• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A quick history and timeline of Derek Smart vs. Chris Roberts (Star Citizen)

Thank you for this writeup. I feel utterly lost in discussions regarding Star Citizen and Smart, engaged by people far more knowledgeable than I.

Been waiting for something like this.

So uh, Derek Smart is kind of a scumbag huh

Spladam

Yeah, I considered adding both nynt9, as I posted that first link twice in the other thread, but I did not want to come off too anti-Derek (as much as one can) and that group is kind of a repository for that, though very interesting and I do recommend it to anyone who wants to know the flame war history in detail. I've read that Bill Huffman is somewhat.... on the fringe himself, as I've been told he is to Derek Smart what Derek Smart is to Chris Roberts, kind of a Smart stalker. I don't know the validity of this, but I do know that Mr. Huffman has put great effort and research into, well, exposing Derek, and the two have a long history, they apparently know each other. Mr Huffman is, to my knowledge, the person who originally discovered that Smart's notorious PhD is a non-accredited PhD.

As for the second link, I considered it too, it was interesting to read in the other thread, but I did not want to do to the man what Escapist did to Roberts, I don't know the validity of what he says, as the poster is a disgruntled ex-employee, and I tried to stick with the facts (although I cannot validate the Coke Machine story, it makes for great urban legend.) You guys have both of those links now, but know that these are people with little sympathy for Derek. I look at him as a tragic figure, and I know you guys will think I'm crazy, but I kind of feel sorry for him. I think he just wanted to make a really good space game, and got his ego bruised past the point of good judgement, just my take on it.

-Edit: Ok, I added the first link to the google group in the "Derek Smart interim period" part.

There's like an almost 20 year gap in my knowledge of what that Battlecruiser guy was up to. Had no idea he was still trying this whole time. That's very funny to me. Uwe Boll would be proud.

Oh shit. That's the best idea ever.
Start a Kickstarter to get Uwe Bowl to cast and direct the cutscenes for, "Battlecruiser: It's really real this time."
That's pretty good, not a bad idea at all

^ should be 9/16/14

Sorry, OCD.
Good looking out, I'll fix that in a moment, thanks.

Damn good summary. Game journalists should take notes. Or at least the Escapist should have someone monitor GAF so they know how to do proper writing and research
Ohhhhh BURN!

Summary's nice, if a bit vague.
I'm actually old enough to know that Derek Smart is certifiable.
He'd be a joke character, if only his desperate shtick wasn't going on for decades now.

Arguably, his games are worse than that Wing Commander movie.
How's that for a bit of semi-relevant perspective?
Hahaha, funny. I kept it somewhat vague on purpose, as going into to much detail could lead to an anti-Derek looking bias. If you have any suggestions as to what I should add, I'm open to ideas.

What? Wow. I'm skeptical, but nice find though.

Coke machines are the gaming developer's magazine rack.

Hahahahaha, I laughed.

I believe in Derek Smart

Believe.
0c7b4f81eccbf1165a6406c1eea3bfe5_zpsab068702.jpg

Jeremy

Seems like he truly blacklisted himself from the industry. Crazy when people aren't able to see how bad he's projecting on Star Citizen.

Derek Smart is a joke. Shame on the Escapist for publishing that bs.

That said, I understand the concern people have over the development of SC.

Of course, Derek Smarts personal history shouldn't come into play when the topic is "whether he is right or not", and one thing people are really trying hard not to acknowledge is that he has accurate inside sources.

• Accurately named the departure of James Pugh, Paul Forgy, and the handing in of a two-weeks notice by Lisa Ohanian, something that would not be listed outside the company.
  • Leaked a leaving rant by James Dennison that was sent to people internally complaining about working conditions and mismanagement.
  • Accurately named that CIG Austin was becoming Live Ops only and highlighted eight further staff departures, something CIG denied by saying "we're still hiring", and then confirmed yesterday
  • Accurately named that Star Marine had been secretly cancelled, again CIG denied this before confirming it at CitizenCon, it is now folded into the Persistence Universe demo.
  • Accurately listed the CitizenCon schedule days ahead of the conference:
1) They are going to show the opening cut-scene sequence for SQ42 with Gary Oldman giving his speech, someone flying and landing, NPCs waving etc.

2) They are going to show Star Marine. Again. It's still a mess - and nowhere ready for production release. Reports tell me that if it gets released before year end, it would be a miracle.

3) They are going to show multi-crew. Again. Problem now is that, as of the last report I got, it doesn't run smoothly at all. And so they are now running the demo on super computers with 16 cores, loads of memory etc. Again, not production release ready.

4) And a new ship priced at $175. Heavier than a Super Hornet

There is nothing new being released to backers, other than another AC patch apparently.

If anything CIG seem to consistently lie to try and discredit him a lot, they definitely seem to be taking it personally, giving the response to the Escapist article which blames it on him despite him not being involved.

Tubie

Thanks OP!

I've been lurking that escapist thread and seeing Derek Smart mentioned a lot, but not really knowing who he was, so it was hard to follow.

Spladam

Of course, Derek Smarts personal history shouldn't come into play when the topic is "whether he is right or not", and one thing people are really trying hard not to acknowledge is that he has accurate inside sources.

• Accurately named the departure of James Pugh, Paul Forgy, and the handing in of a two-weeks notice by Lisa Ohanian, something that would not be listed outside the company.
  • Leaked a leaving rant by James Dennison that was sent to people internally complaining about working conditions and mismanagement.
  • Accurately named that CIG Austin was becoming Live Ops only and highlighted eight further staff departures, something CIG denied by saying "we're still hiring", and then confirmed yesterday
  • Accurately named that Star Marine had been secretly cancelled, again CIG denied this before confirming it at CitizenCon, it is now folded into the Persistence Universe demo.

If anything CIG seem to consistently lie to try and discredit him a lot, they definitely seem to be taking it personally, giving the response to the Escapist article which blames it on him despite him not being involved.
He does seem to get his hands on much inside information, and I think he truly is VERY CLOSELY pursuing all that is happening with CIG, and is quick to contact former employees.
Your link is interesting, but it does appear that Austin is still much more then just "Live Ops". I do have concerns that Mr. Smart is right about some things, but you and I both know that WE DON'T KNOW.

Specifically, we and most everyone else have very little information on just how involved with the Escapist second article he was, you cannot claim to know (unless you're Derek). We do know however, that he had MUCH to do with the first Escapist article, the "Eject Eject" article, that much IS evident.

Thanks OP!

I've been lurking that escapist thread and seeing Derek Smart mentioned a lot, but not really knowing who he was, so it was hard to follow.
You and everyone else are very much welcome. as I realized those threads were tough to follow and weed through for information, a lot was going on in them, including some derailments (I was partially guilty of this myself), and I felt a good clarification just for GAF, especially about the early years, was kind of needed. Knowing about this stuff makes old GAF feel old and seems to just confuse young GAF, so now we're all in the know. (But this still makes us old GAF feel ancient., and maybe a bit nostalgic. hahaha)

Xiaoki

MMORPG.COM unfortunately has a pro-Smart camp that are riled up. My generalizations say that it is a bunch of young people who have never worked for a big company, and thus they don't understand that things changes, delays and roadmaps. As a result some of them buy into that SC is some sort of mass con conspiracy and that heckling on the Derek Smart train is the best path for justice.

mmorpg.com has for a long time had a community of jaded gamers who have a bad tone. It's too bad because some of the staff like the founder are genuinely decent people. But both the editorial side and the layout of the webpage is hopelessly outdated. The site always attracted a lot of people for the URL.
So it's annoying to see the vitriol.
Uh, you do realize that people were skeptical of Star Citizen well before Derek Smart and The Escapist article right?

The generalizations about people that post on MMORPG.com are indeed hilarious. Mostly because many would make the exact same generalizations about NeoGAF.

It's also funny that you find the vitriol towards Star Citizen annoying but the vitriol towards Derek Smart continues unabated.
I had no idea who Derek Smart was before this all started so I don't understand how you can hate him so much.
OK, you don't like him or the things he has said about a video game but he is still a person and doesn't deserve the kind of abuse he gets.
I read some of the stuff said to him during the YouTube live stream and that was a mistake. Just truly horrible and unapologetically racist.

He's a massive egotist, if he had anything to do with the Escapist article then he'd be trumpeting from the rooftops, especially now it's clear that CIGs legal action was just a bluff.

Anyway, other articles like this TenTonHammer one say they've long received similar reports, so it's pretty clear the employees are the common link, not DSmart.

Meanwhile, The Escapist article mirrors the many emails I’ve been receiving for years about work conditions at CIG, which I believe is also where much of Derek Smart’s rhetoric has been coming from – since I’m sure the same people have spoken to him as well.

I mean, by CIGs public statements, they've lost 1/6 of their staff since July, everything points to there being significant internal issues and while I can see that people get defensive because they have a lot of money "invested" I think it's in the public interest when it is all crowdsourced money.

No Love

Banned
I don't want to perpetuate any stigmas here, but there is something wrong with Smart right?

Not really. Derek can come off as overzealous but I'm wondering if he's really onto something.

DISCLAIMER: I consider Derek Smart to be a good guy outside of his "industry persona." He is intelligent and logical, even if he does have an ego. He's also really funny and even somewhat self-deprecating. He knows he fucked up in the past.

Spladam

He's a massive egotist, if he had anything to do with the Escapist article then he'd be trumpeting from the rooftops, especially now it's clear that CIGs legal action was just a bluff.

Anyway, other articles like this TenTonHammer one say they've long received similar reports, so it's pretty clear the employees are the common link, not DSmart.

I mean, by CIGs public statements, they've lost 1/6 of their staff since July, everything points to there being significant internal issues and while I can see that people get defensive because they have a lot of money "invested" I think it's in the public interest when it is all crowdsourced money.
Yeah, it does have me worried Johnny, if anything, my bias is that I hope it's not as bad as it seems it might be. I'm really rooting for Star Citizen to make it to publish, if there is leadership issues, I truly hope they can be resolved, and I think Erin Roberts might be our savior.

I don't want to perpetuate any stigmas here, but there is something wrong with Smart right?

I've seen a lot of people theorise he has narcissistic personality disorder but nobody knows for certain other than that he displays some very explicit symptoms/antics(?) related to it. It's also very irrational behaviour, seems like a grudge and salty attitude to seeing a project do something he's always tried to do and personally fail at. I don't think we'll really ever know either way. He's been around for a long time and exhibited the same behaviour it's not really something out of the ordinary for him. He's infamous for his behaviour.

dumbo

My concern with a lot of this stuff is the 'shoot the messenger' aspect.

Someone says something negative about Star Citizen and suddenly a whole host of people pop up to attack the messenger. That's unhealthy, and leads to a lack of oversight.

CIG *should* be getting pressure for failing to deliver, and they're not.

If Derek Smart had suggested bad things about any other project, this would have blown over in a day... something is very, very wrong in how the fanbase of that title are reacting.

Tommyhawk

About that "insider info".

He is using httrack, a tool that can completely save websites and reproduce them.
Even stuff that hasn't been published yet but is in the system (common practice for news sites for example, especially if there's an embargo which you have to heed but your article is already written).
This tool also showed him any changes that were made regarding the status of the employees (employed/no longer employed) because that's also an information which is saved in the database of the website.
And due to this tool he could also predict the ship sales because changes to the database were obviously made beforehand.

So yeah that's his "insider info".

Good read and the whole thing entertaining from the outside.

Doesn't matter if DS is right or wrong, Star Citizen needs to be a game and it isn't as it stands.

Release a game that works and is good and this is all forgotten. No excuses.

Lothars

My concern with a lot of this stuff is the 'shoot the messenger' aspect.

Someone says something negative about Star Citizen and suddenly a whole host of people pop up to attack the messenger. That's unhealthy, and leads to a lack of oversight .

CIG *should* be getting pressure for failing to deliver, and they're not.

If Derek Smart had suggested bad things about any other project, this would have blown over in a day... something is very, very wrong in how the fanbase of that title are reacting.
You are delirious if you really believe that, Derek smart has a history of this and he's out to lunch more often than not.

If he would attack any other game like he has with faulty information and constant attack,I'm sure that fan base would call him out on it.

Truant

It is obvious that Smart is extremely envious of Roberts and the games he's made. Tragic. I'd love a "Print The Legend" style documentary about this from Netflix or HBO.

Jackpot

Banned
Should also note that Derek Smart has a fake PhD. Back in the 90s, one of his chief detractors worked out the issuer was a degree mill and Smart's thesis didn't exist. He compiled all the evidence and promised to take his whole site down if Smart could just give him the title of his thesis. Guess what happened?

A few of the memes Desktop Commander spawned were Smart's insistence that it used neural net AI, and that the patch to fix the broken version of his game T2 forced him to release was all ready except for the loading screen and manual but didn't appear for months.

Bedlam

I had no idea who Derek Smart was before this all started so I don't understand how you can hate him so much.
OK, you don't like him or the things he has said about a video game but he is still a person and doesn't deserve the kind of abuse he gets.

Then go read up on him. The guy is the biggest troll of the gaming industry - since its inception, no less. He has accomplished absolutely nothing and yet is delusional enough to talk down to other developers, tries to paint himself as a professional with faked degrees etc.

Especially his envy of C.Roberts seems to haven taken its toll on his mind. The guy is destructive and he projects all his failings, all the things that are wrong with his own projects on other projects. This happened before and it's happening again. Given the state of his own sorry excuse of a "game" with which he currently rips off customers on Steam, he should keep his bitter mouth shut.

In the end, for Derek all this isn't about making games. It's not even about caring for lost "gamer money" as he so often proclaims. That egomaniac just wants attention and he wants all projects, that are similar to his own failed endeavors, to fail. That's the end of it.

dumbo

You are delirious if you really believe that, Derek smart has a history of this and he's out to lunch more often than not.

Attacking the messenger is obviously a repeat theme? ;)

If he would attack any other game like he has with faulty information and constant attack,I'm sure that fan base would call him out on it.

Bluntly, Derek Smart is an irrelevant developer on the internet who has a reputation for talking nonsense/overpromising/underdelivering. Nobody is going to take his comments seriously unless he backs them up.

But this is the 2nd recent thread on neogaf (that I can remember) specifically created to attack people who attacked star citizen...

In short, feel free to ignore Derek Smart, like the other 99.99% of the population... but 'shooting messengers' is unhealthy as it deters proper media criticism, something that has been conspicuously absent with this project.

Donos

That smart guy seems really one of the most bitter and delusional member of the gaming industry. If he would have at least one heavy hitter under his belt would put some weight under his ramblings

Ricitor

So I have done little research on all this and only really followed the Escapist clusterfuck so thanks for the timeline.
There is one thing I am actually shocked by though, the fact that Derek Smart had ZERO involvement in the development of SC. I assumed since I saw his name out there a bit in connection to the game and along with a few rants, that he was a former employee or somebody connected to the project on some deeper level than a backer. The way the man raves I thought there had to be something there, but no, he just gave a $250 pledge.

Spladam

But this is the 2nd recent thread on neogaf (that I can remember) specifically created to attack people who attacked star citizen...

Wait, what? Come on man, do you really think this is why I created this thread? Read through it, you will see that I don't hate Mr. Smart, he's taken his licks and more. I really do think he just wants to make a really good space game, but creates his own drama and makes his own hate. I have no problem with people casting doubts on what is going on at CIG, and I really do hope this fiasco motivates some mitigation to the damages that may or may not have happened to Star Citizen due to it's leadership. Like I said before, I think Erin Roberts might be our savior.

Bedlam

Young people on GAF: read up on Derek (thoroughly) before you fall for his bullshit.

Bluntly, Derek Smart is an irrelevant developer on the internet who has a reputation for talking nonsense/overpromising/underdelivering. Nobody is going to take his comments seriously unless he backs them up.

In short, feel free to ignore Derek Smart, like the other 99.99% of the population... but 'shooting messengers' is unhealthy as it deters proper media criticism, something that has been conspicuously absent with this project.
Problem is, the guy is actively trying to sabotage the SC project.

Software development, especially game development, rarely goes smoothly (Derek should know this, since all his projects failed spectacularly; also he conned investors out of money, he harrassed his own employees and didn't pay them etc). Now this guy is devoting every second of his life to shine a spotlight on problems happening with SC, creating a hostile environment that will inevitably spark more problems for the developers of SC.

Derek's goal is to turn his relentless crusade against SC into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So I have done little research on all this and only really followed the Escapist clusterfuck so thanks for the timeline.
There is one thing I am actually shocked by though, the fact that Derek Smart had ZERO involvement in the development of SC. I assumed since I saw his name out there a bit in connection to the game and along with a few rants, that he was a former employee or somebody connected to the project on some deeper level than a backer. The way the man raves I thought there had to be something there, but no, he just gave a $250 pledge.
Yup. The guy is fucking delusional. Out of the blue he demanded both control over the SC project and Roberts to be fired.

KDR_11k

About that "insider info".

He is using httrack, a tool that can completely save websites and reproduce them.
Even stuff that hasn't been published yet but is in the system (common practice for news sites for example, especially if there's an embargo which you have to heed but your article is already written).
This tool also showed him any changes that were made regarding the status of the employees (employed/no longer employed) because that's also an information which is saved in the database of the website.
And due to this tool he could also predict the ship sales because changes to the database were obviously made beforehand.

So yeah that's his "insider info".

The database should not be accessible from outside the company network. Now, security lapses do happen but I doubt DS is hacking into their computers. Well, if he is then he'll go to prison for that...

sohois

What I can't help but wonder is how Derek Smart is even funding himself? He's been able to keep developing all these games for years and years with not one being a success. Maybe his first game received publisher funding but surely since then it's all been a self funded effort. Where does he get the money to even live?

Young people on GAF: read up on Derek (thoroughly) before you fall for his bullshit.

Problem is, the guy is actively trying to sabotage the SC project.

Software development, especially game development, rarely goes smoothly (Derek should know this, since all his projects failed spectacularly; also he conned investors out of money, he harrassed his own employees and didn't pay them etc). Now this guy is devoting every second of his life to shine a spotlight on problems happening with SC, creating a hostile environment that will mostly spark more problems for the developers of SC.

Derek's goal is to turn his relentless crusade against SC into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yup. The guy is fucking delusional. Out of the blue he demanded control over the SC project and Roberts to be fired.

I fail to see how his crusade sparks more problems for SC. The allegations are either true or false, if false why would it impact internal development?

The game has got feature creep, having some public pressure on getting at least the core game on a release plan is no bad thing.

Bedlam

I fail to see how his crusade sparks more problems for SC. The allegations are either true or false, if false why would it impact internal development?

The game has got feature creep, having some public pressure on getting at least the core game on a release plan is no bad thing.
Immense unnecessary stress (poison in creative environments), very possibly leading to increased animosity within the working environment; outside influences make it harder to solve certain internal problems, etc.

Yes, SC most likely has problems and backers should voice their discontent and the developers should listen to it.

However, this is not what Derek is doing. This guy has devoted his life (no exaggeration) to crushing this project.

dumbo

Wait, what? Come on man, do you really think this is why I created this thread? Read through it, you will see that I don't hate Mr. Smart, he's taken his licks and more. I really do think he just wants to make a really good space game, but creates his own drama and makes his own hate. I have no problem with people casting doubts on what is going on at CIG, and I really do hope this fiasco motivates some mitigation to the damages that may or may not have happened to Star Citizen due to it's leadership. Like I said before, I think Erin Roberts might be our savior.

This thread exists purely because DS spoke out against CIG. If someone else speaks up against them, would we have a thread on their backstory?

Can you see why this would create a 'chilling effect' that teaches people not to investigate, or risk threads on public forums raking over their personal history?

I'm just saying as I see it - personally I don't feel comfortable with this, if other people are then that's fine.

Jackpot

Banned

if that were the case no smear campaign would ever have negative effects and no company would ever be damaged by a lawsuit it was innocent of.

Spladam

What I can't help but wonder is how Derek Smart is even funding himself? He's been able to keep developing all these games for years and years with not one being a success. Maybe his first game received publisher funding but surely since then it's all been a self funded effort. Where does he get the money to even live?

