• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: We feel Rise of the Tomb Raider will stand on its own vs Fallout

I've seen their Holiday ad that includes TR, Gears, Halo and Forza during TWD but that's about it really.

Ah, well hopefully they have some slick trailers or commercials. I'd think so since they paid for the exclusivity and etc.

So many games that are good this holiday! EEEEEEEE!!!

qirex

They're completely different games, I don't see a lot of competition between them. I could imagine a minor downward pressure on FO4 for the Xbone for the first week or something but in the long run I don't see them having much effect on each other. Plus if you're launching in the fall you have to pick a week and I'm sure they'd rather this than go up against Uncharted collection, Asscreed, Halo (not that MS would have allowed that) or CoD.

Begaria

We don't know the details of the contract. I highly doubt that SE took a one-time payment for all Xbox-related releases and is not incurring at least partially on the risk of the release, especially given the impact it inevitably has on sales of other platforms.

True, we don't know the details. I'm operating on the assumption that since Microsoft is the publisher for the Xbox platforms, it has to have at least taken some risk off of Square Enix. For TR2013, it was all risk for Square Enix, but at least in this situation Microsoft is possibly taking on some of that risk themselves by publishing two of the four versions coming out. How much risk or money on Microsoft's behalf is the question, a question we probably will never get an answer to.

Considering Microsoft is the publisher for Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 and Xbox One, it'll be Microsoft taking the possible hit on the sales of those particular versions. Square Enix is publishing the PC and PS4 versions. It'll actually be less financial stress on Square Enix.

That's not how it works.
Relatively rhe same expenses as far less consoles plus staggered release never do well.

bunbun777

Could have pushed it to December. Xmas gifts, xmas money, all the trade ins from the big games. But yea it should do OK anyways.

kadotsu

Banned
The Fallout release date will hurt this a lot, since both are Single Player, crafting focused, gun games. Fortunately, if the game is good it will have a second chance soon after on PC. If the cheer-leading is good enough and deserved it might sell good on these secondary platforms.

Well he is kinda right. Both games have a largely separate audience.

It might still bomb but it wont be cause it went against Fallout 4. Or at least, put it this way, I dont think it would do any worse if it wasnt releasing at that time and out in Feb or whenever there is a draught.

Two big titles that they are the driving force behind a good chunk of the marketing for.

Two different types of games with different markets.

Two different life expectancy games (Beth games have a habit of prolonging sales over a period as mods happen and prices decrease).

I think he's 100% correct.

Before Uncharted got delayed I always assumed Tomb Raider would get pushed to 2016 so it didnt get lost in the shuffle... then U4 moved first and Tomb Raider kind of had nowhere else to run.

Anyway the entire Xbox + TR deal seems like something both parties quickly regretted after it was announced.

I will be curious how it performs this yaer but I dont have high hopes.

I want Tomb Raider more than Fallout 4. I buy almost every Bethesda game but I havn't been able to get into a single one of them, I really should stop buying them.

I'm getting TR that day. Never played a Fallout before and everything i've ever heard about Bethesda open world RPG's is they are broken beyond belief at launch. No thanks, i'd rather protect Lara and wait till the patches drop for Fallout.

Well he is kinda right. Both games have a largely separate audience.

It might still bomb but it wont be cause it went against Fallout 4. Or at least, put it this way, I dont think it would do any worse if it wasnt releasing at that time and out in Feb or whenever there is a draught.

That's true, but I feel like their dedicated audiences are greater in numbers on other platforms. This has been a tough year for me, halo, fallout, battlefront, hell, even AC is looking decent. Tomb Raider is a tough sell for me with all the options.

Nheco

I'm no willing to pay Bethesda in order to beta test their games. So, it's Tomb Raider for me and Fallout 4 when the price drops and the bugs are already fixed.

I know that if I had to choose, I'd go with Fallout 4.

Problem is that choice was already made for PS4 only players, who may have chosen differently. But I'm sure they already crunched the numbers and determined the risk was worth it, so I guess we'll see if they were right.

I don't really care about any of Tomb Raider, Star Wars, Call of Duty and Fallout, but if I had to buy one, I'd probably choose Tomb Raider over any of the other (if I had an XBO to play it on)

I'm getting TR that day. Never played a Fallout before and everything i've ever heard about Bethesda open world RPG's is they are broken beyond belief at launch. No thanks, i'd rather protect Lara and wait till the patches drop for Fallout.

This is internet hyperbole. The games are no more "broken" than any other large open world games are.

Whilst I agree they're entirely different games, TR is still going to get smashed by Fallout. I don't really care about Fallout either, I'm getting RotTR day one in fact it's already pre loaded on my console :p

CD/MS probably should've pushed RotTR to early December or like the first week of January.

I think he's right. Tomb raider has it's own fans and i actually put it before Fallout in my wanted list.

And most of those fans are on Playstation and PC, not Xbox, and most of them are seemingly waiting, though obviously some will get it now. Further reason for the subdued hype.

I think it will perform well enough to chart but it won't be incredible in long term sales. Hope I'm wrong because it would be a shame for this rebooted franchise to be dead after two games.

Hopefully it's not but if it's dead that fast they kind of did it to themselves by accepting MS' short-term money at the expense of the franchise's two main fanbases since the beginning of the franchise. I'm curious how those two late launches will do. They need to hope that atleast the reviews are good since they'll all be out by the time those two key versions of the game launch.

Hopefully it's good so I'll feel good about buying it in 2016.

hawk2025

It's worth pointing out, Fallout 4 has already cannibalized Rise of the Tomb Raider, like it or not -- the fact that the Fallout 4 bundle is available everywhere in the US but the Tomb Raider one is only available at Best Buy is surely a decision that depended on the timing of release for the games.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
He's not necessarily wrong in that the markets aren't the exact same, but if people have one game for November, I can't see a whole lot skipping Fallout (not to say there won't be anyone, of course), especially with the limited audience compared to last-gen's reboot.

"We hope they'll buy both" doesn't exactly scream confidence for RotR. Somewhat curious on the how/when of Bethesda telling MS the release date, and how it compares to MS deciding for November 10.

Quite unfortunate for MS (and possibly/probably SE depending on the contract) with the delay of UC4.

edit: Plus, I'd say TR is closer to Fallout in the sense of exploration/shooting/TPS capability, as opposed to CoD/Battlefront/Halo's full-on FPS crowd. Obviously not the same in terms of RPG features, but closer to Fallout than the others.

jamsy

Eh, personally I'm way more interested in Tomb Raider than Fallout 4. Not to say I won't play the latter, but it definitely wouldn't be a priority...

Because we all know how accurate Amazon software charts are. *cough* FF type zero crushed hardline*cough*

Who knows, but those are the only numbers we have access to right now and they are not flattering. A while back one of those retail insiders said the pre-order numbers for ROTR were a bit low too.

Looks like the perfect time for Bethesda to start their "Fallout 4 has more tombs and explorable ruins than Tomb Raider" campaign ;p

their marketing team sounds delusional
feel bad for devs

internally, they know better than any of us, who can only speculate. they're not going to throw it under a bus at this point. I do think we can see it as well as they can that its going up against a ton of massive games that are coming out in a short span of time and spending money is finite, so RotTR might not make the cutoff for most people.

So why didn't they just delay until closer to Xmas? I don't get why they absolutely had to go up against COD, Battlefront or Fallout.

Black Friday. No game that a publisher expects to do big holiday numbers is going to launch AFTER the biggest shopping day of the year.

Just Cause 3 & Rainbow Six are big games, but they'd get absolutely murdered launching against any of those titles. Clearly Microsoft thinks RoTR is a step above.

Personally, I would've just pushed for a Friday release between Fallout & Battlefront. That way the game has at least one weekend in the spotlight.

I wonder if having a launch window with such strong competition was one of the motivating factors for SE to sign the MS timed exlusive? Instead of one launch on all three platforms, they get three quieter launches, two of them against weaker competition + they get exclusivity money/free advertising from MS. That deal seemed really weird to me when I first heard about it, but now that we're in the holiday season I can see how it made sense.

It would have been cool to skip this year and release in Jan or Feb of next year. But I don't know what is coming out then so that might be stupid as well.

iirc that's when the PC version comes out

It would have been cool to skip this year and release in Jan or Feb of next year. But I don't know what is coming out then so that might be stupid as well.

blakep267

Who knows, but those are the only numbers we have access to right now and they are not flattering. A while back one of those retail insiders said the pre-order numbers for ROTR were a bit low too.
True but the thing is, they got it out before Black Friday. That's the one benefit of launching in November. It'll get mixed in with but 1 get one half off deals and people who are buying a new Xbox will likely pick it up because it's a new exclusive if there are deals

sublimit

Banned
He makes it sound as if MS is the only one who makes the calls. I thought the game is still being published by SE.

Vire

I think Fallout isn't going to review as well this time around. Previews haven't been mindblowing and response to the visuals and graphics have been less than inspiring. Combat seems largely unchanged as well and that was one of the larger criticisms in the past.

Don't think it's gonna matter at all though because preorder numbers for Fallout are insanely high.

Top Bottom