• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A World of Keflings |OT|

GhaleonEB

I didn't see a thread up yet, but since the game came out today, I figured one was warranted.

Platform | XBLA

Release Date | Out now!

Players | 2-player local co-op, 4-player Xbox Live (drop-in/out)

Developer | Ninjabee

Price | 800 MS Spacebucks (aka, $10)

Reviews | Gamerankings (82%)

IGN (8.0)

Between its humor and pace of rewarding your efforts, A World of Keflings won me over. Yes, there are occasional frustrations with selecting Keflings in crowded spots, but to be fair, I did myself no favors by keeping my towns tight in hopes of decreasing travel time. I like the constant stream of new stuff in World of Keflings, as you are discovering a new building blueprint or special object every ten or fifteen minutes. Plus, the only punishment for making a mistake in World of Keflings is lost time. If you need a break this season from racing supercars or making the bad guy blow up real good, World of Keflings is a refreshing antidote.​

Game Informer (8.25)

Ninja Bee has addressed practically every complaint from the previous title, and the experience flows much better because of it. You no longer need to backtrack constantly to build structures thanks to a cadre of devoted flunkies carrying components right to you (they’ll even erect some buildings themselves). If you don’t like where a structure ends up, you can just push it to a new location without having to break down and reassemble it.

Towering over the other improvements is the presence of local co-op, which was missing the last time around. Now you and your friend (or your kid) can sit on the same couch and go through the entire game together – a process made even easier with the split-screen and drop-in features. The game supports up to four players over Xbox Live, but playing with more people in either multiplayer mode doesn’t really change your approach. It’s just more fun than plowing through the linear campaign solo.​

About

A World of Keflings is a sequel to the successful A Kingdom for Keflings for XBLA. Like the first game, World is a simplified world building game, where players control their Avatar as a giant among a population of diminutive Keflings. What you do is build stuff.

The primary way to build things is to assign the Keflings a role. Place them on a resource, and they'll harvest it. Place the harvesters in a workshop, and they'll move what they harvest to the workshop as they go. Or, assign dedicated resources movers. Your job is to direct traffic, construct the buildings, complete objectives, and chip in yourself to help out where ever you see fit.

Use the resources to construct components, and assemble them into buildings. Doing so unlocks the next in a set of periodically branching blueprint trees. As you go you'll uncover additional ways to upgrade yourself and the Keflings and buildings around you. Gradually, additional resource processing is layered in, and you'll have a buzzing army of productive little workers to do your bidding.

Also, you can abuse them.

World of Keflings adds in same-system co-op building, multiple environments that link together, a longer story mode with a greater emphasis on objectives and characters, and greater customization options for the kingdom.

At no point will anything come along to wreak your stuff. The penalty for wanting to move something is the time it takes to break it down and move it. It's a low-stress, streamlined world building and resource management game.​

Media

Trailer

Snow.jpg

Desert.jpg

forest-1.jpg

The first game was awesome, and from what I've seen and played so far, the sequel looks much better.

fernoca

The game's part of the "Games for the Holidays" along with Raskulls and ilomilo and they all have crossover bonuses too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
KWFvv.jpg

Raskulls, Ilomilo, and A World of Keflings aren't just connected through the shared "Games for the Holidays" promotion. They also each unlock extras in the other games.

In Ilomilo, you can get unlockable Keflings and Raskulls costumes for Ilo and Milo by purchasing the other games. Additionally, "You can unlock ilo and Doug as playable characters in Raskulls," says Raskulls dev Halfbrick, "and also unlock Raskulls characters within ilomilo and World of Keflings by purchasing the full range of games." And buyers of Raskulls or Ilomilo can build homes for characters from those games in A World of Keflings, according to a statement posted by Kotaku.

Even crazier: you can actually get Raskulls early by buying A World of Keflings. Raskulls can be bought from within that game, a week before its December 29 release. That's two out of the three games available early!​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Video (of what you can unlock)

Triz

hmmm I have one of the developers of this one on my firends list and he sent me a message that said if I opened it within this game Id get special unlocks...wonder if I could forward it.

:/

I totally forgot about the first game, it was fucking awesome but I was caught up in releases at the time and it totally slipped my mine! Will be getting this down soon for sure!

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I loved the first game and this improves on most of the niggles and creates only a couple of new ones. However, my cheery, saccharine second world has now transformed into a mass labour camp with Keflings abandoning regular jobs in favour of tearing down the entire landscape in search of a lost textbook. Piles of abandoned crystal, wood and rocks scatter the ground and as each depleted node uncovers only empty grass or worthless cogs, my temper sours. I know it's wrong but I've begun to abuse them, kicking them around as my obese lackeys watch on with gleeful faces. I'm not the friendly giant in a spacesuit any more. I'm a monster. A monster in chicken slippers and happy new year spectacles. I hate what I've become.

Seriously though, I can't find this second book to make the university :(

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Bought this before heading off to work today. Without even playing the trial, which is something I never do.

Will play it later.

FrankT

Picked up today. I never picked up the first so I thought this maybe a good place to start. Too many games and too little time so far though. Will get it too it soon however.

Sydle

This came out of nowhere. I loved the first and spent many hours with it, so this is an insta-buy when I turn my 360 on again.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Hmm, reading this review - http://www.xboxhornet.com/wordpress/?p=6915 - suggests that my missing second textbook is actually a bug. That's disappointing but it doesn't sound like I won't be able to progress so I'm not too bothered. Still, if anybody else has the same glitch then don't spend hours making your Keflings mine/chop/destroy the landscape like I did :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
echoshifting said:
Is there any particular reason these aren't on Steam? I've been eying Kingdom for awhile now and this one looks fun too.
You can download the first one from their website. Cost twice as much as the xbox version though.

GhaleonEB

Finally got to sink a little time into it today. Much improved across the board: selecting and moving objects is less clunky, the dudes that carry parts for me streamlines construction, you don't have to tear down buildings to their base components and re-assemble to move them, and so on. A nice bump in visual fidelity - the original was quite crude in that department - and a lot of very weird, quirky humor (I'm quite fond of the princess Kefling). I'm digging the emphasis on character Keflings rather than a bunch of purely random ones.

I kind of wish it started off more scaled back, as the first one did, rather than already packed with characters and a few buildings. And the ice area is almost alarmingly small. But it seems like a nice iteration on the original in every way, so far.

FrankT

Watched my daughter tear up this game in 3 or 4 sittings. She rarely does that. She loved it so much she wants to get the first now as well. A+ job here.

hitoshi

Willy Wanka said:
Hmm, reading this review - http://www.xboxhornet.com/wordpress/?p=6915 - suggests that my missing second textbook is actually a bug. That's disappointing but it doesn't sound like I won't be able to progress so I'm not too bothered. Still, if anybody else has the same glitch then don't spend hours making your Keflings mine/chop/destroy the landscape like I did :lol

Yesterday i've finally had the time and courage to start the game and then 7 hours elapsed - this never happened beyond Civilization, this is so much better than the first.

But i have bad news for you: I've had the same bug, I didn't get that textbook. Worse: you'll not get the last present either, which is required for the completion of the game. So i poured a whole day into the game for nothing. The official response on Ninjabee forum is: start the game over.

So if you don't get that textbook, don't bother to continue, because you have to restart the whole game to be able to finish it.

I'm really REALLY angry about this. 2010 was my worst year ever, i've never ever had to many game breaking or major bugs than this year. Even the AAA games were ridiculously not QA tested - Red Dead Redemption, New Vegas, Fable III, Ilomilio (with the random freezing in the first weeks, since than, it has been patched) are among the worst offenders. Why in the hell are publishers not giving enough money for QA?!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone pick this up because of the sale this week?

I'm looking for collectibles in the game - my GT is firehawk1234. Just hit me up and we can trade.

Top Bottom