Derek Smart is president of Quest Online LLC (after being hired as a consultant, he apparently outed the original project lead of their MMO "Alganon", I left that whole part out.

http://www.brokentoys.org/?p=4325
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/83221

Uh, you do realize that people were skeptical of Star Citizen well before Derek Smart and The Escapist article right?

The generalizations about people that post on MMORPG.com are indeed hilarious. Mostly because many would make the exact same generalizations about NeoGAF.

It's also funny that you find the vitriol towards Star Citizen annoying but the vitriol towards Derek Smart continues unabated.
I read some of the stuff said to him during the YouTube live stream and that was a mistake. Just truly horrible and unapologetically racist.

Let me just clarify a few things:

1) Yes

2) I post on MMORPG.com. I've been a member since 2003. People always make generalizations. Both on GAF or on that site. I'm not shitting on the site or saying everyone is like that. I've not followed the game, and I see the forum go up in flames constantly over this Derek Smart vs SC thing.

3) I find any sort of vitirol annoying if I think it is wasted energy, that can be summed up in projecting. "I hate myself but can't deal with it, so I become a bigot towards others who are different than me".

4) I don't hate him. I've not followed SC closely either or donated. I'm watching a few videos here and there, but I saw this tight crew popping up in "recently posted" on mmorpg.com of people who shit on SC 24/7. This is not uncommon for trolls to do this, but even as an outsider, it's clear that the hate is stronger than the usual trolling of MMO fans going into another MMO forum and saying their game is dying and is shit.

5) Are people abusing him? I'm not following the game. I don't know. I hate mob justice- and you will see that I am one of the most-anti mob justice jump on the hate wagon.
This upsets me because I feel for a man who spend 20 years of his life being fixated an angry over what another person does. That is not an upset over anger, but because it must be terrible to be Derek Smart. Truly. This is how you waste your life and die of stress. :(

Spladam

This thread exists purely because DS spoke out against CIG. If someone else speaks up against them, would we have a thread on their backstory?

Can you see why this would create a 'chilling effect' that teaches people not to investigate, or risk threads on public forums raking over their personal history?

I'm just saying as I see it - personally I don't feel comfortable with this, if other people are then that's fine.

This thread exist because of the Escapist article, so people could have some history on the subject, you did see the folks thanking me as they were having a hard time following the entire drama right? That's why I made this thread, so they would have context for the Escapist drama. Not everyone knows this story, and it's a rather good one. Do you think Derek is responsible for both of the Escapist articles?

I just added this to the OP, you should check it out, an article by Russ Pitts over at Polygon in 2012 entitled "The Redemption of Derek Smart"

This is a line of thinking I see come up a lot. "If we act really angry and are full of expectations the devs won't be lazy and deliver because they fear the wrath of our negative backlash".

It doesn't work like that. Mate, every great game that comes - the games that are truly great, even from the big studios have people working their ass off out of passion. In the video game industry if you get a AAA - critically well received and good selling game, that is a mark on your entire career. All great developers slave away with overtime and coming in on weekends.

It just doesn't work this way that somehow negativity from the community ads something meaningful as pressure. That's just crazy.

Bedlam

Derek Smart is president of Quest Online LLC (after being hired as a consultant, he apparently outed the original project lead of their MMO "Alganon", I left that whole part out.

http://www.brokentoys.org/?p=4325
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/83221
Just let that sink in for a minute: he was hired as a consultant and it ended with him doing a hostile takeover of the project through a smear campaign.

It's basically what he first attempted to do with SC as well. It's his modus operandi.

Now that he failed to do that, he is just trying to burn the whole thing down.

Pretty much. Guy's certifiable. And considering everything I find it most amusing that his surname is 'smart'.
Going by Derek's track record, it's probably fake as well.

The guy also falsely claimed to be a member of MENSA, btw.

Durante

I would absolutely see your point with normal people. But Derek Smart truly is a person of public interest in this regard, as he has literally spent most of the past 25 years being publicly insane on the internet.

Bedlam

Mr Smart is not stupid, by any means.
I didn't mean to say that, of course. Maybe if it hadn't been for his mental disorders, I actually think he could've had a successful career.

But judging by the lengths he went to in order to portray himself as some sort of genius with all kinds of faked information, I wouldn't be surprised if his last name is just another one of those.

Top Bottom