• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A silver lining to the pandemic. I haven't been sick in over a year.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
God you're a moron.

But yes, people being actively aware of their hygiene has caused a lower incidence of the spreading of other viruses.
Yes at the cost of half your face being covered all the time. Not sure that’s worth it. In fact, I know it isn’t. Unless you’re hideous.

You must be hideous.

G-Bus

Banned
That basket in the grocery store is clean. The odd gas station bathroom I've been in have been great too.

I like that restaurant staff and all that are all gloves and masked up. Just everything seems cleaner with food ordering. Fuck skip the dish or what ever shit youjustgotcovid.

supernova8

Banned
In prior years to the shit we find ourselves in now I would get a nasty cold at least 2-3 times a year. Almost always one around the holidays and one in the height of summer. Thanks to social distancing and mask-wearing it's now been over a year and I haven't even had a sniffle. I might keep wearing a mask in public well after this is over. If it ever really is.

This isn't meant to diminish what is happening to people but I'm always trying to find the positives in everything. What about you guys? Anything positive come of this for you?

Haha welcome to JAPAN!

Over here it's been totally normal to walk around with a mask on for years and I think that's a good way of accounting (partly) for why Japan has had so few infections compared to the USA. The first "wave" here was never that big to begin with and so the second wave wasn't either.

I also haven't had a cold or anything since I started wearing a mask (and of course not going out so much). It's really interesting and just goes to show all the people saying masks don't work are idiots at best, and indirectly responsible for more deaths at worst.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Yes at the cost of half your face being covered all the time. Not sure that’s worth it. In fact, I know it isn’t. Unless you’re hideous.

You must be hideous.
Luckily there’s more to hygiene than face masks, and if we can get some of the people in this world to stop being such dirty bastards I’m all for it

Kev Kev

It’s not just the masks guys. People aren’t traveling, grocery stores are wiping down their carts, gyms are cleaning more often, people in general are using hand sanitizer more, etc

And I wonder what this will do to our immune system once things go back to normal. We’re not meant to live in such a sterile environment with masks on all the time. It’ll be interesting to see how many people get sick once things start going back to normal.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Since I started bike riding regularly and going on hikes / long walks with my dog I haven't been proper sick for a long time. Probably also helps I always washed my hands after returning home even before the pandemic and that me and my partner don't socialize that much and we aren't around people in our jobs.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
It's fucking amazing isn't it. The PCR test even give a positive result for common cold. It's like half the population of the world is now an atomic fuckwit.
So riddle me this: Why is it that masks work for the flu but they don’t seem to work for ole ‘Rona? Because that shit is spreading no matter what we do.

I also wonder out loud what the financial incitives hospitals have for treating flu patients? Is it just as much as the 30k per Rona patient they get? Yeah it’s probably just as much. Watch, next year after Rona is magically cured with Biden fairy dust, it will be the FLU that cause that motorcycle accident!

MilkyJoe

So riddle me this: Why is it that masks work for the flu but they don’t seem to work for ole ‘Rona? Because that shit is spreading no matter what we do.

I also wonder out loud what the financial incitives hospitals have for treating flu patients? Is it just as much as the 30k per Rona patient they get? Yeah it’s probably just as much. Watch, next year after Rona is magically cured with Biden fairy dust, it will be the FLU that cause that motorcycle accident!

Exactly. Flu hasn't disappeared, it's got a new name and the best bit about all this is this; Are we going to all get a vaccine this year, and next year? and the year after that? At the cost of trilions? Or are we going to drop the charade and only gie it to the vulnerable, like we do every year with flu. You watch this magically disappear

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't really thought about it, but now you mention it, same. I usually have Cold once a year at the very least. Runny nose, headache and all that. I didn't get that last year, and still haven't been sick yet.

That is where I just jinxed myself.

kristen wiig snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

John2290

SMH. Wow.
If you're sick and know it, you are a fucking asshole by walking around spreading it. Not only are you getting others sick but you're causing economic damage and that's another thing that'd should have changed and will now, is employers will make sure sick people stay at home if they work with others and kids will be kept out of school. People will need less antibiotics and antibiotics resistant bugs won't end up causing a new small pox in the near future, the economy will save money and people will get away with not being sick twice a year. This only makes sense, the only downside is peoples immunity will be naturally worse but we were on that trajectory anyway.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sounds like a win for the OP wearing masks has been great for the world and when it’s all said and done I think we’ll still stand 6 feet from people, and encourage washing hands.

pel1300

I’ve been good too for the most part, but I’ve felt like shit a few times. I guess that’s normal for me, though. The real silver lining is those stimulus checks coming in. I love free money.
Between people wanting mask wearing to continue post pandemic and seeing people loving "free money"....

You guys are scaring me. People have become so complacent.

I used to be open to universal basic income before covid. Now I can see how easy it is for a tyrant to abuse it.

All of this "Wow I haven't been sick for a whole year" talk kind of reminds me of 10 months ago everyone saying "OMG I was pretty sick in January. I also had no sense of smell or taste for a few days" when everyone wanted to believe they already had covid.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
haven't been sick in over twenty years
Wolverine? You some kind of mutant? That's really something.
I hardly get sick either. During school years, I got sick maybe 3 times.

As an adult, every 4-5 years I get this horrible 24-48 hr binge where I'm hitting the shitter every hour. Not sure if that's food poisoning or a flu bug. I feel fine mentally and strength wise, but my gut is flushing someone out of my system so much my ass is raw from wiping!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
didn't help me. I have some kind of flu for a week now.
I feel good but my throat is sore and a nose running... but smell is fine lol

HE1NZ

Banned
I got a little sick two weeks ago. After it was over some folks suggested I take the antibodies test. I did and turns out it was Covid :messenger_smirking:

Ikutachi

I'd say no/fewer sickness in the last year had to do with increased use of hand sanitizers and fewer public gatherings. Yes, I think masks had nothing to do with it. I wear mine only under my nose in business places and never got sick.

NahaNago

and hear I am thinking I'm about to catch a cold because I've got some sniffles.

edit: looked up sniffles to make sure I was using the right word and gay meet up app is the first thing that pops up?

Last edited:
You'll have to speak for yourself, OP. I normally catch a cold once a year which is usually right around Christmas, whereas last year I had 3 colds almost one after the other during the summer. I rarely get a cold in the summer, let alone 3 of them and this while enduring pandemic measures.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
With washing my hands more and wearing a mask meaning i cant bite my fingers i havent been sick in forever. Goes to show how germs spread and changing minor habiys whilst using proper hygiene can help significantly

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
With washing my hands more and wearing a mask meaning i cant bite my fingers i havent been sick in forever. Goes to show how germs spread and changing minor habiys whilst using proper hygiene can help significantly
I actually still bite my nails and touch my face far too much. I have to stop myself in the moment, but when I'm watching something I tend to forget. Habits I'm struggling to break. The finger biting thing was always my way of dealing with anxious thoughts.

This is one good thing about playing games, I don't have time to bite my nails.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You think we can vaccinate the entire population of the planet every winter? Ummm LOL? It'll take 4 to 5 years to vaccinate the planet for this one, at the cost of trillions. Do you have a brain?
We vaccinate upwards of 50% of the US population every year for the flu. They encourage everyone to do it, not just "the vulnerable."

That was what I was LOL-ing about.

MilkyJoe

We vaccinate upwards of 50% of the US population every year for the flu. They encourage everyone to do it, not just "the vulnerable."

That was what I was LOL-ing about.

That's because you live in a country with commercial medicine, in the world where health care is a basic right and not a commodity, they only vaccinate those at risk, no one stands to make money in vaccinating pointlessly

IntentionalPun

That's because you live in a country with commercial medicine, in the world where health care is a basic right and not a commodity, they only vaccinate those at risk, no one stands to make money in vaccinating pointlessly
You really don't understand vaccination.. the goal is heard immunity. Countries like S. Korea lead the world in this area and have... the lowest flu mortality rate by far. They vaccination almost their entire population and for instance have like 1/5th the per capita flu deaths as the US.

They also routinely wear masks in flu season.

MilkyJoe

You really don't understand vaccination.. the goal is heard immunity. Countries like S. Korea lead the world in this area and have... the lowest flu mortality rate by far. They vaccination almost their entire population and for instance have like 1/5th the per capita flu deaths as the US.

They also routinely wear masks in flu season.

You don't need to be vaccinated if you are not at risk, immunity through contraction of the disease works better than a vaccine, as it's pretty fucking specific, where as vaccines are all but guessing which strain of flu is going to be the prevalent disease in any given year, and they are not always right, and so offer little protection - hello flu jab from winter 2019! How do you think herd immunity worked before vaccines? or in the wild? We certainly wouldn't have made it this far if vaccines were the only way to survive. I don't think you know very much about flu vaccination, Son. .

They can wear horse mane butt plugs for all I give a fuck. I'm not suffering these shitty masks every season to appease a bunch of bloody do-gooders.

IntentionalPun

You don't need to be vaccinated if you are not at risk, immunity through contraction of the disease works better than a vaccine, as it's pretty fucking specific, where as vaccines are all but guessing which strain of flu is going to be the prevalent disease in any given year, and they are not always right, and so offer little protection - hello flu jab from winter 2019! How do you think herd immunity worked before vaccines? or in the wild? We certainly wouldn't have made it this far if vaccines were the only way to survive. I don't think you know very much about flu vaccination, Son. .

They can wear horse mane butt plugs for all I give a fuck. I'm not suffering these shitty masks every season to appease a bunch of bloody do-gooders.
Herd immunity barely happens w/o vaccines and basically can't happen for many diseases, including corona-viruses.. and.. the flu.

And if not enough people get vaccinated, that increases the chance that a vaccinated "vulnerable" person gets sick. Because it increases the amount of mutations.

I'm well aware of how the flu shot works, and how it's not full proof. No vaccine is.

Vaccines are a modern miracle; one of the greatest scientific advancements in human history.. if only humans weren't so painfully stupid.

MilkyJoe

Herd immunity barely happens w/o vaccines and basically can't happen for many diseases, including corona-viruses.. and.. the flu.

And if not enough people get vaccinated, that increases the chance that a vaccinated "vulnerable" person gets sick. Because it increases the amount of mutations.

I'm well aware of how the flu shot works, and how it's not full proof. No vaccine is.

Vaccines are a modern miracle; one of the greatest scientific advancements in human history.. if only humans weren't so painfully stupid.

There is no need to get vaccinated for a disease that has a survivability rating of >99.99 and mutates every year, unless you are at risk! If the vulnerable are vaccinated and no longer at risk there is no need for the healthy to get vaccinated.

Can you hear yourself? You are advocating that we vaccinate the entire globe against flu, every year, despite the cost being several trillion a year, the effort would take 4 - 5 years alone, which means we would be on a constant, rolling, immunization program, GUESSING, which strains to administer... are you painfully stupid?

buizel

Banned
There is no need to get vaccinated for a disease that has a survivability rating of >99.99 and mutates every year, unless you are at risk! If the vulnerable are vaccinated and no longer at risk there is no need for the healthy to get vaccinated.

Can you hear yourself? You are advocating that we vaccinate the entire globe against flu, every year, despite the cost being several trillion a year, the effort would take 4 - 5 years alone, which means we would be on a constant, rolling, immunization program, GUESSING, which strains to administer... are you painfully stupid?

Or painfully smart.

If you're the government, you NEED any excuse to cost the taxpayer trillions.

IntentionalPun

I didn't advocate for anything having to do with the flu; I explained to you that we do in fact in developed nations vaccinate far more than the "vulnerable." Because the non-vulnerable not getting vaccinated greatly increases the risk... to the vulnerable.. since.. as you so kindly pointed out, the flu vaccine is not full proof.

By your language I'm guessing you live in the UK? Do you live in England? Do you know they vaccinate > 70% of the people there for the flu every year?

But beyond that.. COVID ,the virus being discussed in this thread... has over 10 times the mortality rate.

Not that "mortality" is the only problem with COVID.. or the flu.

And those rates aren't small when a virus can spread like wildfire.. we vaccinate against the flu because it is so transmittable... which is why despite a "99.9%" survivability rate.. and vaccinating roughly half the population.. it's still a top 10 killer in the US.

What I advocate for is for developed nations to continue what they are doing to stop the spread of diseases. Because I don't want to get sick... anyone can be hit with pneumonia from a bad case of the flu and it can permanently damage you... leave you more "vulnerable" in the future. And who the fuck wants to get the flu? lol

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I didn't advocate for anything having to do with the flu; I explained to you that we do in fact in developed nations vaccinate far more than the "vulnerable." Because the non-vulnerable not getting vaccinated greatly increases the risk... to the vulnerable.. since.. as you so kindly pointed out, the flu vaccine is not full proof.

By your language I'm guessing you live in the UK? Do you live in England? Do you know they vaccinate > 70% of the people there for the flu every year?

But beyond that.. COVID ,the virus being discussed in this thread... has over 10 times the mortality rate.

Not that "mortality" is the only problem with COVID.. or the flu.

And those rates aren't small when a virus can spread like wildfire.. we vaccinate against the flu because it is so transmittable... which is why despite a "99.9%" survivability rate.. and vaccinating roughly half the population.. it's still a top 10 killer in the US.

What I advocate for is for developed nations to continue what they are doing to stop the spread of diseases. Because I don't want to get sick... anyone can be hit with pneumonia from a bad case of the flu and it can permanently damage you... leave you more "vulnerable" in the future. And who the fuck wants to get the flu? lol

Whaaaaaaaaat?

😂 I dunno where you googled that but this is the reality

"In the 2019/20 flu campaign, around 15.3m vaccinations were administered to eligible groups, covering patients over 65, those in clinical at-risk groups, pregnant women, children aged two to three years old, primary school children and healthcare workers."

In countries where health care is a business they vaccinate far more than is required, certainly not here

Apart from the number in what I've posted, the key words are "eligible groups". It's not offered to everyone. As someone that has dated an American chick, don't think i haven't noticed your obsession with unnecessary medication, in the UK we medicate if we are prescribed by a doctor, that's it.

Here's some extra trivia :

Did you know it's thought that 20-50% of the UK population is already immune to SARS viruses

I reckon I'm in that group, as I've never had the flu, according to the symptoms. 👍🏼

Here, if masks work, how come people are catching covid in multiples of wave one?

IntentionalPun

I misread something; it was the "uptake", the greater number of people getting vaccinated.

The goal this last year was 30 million though, more than half your population... basically anyone who would have regular contact with the "vulnerable."

But I did misread, I'll take the L. Here in the US they want 70% of the overall population getting it. Same with places like S. Korea.

And masks are effective.. it's been proven. It's.. just basic fucking science lol

Last edited:

poodaddy

Yes my G i am with you on that. I'm usually debilitated by a cold or flu around December that always leads to a painful ear-infection that completely destroys me for 2 weeks. People wearing masks and keeping their shitty super-spreading kids away has been a godsend.

Parent here.

I agree.

Know how many times I've gotten sick immediately after volunteering for a field trip with my daughter's school? And inevitably one of those little shit stains will wipe their disgusting snot covered fingers all over my pants and hands without even thinking about washing them. They sneeze all over me, they cough constantly, hell one time a kid literally wiped his goddamn nose off on my fuckin coat wrist!

I love my daughter more than life itself, but in general, kids are awful.

Top Bottom