYC one day and finding the store.

What CVXFREAK said, do they have a copy of every system and variation they ever made or just the GBA SP's (Which there are a SURPRISING amount of expecially for a young system like that.)

It would be much cooler if it hd every single color and such of everything along with their prototypes. (Which I actually think look cooler than the released version.) To think if that tape recorder computer combo came out instead, we wouldn't have an NES. We'd have an AVS. LOL

Ironclad

The NES prototype looks great and the joypads look great as well, but I imagine that they feel horrible. That Gulf War gameboy is hillarious though, those damn things really are indestructible.

Laurent

Ironclad_Ninja said:
The NES prototype looks great and the joypads look great as well, but I imagine that they feel horrible. That Gulf War gameboy is hillarious though, those damn things really are indestructible.
But... The original NES joypads felt horrible...

Top Bottom