• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Very Venture Christmas... the last episode ever? Tonight at 11:45 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight is the Venture Bros. Christmas special, "A Very Venture Christmas." Jackson Publick has intimated that their renewal is hinging on the ratings this episode receives, so if you ever cared about the show (and live in a Nielson HH) tonight would be the time to tune in.

If you've never seen it, give it a chance! It's a short, 11-minute episode featuring nearly everyone who has ever been on the show. It takes place somewhere before the season (?) finale, for reasons which would be obvious had you seen what transpired during it.

Some images:
vb1.jpg

vb2.jpg

vb3.jpg

vb4.jpg

Gribbix

Can't wait. Venture Bros. is one of my favorite shows and easily my favorite adult swim show. Hopefully it'll be renewed.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've got to say, this show became my favorite on adult swim after the miserable first episode (or, at least, the first one I saw...the one with the space station).

I'd be rather disappointed if it doesn't get renewed. Especially if Tom Goes to the Mayor does. Granted, production costs for the latter are a bit lower, I'm sure.

B'z-chan

Banned
We must not let Tom Goes to the Mayor get another season while Venture Bro.s (the best Adult Swim show since Sealab) doesnt get the chance to grow beyond its first season. I will watch both airings tonight of this show. I tend to leave the tv on CN at night in hopes it gives some of the shows i like the ratings they need.

I want more reruns, cause i cant wait till a dvd release.

Do your part and watch this tonight folks.

seriously if that crap tom goes to the mayor gets a second season and venture bros doesnt Ill kill some one at Cartoon Network

Silkworm

Will this episode of Venture Bros. be reaired later tonight/early AM morning? I haven't seen enough of these episodes as it comes on kind of late on Saturday. Why don't they include it in their Sunday adult swim block? Or maybe they do? It's been a while since I've watched the Sunday adult swim...

arter_2

I was shocked at the sudden ending of the season i really love this show and the christams special was funny. lets all hope it is renewed and crap like milkchan dosnt survive another year.

Fantastic episode, marred only by its length. The Monarch is easily the best Adult Swim character ever! Check out his calls from
prison
, if you haven't already:
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/561/561302p1.html
Also: don't miss their Little Drummer Boy duet!
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/573/573912p1.html
There are spoilers in the text at those links, so be careful if you haven't seen the full season.

It's all up to CN now. Guess all we can do is wait (and constantly refresh Publick Nuisance!)

Silkworm said:
Will this episode of Venture Bros. be reaired later tonight/early AM morning? I haven't seen enough of these episodes as it comes on kind of late on Saturday. Why don't they include it in their Sunday adult swim block? Or maybe they do? It's been a while since I've watched the Sunday adult swim...
Yeah. It'll be on again at 2:45AM EST.

VB has had a strange airing schedule. Premieres were Saturdays at 11PM (then after a few months they got smart and used Futurama as a lead-in, so new episodes were at 11:30PM). That same premiere would then air the following Sunday (really Monday morning) at 12:30AM. When the full 13-episode season finished the show switched to strip-programming, and it was on the Monday-Wednesday block at 12AM (Not on Thursdays, though, as that has recently become "premiere repeat night"). It's really a disaster of scheduling, as they change the order and shows on what seems to be a weekly basis.

Rorschach

Tom Goes to the Mayor is getting a lot of cameos by celebs for a new show...especially considering it's a relatively unknown show on AS.

Yeah, seriously. Jeff Garlin was in tonight's! I'm still hoping it will turn the corner at some point, because the first episode wasn't that bad. Since then, though... PEVO.

B'z-chan

Banned
Its all cause of B.O. a lot of the people on Tom goes to the Mayor have gotten some "help" either in writing or in some parts. I think its stupid and uninspired, but damn that intro song. You just cant get it out of your head. Jefferton ALIVE Jefferton ALIVE... FOOD SHOPING... get it out of my head please. I think its screwing with my mind.

Gribbix

The Abominable Snowman said:
What kind of ratings are 'good' for a network like CN? I thought, from the little bumps in between shows, that Venture Bros regularly scored above 500K every saturday.

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that Venture Bros would have to do very well for CN to renew it considering that it costs them a lot more to make than any other adult swim show.

Gribbix said:
I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that Venture Bros would have to do very well for CN to renew it considering that it costs them a lot more to make than any other adult swim show.

Yeah. It's about the only original program they run that actually looks like a real cartoon and not a shockwave animation.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Abominable Snowman said:
What kind of ratings are 'good' for a network like CN? I thought, from the little bumps in between shows, that Venture Bros regularly scored above 500K every saturday.
Yeah, I've been under the impression that the show has been getting good ratings.

It's seems like every week for the last month and a half, the Saturday AS ratings have been Futurama, Venture Bros., Fullmetal Alchemist, in that order.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Jim Bowie said:
Shit, I love TGTTM. I guess I'm the only one.

Rats off to you jerks.
You know, I STILL can't figure out if I like or hate TGTTM. It's just so...I don't know. It's EXTREMELY rare that it actually makes me laugh, though. I guess that's probably the best way of measuring it.

Jim Bowie

MetatronM said:
You know, I STILL can't figure out if I like or hate TGTTM. It's just so...I don't know. It's EXTREMELY rare that it actually makes me laugh, though. I guess that's probably the best way of measuring it.

It's not so much the amazing jokes, because some of the jokes fall flat. I think the best part about the show is the amazing delivery. Because, frankly, it's the funniest delivery in any cartoon that's out right now, IMO

Drensch

It amazes me how shows like Brak, Home Movies, Venture bros, Mission hill all had problems or were cancelled, yet crap like TGTTM, and Milk Chan are still on.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I love the Venture Brothers.. I at least hope it makes it to DVD.

To be fair.. TGTTM is "still on" because its in its initial run. I doubt it gets re-upped. At least I hope not.

MetatronM said:
I feel the same way, I do hope it gets the plug pulled eventually, and replaced with something. I just kind of sat through tonight's episode just blinking my eyes. The only thing that made me even consider laughing was the end of the ROTY music video where she fubbed up the hand spelling.

StoOgE

while Im here.. that bump for Aquateen with the dancing girl makes me feel all funny in my pant area.

Great episode. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even know about this until I saw this post just a few hours before it aired where I'm at.

Gribbix

:lol

I just noticed something. After Dr. Venture "woke up" from his first dream, he said something to the effect of "Thank God, I thought I turned into a total fag." Funny thing is that in the later dream sequence, Krampus humps his ass.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Drensch said:
It amazes me how shows like Brak, Home Movies, Venture bros, Mission hill all had problems or were cancelled, yet crap like TGTTM, and Milk Chan are still on.
I have a feeling neither is going to last (especially Milk-Chan).

xsarien

daedsiluap
Drensch said:

Mission Hill's run on CN consisted entirely of the same few episodes that were produced in the late 90s for The WB. If anyone's wondering why it was pulled off of AS, it was because someone dropped the ball and decided to air the damned show every damned week until every damned episode wasn't any (damned) funny anymore.

Home Movies - the reasons alluded to, anyway - was cancelled for a combined reason of ratings, and there being at least 52 episodes available; this allows CN, if they want, to air one episode a week without ever having to repeat one for a full year.

Anyway, Venture Brothers needs at least another season. It got off to a slow start (the first episode made me hate it, but they made up for it big time), and it's easily one of their strongest shows. It'd be a shame to see it go.

Drensch said:

I agree with this Milk Chan, and TGTTM is some of the worst pieces of turds that have ever aired on tv

if either one of them gets a second season and VB doesn't (VB is the best original show AS has EVER HAD) I will have to hurt some one at AS

Belfast

Definitely. THVB is the only Adult Swim original that feels like a real cartoon and a lot of the classic shows have either fallen by the wayside or been cancelled. Remember when SeaLab was popular? And that was maybe less than a year ago! Now they're pretty much riding along on Futurama/Family Guy/ATHF. I don't know if TVB will ever make them a lot of money, but its a quality show and I hope it continues.

Phoenix

Shin Johnpv said:
I agree with this Milk Chan, and TGTTM is some of the worst pieces of turds that have ever aired on tv

if either one of them gets a second season and VB doesn't (VB is the best original show AS has EVER HAD) I will have to hurt some one at AS

I'll give you the address :)

StoOgE

Phoenix said:
I'll give you the address :)

Williams street in Atlanta? and we allready know what their building looks like because its in their logo. It cant be that hard to find.

and firebomb.

Pimpwerx

I hope VB gets renewed. I caught the last 10 minutes of last night's ep. Funny as usual. The timeslot shuffle they've done with the show threw me off personally, so I've only seen 5 or 6 eps this season. All are pretty good, although some like the space station one seriously suck ass. Definitely hope they can give us a marathon so I can catch all the eps at once. PEACE.

Belfast said:
Remember when SeaLab was popular?

Coincidentally, sealab was actually funny a year ago.

As for Venture Bros., I haven't seen enough to make an entirely qualified opinion of it, but from what I've seen I didn't like it too much. Only good for the occasional chuckle.

Jim Bowie said:
Shit, I love TGTTM. I guess I'm the only one.

Rats off to you jerks.
I can't say I love it, but I certainly don't hate it either. I'm mostly just apathetic at this point. It actually stands out as being strange on Adult Swim (of all places!). If that's not a reason to tune in, then I don't know what is.

StoOgE said:
I love the Venture Brothers.. I at least hope it makes it to DVD.

To be fair.. TGTTM is "still on" because its in its initial run. I doubt it gets re-upped. At least I hope not.
Back before the first season aired, a card was shown that had it penciled in for a DVD release. Assuming those plans haven't changed (which isn't really an assumption that one can make as the cards lie all the time) it should be on DVD next year.

The Shadow said:
Great episode. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even know about this until I saw this post just a few hours before it aired where I'm at.
Awesome! I'm happy to help.

xsarien said:
Mission Hill's run on CN consisted entirely of the same few episodes that were produced in the late 90s for The WB. If anyone's wondering why it was pulled off of AS, it was because someone dropped the ball and decided to air the damned show every damned week until every damned episode wasn't any (damned) funny anymore.

Home Movies - the reasons alluded to, anyway - was cancelled for a combined reason of ratings, and there being at least 52 episodes available; this allows CN, if they want, to air one episode a week without ever having to repeat one for a full year.

Anyway, Venture Brothers needs at least another season. It got off to a slow start (the first episode made me hate it, but they made up for it big time), and it's easily one of their strongest shows. It'd be a shame to see it go.
If you've read some of the recent Brendon Small interviews (IGN Film Force comes to mind, amazing interview) it seems like Mike Lazzo (AS Overlord) had it in for the show even before the 4th season aired. The ratings were inconsequential to the shows demise, unfortunately, because it was the baby of another CN producer (Khaki Jones), not Lazzo. Apparently he only gets behind the shows he had something to do with bringing to the block.

Claus said:
I thought Venture Bros. was one of their higher rated shows right behind Futurama?
It is, but it wasn't always. The thing about the show (as has been stated previously in the thread) is the fact that the animation is done in Korea. It's like a REAL cartoon! All of the WS originals are done on computers AT Williams Street and cost next-to-nothing to produce. CN's unrealistically high expectations of what the show should do, its budget, and horrible scheduling will be what does it in, if it is in fact "done in." I got a bad feeling after the Christmas special that next season will switch to 11-minute episodes as a cost-cutting measure; something I hope was just idle speculation on my part. While the episode was great, it just wasn't long enough. Unlike the 10,000 jokes-a-second nature of many of the other AS shows, VB needs time to work its nuances... dammit! It would be better than the alternative, though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
xsarien said:
I agree. I greatly disliked it for a while, but fairly recently I started giving it a chance, and I found it was pretty good. Not really laugh out loud funny most of the time, but a lot of fun and quite enjoyable.

And that Christmas episode was one of the best that I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom