• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look on Wii U Netflix: Gamepad destined to be your best movie companion ?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's easy to picture how people will quickly fall in love with the tablet, when it allows you to:

- check your weight in the morning and pedometer results at the end of the day (WiiFitU at a nice price should do wonders).
- check news, weather, etc., usual Nintendo channels
- check new records set by your friends in your games
- videochat with your friends
- play your favorite game, sit aside from your wife who watches her TV show
- control your TV volume, change channels
- send and receive swapnote/flipnote mails
- and so forth, there will probably be far more features revealed for the tablet.

Compared to an iPad, gaming will be its core function, and we can expect GamePad apps to have the typical Nintendo charm (swapnote comes to mind).

Knowing it will register 12 user profiles, a game like Animal crossing should shine on it, as a great family comunication tool between parents and kids, with personal messages left in a playful way.

Netflick is a nice feature, among lots of nice features.

Raistlin

so like, what do all this have to do with netflix using a tablet gamepad on an entirely different console and interface? Why would anyone with a tablet use this feature for netflix through the xbox 360 when xbox and their tablet both have separate netflix's?
See my last post.

Why do you keep coming back to Netflix in this overall discussion? And even then, what are you asking? What is that you want Netflix to do? And what sources are you looking for for other statements? You keep claiming I'm making untrue statements.

smartglass should not be a variable argument compared to certain wii u features such as this one. The thread title says it all brah, you can't just argue something irrelevant to the OP. that would make your argument pointless in such a thread.
It's evolved into a more general media companion discussion brah. I didn't come in here and randomly bring up those other things ... I was responding to other posters that had already brought it up.

Again though, what exactly are you asking here? Based on the OP and the GameTrailers video the Wii U pad is used for selecting movies to play on Netflix. So without interrupting the content being displayed you can search around Netflix to queue up some next, switch to a different video, etc. There isn't any deeper integration ala MS's video service or HBO Go, correct (real-time extra content that plays along with the video)?

SmartGlass can and will be used for that. Whether it will have deeper integration as demonstrated for MS's video service or HBO Go depends on whether Netflix wants to develop that (or MS works with them to do it).

It's easy to picture how people will quickly fall in love with the tablet, when it allows you to check:

- check your weight in the morning and pedometer results at the end of the day (WiiFitU at a nice price should do wonders).
- check news, weather, etc., usual Nintendo channels
- check new records set by your friends in your games
- videochat with your friends
- play your favorite game, sit aside from your wife who watches her TV show
- control your TV volume, change channels
- send and receive swapnote/flipnote mails
- and so forth, there will of course be far more options revealed for the tablet.

Compared to an iPad, gaming will be its core function, and we can expect GamePad apps to have the typical Nintendo charm (swapnote comes in mind).

Knowing it will register 12 user profiles, a fame like Animal crossing should shine on it, as a great family comunication tool between parents and kids, with personal messages left in a playful way.

Netflick is a nice feature, among lots of nice features.

Huh? How many are going to 'love' checkig their weight in the morning?
News/weather = phone and tablet
Video chat = phone and tablet
Play games = tablet and phones
Control tv= tablet and phones

Lets not try and argue that the non gaming features will sell the device. Its going to be Mario and other Nintendo IPs that make or break te device sales wise. Especially with rumors that Apple is opening the Apple TV up for third parties its gonna be difficult.

border

I am not impressed by SmartGlass at all, and am more interested in the UPad.

At the same time, it's infinitely irritating to see the WiiU defenders pretend that SG requires a $500 iPad. Currently there are 10" tablets that cost less than $200. Not to mention that SmartGlass runs on smartphones, many of which are free or inexpensive.

marc^o^

Lots of people do that, and the GamePad will show their weight variations through the year with graphs. It's a plus.

Of course other devices can do what GamePad does and more, but it has for it the fact that is is a gaming device, built around a playful/social experience. People will associate it with fun, that's why I think they will love it.

dock

It would be great if the controller could display the video at the same time. This would be the ultimate 'make a cup of tea' mode, so you can make a drink but not interrupt the movie.

I hope the Wii U has DVD playback with this feature also.

statham

the thing with wiiU tablet is that you can't take it with you, which is a pretty big deal. and with Ipad 2 sales sorings along with galaxy & kindle fire/nook along with the phones(Note). I feel Nintendo is 2 years late on this tablet thing.

Raistlin

Only on an expensive smart-tv. Phones and tablets generally have no IR capability.
Several providers actually offer apps that work over WiFi. Obviously that limits it to only controlling their set-top box though (unless it happens to support HDMI CEC - then you may have more robust control). So in general just the box and volume (assuming you use your box for volume) - it not a 'universal remote'.

A few phones and tablets do have IR built in however (Sony for example). More broadly though, there are universal remote solutions for smartphones and tablets. Some do direct IR from the device via a tiny dongle, while others use WiFi to talk to an IR blaster. Obviously these solutions involve extra money and setup, so it's great that Wii U has it integrated, but the point is there are solutions. So with that in mind, people would weigh just how well these things work, what features they have, etc when deciding what's their best solution.

Which begs the question I brought up earlier - just how robust will this remote control functionality actually be? While I'm sure it will be fine for some, until they demonstrate it's capabilities I'm not sure we should assume it will perform as well as more serious solutions.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm not sure what's the point. You have a TV in front of you.

Why bother with a smaller and worse looking screen? You can't even take the thing out of the living room to watch. Might as well just get something else.

The point is if multiple people want to watch different things on the TV you can do that with the controller.

the thing with wiiU tablet is that you can't take it with you, which is a pretty big deal. and with Ipad 2 sales sorings along with galaxy & kindle fire/nook along with the phones(Note). I feel Nintendo is 2 years late on this tablet thing.
Yep. Exactly. Well, it depends how theyre marketig the Wii U. Are they going to focus on the Mario games or the tablet like apps. Id its the former they will be ok, if its the latter they will be too late imo.

DynamicG

Do people on this forum actually talk to each other or just at each other?

There are lots of options this generation to do all of these things. I agree that people interested in a set top box or media center should likely look elsewhere, but some people DID enjoy checking their weight on Wii fit each day. Some people will use the WiiU for netflix and other media for whatever reason.

There are 2 tablets, 2 smartphones, 2 laptops, 1 computer and several gaming consoles in my house. I have used netflix on almost every single one of them for various reasons. Consumers aren't always going in the logical direction or use the thing that is "best."

So what are some of the areas of the market where this might work? The only way I can see this as being a big deal is with kids. The screen is cased in plastic and doesn't have many actual electronic parts inside. This seems like a pretty durable way to let kids watch something on netflix while their parents do something else on the TV or do something else entirely.

Any other ideas?

marc^o^

Sweet, so we can recharge in between movies!?
+ 3hours movies are not that common. About that, I saw an Ubisoft interview where the dev said GamePad had 4 to 5 hours autonomy, which is more than worst case 3 hours scenario mentioned by Nintendo.

It would be great if the controller could display the video at the same time. This would be the ultimate 'make a cup of tea' mode, so you can make a drink but not interrupt the movie.

I hope the Wii U has DVD playback with this feature also.

doubtful, the Wii didn't have dvd playback did it?

marc^o^

There's also the fact that you can switch between HDMI, Composite, or Component inputs.
+ Power on/Power off the TV. Basically becoming the TV remote, when wiimote just looked like a remote.

It's an extremely clever way to compete with Tv time, as when you watch a show you are a second away from checking all the console content I described above.

There's also the fact that you can switch between HDMI, Composite, or Component inputs.
... Ad youll be doing that how often? Also you can still download apps that turn your phone or tab into a remote to control these functions. Shoot, i was doing that with my PSP years ago with a homebrew app. My old ass tv of 10 years can be turned off and on via my PSP and phone.

Raistlin

There are solutions mentioned above. Though I'd have to wonder why you'd be switching inputs when this only really has utility while using the Wii U?

What it comes down to though are two things:

1) Is the person looking for a serious universal remote? This ain't one since it only makes sense within the confines of actually using the Wii U itself. You aren't going to be using this when watching a BluRay, etc. Even within those confines though, until they demonstrate its capabilities I would not expect this to be particularly robust or flexible. For a simple setup though it should work well enough. If you are someone that likes to mess around with TV or receiver settings mid-stream ... this may not be optimal

2) Where it really gets hurt though, regardless of the above, is battery life. Above all else, it's pretty damning for this usage in a general sense. You just can't use this for heavy consumption which obviously hurts this a bit as a differentiator among set-top boxes.

It's a nice feature to be sure, but it's obviously quite limited. For what it's designed to do it's great. The problem is some people are looking at it for more than it's intended.

If Nintendo markets this as a gaming machine that has tablet like features, thats one thing. Ifthey focus alot on the tablet like features in marketing then thats going to cause issues imo.

Man, maybe it's because of the OPs initial statement but a lot of people here seem intent of discrediting the pad as much as they can. Was there these types of comments about the DVD drives or multimedia functions in the other consoles?

Man, maybe it's because of the OPs initial statement but a lot of people here seem intent of discrediting the pad as much as they can. Was there these types of comments about the DVD drives or multimedia functions in the other consoles?
Discrediting the functions? No. Discrediting the idea that these functions are revolutionary and make the console worth a purchase? Yes.

DynamicG

As long as it has captioning, then it'll be good. :)

You can guarantee the captioning will be inferior to any other thing that can caption and it is a waste of your money to even think about using it. Even if you buy a WiiU, you should avoid using the captioning. ;)

marc^o^

Discrediting the functions? No. Discrediting the idea that these functions are revolutionary and make the console worth a purchase? Yes.
These features I described will actually be as important to some as an amount of ram feature can be to others.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
News/weather = phone and tablet
Video chat = phone and tablet
Play games = tablet and phones
Control tv= tablet and phones
Dude... So do you have no other device other than tablets and phones since you seem to think they do everything for everyone? Will they kill every other device including the PS4 and Nextbox since you seem to disagree that WiiU can be attractive even though it offers these functions which have made tablets and smartphones sell that much (although, that vaguely similar apps exist doesn't mean people are aware of them and donwloaded them given the flooded store, having many built in and others widely advertised ensures more of its owners will know of them), and is coupled with (at worst, only) Nintendo games which have proven attractive?

I like how you project what you don't like into what people won't like with challenging everything he presents so aggressively too. Count me as one of those people who like the Wii Fit graphs. Seeing I've lost however many kg in a year works wonders for self esteem and to keep trying to better one's self. Sure, I could have made an excel graph doing the exact same thing, or keep notes in my iPad2, but guess what, I didn't do that, nor did I try to search for an app, and yet still use that function when it's made available so easily and intuitively to me. WiiU seems to take that one step further, among other things. Loads of people also used Netflix on Wii, even though tablets and laptops and whatever other systems also exist, and even though 360 got it first too.

Still, we're under the gaming side and the biggest bullet point is the games, but if you wanna be that silly, every other games system in the last few decades has played games too, and yet people still bought those that came after them even though the playing games bullet point was no longer something revolutionary, if the way these bullet points are done doesn't matter as you seem to imply when you present everything vaguely similar in a "duh, already done and already sold man, who needs WiiU?" way.

And actually, yeah, if WiiU couldn't do many of the things Wii already does, I'm sure it could be considered a downgrade for different groups of people and therefor something not worth investing on, so to say it's ONLY the games that will sell it is also silly. If that was the case Nintendo wouldn't have bothered to have any of that other stuff. Internet reactions would have 1000x worse.

PS: it would be cool if they let you use certain Wii Fit U events that don't need you to pay close visual attention on the Upad/balance board and watch something on Netflix on TV at the same time. I've spent countless hours (and calories!) watching various TV series on my PC while working out and making it easier without having to have multiple devices on (this room sure does get hot in the summer time and the PC being on doesn't help) would be great. Although I'm in Europe so I don't have Netflix, I can see it being a function others would enjoy too. Even if they don't offer it at launch, they should add it at some point.

Raistlin

They will actually be as important to some as the amount of ram feature can be to others.
But for those people, there are alternatives that are objectively better in many aspects.

Obviously ones' personal requirements and disposable income (depending on what other sorts of gear you already own) come into play. Certainly for some people this will be a great set-top box ... for others, they'll want to look elsewhere.

But for those people, there are alternatives that are objectively better in many aspects.

Obviously ones' personal requirements and disposable income (depending on what other sorts of gear you already own) come into play. Certainly for some people this will be a great set-top box ... for others, they'll want to look elsewhere.

Like I said...this is no different than consoles playing DVDs and streaming Netflix and Hulu but no one seemed to care about those. How come people are all of a sudden against multimedia convergence in consoles?!

BiggNife

Everyone talking about how Smartglass already makes this obsolete should probably realize that a whole lot of people still don't own tablets.

goomba

Banned
Sure you could use smartglass or apple tv to do similar things, the key for the Wii-U is that its all integrated which means non geeks will be able to get this working without help from a geek.

lednerg

You know, since Smart Glass is web-based, you should be able to use your Wii U Gamepad for it. It's a win-win for everyone!

Cipherr

Sure you could use smartglass or apple tv to do similar things, the key for the Wii-U is that its all integrated which means non geeks will be able to get this working without help from a geek.

I don't even think its that scientific. Its just a case of, these days, what electronic device worth its salt can't do these things? Its not really shocking, revolutionary or anything. But dont ship a product without the capability or there will be hell to pay. These days stuff like this is just the standard. Netflix will be on all the next generation consoles. I really hope we dont have to have a throwdown thread like this for each one... this is ridiculous.

Top Bottom