• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A young girl sewn her lips and getting laughed at - Australia, you let this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The Guardian has released Nauru files, a collection of 2000 leaked documents detailing the horrific situation in Australia's asylum detention center in Nauru.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-of-children-in-australian-offshore-detention

Some tidbits from the article:

The devastating trauma and abuse inflicted on children held by Australia in offshore detention has been laid bare in the largest cache of leaked documents released from inside its immigration regime.

The reports range from a guard allegedly grabbing a boy and threatening to kill him once he is living in the community to guards allegedly slapping children in the face. In September 2014 a teacher reported that a young classroom helper had requested a four-minute shower instead of a two-minute shower. “Her request has been accepted on condition of sexual favours. It is a male security person. She did not state if this has or hasn’t occurred. The security officer wants to view a boy or girl having a shower.”

Some reports contain distressing examples of behaviour by traumatised children. According to a report from September 2014, a girl had sewn her lips together. A guard saw her and began laughing at her. In July that year a child under the age of 10 undressed and invited a group of adults to insert their fingers into her vagina; in February 2015 a young girl gestured to her vagina and said a male asylum seeker “cut her from under”.

The reports show extraordinary acts of desperation. One pregnant woman, after being told she would need to give birth on Nauru in October 2015, was agitated and in tears. “I give my baby to Australia to look after,” she pleaded with a caseworker, adding: “I don’t want to have my baby in PNG, the [Nauru hospital] or have it in this dirty environment.”

But the files show a very different picture. Rather than serious events diminishing, they continued – and in some cases escalated – during the course of 2015. A vast number of incidents from across the timeframe have never before been reported.

llegations of sexual assault, particularly against young women, are a persistent theme of the files. In one report an asylum seeker described being told she was “on a list” written by local Nauruan guards naming single women they were “waiting for”. “She has received offers to get her pregnant when she gets out,” the caseworker wrote.

They reveal allegations of misconduct by Wilson Security guards at the detention centre. In one report a “cultural adviser” for Wilson Security, the company that employs guards at the detention camp, allegedly told an asylum seeker who had been sexually assaulted in camp that “rape in Australia is very common and people don’t get punished”.

There are allegations that bus drivers – employed by Australia’s detention contractors – took voyeuristic pictures of women in the camp to use to masturbate. Other reports range from a man facing threats of sexual violence from other asylum seekers to a woman threatening self-harm because she doesn’t want “men to touch her body”.

One man asked a caseworker where he could buy bullets so he could get someone else to shoot him. A woman sharpened a pencil with a razor blade, then cut her wrists. Another wrapped a rope around her neck and tried to hang herself. She had to be held up by guards until she could be cut down.

In one report from January 2015, a teenage girl struggled to cope after her mother’s miscarriage. She began having “ongoing hallucinations from a ‘small person’ ”, a Save the Children worker wrote.

The toll on children’s mental health is particularly heavy. According to an April 2015 report a girl began screaming “uncontrollably” during a fight in a recreation tent.

“During this time [REDACTED] also gouged at her own face consistently and pulled her own hair,” the child protection officer wrote. “It was observed that [REDACTED] could not breath properly and had a glazed look in her eyes.”

According to another report a female guard allegedly refused to let a child under 10 use a toilet and made her squat on the ground instead. Her mother told a caseworker the guard had then shone her torch on the girl’s genitals.

You let this happen, Australia.

I couldn't even get through the OP. That stuff is absolutely horrifying and i feel for those children, holy fuck man. How can people be so terrible.

Derwind

The boats though? Why won't anyone think of the boats?!

Honestly the fact that such a depraved situation as that was allowed to fester for as long as it has is utterly disgusting.

FUME5

It's an appalling situation that neither side of politics (who have the clout) is going to roll back to a less draconic approach. Hell, we just elected Pauline Hanson back into parliment on the back of strong xenophobic community sentiment.

Having said that, where are you from and how's your human rights record.

Media

According to a report from September 2014, a girl had sewn her lips together. A guard saw her and began laughing at her.

Jesus Christ.

Did the prison do this or had it already been done to her when she arrived?

Dead Man

It's a fucking disgrace. That said, plenty of Australians have been trying to fix this shit for years.

Didn't Australia recently ish make a law making it illegal to report on what happens in these centers?

Last year: https://ama.com.au/ausmed/whistleblower-doctors-face-jail-threat-today

Controversial laws under which doctors could face two years imprisonment for speaking out about shortcomings in the health care of detained asylum seekers come into effect today.

In a measure critics complain targets whistleblowers and will further deepen the secrecy surrounding the operation of immigration detention centres, the new Australian Border Force 2015 Act legislation, passed by Parliament in May, demands that all detention centre staff – including health workers - take an oath, and threatens two years imprisonment for any unauthorised disclosure of information.

Damn, that's messed up. Unfortunately our major parties have brainwashed the general public into fearing these people. It's gross and I hate discussing this problem with some other Australians.

Damn Australia, fuck if I ever look at you the same way again

Yeah, we have our issues and many of us are trying to fix it. Where are you that your country doesn't involve itself in gross behaviour of some kind?

Shandy

Where's that survey that had a large percentage (don't remember if it was a majority or not) of respondents say we weren't being harsh enough on asylum seekers?

We're well and truly beyond the pale, and I'll be honest in saying that I don't know what to do about it. These people have been completely and utterly dehumanised to the point where it seems no one gives a shit what happens to them, as long as they don't come here.

Media

You're trying to make this a contest or something?

I believe she did it to herself as a form of protest about the situation.

Damn that is so disturbing. Can you imagine the kind of abuse that drive a child to sew their own lips shut?

I hope a lot of people get in a lot of trouble for this.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Your thread title is a bit shit. Some people made this happen, and others tried to stop it. Some others watched and let it happen.

Well, isn't it true that the Australian government has allowed this to happen or do you reject that? Perhaps the title is shitty, perhaps it's click-baity, but it's true. In fact, as you have stated yourself, your government also threatened anyone trying to divulge the situation with lawsuits and jail time. Isn't that the very definition of "letting this happen?"

One might even argue it's not just letting it happen, but worse, letting it flourishes and continue to happen.

Bernbaum

I'm Australian and voted against the heartless cunts that allowed this to happen.

This is huge and other news vendors aren't picking it up.

I read it, and that's called deflection.

What did you want me to say? That I'll go storm the government right now and demand that conditions be improved or the asylum program be totally reassessed and reimplemented?

I can do what I can do in convincing those around me that they're wrong, but damn, man.

Dead Man

Well, isn't it true that the Australian government has allowed this to happen or do you reject that? Perhaps the title is shitty, perhaps it's click-baity, but it's true.

Yes, the government made this happen, they didn't allow it, they created it. I've voted against them, worked in refugee care, and marched and demonstrated against these sorts of laws. So your blanket labelling of all Australians in the title comes across as a bit shit.

FUME5

What does that have to do with what's happening here?

I'm not going to pretend I don't think it's a national disgrace the way we have treated refugees, well, for ever and the fact that it just gets worse is baffling. How the general public can hear stories like these and then continually vote in politicians who continue these practices is incredibly depressing.

Having said that, there is a global refugee crisis occurring, with a lot of fucked up practices adopted by the majority of governments.

You're trying to make this a contest or something

Not at all, but with your parting shot "Australia, you let this happen" you are suggesting that I played some part in this, being an Australian. I vote against, and speak out against, this shit whenever I have the chance or whenever it's brought up.

So yeah, if your country has a spotless human rights record at the moment feel free to take shots, otherwise look to your own backyard.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes, the government made this happen, they didn't allow it, they created it. I've voted against them, worked in refugee care, and marched and demonstrated against these sorts of laws. So your blanket labelling of all Australians in the title comes across as a bit shit.

Not at all, but with your parting shot "Australia, you let this happen" you are suggesting that I played some part in this, being an Australian. I vote against, and speak out against, this shit whenever I have the chance or whenever it's brought up.

So yeah, if your country has a spotless human rights record at the moment feel free to take shots, otherwise look to your own backyard.

I was not saying Australians, I am saying Australia. Maybe at least acknowledge that?

It's sad that opening up conversation about this was attributed to me "trying to take shots." Perhaps lower that national pride a little and acknowledge that yes, your country allowed the horrific situation to just not happening, but also flourish.

Oh, and FUME, I am Indonesian, by the way. Feel free to take shots at my country, I don't particularly care. Hell, most probably I would even agree with your "shots."

EMT0

Banned
What did you want me to say? That I'll go storm the government right now and demand that conditions be improved or the asylum program be totally reassessed and reimplemented?

I can do what I can do in convincing those around me that they're wrong, but damn, man.

The only thing I expected was for people to not immediately jump at any opportunity to distract attention away from Australia's actions, in a thread about Australia's actions. I'm not asking or expecting you to do a thing other than that.

As an Australian it feels disgusting reading this, cant believe the governments actually let this happen.

Offshore detention is disgusting and its amazing how much we spend to hide all this from the public.

Dead Man

I was not saying Australians, I am saying Australia. Maybe at least acknowledge that?

Australia but not Australians. LOL.

Anyway.

The UN has already castigated the government, rightly, and nothing has improved. PNG has ruled that the offshore detention system there is unconstitutional by PNG law, and bugger all response by the Australian government there either.

Seems pretty obvious the OP is commenting on Australia as country and not pointing fingers at individuals.

Not sure why people feel the need to play some silly game of deflection here.

It is...frustratingly difficult trying to change the minds of people here about the treatment of refugees. I still remember the Rudd/Abbott election where both were involved in what was essentially a competition over which party was better at dehumanising refugees.

Dead Man

It is...frustratingly difficult trying to change the minds of people here about the treatment of refugees. I still remember the Rudd/Abbott election where both were involved in what was essentially a competition over which party was better at dehumanising refugees.

Fuck that was depressing. So many people I thought were decent buying into the bullshit. Acting like it was for the good of the refugees.

FUME5

It's sad that opening up conversation about this was attributed to me "trying to take shots." Perhaps lower that national pride a little and acknowledge that yes, your country allowed the horrific situation to just not happening, but also flourish.

Oh, and FUME, I am Indonesian, by the way. Feel free to take shots at my country, I don't particularly care. Hell, I might even agree with your "shots."

Indonesia has adopted a very similar approach if I'm not mistaken, just that there is even less information released to the public.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Australia but not Australians. LOL.

*shrugs*

It's just horrifying that such a modern country sponsored stuff like that.

Seems pretty obvious the OP is commenting on Australia as country and not pointing fingers at individuals.

Yeah.

Indonesia has adopted a very similar approach if I'm not mistaken, just that there is even less information released to the public.

Yeap, feel free to create a thread to discuss that if you wish.

finley83

Banned
Nauru is a completely hollowed out country, both literally and morally. Was a good This American Life episode on it a while back ("The Middle of Nowhere")

EMT0

Banned

I don't see why you're pretending that Australia is a special snowflake removed from both the internet and the world at large, immune to criticism because no one's perfect.

This is awful. Passing a law to make it illegal to talk about the crimes being committed sounds like some kinda dictator level law abuse.

Australia is a wealthy nation and can afford to look after people a bit better.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nauru is a completely hollowed out country, both literally and morally. Was a good This American Life episode on it a while back ("The Middle of Nowhere")

The article touched that a bit.

Nauru is the world’s smallest island state, home to fewer than 10,000 people. Australia supplies aid and buys services from Nauru’s government and companies, leading to accusations Nauru is effectively a “client state”

Basically the Australia government pay a lot of money to Nauru, fundamentally making the whole asylum situation a business deal.

Who and from where are most of the refugees held in these refugee camps? I can't imagine a lot of people from Africa or Middle East, given the vast distances to travel and the big ocean. I assume people who fly in aren't sent to camps, since on the map Naaru is like 2000 miles from Australia.

My wifes best friend is cambodian and she and her family fled to America in the 60s after Vietnam. Her dad and some brothers died in the war, killed by the regime for being intellectuals. Still, her mom took her and her siblings eventually to America over a difficult path, where they were welcomed, and they settled in and are all now quite successful and doing well. Ironically most of her family is completely against allowing Syrian refugees in, for various reasons.

It feels like in the last 10 years attitudes have definitely changed world wide towards refugees. While many are still sympathetic, it feels like a game of musical chairs now, where everyone is hovering over their "stuff" and worried about immigrants/refugees taking a little bit of their stuff and then they won't have enough for their family. While we've seen that sort of attitude in the past, it feels like its at its highest now.

I sort of wonder if maybe there is actually some sort of subconscious machinery at work - can people collectively and unconsciously glean that bad times are coming, and they need to protect themselves? Or is it just worry over resources, how many people there are, how many more people have joined the middle class in the past decade, and the concern that there isn't enough resources left for everyone to have the "good life"?

I don't see why you're pretending that Australia is a special snowflake removed from both the internet and the world at large, immune to criticism because no one's perfect.

Many of us have been fighting for humane treatment of refugees for years. However, even compared to other human rights causes, this is a particularly lonely battle. Support for the detention of refugees is widespread and crosses the political spectrum.

While we rationally know people aren't pointing specifically at us when making judgments about Australia, we, or at least, I, don't feel particularly supported when people just glance at the headlines and type, "lol, fuck Australia." What we need are avowed allies willing to fight in the trenches, not people happy to make a comment or two about Australia and move on, leaving us in our still lonely battle.

Have there been wide protests about this? Disruptive protests that get the attention of the nation and shake them out of their apathy (ala Black Lives Matter)? The UN has condemned Australian policies, but conditions haven't improved on the part of Wilson Security or other organisations handling these asylum centers. Australian government is hard on whistleblowers and wants to keep all of this secret. Are there politicians fighting against these horrific abuses?

Australians in this thread said they're trying to fix it, so I'm wondering what is being done to change this. If you honestly can't handle being guilt-tripped about your country, then that's your problem.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Are there any charities/organisations people can donate to, to help the people who want to put a stop to this?

Instead of saying 'fuck australia', it's better if we can support those groups so they have a bigger say.
Have there been wide protests about this? Disruptive protests that get the attention of the nation and shake them out of their apathy (ala Black Lives Matter)? The UN has condemned Australian policies, but conditions haven't improved on the part of Wilson Security or other organisations handling these asylum centers. Australian government is hard on whistleblowers and wants to keep all of this secret. Are there politicians fighting against these horrific abuses?

Australians in this thread said they're trying to fix it, so I'm wondering what is being done to change this.

You don't need protests, put money in to these groups. That speaks louder than anything. If the Black Lives Matter group had a huge amount of funding, you'd see cops and entire police stations lose their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom