• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look back at the first iPod announcement(2001)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
On the eve of another gigantic apple announcement and possibly the death of the iPod classic lets look back at that day in 2001. Steve jobs in a fairly low key reveal . Who would have thought that this would be the reincarnation of the apple brand? History in the making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0SVBCJqLs

kMFS7.jpg

We have come a long way.

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, i've come back to this clip and watched it several times over the years.. good stuff. I also love all his D8 interviews and stuff, and in general most big reveals. Why do I feel like he's already dead?

It's sad, I really see him already as a 'legend', and not in the 'living legend' way.. :\

If they phase out the classic iPod i'll be bummed. I don't need to play games on my iPod, I just want to listen to music dag nabit

Rapstah

apocalidiot said:
If they phase out the classic iPod i'll be bummed. I don't need to play games on my iPod, I just want to listen to music dag nabit
Why is it white? I ain't need no colour, I'll go with the shiny metal unpainted version. Why isn't this sold?

Roi

apocalidiot said:

I loved playing solitair on my old iPod!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
CD player, cost about $75, holds 15 songs - thats about $15 per song. Lol, you have to love Apple logic sometimes. Ignore swappable discs then..

giga

cooljeanius said:
Lol at the Firewire vs. USB part, considering iPods switched to USB just a few generations later.
Damn shame too. FW400 is still better than USB 2.0.

Roi said:
I loved playing solitair on my old iPod!

I gotta rephrase what I just said. When I said games I meant iPod touch features.

Revised:

If they phase out the classic iPod i'll be bummed. I don't need to have an iPod touch and surf the web/download apps/etc because I got a Droooiid... I just want to listen to music dag nabit

when you mention that they might be phasing out the iPod classic, you mean the one with the clickwheel (aka not the iPod touch) right?

FStop7

Banned
Macrumors saved the forum thread from 2001 in which people reacted to the iPod unveil. Some of the rants, meltdowns, and prophecies are absolutely hilarious to read.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
cooljeanius said:
Oh yeah, that's another part I laughed at.
I'm not trying to start up a debate on how many people can tell or not, but seriously, the kbits far from equaling each other. They know basic math.

FStop7 said:
Macrumors saved the forum thread from 2001 in which people reacted to the iPod unveil. Some of the rants, meltdowns, and prophecies are absolutely hilarious to read.
Link to this please?

noah111

Still Alive
mrklaw said:
CD player, cost about $75, holds 15 songs - thats about $15 per song. Lol, you have to love Apple logic sometimes. Ignore swappable discs then..
:lol
lol.gif
BUT IT FUCKING WORKS! Jobs knows how to sell his shit. I wonder how much of the iPods success was purely due to his marketing side.

DeathNote said:
I'm not trying to start up a debate on how many people can tell or not, but seriously, the kbits far from equaling each other. They know basic math.
No, I was laughing with you, not at you. I agree, 160 kbps is kinda low.

MThanded

FStop7 said:
I need a link

Sentry said:
:lol
lol.gif
BUT IT FUCKING WORKS! Jobs knows how to sell his shit. I wonder how much of the iPods success was purely due to his marketing side.
A lot. Apple's marketing has been on point for the last 10 years.

dankir

FStop7 said:

Was trying to find this actually, was a good read.

MThanded

Macrumors forums are under extreme load. Can't even get there right now. Must be that sprint rumor.

FStop7

Banned
cooljeanius said:
Link to this please?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

This one is my favorite.

macrumors freakout guy said:
Any way you spin this it is:
1. Not revolutionary. Big capacity mp3 players already exist. With Creative Labs' entrance into the firewire arena, future nomads will have similar specs and better prices.
2. A bad fit. This product is outside Apple's core competancy - computing devices. When many are calling for a pda, they release an MP3 player.
3. Without a future. This Christmas you will see mp3 players be commoditized. Meaning that the players from Korea will be way less expensive tha iPod. The real money is in DRM and distribution (ala Real Musicnet). If Apple were smart they would be focusing on high gross revenue from services rather than a playback device.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
This reply reads like one of those "goddamn" joke posts. "Looks at this goddamn iPod...you know you want this bitch!"

You are all a bunch of imbecile crybabies. I bet you haven't even gone over the specs and all you can do is whine and cry because you didn't get a Newton. Get a life! I bet all you do is troll Mac bbs' critizicing Apple and how they can NEVER meet your stupid way out of this world expectations.

THIS THING IS AMAZING!!!

It's not jus ANOTHER mp3 player. It's a BREAKTROUGH mp3 player!

Let's go over this:

- 5 GB ULTRA-SLIM hard drive, all in a tiny and beautiful enclosure the size of a deck of cards. Does ANY mp3 player out there have anything like it? Didn't think so. Only HUGE CRAP ASS ONES like the Nomad Jukebox. This fits in your palm or in your pocket!

- FIREWIRE! Steve transmitted 1Gb of data onto the device in about 2 minutes. 1Gb!!! Does ANY mp3 player out there do this? Didn't think so. You have to wait 5 hours for your Nomad Jukebox to load up.

- 20 minute anti-skip protection. 20 minutes! Does ANY mp3 player out there have this? Didn't think so.

- Powered OFF THE FIREWIRE BUS. Hook it up to your firewire port and it not only downloads songs. IT CHARGES! Does ANY mp3 player out there have this? Didn't think so.

- DOUBLES AS A STORAGE DEVICE! You can not only carry your music on it, BUT YOUR DATA!!! Does ANY mp3 player out there do this? Didn't think so.

- 10 Hour battery! Recharges in just 1 hour!!! Does any mp3 player out there have such an advanced battery made out of lithium polymer? Didn't think so.

- Auto-sync! Hook up the player, and it downloads your mp3 collection. You don't even have to push or click anything! Does ANY mp3 player out there have this? Didn't think so.

- Apple's beautiful and intuitive interface! The interface in this thing reminds me of the first macs. This is the macintosh revolution of mp3 players! It is so amazing. You can browse your songs by artist, album, playlist, genre, anything! All with a few buttons and an awesome scrollwheel. Wait 'till you use one and you will see how amazing it is. Does ANY mp3 player out there provide this easy of use and make mp3 listening so practical? NO!

Apple hit a HOME RUN with this thing, and just as always proved that there's no one that can make products like them. Way to go Apple!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
MThanded said:
Our forum server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Edit: worked after i logged in. Not allowing anonymous viewers it seems.
looks like their whole forum isn't working for anonymous

MThanded

DeathNote said:
looks like their whole forum isn't working for anonymous
its that sprint rumor. If sprint gets iphone 5 timed exclusive the tears will be shed. I will drink them.

Rapstah

3N16MA said:
Apple.com homepage October 23, 2001:

http://i.imgur.com/6cwn3.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Why the hell did websites back then actually call their plugin stuff "Quicktimes"? And I don't even want to know what an iCard is.

MThanded

I remember at some point I had this
J9mBy.jpg

BpeYc.jpg

You could play snake on the damn remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom