• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale Innocence - Review tread

The reviews sold me on this one. I wasn't sure about it at first. Still haven't gotten around to getting it and downloading it however, because I just don't know if I'm in the mood for a slower, period piece game with what looks like lots of stealth. I worry I won't enjoy it as much as everyone else.

Mista

Banned
So, is the game worth $50? Interested in the game since day one but haven’t bought it yet

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I finished this game a few days ago and I loved it! Excellent character development, great story, simple gameplay, but the possibilities are well used and the soundtrack is really (REALLY) good.
My only complaint would be with these facial animations that are not so good.

Undoubtedly a candidate for the GOTY

Last edited:

One smexy gam3r

Walmart's Employee of the Month
Is it really that hard? Or does it have difficulty options?

The problem is they want you to neutralize a lot of enemies(puzzles so quickly in real time, while crafting/going through menus simultaneously). My friend watched as I experienced cheap deaths. I knew how to take out 5 enemies back to back but I couldn't craft/maneuver through menus quick enough.

edit: Good luck if you run out of certain crafting resources. I beat the game with everything at level 2. Crafting ate into my upgrading way too much towards the end. F that boss fight with the knight too.

Last edited:

One smexy gam3r

No difficulty.

Boy if that boss fight with the knight, the town after that, and priest fight wasn't difficult to you, you must have flash speed powers. I'd like to watch you play through those last chapters personally, and after you beat them effortlessly I'll buy you your favorite liquor(if you are even of drinking age) or wine, because there is a difficulty spike towards the end. That priest fight made me rage. You had to do so much perfectly just to trigger part 2 of the fight.

Boy if that boss fight with the knight, the town after that, and priest fight wasn't difficult to you, you must have flash speed powers. I'd like to watch you play through those last chapters personally, and after you beat them effortlessly I'll buy you your favorite liquor(if you are even of drinking age) or wine, because there is a difficulty spike towards the end. That priest fight made me rage. You had to do so much perfectly just to trigger part 2 of the fight.
'No difficulty options' is what I believe that poster meant.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game is out of stock in most places unless you wanna pay extra

One smexy gam3r

That's too bad. Now I'm kind of worried.
Honestly I am going to tell you this, 75% of the game is awesome and phenomenal. The 3rd act is where the game falls apart. I was borderline nearing the 3rd act when I praised this game and encouraged all to get it. I had so much fun,UNTIL THAT 3RD ACT. I got the game for $19.40(had $30 free Microsoft credit) . It is my goty based on the first 2 acts, the 3rd act has the difficulty spike and anxiety causing scenarios/boss battles. Knowing everything I know now, I would recommend everyone wait until $30 or less. I would have paid $50 out of pocket for everything during the first 2 acts, but oh no. Not anymore. I don't know why but it's like they felt the need to pad out the game near the end, and they do through infuriating boss battles and scenarios.

Kadayi

Banned
Cool, I'm really interested in this one. What games would you compare it to?

It's a cinematic third-person involving light stealth and environmental puzzle solving with ranged combat and occasional boss fights in a medieval setting. I don't know of any game I'd compare it to, but I guess in some regards there are some shades of the more recent tomb raider games to it, but minus the acrobatics and gunplay.

Anyway, my thoughts with spoilers:

I really liked the game a lot. I've been on a bit of a gaming hiatus the last month or so, just didn't have the energy for anything, and this just cured me of that big time this week and eventually I finished it today, With that said I'm already replaying it with a view to 100%ing it, though I have been referring to some guides with regard to finding the more elusive collectables (amazing what you miss) .

Like any of these things the story was a bit OTT, however, I enjoyed the relationship of Amicia & Hugo and just the scope, scale and range of environments in the game was pretty astounding. I wasn't necessarily sold on all of your fellow companions however in large part really because some of them weren't given much opportunity space to shine, and the gathering of orphans did feel a little groanworthy.

I'll freely admit I didn't enjoy the boss fights all that much, especially against Lord Nicolas & Vitalis because the fight arenas were a little on the small side meaning they were very much victory through repeated failure type affairs (especially given it was hard to keep track of what's behind you at times due to the camera) which I'm not all that keen on from a gameplay perspective, however, given they were such a small part of the game versus the rest I can't complain too much. I would hope that the developers are perhaps analysing the play sessions and getting a sense of where people are struggling and that they might do some patching because those battles definitely cross from challenging to frustrating after a while. Similarly, a couple of parts like the wagon scene with Rodrik were frustrating given the deadly accuracy of the bowmen at times, and the challenge of keeping the wagon between you and them, whilst dealing with the oncoming guards.

Non-spoilerish advice for new players: -

1. Thoroughly search locations before moving on (always be on the lookout for ladders to climb especially). Invariably after level 2, there will likely be an upgrade kit somewhere in a level, but they aren't necessarily always with the upgrade station so be conscious. Don't be afraid to go off the beaten track are there are a lot of rewards scattered around if you poke around. Don't let the game necessarily lead you forward constantly.

2. Torches won't burn out but burning sticks will, if you have the former don't be afraid to explore areas fully to undercover hidden items in rat-infested rooms.

3. With upgrades, go for equipment and ammunition carrying capacity over damage and stealth early on.

4. Be conscious that some ammunition uses up valuable upgrade material so don't make more ammunition than you need. For the most part, it's rare you're going to need any ammunition in double figures until you get towards the end of the game, so don't just chunk up on maximum ammunition and find you've used up valuable resources that could be better spent on equipment upgrades instead. You can view what equipment you need for upgrades in one of the game menus (the same ones you use to access the curiosities, gifts and flower details).

Last edited:

One smexy gam3r

It's a cinematic third-person involving light stealth and environmental puzzle solving with ranged combat and occasional boss fights in a medieval setting. I don't know of any game I'd compare it to, but I guess in some regards there are some shades of the more recent tomb raider games to it, but minus the acrobatics and gunplay.

Anyway, my thoughts with spoilers:

I really liked the game a lot. I've been on a bit of a gaming hiatus the last month or so, just didn't have the energy for anything, and this just cured me of that big time this week and eventually I finished it today, With that said I'm already replaying it with a view to 100%ing it, though I have been referring to some guides with regard to finding the more elusive collectables (amazing what you miss) .

Like any of these things the story was a bit OTT, however, I enjoyed the relationship of Amicia & Hugo and just the scope, scale and range of environments in the game was pretty astounding. I wasn't necessarily sold on all of your fellow companions however in large part really because some of them weren't given much opportunity space to shine, and the gathering of orphans did feel a little groanworthy.

I'll freely admit I didn't enjoy the boss fights all that much, especially against Lord Nicolas & Vitalis because the fight arenas were a little on the small side meaning they were very much victory through repeated failure type affairs (especially given it was hard to keep track of what's behind you at times due to the camera) which I'm not all that keen on from a gameplay perspective, however, given they were such a small part of the game versus the rest I can't complain too much. I would hope that the developers are perhaps analysing the play sessions and getting a sense of where people are struggling and that they might do some patching because those battles definitely cross from challenging to frustrating after a while. Similarly, a couple of parts like the wagon scene with Rodrik were frustrating given the deadly accuracy of the bowmen at times, and the challenge of keeping the wagon between you and them, whilst dealing with the oncoming guards.

Non-spoilerish advice for new players: -

1. Thoroughly search locations before moving on (always be on the lookout for ladders to climb especially). Invariably after level 2, there will likely be an upgrade kit somewhere in a level, but they aren't necessarily always with the upgrade station so be conscious. Don't be afraid to go off the beaten track are there are a lot of rewards scattered around if you poke around. Don't let the game necessarily lead you forward constantly.

2. Torches won't burn out but burning sticks will, if you have the former don't be afraid to explore areas fully to undercover hidden items in rat-infested rooms.

3. With upgrades, go for equipment and ammunition carrying capacity over damage and stealth early on.

4. Be conscious that some ammunition uses up valuable upgrade material so don't make more ammunition than you need. For the most part, it's rare you're going to need any ammunition in double figures until you get towards the end of the game, so don't just chunk up on maximum ammunition and find you've used up valuable resources that could be better spent on equipment upgrades instead. You can view what equipment you need for upgrades in one of the game menus (the same ones you use to access the curiosities, gifts and flower details).

I forgot or blocked out that sequence with Rodrick and the wagon, it took me like 7 tries literally. Kill archers, kill men who charge at you, and protect Rodrick. Maybe I should rephrase my difficulty spike comment. Instead, replace it with the devs asks too much of the player near the end. It's in real time, with no way to pause, all while navigating menu wheels and reacting to challenge

Last edited:
Honestly I am going to tell you this, 75% of the game is awesome and phenomenal. The 3rd act is where the game falls apart. I was borderline nearing the 3rd act when I praised this game and encouraged all to get it. I had so much fun,UNTIL THAT 3RD ACT. I got the game for $19.40(had $30 free Microsoft credit) . It is my goty based on the first 2 acts, the 3rd act has the difficulty spike and anxiety causing scenarios/boss battles. Knowing everything I know now, I would recommend everyone wait until $30 or less. I would have paid $50 out of pocket for everything during the first 2 acts, but oh no. Not anymore. I don't know why but it's like they felt the need to pad out the game near the end, and they do through infuriating boss battles and scenarios.

You've got me worried. Maybe I shant bother.

One smexy gam3r

You've got me worried. Maybe I shant bother.

It's still an awesome game, but be prepared for frustration as you near the end. This is coming from someone who laughed at every death in act 1-2, because I messed up and never felt cheated by the game. Only that last part made me rage, my friend laughed so much he had tears in his eyes. Especially that priest fight(last boss battle), I had to stop playing for 10 minutes. Come back, and was able to beat the game calmly. Just remember, it's the game and not you. Then you won't rage and probably get through it quicker than I did. It was so much trial and error for me, I felt like I was playing earlier splinter cell games at the end.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
One smexy gam3r One smexy gam3r

Maybe spoiler tag your response to me. But yeah that was a frustrating section. I agree the difficulty ramps up in the third act, but in truth, that's often the case with games I find.

Anyway, I'm replaying it at present for the achievements and I'm actually finding now I have a better handle on the gameplay and systems that it's a much smoother ride in terms of tackling the levels and challenges. Just beat chapter 9: In the shadow of the ramparts and my tactical approach was much smoother than my original playthrough just in terms of thinking about how to tackle opponents, plus I made way smarter choices about equipment upgrades that have made life a lot easier.

Helios

Also, if you're paying 60 for RAGE 2 (which is nothing more that a boring first person Just Cause) instead of supporting A Plague Tale which is more unique and doesn't have BS modern day AAA monetisation practices and fuckin' content road maps, something is seriously wrong with you.
You're comparing apples to oranges. RAGE2 has some of the best FPS gameplay in recent years. Meanwhile, A Plague Tale looks like a more cinematic experience while being very light on gameplay. There's nothing wrong with preferring one over the other. Also
fuckin' content road maps
Oh no, the devs are releasing additional content post-launch. The humanity !

One smexy gam3r

You're comparing apples to oranges. RAGE2 has some of the best FPS gameplay in recent years. Meanwhile, A Plague Tale looks like a more cinematic experience while being very light on gameplay. There's nothing wrong with preferring one over the other. Also

Honestly it has good gameplay& great variety in solution of puzzles. Not light gameplay whatsoever.

Kadayi

Banned
Honestly it has good gameplay& great variety in solution of puzzles. Not light gameplay whatsoever.

Agreed. It's only really when you're first introduced to systems in the early part of the game that you're routed in particular ways for the most part. Later on, as you have more options at your disposal that you can definitely try out different things

Last edited:

One smexy gam3r

Agreed. It's only really when you're first introduced to systems in the early part of the game that you're routed in particular ways for the most part. Later on, as you have more options at your disposal that you can definitely try out different things

Yes, that is what I loved most about the game. The openness to puzzle solving. Nothing ever got stale, they always introduced new ways to handle things. I will admit once I upgrade my sling shot, I channeled my inner Laura Croft and started murking fools. It was so satisfying watching them get a rock to the forehead:goog_devil:

Kadayi

Banned
Yes, that is what I loved most about the game. The openness to puzzle solving. Nothing ever got stale, they always introduced new ways to handle things. I will admit once I upgrade my sling shot, I channeled my inner Laura Croft and started murking fools. It was so satisfying watching them get a rock to the forehead:goog_devil:

My first playthrough I used way too much of the sleep dust stuff, which was just too expensive in terms of resource cost to use all that often because I was caught on the hop a lot. On the second playthrough, I'm more circumspect in terms of approach and planning things out a bit more. Also sometimes it's just ok to sneak past I find. Because unless there's stuff to be looted it's not worth the overhead to engage.

One smexy gam3r

My first playthrough I used way too much of the sleep dust stuff, which was just too expensive in terms of resource cost to use all that often because I was caught on the hop a lot. On the second playthrough, I'm more circumspect in terms of approach and planning things out a bit more. Also sometimes it's just ok to sneak past I find. Because unless there's stuff to be looted it's not worth the overhead to engage.

Honestly on my first playthrough I sneaked and killed a lot.
I did use sleep sometimes, but if anything I used the stuff to make knights remove helmets. Before arriving at that castle for the first time, I was in the forest just burning helmets and hitting fools in the heads with rocks. It was glorious!

Kadayi

Banned
Honestly on my first playthrough I sneaked and killed a lot.
I did use sleep sometimes, but if anything I used the stuff to make knights remove helmets. Before arriving at that castle for the first time, I was in the forest just burning helmets and hitting fools in the heads with rocks. It was glorious!

That's what I did on the first playthrough, but on the second. I skipped most of the hard targets in that section because they weren't guarding any loot. Instead, I took out the guys guarding chests and grabbed all the goodies. I've become a lot more aware of using the menu to keep tabs on my upgrade requirements and what stock I need. With that said, after I got my sling back in the Army camp I did murder all the English soldiers in the bottom part of the camp. Though mainly because there's a lot of resources scattered around and I wanted free reign

Last edited:

One smexy gam3r

That's what I did on the first playthrough, but on the second. I skipped most of the hard targets in that section because they weren't guarding any loot. Instead, I took out the guys guarding chests and grabbed all the goodies. I've become a lot more aware of using the menu to keep tabs on my upgrade requirements and what stock I need. With that said, after I got my sling back in the Army camp I did murder all the English soldiers in the bottom part of the camp. Though mainly because there's a lot of resources scattered around and I wanted free reign
Funny thing is when I was getting hugo at the camp, I was ghosting until I accidentally triggered a cutscene by creeping to the main gate lol. I did upgrade to where I never needed a workbench earlier on. Really good game. I might play some more tonight. Need to 100% it.

Kadayi

Banned
Funny thing is when I was getting hugo at the camp, I was ghosting until I accidentally triggered a cutscene by creeping to the main gate lol. I did upgrade to where I never needed a workbench earlier on. Really good game. I might play some more tonight. Need to 100% it.

Same. I stayed away from the gate until I'd cleared everything this time. I pondered getting that upgrade, but I've prioritized item & ammo capacity firstly with weapon and pouch and Stealth. I might get it next though.

Pimpbaa

After finishing the first Act I must say that this game for sure has potential to be the second best game for me this year after RE2 Remake, it made a surprisingly positive first impression on me. Also, if you're paying 60 for RAGE 2 (which is nothing more that a boring first person Just Cause) instead of supporting A Plague Tale which is more unique and doesn't have BS modern day AAA monetisation practices and fuckin' content road maps, something is seriously wrong with you.

Some people might not like linear games, some people might not like the setting, some people might not like that it's only 12 hours. There are a lot of reasons one might not want to buy this game. Doesn't help that most haven't even heard of this game. Hell the only video i saw of this was technical look at the game from digital foundry and I thought it was another walking sim (I know now that it has more gameplay than those type of games). Oh and I'm not saying that one should buy rage 2 over this. It's just that I can see why someone would rather rage 2.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
RAGE2 has some of the best FPS gameplay in recent years.
As if this makes this game any batter when everything else is utter shit.

As far as I'm concerned - they can showe it up their ass.

I mean, when everything else but shooting is utter shit in your game, sure thing you'll release additional content and make everyone pay for it (I'm not talking about free stuff which won't change a thing) just cuz (yeah) you were lazy AF or know absolutely nothing about how to make real good OW games (both is the answer). Instead, Avalanche have made what they always do - a completely empty open world full of boring-AF-Just-Cause-shit-icons-checkboxes which nobody even bothers to engage with after they've tried a few times to see what they can offer. Job well done, I guess. I'm not telling people what to do, but RAGE 2 is utter shit and it doesn't matter if only FPS stuff is good.

it's only 12 hours
It's actually closer to 18-20 if you'll be exploring everything - search for secrets, collectables, crafting materials and just take your time.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Just a heads up for UK GAF, it's on sale for the weekend £26.99.

I think I'm going to pick this up. Too many good sales on at the moment lol.

Before I buy, are there any stealth sections where being caught means instant game over? Because that would be a deal breaker for me. I hate that shit.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Before I buy, are there any stealth sections where being caught means instant game over? Because that would be a deal breaker for me. I hate that shit.

Yes there is, but nothing too difficult, it's not worth it to deprive yourself of the game for that.

Kadayi

Banned
Ok, thank you, my friend. Bought and currently installing.

Good on you. The game autosaves decently through most sections. There was only one part that I found somewhat frustrating in terms of fail state and that was towards the end, but I did play it at launch so it might have been patched since. Curious to hear your assessment of it.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i got this through Origin Access recently and I really like it. the writing is well done and the story is good. in fact it's been very moving so far, this is better done than many movies & shows I've seen. visually it's fantastic.

the stealth sections are pretty cool. lot of stealth in this game but it's not that difficult. i just beat the first "boss" and it was a really cool fight, he this multi piece armor on, and you just have a sling with rocks at that point, so you have to knock off each piece until the killing blow.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I got the demo just to hedge my bets played 5 minutes and thought yep this game is straight up my ally. Downloading full game as we speak.

Eiknarf

What the hell!?! This is what I’ve kinda been asking about in other threads: good games that the average person isn’t playing!

I guess I should have been asking, “What are some of the Best Independent Games?” (like Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice)

So I just ordered it for $29.00

After reading all your comments - I hope I’m not frustrated by the final third act.

How are the game mechanics? Is the stealth or melee attacks or “shooting” similar to any other game? Is there weapon or personal upgrading? I guess I’ll find out next week

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
What the hell!?! This is what I’ve kinda been asking about in other threads: good games that the average person isn’t playing!

I guess I should have been asking, “What are some of the Best Independent Games?” (like Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice)

So I just ordered it for $29.00

After reading all your comments - I hope I’m not frustrated by the final third act.

How are the game mechanics? Is the stealth or melee attacks or “shooting” similar to any other game? Is there weapon or personal upgrading? I guess I’ll find out next week

"Shooting" is pretty different from any other game.
There is no melee.
The main loop is stealth + shooting (which relies on a fast change of bullet types for combo effects).
You get new bullet types with game progress and can craft upgrades to weapon/equip.

Eiknarf

"Shooting" is pretty different from any other game.
There is no melee.
The main loop is stealth + shooting (which relies on a fast change of bullet types for combo effects).
You get new bullet types with game progress and can craft upgrades to weapon/equip.
Cool
Thanks

- looking on Amazon, why is the PS4 version $29.00 while the Xbox One version is $49.00?

Eiknarf

The game is charming as fuck.
But can someone tell me why it’s called “A Plague Tale: Innocence” and not just “A Plague Tale” ?

the “Innocence” makes it look and sound like this is the sequel

Kadayi

Banned
The game is charming as fuck.
But can someone tell me why it’s called “A Plague Tale: Innocence” and not just “A Plague Tale” ?

the “Innocence” makes it look and sound like this is the sequel

I think the idea is to maybe do more games, so it might be A plague tale: Redemption or some such. still, French devs so who knows...

Top Bottom