• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Netflix Original Series of Unfortunate Events gets a showrunner and a director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Former “True Blood” showrunner Mark Hudis and director Barry Sonnenfeld have signed on to steer Netflix’s adaptation of the Lemony Snicket “A Series of Unfortunate Events” fantasy book series.

Hudis will serve as showrunner and exec producer of the series, while Sonnenfeld will direct and exec produce. Lemony Snicket creator Daniel Handler is also an exec producer for Paramount Television, which produced the 2004 feature rendition starring Jim Carrey in 2004.

Netflix billed the series as having multigenerational appeal to kids and parents when it announced the acquisition of the property in November. The “Unfortunate Events” series revolves around a trio of orphans who encounter the villainous Count Olaf and a host of other obstacles as they search for their rightful family fortune and the truth about their parents’ death.

Source.

So True Blood showrunner and the director of Men in Black and The Addams Family. That works for me.

Sonnenfeld is a big get for this. They can't have/want him unless they're spending some respectable dough for the production.

Bebpo

Banned
Sonnenfeld is a solid director. It won't be crazy artsy or anything, but it should be entertaining.

aett

I still find it hard to believe that the teaser trailer from a few months back was fanmade. Looks way too professional.

scabro

I still find it hard to believe that the teaser trailer from a few months back was fanmade. Looks way too professional.

id like to believe it was a feeler sent out by Netflix to gauge interest from the public for the project, but it was probably just a fan made trailer

Well I know some people theorize that it was legit, and Netflix is lying about it. Fits, in a kind of Lemony Snicket way.

Wvrs

My girlfriend told me they were making this a few weeks ago and I had to contain myself. Loved the books to bits when I was a kid, read them all over and over; just bought my baby sister a few of them for her 8th birthday and read the first book to her while I was visiting family for the week.

Hope it's done justice. I remember enjoying the film but then I was only 9 years old when it came out.

Toth

I can't wait. This would work perfectly as a 13 part series, although I really enjoyed the 2004 movie and some of the liberties they took with the material.

And watching that fanmade trailer...yeah, it looks WAY too professional to not be a stealth feeler.

Well I know some people theorize that it was legit, and Netflix is lying about it. Fits, in a kind of Lemony Snicket way.

It has to be real. I've never seen a fan project go that far. I don't even think the series has that big of a following. It's just too professional, the CG, the design, and everything else. And it does sound like something straight out of the series, pretending like a video isn't theirs.

"Fan" trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

PaulloDEC

It has to be real. I've never seen a fan project go that far. I don't even think the series has that big of a following. It's just too professional, the CG, the design, and everything else. And it does sound like something straight out of the series, pretending like a video isn't theirs.

"Fan" trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Has anyone owned up to having made it? As you said, the level of professionalism is way beyond the level of even really good fanworks; stuff like the smooth camera movements, often from difficult angles (the shot looking down on the desk, for example) and the slick lighting stand out to me. I could believe the CG was fan-made given how common the tools are nowadays, but professional camera gear like dollies, steadicam equipment, etc are not so affordable or easy to come by.

The only thing that makes me believe the fan-made story is that if Netflix were shooting for a viral angle, they'd have left their logo at the end off. Having the logo there is a very "we're trying to trick people into thinking it's real" thing to do. Then again, what good is viral marketing if it doesn't tell people where to get the product?

It's a tricky one.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I don't quite understand the appeal of these books. They literally have zero development over the course of how many volumes?

The kids meet someone that's going to possibly help them, turns out to be Olaf, they get away, same thing happens again. And again. And again and again. I read probably 3-4 of them before I realized it was utterly pointless and there would be zero plot outside of the same thing happening over and over.

I don't quite understand the appeal of these books. They literally have zero development over the course of how many volumes?

The kids meet someone that's going to possibly help them, turns out to be Olaf, they get away, same thing happens again. And again. And again and again. I read probably 3-4 of them before I realized it was utterly pointless and there would be zero plot outside of the same thing happening over and over.

I read them for the interesting characters and settings. Plus, the narration is incredible.

Things start to change in the fifth book and by
the 7th book they drop the caretaker and the children are on their own.
. So good job making a gigantic assumption when you read less than a 1/3 of the series.

What I love about the books is the prose and characters. Quite wonderful to see them mature. Sunny especially has an interesting arc.

Sonnenfeld seems like a pretty natural fit to capture the darkly comic tone, but eh for hiring someone who had anything to do with True Blood.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Things start to change in the fifth book and by
the 7th book they drop the caretaker and the children are on their own.
. So good job making a gigantic assumption when you read less than a 1/3 of the series.

What I love about the books is the prose and characters. Quite wonderful to see them mature. Sunny especially has an interesting arc.

Soooo five whole books before anything of note changes in the plot and I'm the dick for stopping after four? How is that a "gigantic assumption". Perhaps if I'd read the first book and just assumed it would continue to repeat and stopped there, but come on, five books?

I totally agree that that the prose is fantastic, settings etc... but when the plot is recycled constantly is it any surprise that someone might lose interest after reading the same story four times?

Anyway, I won't continue to hate on the series and derail the thread because I know how irritating that is. Just throwing in my two cents.

Lod7

Neo Member

This is a very valid point. The books are slow and from memory I never really looked too much at the sense and logic of the plot if you could even say they had any.

But I do remember the joy of reading them. I can never fully understand what it was that made me like them but the movie release way back when captured that magic, at least in my eyes. I am hoping the series does the same and wish more people understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom