• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Message From Daigo Umehara to America Regarding Evolution 2011

I hope he wins, so the role of "fighting game that America is better at than Japan" will go soley to MK.

Until Tokido wins that

QisTopTier said:
Facepalming at this thread so hard. Daigo will prob make like top 32, top 16 if lucky. Daigo sucks at fast paced fighters as in can't adjust.

Didn't he body america 2 or 3 years straight in GG? When GG was popular in america.

Also, isn't he super good at vampire savior? That is fast paced last time I checked.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I swear if Daigo uses Wolverine I'll be disappointed. Please Daigo if you read this, we don't need another 30 mins allotted to Wolverine combos during the span of the tournament.

kthxbai

In Daigo we trust!!!!

934417713_7iWvX-S.jpg

Shit's not a game b

El Sloth

Banned
Hahahaha!

"...the whole world started on equal footing.

We saw how that turned out.:)"

Put all of America on blast with that SSIV montage.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Daaaaaaaaaigoooooooooo!

He plays she-Hulk too? Interesting.

Now that the Gears 3 beta will be over tomorrow I'll be back in fighting games again, and back to using my She-Hulk again.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
El Sloth said:
Hahahaha!

Also kinda funny considering America and Japan aren't really on equal footing in AE at all.

Dahbomb

Daigo is going to get FUCKING RAPED at MVC3. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Believe it.

But he will most likely rape at SSF4AE (Japan had it way longer to abuse the top tier characters).

I am still interested in his MVC3 team and tech. Tokido now uses a Wolverine/Sentinel/Phoenix team and I expect him to get bodied as well. Both might make top 8 or top 16.

El Sloth

Banned
Conceited said:
Also kinda funny considering America and Japan aren't really on equal footing in AE at all.
Yes, this was the immediate though I had after "LOL". I really truly hope the U.S., or the west in general for that matter, doesn't get beaten too bad in AE.

Kimosabae

Banned
Really confused by people not even giving Daigo benefit of the doubt regarding Marvel. It defies logic and all evidence set forth before us. Guy has been a champion and innovator at every 2D fighting game he's ever played, for more than a decade, but because we were better than Japan at one game he didn't give two shits about (Marvel 2), somehow, that makes him a favorite to get bodied?

k.

I really don't expect Daigo to get anything less than top 5 in Marvel.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Kimosabae said:
Really confused by people not even giving Daigo benefit of the doubt regarding Marvel. It defies logic and all evidence set forth before us. Guy has been a champion and innovator at every 2D fighting game he's ever played, for more than a decade, but because we were better than Japan at one game he didn't give two shits about (Marvel 2), somehow, that makes him a favorite to get bodied?

k.

There are both Daigo fans and Daigo haters in this thread, clearly.

However, I think that anyone who follows the FGC and is somewhat objective should have the sense to realize that both Tokido and Daigo have a very good chance at making top 8 in MvC3 at EVO. Anyone who thinks they will get "bodied" is kidding themselves.

Toski

Kimosabae said:

k.

Who is he playing though? Tokido is good, but he's only one guy. Daigo staying in the MvC3 lab all day erryday isn't going to help him much if he isn't playing top level talent.

Japan probably isn't as free at MvC3 as many of us Americans like to believe, but most of hype and top tier players (right now) are American and Daigo (unlike Tokido) has played none of them in a tournament/money match setting. Only reason people are hyped is because Daigo is the SF God and playing Marvel. If this was Mago there wouldn't be a thread.

Kimosabae

Banned
And I don't care who he loses to (assuming he loses): Anyone outside Wong, I'll consider it an upset. Daigo deserves that much respect, IMO.

Unless he somehow manages to show himself to be clearly ass, which would be fucking amusing.

mbmonk

That was a great commercial. Glad they are starting to do those for Evo.

Get hype, put on blast, stay free, etc. etc.

Glad to hear Diago will be playing though. It will be fun to watch that is fo' sho'

Wallach

Conceited said:

However, I think that anyone who follows the FGC and is somewhat objective should have the sense to realize that both Tokido and Daigo have a very good chance at making top 8 in MvC3 at EVO. Anyone who thinks they will get "bodied" is kidding themselves.

Anybody can get bodied when you're talking about MvC 3.

El Sloth

Banned
hamchan said:
Why would anyone hate Daigo? :(
Why would anyone hate *insert sports team that dominates in their league*?

It's not so much hate as it is wanting "your guys" to take down the king.

Vice

El Sloth said:
Hahahaha!

That seems innacurate though. Skill in SFIV, which Japan got first, transfers over to SSFIV and AE in a very direct way as they are all ,fundamentally, the same game with a few differences.

Kimosabae

Banned
Toski said:
Who is he playing though? Tokido is good, but he's only one guy. Daigo staying in the MvC3 lab all day erryday isn't going to help him much if he isn't playing top level talent.

Japan probably isn't as free at MvC3 as many of us Americans like to believe, but most of hype and top tier players (right now) are American and Daigo (unlike Tokido) has played none of them in a tournament/money match setting. Only reason people are hyped is because Daigo is the SF God and playing Marvel. If this was Mago there wouldn't be a thread.

MvC 3 is a completely new game, dude. No one cares about the precedence set by America in regards to Marvel 2, so there's no reason why a community in Japan can't pick the game up there, innovate within their own paradigm and come to America with dominant gameplay. Also, it's not as if Japan didn't play Marvel at all.

Oh, and there's this thing called the internet, too. And there's waaaay more footage of our competitive players than there are of theirs. Who knows how large their Marvel community even might be at this point?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Conceited said:

If he does go to CEO, we can make better judgments, but yeah he has a lot of talent to shut down if he's trying to make it up to top 8. From Yipes to Remix to Chris G to Wong to Combofiend to Marn to many more, he has his work cut out. Some of these guys are MvC3 innovators in their own right.

Vice said:
That seems innacurate though. Skill in SFIV, which Japan got first, transfers over to SSFIV and AE in a very direct way as they are all ,fundamentally, the same game with a few differences.
Really the only fighting game skills I see transferring over to MvC3 are Brawl skills, as you can see by all the potent Brawl players in MvC3. Anecdotal evidence I've seen seems to agree with that. And ofcourse MvC2 skills, but even MvC2 players had a rough time adjusting to MvC3 (Ross, etc.).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
mr. puppy said:
whats is his team? I saw She-hulk at the end. So shehulk/tron/something?
You can't assume any of those are his team, that's basically just him showing off, hey I'm not a total scrub at this game, I have execution. Someone in the MvC3 thread said it's likely he'll keep the team he's running to himself before professionally debuting it, and I'm willing to believe that.

Also, I wonder how Daigo adjusts to Marvel-kind of shit talking.

Wallach

enzo_gt said:
You can't assume any of those are his team, that's basically just him showing off, hey I'm not a total scrub at this game, I have execution. Someone in the MvC3 thread said it's likely he'll keep the team he's running to himself before professionally debuting it, and I'm willing to believe that.

Headphones. Inside a football helmet.

Toski

Kimosabae said:
MvC 3 is a completely new game, dude. No one cares about the precedence set by America in regards to Marvel 2, so there's no reason why a community in Japan can't pick the game up there, innovate within their own paradigm and come to America with dominant gameplay. Also, it's not as if Japan didn't play Marvel at all.

Oh, and there's this thing called the internet, too. And there's waaaay more footage of our competitive players than there are of theirs. Who knows how large their Marvel community even might be at this point?
Here's a hint:
America cares more.

I'm not saying Japan is ass, "they" will do better against the US than most think, but they care more about AE than Marvel.

Kimosabae

Banned
Toski said:
Here's a hint:
America cares more.

I'm not saying Japan is ass, "they" will do better against the US than most think, but they care more about AE than Marvel.

Maybe.

Enthusiasm isn't quantifiable, though.

Alucrid

Banned
enzo_gt said:

Has Daigo ever showed any emotion?

Pirabear

Banned
Kinda OT, but this reminds me, is EVO going to have a legit BBCS2 tourney? None of that "exhibitions" nonsense, it would be great if more non-Capcom fighters got some exposure.

smurfx

get some go again
Dali said:
Don't worry. Justin Wong, will protect America's MvC honor.

I can't believe I just cheered for Justin Wong.
would love it if daigo took the mvc crown from wong. although i don't know if daigo has good enough competition. wong and others are constantly in tournaments playing against some of the best players. btw is there going to be streams of evo? would love to watch the mvc 3 tournament from beginning to end.

Alucrid

Banned
smurfx said:
would love it if daigo took the mvc crown from wong. although i don't know if daigo has good enough competition. wong and others are constantly in tournaments playing against some of the best players. btw is there going to be streams of evo? would love to watch the mvc 3 tournament from beginning to end.

Uh...yeah.

Luminate said:
Kinda OT, but this reminds me, is EVO going to have a legit BBCS2 tourney? None of that "exhibitions" nonsense, it would be great if more non-Capcom fighters got some exposure.

Continuum Shift is one of the main games this year.

Top Bottom