• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new polling low for Trump: Just 16 percent ‘like’ his conduct as president

Zolo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ust-16-percent-like-his-conduct-as-president/
Polling Donald Trump is one of the most difficult and confusing exercises in modern politics. In Trump, we have a guy who won the presidency by surprisingly beating the polls in key Rust Belt states, of course. We also have a guy who maintains the loyalty of his base despite major flaws that this base readily acknowledges. As I wrote in June 2016, nearly half of Trump supporters — 46 percent — said one or more of the following: He had made a racist comment, was prejudiced and/or was unqualified to be president. Not half of all voters; half of his supporters.

Pew asked American adults how they felt about Trump's conduct in office: Whether they “liked” it, had “mixed feelings” or “didn't like it.” It won't surprise you to see about 6 in 10 (58 percent) don't like it; that tracks with the number of Americans who disapprove of Trump overall.

The other two pieces of the pie are where things get interesting. According to Pew, another 25 percent of American adults say they have “mixed feelings,” and just 16 percent “like” it. Only about 1 in 6 voters say they like the way Trump has conducted himself as president.

imrs.php

The results hark back to a July Washington Post/ABC News poll, in which 70 percent of Americans described Trump's behavior as “unpresidential” and just 24 percent said it was “fitting and proper” for a president. But in that poll, a majority of Republicans — 54 percent — still said Trump's behavior was “fitting and proper.”

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Why we still in double fucking digits?
Oh...that's right. There will always be racists and bigots.

Mixed feelings = "I like how he scapegoats immigrants, bans trans people, and coddles Nazis, but I wish he would do more to disenfranchise black voters." Right?

III-V

Really not much change regarding the people who vote for him. Still enjoys broad support from his base.

Strike

Lower. They won't even mention W and he wasn't nearly this bad. By the time this is over, I want Trump to leave a stink on that party that haunts them for decades.

rjinaz

Just imagine what polling will look like after 3 MORE YEARS of Donald Trump. I mean he makes pretty much every day exhausting with his constant and almost always self-inflicted controversies.

I hope my family members are finally breaking their resolve. Most of them are too patriotic to admit their president could be a complete dolt. (This is my optimistic spin.)

megalowho

Mixed feelings = "I like how he scapegoats immigrants, bans trans people, and coddles Nazis, but I wish he would do more to disenfranchise black voters." Right?
Eh. There's plenty of folks who know he's lost and an asshole, but they like how mad it makes liberals and how he chastises the media after being told for decades both are the enemy. The hyper polarized political climate we live in plays a big part in it. His outbursts are wish fulfillment.

Jobbs

Banned
Eh. There's plenty of folks who know he's lost and an asshole, but they like how mad it makes liberals and how he chastises the media after being told for decades both are the enemy. The hyper polarized political climate we live in plays a big part in it. His outbursts are wish fulfillment.

This. Some folks don't seem to understand that for a lot of the GOP they are motivated by resentment. They think the country and their values are under assault by smug awful assholic liberals, and if something pisses liberals off that's enough by itself to make them like it.

It's hard for many of us particularly on the left side of things to understand because we care about causes and policy and aren't motivated very much if at all by the prospect of pissing off Republicans.

I can see why some like his conduct.... but.

How the fuck do you have "mixed feelings"?

"One the one hand, I like the fact that he's stomping on the rights of minorities everywhere. on the other hand, I don't like that he stopped using dogwhistles when crushing their civil liberties because it exposes my religious/nationalistic ideological cover as a sham."

Ratros

So in conclusion 16% of the interviewers are die hard fans of Trump, 17% are leaning Trump (suppose people who approve Trump's conducts are also supporting his standing on political issues), ~20% are neutral towards Trump and the rest (~47%) hates Trump to the pieces.

If this trend persists, Trump does a good job in fundraising, DEM does not make a comeback and the turnout rate is the same in 2020 as in 2016 (59.7%)... Houston I think we have a problem.

Never mind. I'm way over my heads.

Lunar15

They probably didn't like his conduct during the election either, but they still voted for him. Republicans fall in line. They are fighting a "desperate" holy war against communism.

Top Bottom