• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A solution to the college bookstore monopoly

Status
Not open for further replies.

abner108

TextbookAvenue.com is a recently launched marketplace for used textbooks. Listings are free until the end of the year. You can use it to find books for sale at your own university, so that you don't have to pay for shipping.

Wendo

Vasectomember
Meh, there are already hundreds of these sites out there. There are over five based entirely on my college alone.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
my university actually runs a second hand bookstore. sell your old books at half the price you bought them and buy books for the new semester at half price you'd pay for a brand new ones. i save heaps of money.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Scrow said:
my university actually runs a second hand bookstore. sell your old books at half the price you bought them and buy books for the new semester at half price you'd pay for a brand new ones. i save heaps of money.

Same! But you have to get in early which I never do :)

goodcow

Scrow said:

What country is this? Surely not America, right?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
scrow has a pretty sweet setup if he's getting half his money back and only paying half for used books. if im lucky enough for my book to be used the following semester, i probably get about 25%-30% of what i paid back, and if im buying a used book im paying 75% or so of the new price.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
if your college town is worth a shit then you can walk 25 feet off campus and find a non uni new/used textbook store :p

Teflar

Heh. Had a friend back at college that would go into the bookstore, grab a couple books off the shelves and then put them in one of the lockers that you can store bags and stuff in. Later one of his friends would go to the locker, get the books and sell them back to the store and they'd split the profit, hehe.

I tried it once with another friend of mine, but we were wusses afraid of getting caught so we only took one book, and it was being replaced next semester so they weren't buying it back. Oh well.

Our university was a money leeching whore anyway, we didn't feel bad (attempting) to steal from them. And I still have the textbook they wouldn't take, heh, got it free at least.

Anyone need an abnormal psych textbook?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i'm in australia too. what university you go to mario? i go to Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
DarthWoo said:
Anyone find it suspect when somebody's first post is an ad?
hey... wtf, you're right. and he/she hasn't made any other posts.

retardboy

Wait... Most colleges don't have a book buyback (used bookstore)? I thought every university did this. My does at least. (in america) We usually get 50% or more for our books at the end of the semester. They even have some stupid poster at the bookstore showing how much students saved from doing that and it was like almost a million bucks. However, you could sell your books on ebay for higher prices anyway, but this is more convenient.

Loki

Count of Concision
Yeah, at my college you can sell your texts back to the bookstore, usually for around 30% of the cost. Thing is, they only give you like $10 if there's a new edition of your text being used for the class, which happens very frequently-- it seems that these publishers put out a new edition every year with little or no new content (I'm looking at you, science and math texts).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Loki said:
Yeah, at my college you can sell your texts back to the bookstore, usually for around 30% of the cost. Thing is, they only give you like $10 if there's a new edition of your text being used for the class, which happens very frequently-- it seems that these publishers put out a new edition every year with little or no new content (I'm looking at you, science and math texts).

My favorite was when I took Discrete Mathematics I and II. Book was supposed to be used for both classes. Go to DM II, new book, not edition, simply newer line of books, okay whatever, buy it, go to sell it at end of quarter, new edition of that book! so within 3 quarters, DM was taught under a different book. Awesome!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Loki said:
Thing is, they only give you like $10 if there's a new edition of your text being used for the class, which happens very frequently
that's better than what i get. if there's a new edition for a book, the secondhand bookstore simply wont buy the older editions anymore.

retardboy

Ahhh, definitely! Goodness I hate new editions!! :( That's what I use ebay for. My school won't even take old editions. You just have to eat the loss.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Real cheapass students purchase used books, photocopy the necessary pages and return them for a refund :p

Or borrow from a friend/library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom