• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Thorough Look At God of War

I was just looking at the God of War collection for the PS3! So, should I watch this before or after I play the games covered?

Shifty

I was just looking at the God of War collection for the PS3! So, should I watch this before or after I play the games covered?
It's full-spoilers for the sake of getting into the analytical nitty-gritty, so it might be better to hold off if you're concerned about the story.

Ian Henry

Classic shit! That early - mid 2000s PS2 era was dope asf. God Of War, The Getaway, Jak & Daxter, Socom, Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank, ICO & SOTC, Twisted Metal: Black, Sly Cooper among others on the 1st Party end. While you got MGS, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Soul Calibur, Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, Grand Theft, etc Auto all in their primes in the 3rd Party. That era was tight af and definitely a golden age for the medium.

Man, Noah Caldwell is so awesome! I love his hours and hours of analysi..ses... The first youtuber ever, I really thought over, supporting through Patreon and shit (but still never did).
I agree with this.

In addition to being well read and thoughtful, I’ve never heard Noah get political. Dude just loves games, music, and traveling the country.

D_Dark

Neo Member
In addition to being well read and thoughtful, I’ve never heard Noah get political. Dude just loves games, music, and traveling the country.
You may want to watch his Alice the Madness video then, he goes on rant about sucker punch movie, then about the writer for Alice Madness returns not having the right to write stuff about women because he isn't one and finally since Alice is American Mcgee's waifu she can never be her own character.

The dude is fine, he is a decent narrative critique, though not really that but an excellent story teller. He ignores parts he doesn't like, he takes authors personally and let it affect the judgement of the work. And finally he is an awful gamer, can barely play games. I though crpg's were his thing, but then he complains about the simplest things. As for action games, I wouldn't take his opinion unless someone paid me a million dollars to pretend it was good.

You may want to watch his Alice the Madness video then, he goes on rant about sucker punch movie, then about the writer for Alice Madness returns not having the right to write stuff about women because he isn't one and finally since Alice is American Mcgee's waifu she can never be her own character.

The dude is fine, he is a decent narrative critique, though not really that but an excellent story teller. He ignores parts he doesn't like, he takes authors personally and let it affect the judgement of the work. And finally he is an awful gamer, can barely play games. I though crpg's were his thing, but then he complains about the simplest things. As for action games, I wouldn't take his opinion unless someone paid me a million dollars to pretend it was good.

None of that sounds political though. Just his opinion on American McGee and Alice Madness Returns. I'm pretty sure he prefers the story in the first American McGee's Alice over the sequel since I kind of remembering him saying that the story in the sequel invalidates the superior story of the first game.

Bryank75

Banned
Got a spare 3 hours to watch an analysis of all 7 major God of War games? 'course you do, get in here.

And by 'here' I mean Gaming-side because heyo wrong subforum don't mind me folks. Thanks mods. Thmods.

I really enjoyed that, Thanks Shifty!
It really put into words a lot of what I admire and feel about the games, particularly the new one.

Last edited:

desertdroog

The first game was like looking back on my childhood watching all the monster movies and sand & sandal movies in a video game form. It was epic before the word epic was overused to describe video games. This latest game upped the bar with what a God of War game could be and I am still excited on how they weave the mythos together. Looking forward to where they are going to take this. I may not be the best at the Valkyrie fights and the Werewolves gave me problems up until I finished the game, but I enjoyed the time I had with it.

Last edited:

Helscream

Banned
You know I always wandered if Noah Caldwell-Gervais would ever end up doing a breakdown of the God of War Series. The dude is one of the best content creators of his field IMO. I am about to watch the video, but I was always a bit annoyed out how when God of War (2018) came out people talked about how it was a "deep" story. I would argue God of War was always deep going back to the first entry. It's just you didnt have as much focus on narrative like you do with the most recent entry.

Lets not forgoet Chains of Olympus (Kratos has to LEAVE his daughter BEHIND in the Elysium and use controller inputs to push her away). Also Ghost of Sparta had an aboslutely amazing fucking ending. (You had to physically carry Deimos' body to the top of a sheer cliff to lay the last of Kratos' family to rest). None the less I am eager to see what Noah Gervais take is on the series.

Ian Henry

You know I always wandered if Noah Caldwell-Gervais would ever end up doing a breakdown of the God of War Series. The dude is one of the best content creators of his field IMO. I am about to watch the video, but I was always a bit annoyed out how when God of War (2018) came out people talked about how it was a "deep" story. I would argue God of War was always deep going back to the first entry. It's just you didnt have as much focus on narrative like you do with the most recent entry.

Lets not forgoet Chains of Olympus (Kratos has to LEAVE his daughter BEHIND in the Elysium and use controller inputs to push her away). Also Ghost of Sparta had an aboslutely amazing fucking ending. (You had to physically carry Deimos' body to the top of a sheer cliff to lay the last of Kratos' family to rest). None the less I am eager to see what Noah Gervais take is on the series.
100% agreed. Well said.

I'm about 2 hours in!

I like some of his takes, but the guy keep complaining about Kratos being sexist, etc. This becomes kind of old after a while.
Never gave a crap about about God Of War before the 2018 game. Don't know how anyone could find it boring.
It's not boring, but the game is missing over the top set pieces and bosses. You would have climbed and killed those giants yourself in the previous games.

The only notable boss in God of War PS4 was the dragon fight, it lasted like 5 minutes, unfortunately the other "bosses" are variants of the first troll you meet. The main game is also easier than GoW 1 to 3 (even 3 was comparatively easy).

So they could have dialed the action to 11.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I'm about 2 hours in!

I like some of his takes, but the guy keep complaining about Kratos being sexist, etc. This becomes kind of old after a while.

It's not boring, but the game is missing over the top set pieces and bosses. You would have climbed and killed those giants yourself in the previous games.

The only notable boss in God of War PS4 was the dragon fight, it lasted like 5 minutes, unfortunately the other "bosses" are variants of the first troll you meet. The main game is also easier than GoW 1 to 3 (even 3 was comparatively easy).

So they could have dialed the action to 11.
Felt like so much repetitive testosterone fueled button mashing with flashy background effects, was no different mechanically than a Dynasty warriors game.

Journey

Banned
God of War 3 is still the best imo, what an awesome and epic game.
Tried the new one but could only stomach an hour before i was bored to tears. Although i tried it on PSNow, which looked like playing a 720p Youtube video, so i didnt have the graphics to lure me in and keep playing.

Part 1 was such an impact when I first played it, I remember the first time...
I broke out of hell and came out the grave the old man had been digging earlier, my mind was blown, is this a game or real life?

Part 2 was technically more impressive than 1, by a pretty wide margin, but I still felt the storytelling from 1 was better. Chains of Olympus comes in 3rd place and GOW3 comes in 4th place in my opinion.

Last edited:
Felt like so much repetitive testosterone fueled button mashing with flashy background effects, was no different mechanically than a Dynasty warriors game.
It's not as if you could not describe the new game, this way as well, or any game with some sort of combo system (Streets of Rage, street fighter, to devil may cry). The old games had a great combo system that added depth and re-playability (I went through multiple pay through in each of them),

Top Bottom