• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

a love letter to 'Soul Bubbles' - one of the best games on the nintendo ds

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
bock, please, tell the team to make sure the game works well on the OG ipad too!

bock said:
Visited the team making the iPad version yesterday. The game as I played it on iPad2 was super smooth! They are reworking textures to be higher resolution and controls have been completely reworked.

SoulBubbles-iPad-01.jpg
That looks incredible! I've been doing my best to avoid the iPad, but my willpower is fading...

Also, bock, when you say "the team," is it being ported by different people? Does mekensleep even exist anymore?

jesusraz

Have they got any thoughts on the next step is the iPad version sells well? Still no plans for support DSiWare/3DSWare, or even put this updated version on WiiWare?

bock

jarosh: we don't have a date yet, but it seems pretty close now.

metsallica, jesusraz: It is being ported by a company called Eurocenter located around Paris. Mekensleep exists, tho it has shrunk down notably and hasn't the resources to do much work on SB. They're now working on a totally different game called 'Meatspace Invasion'. I don't think there's any intent for Mekensleep or I to work within the Nintendo ecosystem again, but heh, never say never.

jarosh

bock, is there any way i can acquire any of the promotional material, any posters, concept art, ANYTHING related to soul bubbles you guys might still have lying around and have no use for anymore? will pay ze monies for it! feel free to post here or pm me about it ;)

bock

Jarosh,
Do you means original art? we've got the sketches etc by Ben stored away and i don't think this is ever going anywhere out, but some scanning would be nice.
As for posters Eidos made some out of promo artwork, they didn't even tell us back then so I once bought a pair off eBay being myself curious to see them. I don't think we've got any physical stuff to give away really.

I've been playing the iPad version lately, progress is a bit sporadic but its coming along and more than ever we're hoping it can get released shortly. The porting team and us had to redesign quite a lot of the controls.

I've been also working on my spare time on cleaning up the source code - legally speaking - so we can release it as we promised a long time ago.

Mathieu made this pantsy artwork before we split up in reference to Mekensleep being a play on words on, hmm, pants.
ShamanInPants.jpg

notsol337

marked forever
I won this game writing an essay for another forum, and it was really great! I might have to pop it into my 3ds and give it another go <3

What happened to iOS plans for this game?

Jarosh,
Do you means original art? we've got the sketches etc by Ben stored away and i don't think this is ever going anywhere out, but some scanning would be nice.
As for posters Eidos made some out of promo artwork, they didn't even tell us back then so I once bought a pair off eBay being myself curious to see them. I don't think we've got any physical stuff to give away really.

I've been playing the iPad version lately, progress is a bit sporadic but its coming along and more than ever we're hoping it can get released shortly. The porting team and us had to redesign quite a lot of the controls.

I've been also working on my spare time on cleaning up the source code - legally speaking - so we can release it as we promised a long time ago.

Mathieu made this pantsy artwork before we split up in reference to Mekensleep being a play on words on, hmm, pants.
ShamanInPants.jpg

bock

Was browsing for some data and thought I'd collect a few more early variety shots, you can see a lot of things changed over the months.

SB-20060221-blue.png

SB-20060720-Ambre.png

SB-20060722-title.png

SB-20060831-image0064.png

SB-20060912-image0002.png

SB-20060917-TGS2006-18.png

SB-20060918-image0001.png

SB-20070213-Sumie.png

SB-20070222-Tuto2.png

There was a time where souls were made of morphing polygons but I cannot find a screenshot.

zigg

I wonder if it's possible for me to acquire the Japanese version yet. I feel like doing it for collecting's sake.

bock

Where are these guys now?
Team's all spread out
Thomas made lots of proto, a game called Perfect Cell on iOS with Mobygames, now at Dakko Dakko; Olivier worked on Meatspace Invasion (iOS) and also various protos; Ben in animation, comics; Yubaba been making audio for all of Arkedo (Hell Yeah!) and plenty of french games; And I worked at Q-Games (pixeljunk shooter 1&2, pixeljunk 4am) and now at Media Molecule (Tearaway).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, I'd imported the Japanese version last year (I had no idea where the heck I could get an English copy) because I wanted to finally give the game a shot after reading AniHawk's 2008 vote for it.

It's really cute and creative, and the music and level design are great. Very unique and cohesive (I couldn't help but to compare it to other platformers that introduce new concepts with new levels but they feel like they're shoehorned into the levels as opposed to seamlessly being integrated into the level design and the overall game--this game does it seamlessly and cohesively and it pleases me). It just kept delivering.

Sagitario

Oh, I'd imported the Japanese version last year (I had no idea where the heck I could get an English copy) because I wanted to finally give the game a shot after reading AniHawk's 2008 vote for it.

It's really cute and creative, and the music and level design are great. Very unique and cohesive (I couldn't help but to compare it to other platformers that introduce new concepts with new levels but they feel like they're shoehorned into the levels as opposed to seamlessly being integrated into the level design and the overall game--this game does it seamlessly and cohesively and it pleases me). It just kept delivering.

The game either got a small reprint or a few extra copies reappeared at retailers warehouse (most likely) around February of 2012.
I know cause that's when I got my copy.

Empty

damn. rip menkensleep (seemingly based on bock's post). at least you guys are still working on cool stuff separately, so much talent.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The game either got a small reprint or a few extra copies reappeared at retailers warehouse (most likely) around February of 2012.
I know cause that's when I got my copy.
Ehhhhh? Nooooo! Stupid Canadian Amazon didn't turn anything up when I checked for it. :|

Oh well, the import was worth it.

bock

damn. rip menkensleep (seemingly based on bock's post). at least you guys are still working on cool stuff separately, so much talent.
Mekensleep is still running with Olivier and a small team (it was always a small set of people).

Team's all spread out
Thomas made lots of proto, a game called Perfect Cell on iOS with Mobygames, now at Dakko Dakko; Olivier worked on Meatspace Invasion (iOS) and also various protos; Ben in animation, comics; Yubaba been making audio for all of Arkedo (Hell Yeah!) and plenty of french games; And I worked at Q-Games (pixeljunk shooter 1&2, pixeljunk 4am) and now at Media Molecule (Tearaway).

Oh wow, I had no idea! A lot of great stuff there... Perfect Cell was pretty awesome (though a pretty big change from our humble Soul Bubbles stylistically!) and Dakko Dakko has made a couple of the handful of minis that truly stand out. Must admit to never playing Meatspace Invasion, wasn't even familiar with it, but it looks pretty cool! Also I LOVE the music to Hell Yeah (and everything else about it), listen to it regularly (that underwater theme!), had no idea of the SB connection! And damn, your career trajectory is amazing! That's really heartening news!
Mekensleep is still running with Olivier and a small team (it was always a small set of people).
But they haven't shipped anything as Mekensleep since SB, right? I certainly hope not because I'd be very disappointed in myself if I missed it, no matter where it released...

bock

We made the master for Soul Bubbles in Feb 2008 so 10 years ago :)

Today I uploaded a few (super early) prototype video dug from my archives, thought I'd post them here:

Aug 2006

Oct 2005 (super blurry)

Feb 2005 (pc tech test)

Note a new video but still nice one, editor/tooling:

(Lately: Ben and I made the Dragon's Trap remake released last year.)

Last edited:

Blam

Today I uploaded a few (super early) prototype video dug from my archives, thought I'd post them here:

Aug 2006

Oct 2005 (super blurry)

Feb 2005 (pc tech test)

Note a new video but still nice one, editor/tooling:

Really cool to see these small behind the scenes videos from great games like this.

Shiggy

That's all pretty cool to see. What has become of Mekensleep and your other projects?

Last edited:

bock

That's all pretty cool to see. What has become of Mekensleep and your other projects?

I personally moved to Japan shortly after Soul Bubbles so haven't worked there, Olivier prototyped other projects (including Meatspace Invaders, very different from SB) but nothing really took off. I think he closed Mekensleep since then since he hasn't been really living in France anyway. Meanwhile I am back in France :)
It's crazy that ten years have passed already... the DS gaming years were really fun.

Shiggy

I personally moved to Japan shortly after Soul Bubbles so haven't worked there, Olivier prototyped other projects (including Meatspace Invaders, very different from SB) but nothing really took off. I think he closed Mekensleep since then since he hasn't been really living in France anyway. Meanwhile I am back in France :)
It's crazy that ten years have passed already... the DS gaming years were really fun.

Gosh, now I remember that: http://www.igf.com/meatspace-invasion
Not sure if we will see Soul Bubbles again then. Looking forward to playing Wonder Boy when it releases in April :)

Last edited:

zigg

Oh my gosh, this thread! I reread the whole thing top to bottom when I got the email notification; it's making me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I still have my copy. And I have a DSi XL so I can play it in 1:1 pixel mode… 🤔

Top Bottom