• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Sorkin does an op-ed on the Sony Hacking and journalistic character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiko

Banned
Yeah, I don't see any problem with this. No news outlet published personal details of those involved so no actual harm was done. The concept of "journalistic integrity" doesn't matter beyond that.

This company (Sony) is involved in shady business practices and some of those were exposed. That can only be a good thing. An exec was found to be racist and will now be fired over it. In the big scheme, that's a good thing. So what if tabloid-y stuff is being reported along with this? The type of people who like that stuff will read it, the people who don't care, won't. No harm, no foul.

This guy is being so melodramatic. "Oh, no the media violated our privacy and freedom! They're just like the cyber terrorists from NK!! They're doing exactly what they want!!!" No, they're not. Would the argument be different if all this info was leaked from someone within Sony?

MacNille

Banned
Today media is fucking useless and Gawker is one of the main offender.

CQ5qgvu.jpg

Fuck Gawker.

Blackhead

Redarse
I could be wrong, but aren't they sending these stories directly to the news outlets, rather than just dumping everything out in the open for the public to trawl through? IF that's the case, then yeah... I feel like there should be a lot more discretion exercised on the part of the various media outlets. They got this information from a country that's basically a criminal organization with a clear agenda.

If there is some legitimately news-worthy information, then yes, report on it. Like the MPAA and state AGs colluding to target Google, for example. But shit like, "Channing Tatum sent an email asking to be in Ghostbusters!" is the kind of thing that, while maybe interesting, offers nothing of value to the public.

I was under the impression that is what has been happening. It's not news outlets reporting on data that is publically available to everyone, just what has been leaked directly to them. Every article right now about the Sony leaks are nothing more than click bait for these outlets with next to no substance.

I can understand the idea of "fluff piece" as viewers do not want to see nothing but doom and gloom all of the time. It's actually something used in the industry to bring in and keep viewers because it's what they want to see. The big issue now with online outlets is there is never an off button or downtime between the news and a lack of regard between what is actual news and what comes off as nothing but fluff.

I agree with Sorkin and his stance because a lot of this stuff shouldn't be disseminated by those calling themselves journalists. There are tidbits that should be considered news-worthy, but it seems that posting salaries and personal information about employees now falls under that. Idk...maybe we don't care as a society because the NSA supposedly knows all this information anyway and don't care about privacy or it's because we all hate corporations so much, even if they are the ones driving the economy.
No the GOP has been informing the press and security researchers, and anyone who cares to contact them really, about when they are doing data drops and then they have been seeding these data as public torrents (at first they were even using hacked Sony servers as the seedboxes *smh*). The data is out there for any nefarious person.

The press should be at the minimum at least writing about the contents about the data i.e. the metadata. because it's already been revealed that Sony didn't disclose to employees/partners earlier this in February this year when their information was compromised in Brazil. At least this time the Sony USA employees know that all their data is out therr and can try to take some steps to protect themselves and mitigate the damage..

Mononoke

Banned
i think this is 1:1 comparable to the icloud shenanigans. private emails, private photos, it's all private.

Well, I think we can look at which kind of content is more "damaging" (although not really sure why that's relevant and kind of makes people think one is okay because the other is worse). But in yes, in terms of ethics and morals, absolutely it's 1:1. Just because it's work related, doesn't mean it's not private data.

The media willing to publish these are hypocrites and disgusting.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Mostly agree with Sorkin. There are parts of the hack that are newsworthy - the sexual harassment claims. Perhaps the 'bribery' issues. But these genuine issues are overshadowed by shitty private email correspondence and other nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom