• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A love letter to The Wonderful 101

Aizo

Banned
Can I play it all in off tv play? I just moved and don't have a TV. I have owned the game for a while, but was saving it for after I played a couple things.

There are times where I love this game to death.

There are also times when I hate it.

Such is the dichotomy of being a Wonderful 101 fan. It's an absolutely wonderful game that I love with all my heart, but oh God it can also be the absolute worst thing. The level where you go inside
Vorkken
is so bad :p

But, yeah, this game is magnificent. It's flawed, it suffers from Kamiya's obsession with throwing in minigame after minigame, the pacing is utterly abysmal at times, it's terrible at teaching you how to play, etc etc, but once it all clicks for you it's just absolutely amazing to play. Hammering out inputs on the right stick to switch between Unite Morphs is difficult to get your head around, but you'll eventually get it down to a science and it becomes a fantastically intuitive way of switching between 10+ weapons without needing a radial menu or some other clumsier method.

The bossfights are incredible, the story is gleefully ridiculous and often genuinely hilarious, and it's without a doubt the most Platinum Platinum game there is. The sense of constant escalation of hype is taken to the most insane degree in this game; you absolutely aren't ready for what's going to happen at the end. One of the most unique, innovative games you'll ever play; there's just nothing else like it. I think it's Hideki Kamiya's best game, and still the best exclusive game of this generation.

Neff

Such is the dichotomy of being a Wonderful 101 fan. It's an absolutely wonderful game that I love with all my heart, but oh God it can also be the absolute worst thing. The level where you go inside
Vorkken
is so bad :p

That level is definitely a litmus test of W101 competence. It feels like a final level two levels early. It's long, features almost every enemy, asks that you use/mix every character style well, and it starts off being incredibly difficult due to you not being able to make a single mistake without suffering frustrating downtime as your
tiny
team re-assembles. There's also stuff like the drills and extensive platforming making the stage seem much harder than it actually is.

I love it, though. One of the best stages of the game imo.

My favorite game by Platinum, it represents everything I love about them as a developer. Creativity and depth in its game mechanics, charm, and trying things that are completely new, along with all the other nuances that go into making a great game.

I remember playing this the first time,I just couldn't get used to it.I thought the controls were it's downfall...then after giving it time it clicked.Then oh boy is it good,a game which deserved much more exposure and sales.

Please let's have a sequel... NX I'm lookin at you

E-flux

I bought the game recently for 40€ the controls feel super cumbersome for some reason, and it's really hard to tell what enemy attacks can be blocked and what can't, i played Bayonetta for the first time just before i started Wonderful 101 and with Bayonetta i was hooked right in, with Wonderful i keep losing my focus and wishing that the level would end soon.

It was a really creative and cool game. Great presentation and style. The QTE segments weren't all that hot and it was rough around the edges. But it was a cool experience, sad that the game didn't do well enough for a sequel.

danmaku

I could never get into it. I don't have problems with the controls or the combat system, it's just that... it's not fun at all. Even when I do everything right and get a platinum medal, it still feels meh.

Seik

Banned
This will become a timeless classic with the years passing by...at least to me! :p

Game is so unique on its own.

I didn't always enjoy my time with the game (there are times where the camera angle makes platforming frustrating or you are hit from off screen; some of the shmup sections) but the moments where I was enjoying the game are some of my fondest memories in gaming. Flawed game but still one of my favourites.

BillWalton

Neo Member
I struggled through the first operation and found myself extremely disappointed with what I thought would be an awesome game. Then I went to bed. Tried it again in the morning, it clicked right away, and now it's my favorite game of this generation. There's some frustrating sections, but I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a couple of generations. I ended up 100%ing the game which is a ridiculous undertaking, but it was worth it. Experiencing the full depth of the game is a heck of an experience.

NEO0MJ

This will become a timeless classic with the years passing by...at least to me! :p

Game is so unique on its own.

Yeah, definetley the most unique Platinum game of the last three years. While I consider Bayonetta 2 the better game overall this was more fresh.

My favorite Wii U title, Platinum game, and game of 2013. The last 3-4 hours are something alright. It has more heart and soul than just about anything I can think of.

Also GOAT final boss track.

eXistor

Wonderful game and most people who are willing to give the game the time it deserves agree. Games don't always have to be pick up and play, sometimes having to put some serious time into something can be incredibly rewarding as it is with TW101. Nothing wrong with a learning curve.

Wonderful game and most people who are willing to give the game the time it deserves agree. Games don't always have to be pick up and play, sometimes having to put some serious time into something can be incredibly rewarding as it is with TW101. Nothing wrong with a learning curve.

I didn't even care for it at first. I was in fact about to return it.

Basically avoided the biggest mistake I'll likely ever make in my life, at least when it comes to videogames. Thinking about it makes me shudder.

XaosWolf

The final act of TW101 is my all time favourite moment of all gaming. Everytime I think about it makes me smile like an eejit. =D

Theres a pretty bad bit in the middle that is a slog (the mission inside a body) but past that it quickly ramps up to incredible, wonderful and beyond!

Cramoss

One of my favorite games of the generation for fucking sure. I don't know what else to say that has already been said.

Wonderful experience

Piers

Good but not up there with Bayonetta/Metal Gear Rising.
It's a game of trial and error mostly the wrong ways imo

WillyFive

The cutscenes and atmosphere of the game was pitch perfect; and had the best boss battles pretty much ever in gaming.

But as much as I love it; the gameplay is flawed; the isometric camera makes platforming sections really hard to play and your character will frequently fall to their doom at random moments; the mechanics of the game are not very well explained and result in 30 minute long fights with single enemies because you have no idea which attack is supposed to defeat them and the health bar takes forever to go down; and and the high prices of the items to upgrade your combat abilities means that the majority of the time playing the game will involve the same few repetitive attacks.

This would have been the best game ever for a new generation of kids playing video games, but as of this point the game is too hard even for experienced gamers; which is why reviewers blasted it.

And it's not their fault, it's the fault of the game.

As for sales; Nintendo did a lot of work to make sure that the game bombed. It was them that declined the original concept of all Nintendo characters coming together to fight aliens as superheroes; it was them that decided to name the game Wonderful 101 (sounds like a class, instead of a superhero game), and it was them that rejected the original comic book art style for the less unique CG animated cartoon style it has now.

Monocle

Great thread for one of the best games of the generation.

If you're having issues with the controls or gameplay in general:

Make sure to check out Saur's tutorial videos, and the tips on Platinum's blog: part 1, part 2.

Also, start on Easy. No matter what your prior experience with action games might be, start on Easy. It's no fun to get wrecked over and over again while struggling with a combat system that won't really click until you've played through the whole story.

Sorry about the obnoxious post, but this info will hugely increase your enjoyment of the game.

jdstorm

Banned

Make sure to check out Saur's tutorial videos, and the tips on Platinum's blog: part 1, part 2.

Also, start on Easy. No matter what your prior experience with action games might be, start on Easy. It's no fun to get wrecked over and over again while struggling with a combat system that won't really click until you've played through the whole story.

Sorry about the obnoxious post, but this info will hugely increase your enjoyment of the game.

Great post. If you could like GAF posts this would deserve a like

It's definitely a very unique game that won't be imitated any time soon.

When I played it for the first time, it felt like playing Katamari or Mario & Luigi for the first time.

Mechazawa

W101 is a long enough game that I actually wouldn't recommend this. If I'm remembering correctly, when you die in W101, your enemies start off with the same health as where you left off pre-death.

Not great for your score, but it does mean effectively anyone can get through the game on Normal.

Neoxon

It's the Gurren Lagann of Videogames. It's stupid and absurd to such an unbelievable scale. But the genuine feeling and heart that it possesses is ever more greater.
Truer words have never been said. My experience watching that anime is the only thing that got my blood pumping as much as The Wonderful 101 did.

j.rob

The last 1/3rd of this game was absolutely insane.

It's a shame that I'm part of one of the few to experience the game, but I guess it's an elite club.

To all you guys out there that have played and completed W101... I love you guys.

Malus

W101 is a long enough game that I actually wouldn't recommend this. If I'm remembering correctly, when you die in W101, your enemies start off with the same health as where you left off pre-death.

Not great for your score, but it does mean effectively anyone can get through the game on Normal.

I think Bayonetta 2 was easier than 1 and T101 and it's a big part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. I'll probably play all Kamiya games on easy from now on. Not getting smacked around as much makes me feel more free to experiment and play around with the combat system.

Great cast, goofy story, amazing soundtrack, ramps up like a motherfucker and has the greatest final QTE of any videogame ever with the greatest prompt a videogame has ever given. This game was amazing and the incredible amount of post game unlocks and content to work with is staggering.

It's a goddamn shame it did so poorly in sales.

It's the Gurren Lagann of Videogames. It's stupid and absurd to such an unbelievable scale. But the genuine feeling and heart that it possesses is ever more greater.

This is the exact thing that I tell everyone who hasn't played it. It was honestly the best game of 2013 in my opinion. In an era of video games where everyone is asking for something new, fresh, and uniqe, The Wonderful 101 managed to hit all of these points and still managed to fly under the radar (granted, it had a big learning curve).

Here's a link to the high res image of the second picture in the OP: http://evpointmaster.deviantart.com/art/The-Wonderful-101-Ending-Screen-Wallpaper-high-res-421393386

Dreavus

Those blog posts are gold, thanks for those links. Saur's tutorials are great as well. In the last one he makes it sound like they were going to continue, I wonder if he'll ever revisit the series.

I loved it when this image showed up at the end. It just showed you how much stuff was really in the game and the amazing journey you just went on. Really, the best finale in video games.

I think Platinum does that with almost all their games if I'm not mistaken. I mean they did it with Bayo 2.

Top Bottom