• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look Back at the Original "Real" Power Rangers: Super Sentai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nairume

Banned
As somebody who is liking what I've seen of Ohranger thus far (though admittedly, it's probably colored by my fondness for Zeo), I can see why the constant tonal shifts would have turned viewers off from the series.

Within minutes, you can shift from scenes of the Bananoia Empire causing mass destruction and the Cogs actually presenting a legitimate threat to the rangers (re: elite soldiers) bumbling around fights and being cartoonishly terrified of wildlife.

As someone who has never seen more than a few episodes of MMPR on a whim a few year back, it amused the Hell out of me when their weapons clearly said Zyuranger on them.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Didn't Ohranger do so bad the series almost got cancelled?

It didn't do well but it wasn't prompting any cancellation calls from what I know. There's a lot of urban myths regarding Super Sentai getting canceled for one reason or another and they've never been substantivated.

What happened to Ohranger is unfortunate, but it was basically like if you tried to make an action show about invading alien terrorists and then 9/11 happened. Yeah they had to tone it down.

Are there any sentai series from the 90s+ that has that darker tone of ohranger but the whole way throughout? Also, how are the ninja series?

Defuser

As someone who has never seen more than a few episodes of MMPR on a whim a few year back, it amused the Hell out of me when their weapons clearly said Zyuranger on them.
Another trivia : In the MMPR episodes where the putties transform themselves into evil rangers, their weapons are actually what the Zyurangers actually used when unmorphed. Iirc they have a episode where they look for additional powers which transfrom their weapons into the iconic Ranger weapons which allows to combine into Power cannon.

massoluk

Banned
I understand why Power Rangers has to change their series up but why exactly don't Sentai series go as long as possible?
Toys. You get to sell new toys
Super Sentai did a sequel once though, Sun Vulcan.
Also kids don't have to watch Twitch marathon to catch up on Season 3. Just jump right in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I actually scoured YouTube this weekend for a video of"how exactly did they turn an episode of Sentai into Power Rangers?"

Like this seems like it would be a really interesting process to me.
You have your stock footage monster of the week.
You need to write a story around it.
Film new bits to shove into the chopped out footage.
Dub the fight scenes.
Add cheesy 90s guitar riffs randomly and a public service announcement on bullying at the end.

And yet as far as I can tell, no such documentary exists.

This gets even more bonkers when you realize Saban decided to keep the Zyuranger costumes for 3ish seasons? Invented a new Villain in Lord Zed... And then spliced over white ranger footage from the next Sentai season over the Zyuranger cast?
Wha?
Absolutely bonkers method of TV show making...

https://youtu.be/oAmCHUBtBqs

notice me super senpai!
giphy.gif

Amalthea

Banned
Does anybody from French-Gaf know why Liveman and Jetman never got a French DVD release? Would be great to have at least Liveman with subtitles in a language that I now understand (unlike 27 years ago when I originally caught the French episodes on TV).

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Living in Japan in the mid 80's I had a super sentai outfit. Don't remember what color, but I'm sure there's a picture of me somewhere.
By the time it got big in the US, I was like 12 or so an I remember having my first condescending pretentious "I used to like this before you all liked it" tantrum in response.

It didn't do well but it wasn't prompting any cancellation calls from what I know. There's a lot of urban myths regarding Super Sentai getting canceled for one reason or another and they've never been substantivated.

What happened to Ohranger is unfortunate, but it was basically like if you tried to make an action show about invading alien terrorists and then 9/11 happened. Yeah they had to tone it down.

Isn't that exactly what happened to Time Force? It originally aired when 9/11 occurred and they scrubbed out scenes of building destruction and an unfortunate shot of a mecha on top of the twin towers that was always on the opening.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Isn't that exactly what happened to Time Force? It originally aired when 9/11 occurred and they scrubbed out scenes of building destruction and an unfortunate shot of a mecha on top of the twin towers that was always on the opening.

I suppose so.

WillyFive

Yes, but with Ohrwnger it was more than just choosing to use different footage, but rather it was a more notable tonal shift across the entirety of the show. You don't start a show like one did with Ohranger and end it with dancing robots.

Jacce

Banned
To those trying to get into it breaking down the series by head writer is really the easiest way to go:

Shouzo Uehara:
Gorenger (1975–1977)
J.A.K.Q. (1977)
Battle Fever J (1979–1980)
Denziman (1980–1981)
Sun Vulcan (1981–1982)

Hirohisa Soda:
Goggle-V (1982–1983)
Dynaman (1983–1984)
Bioman (1984–1985)
Changeman (1985–1986)
Flashman (1986–1987)
Maskman (1987–1988)
Liveman (1988–1989)
Turboranger (1989–1990)
Fiveman (1990–1991)

Toshiki Inoue:
Jetman (1991–1992)

Noboru Sugimura (also wrote the stories for Resident Evil 1-4, Onimusha 1-3, Dino Crisis 1-3, and Devil May Cry):
Zyuranger (1992–1993) aka: Power Rangers Season 1
Dairanger (1993–1994) aka: Power Rangers Season 2
Kakuranger (1994–1995) aka: Power Rangers Season 3/Alien Rangers
Ohranger (1995–1996) aka: Power Rangers Zeo

Yoshio Urasawa:
Carranger (1996–1997) aka: Power Rangers Turbo

After that it gets messier with a lot of switching around of head writers.

Yes, the guy who wrote pretty much every major Capcom game (and co-founded Flagship) from the mid-90's through early 00's created the seasons that the most popular Power Rangers seasons were adapted from.

sibarraz

Banned
Copyright marks suggest they don't own the brand, only the licensed footage.

It caught my attention that in the movie which has zero toei material they still said that it was based on the super sentai series by toei, so I wondered if they still saw some money from it

Pluto

Copyright marks suggest they don't own the brand, only the licensed footage.
I'm pretty sure they do co-own it, the treat super sentai and power rangers as a single brand (in their financial reports both the japanese and western versions are referred to as super sentai in the japanese language version and power rangers in the english language version), Korea stopped dubbing Power Rangers a few years ago and now dubs sentai but retained the Power Rangers title.
As far as Toei is concerned Kyuranger and Ninja Steel are the current seasons of the same franchise airing in different parts of the world.

And most importantly, when Disney owned Power Rangers they wanted to do an animated series and Toei put the kibosh on that. You don't tell Disney "No" unless you're a co-owner (and presumably in a stronger position), the animated series could have used original designs to circumvent the footage/design ownership if that was an issue but Toei has direct control over what Power Rangers is and can be.

Itsuki

Even though the story isn't one of the best, I enjoyed Zyuranger a lot when I watched it for the first time. Probably because I always wanted to see how the original version of the Power Rangers was. Also I love the opening song!

I'm more curious than anything else:
I'm not understanding the terminology and "familytree" of these series. Can someone explain it in layman's terms or give an American equivalent?

Is super sentai a genre and "zyuranger", "jetman" etc series within the genre? Or is it a brand or company? And are these various series plucked and rebranded as a new season of MMPR?

Sou Da

Is it that it's never happening? Because I assumed as much, but has there actually been a statement to that effect?

It happened. It's one of the worst seasons of Power Rangers of all time.

They taped it on to their Goseiger season and ignored the pirate theme.

Jacce

Banned
I'm more curious than anything else:
I'm not understanding the terminology and "familytree" of these series. Can someone explain it in layman's terms or give an American equivalent?

Is super sentai a genre and "zyuranger", "jetman" etc series within the genre? Or is it a brand or company? And are these various series plucked and rebranded as a new season of MMPR?

Super Sentai is the series, not a genre (the genre is typically called Tokusatsu). Zyuranger and Jetman are different seasons of the series.

Like how in the US we have Power Rangers (aka Super Sentai). But often the different seasons have their own unique names and Power Rangers. Zyuranger, Jetman, Dairanger, etc is like how we have Power Rangers Neo, Turbo, In Space...etc.

Basically Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is a combination of Zyuranger and Dairanger. Alien Rangers is from Kakuranger. Power Rangers Neo is from Ohranger. Power Ranger Turbo is from Carranger.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm pretty sure they do co-own it, the treat super sentai and power rangers as a single brand (in their financial reports both the japanese and western versions are referred to as super sentai in the japanese language version and power rangers in the english language version), Korea stopped dubbing Power Rangers a few years ago and now dubs sentai but retained the Power Rangers title.
As far as Toei is concerned Kyuranger and Ninja Steel are the current seasons of the same franchise airing in different parts of the world.

And most importantly, when Disney owned Power Rangers they wanted to do an animated series and Toei put the kibosh on that. You don't tell Disney "No" unless you're a co-owner (and presumably in a stronger position), the animated series could have used original designs to circumvent the footage/design ownership if that was an issue but Toei has direct control over what Power Rangers is and can be.

You're confusing Toei (movie making company) with Bandai (toy company).
The new movie for example has no Toei credits on it other than "Based on" at the end, and in Japan, Toei acts as a distributor for it.

Jacce

Banned
The new movie for example has no Toei credits on it other than "Based on" at the end, and in Japan, Toei acts as a distributor for it.

Yeah Bandai does the toys for both. Well they essentially release the same toys here as in Japan since all the toys are based on the mechs/in suit characters so they dont have to change really anything.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah Bandai does the toys for both. Well they essentially release the same toys here as in Japan since all the toys are based on the mechs/in suit characters so they dont have to change really anything.

You wish they were the same

hirokazu

Toys. You get to sell new toys
Super Sentai did a sequel once though, Sun Vulcan.
Also kids don't have to watch Twitch marathon to catch up on Season 3. Just jump right in.
They can also get rid of the cast before they start asking for more money to continue their role. Something Power Ranger caught onto quite quickly.

Still kinda amazed they actually made a separate SH Figurarts for MMPR Yellow Ranger instead of just rebranding the Japanese release.
But...why?

Pluto

You're right, the financial reports I referred too are Bandai's, not Toei's.
But Toei did stop Disney from doing a cartoon, that was part of the reason Disney lost interest in PR, they weren't able to exploit the brand as much and as freely as they wanted to.

And how can Toei not co-own PR? Without them there'd be no Power Rangers, if they own the footage and designs they own a chunk of the show.

They can also get rid of the cast before they start asking for more money to continue their role. Something Power Ranger caught onto quite quickly.

But...why?

Ironic since the yellow ranger didn't have a female build in MMPR since it was played by a male and just dubbed over.

Thats what makes it surprising, especially with SHFigurarts being a Japanese import collector toyline.

I guess they did it because unlike the actors all the males use a single base sculpt and it would have made it even more noticeable than it was on the show.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You're right, the financial reports I referred too are Bandai's, not Toei's.
But Toei did stop Disney from doing a cartoon, that was part of the reason Disney lost interest in PR, they weren't able to exploit the brand as much and as freely as they wanted to.

And how can Toei not co-own PR? Without them there'd be no Power Rangers, if they own the footage and designs they own a chunk of the show.

They can own the footage but not the trademark.
I dunno, who knows what goes on in those contracts really, I'm just looking at copyright credits.

alternade

Random trivia I'm aware of:
* Turbo's Sentai equivalent was a goofy comedy, which Turbo desperately fought against and failed.
* In Space's Sentai was actually based on video games and electronics, not space.
* Probably obvious, but Lost Galaxy's Sentai had nothing to do with space. It was about super hippies.
* RPM's Sentai was also a goofy comedy. RPM fought against that more successfully.
* Two series were skipped during the Neo Saban era. One is spy themed, and probably shouldn't have been skipped. The other is train themed, and celebrates public transportation, so it's understandable why they skipped that. They are probably going to skip a recent animal-themed Sentai, but the suits look like ass, so I'm fine with that.

Kakuranger/Alien Rangers?

Still kinda amazed they actually made a separate SH Figurarts for MMPR Yellow Ranger instead of just rebranding the Japanese release.

I'm certain this was done because Blue Fin has exclusive rights to distribute Tamashii toys in the US, and that packing wouldn't mesh well/couldn't be changed to match the general release MMPR toys in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom