• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

Thanks - you've saved me a lot of typing as I agree with everything you've said. It was an ok game but nowhere near my Journey experience.

It's not meant to be Journey, it's meant to be a diving experience.

You get out of it what you put into it. Just enjoy the scenery and watch the fish! It's the soothing underwater atmosphere coupled with the music and soundscape that you are meant to connect with.

The narrative gives you something else to ponder after you have completed the experience.

sn00zer

Thought the game was great. I think the Journey comparisons are fair, but really I think it blew Journey out of the water in terms of art direction in large part due to the tech. The more explicit story hurt it a bit, but really the game is just fucking fantastic.

Really loved it. Really I think its only issue was pacing, which to me is a very minor complaint. The cyclical style of travel-> explore -> rest felt too video-gamey and "predictable". But really it was playable FANTASIA and that pretty much settles any of my qualms.

watdaeff4

Finished this earlier today.

Great game. Since it's being compared so much to Journey (and rightfully so) I will too.....esp since I re-played Journey right before starting this

Enjoyed the gameplay, ambience, setting, etc of ABZU more, though the "story" of Journey had a bigger impact.

Finished this earlier today.

Great game. Since it's being compared so much to Journey (and rightfully so) I will too.....esp since I re-played Journey right before starting this

Enjoyed the gameplay, ambience, setting, etc of ABZU more, though the "story" of Journey had a bigger impact.

Most people say the narrative is their only issue with ABZÛ. I've said this previously, but maybe Giant Squid could add some levels or something in a special edition to expand the scope of the story?

That and add a pitch-black ocean bottom chapter to satisfy those that said the game lacked one :)

It would be creepy to have a chapter like that - where the only light around you are your headlamps and the drones you find.

I can picture the atmosphere of a chapter like that!

watdaeff4

Most people say the narrative is their only issue with ABZÛ. I've said this previously, but maybe Giant Squid could add some levels or something in a special edition to expand the scope of the story?

That and add a pitch-black ocean bottom chapter to satisfy those that said the game lacked one :)

It would be creepy to have a chapter like that - where the only light around you are your headlamps and the drones you find.

Your idea about the ocean bottom is pretty awesome.

Regarding the story/narrative, it wasn't bad by any means. I suspect the people who have a big issue with it are because of the similarities/connection to Journey and went in with expectation of one that deep.

I thought it was fine for what it was.....

Your idea about the ocean bottom is pretty awesome.

Regarding the story/narrative, it wasn't bad by any means. I suspect the people who have a big issue with it are because of the similarities/connection to Journey and went in with expectation of one that deep.

I thought it was fine for what it was.....

Me too.

Regarding the pitch-black ocean bottom chapter, the perfect place to set that would be
after the Atlantis chapter. There could be huge, Prehistoric creatures down there - Megalodons, Mosasaurs, etc., so with that new chapter, you would progress from the very bottom of the ocean - to the very surface in the final chapter. It would be glorious!

taoofjord

Just finished it for the first time... and I'm so sad to say this as someone who has been anticipating Abzu since it was announced. It really just did nothing for me. Journey is an all time favorite of mine and this is obviously a similar experience in so many ways but this just didn't have the soul and weight that Journey had. I could probably analyze why and will likely do so after thinking about it some more but right now it's not any one thing that held it back... it's just the overall direction that doesn't let it rise to the heights of other similar games. That said, the art is very nice, the music is stunning, and I dig the underwater movement. I'll keep thinking on it.

Side note: Inside was going for a very different tone and style but it's also a similar kind of stripped down short story experience. I think Inside, like Journey, really succeeded in what it set out to do is ended up being a short, memorable, fulfilling, and thought provoking experience. I wish I could say the same for Abzu.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Liked the fish and being under water, when was the last time you played a game under water? Swimming with the fish felt like a new experience. Loved the visuals on PC very consistent too.

As an overall game it was just OK. Didn't find the game emotionally connecting as Journey and at times l felt the game had some Journey moments but not as well executed. The game made me realise what a masterpeice journey is. Still worth a play especially if you've not played journey.

I don't get why Giant Squid should add things in another release just to "satisfy" critics; this is their vision, there surely have been reasons behind their choices, and we get to enjoy/discuss the game as it was intended by the devs.

I agree though that the story could have been expanded a little; not much in the sense of having more levels, but having more clues in the actual levels we have (maybe I missed some things, I kinda rushed through the game even if I didn't want to, I went with the flow xD).

But in the end the package has its value, no reasons to change it.

I don't get why Giant Squid should add things in another release just to "satisfy" critics; this is their vision, there surely have been reasons behind their choices, and we get to enjoy/discuss the game as it was intended by the devs.

I agree though that the story could have been expanded a little; not much in the sense of having more levels, but having more clues in the actual levels we have (maybe I missed some things, I kinda rushed through the game even if I didn't want to, I went with the flow xD).

But in the end the package has its value, no reasons to change it.

The only thing I felt it lacked was enormous prehistoric creatures. With the emphasis of the game on sharks and our bond with them, seeing a Megalodon [which if you are unaware, is the original giant ancestor of the shark], would have been a nice touch. Not to mention Blue Whales are considered friendly even though they're huge, but imagine in the pitch-black your lights catching an eyeball the size of a truck tire attached to something that is decidedly not friendly.

I'm just saying they could add extra content to a Collector's Edition or Special Edition - not change their vision.

I'm sure there are levels that they had to cut out for whatever reason that they could put back in and re-work them to add things that not only make the game better, but also expand on the narrative. If they ever do a Collector's Edition/Special Edition, this would only serve to further make the game even more perfect.

As it is now, I love their vision; but if they want to add to it and give us more to do that we haven't seen yet - I'm all for it!

CHC

Man I'm loving this game. But I really can't bring myself to blow through it! I'm savoring it really slowly because it's just so, so relaxing. Keep playing in 45 minute chunks and taking FOREVER to watch all the fish and just float around chilling out. The music is incredible too, it physically relaxes me, I can feel the hairs on my neck just standing up when it hits certain notes.

Kinda going through one area a night at this rate..... As I said, extremely slowly. The only thing I haven't really cared for so far are the parts where you get funneled through the streams really quickly. Visually they are astonishingly gorgeous but I don't like how I feel as though I might miss something. Also not crazy about the doors which cut off the chance to go backwards. Basically I just wish this was a giant connected aquarium with absolutely no traps or one-way doors. But it's hard to consider that a real fault given how great the rest is.

Oh and also those black bars when meditating have GOTTA GO.

shmoglish

What a beauty. Gameplaywise it reminded me of Flower and Journey, but the visuals make this game better. Made so many Screenshots.

A pitch black chapter would need an anglerfish as your buddy who provides you the light.

Lol!

I'd just settle for three drones that you had to find in the void.

Man I'm loving this game. But I really can't bring myself to blow through it! I'm savoring it really slowly because it's just so, so relaxing. Keep playing in 45 minute chunks and taking FOREVER to watch all the fish and just float around chilling out. The music is incredible too, it physically relaxes me, I can feel the hairs on my neck just standing up when it hits certain notes.

Kinda going through one area a night at this rate..... As I said, extremely slowly. The only thing I haven't really cared for so far are the parts where you get funneled through the streams really quickly. Visually they are astonishingly gorgeous but I don't like how I feel as though I might miss something. Also not crazy about the doors which cut off the chance to go backwards. Basically I just wish this was a giant connected aquarium with absolutely no traps or one-way doors. But it's hard to consider that a real fault given how great the rest is.

Oh and also those black bars when meditating have GOTTA GO.

Yeah, I'm sure they know about that issue.

Also, if they did make a Special/Collector's Edition as a physical version, maybe there could be an option to install it that would remove the load times? That's another complaint I've heard recently from my friends; they love the game, but they don't like the 15-20 seconds of down-time between levels. They say it "takes them out of the element/atmosphere".

A physical Collector's/Special Edition of this game could definitely get everyone on board, so to speak ;)

SolidLifts

Neo Member
Found it incredibly boring. The swimming feels worse than games where it's not the main mechanic. You have to hold R2 literally half the game. The mechanics are shallow. It constantly takes control away from you. There's no progression. The sound design is lacking - character doesn't even have footstep sounds on land.

Art direction is the only redeeming quality.

Found it incredibly boring. The swimming feels worse than games where it's not the main mechanic. You have to hold R2 literally half the game. The mechanics are shallow. It constantly takes control away from you. There's no progression. The sound design is lacking - character doesn't even have footstep sounds on land.

Art direction is the only redeeming quality.

Well at least that!

Are you new to video games? ;)

Terrified

Not sure if I've missed someone else also pointing this out (I've only managed to read the last five pages of so of the thread on my morning commute) so apologies if this is old news, but the '
technology/pyramids
' are almost definitely
alien in origin

When you breach in some of the middle levels (can't remember which), have a look around in the sky - you can see
a massive pyramid structure flying in the sky, alongside a trail of other things that look like rocks. It then gets closer as you progress.

At first I thought it was an
asteroid
or something, but as
it gets closer you can definitely see it's the same sort of structure.

spekkeh

Banned
My take on the story:

Ancient (way ancient, dinosaur time?) civilization Atlantis got attacked by pyramidal aliens, so they drowned themselves (? You keep seeing them pour water, but it could also be the special underwater water) and lay dormant until some mythical Savior defeats the alien and resurrects their culture, whom you play as.

I'm probably completely wrong.

I had heard rumors but didn't think they were true!

VPpoUSa.jpg

Ferr986

Not sure if I've missed someone else also pointing this out (I've only managed to read the last five pages of so of the thread on my morning commute) so apologies if this is old news, but the '
technology/pyramids
' are almost definitely
alien in origin

When you breach in some of the middle levels (can't remember which), have a look around in the sky - you can see
a massive pyramid structure flying in the sky, alongside a trail of other things that look like rocks. It then gets closer as you progress.

At first I thought it was an
asteroid
or something, but as
it gets closer you can definitely see it's the same sort of structure.

I think its also the final pyramid from the last chapter, considering you raise the water in that stage.

Just finished it. It's my favorite game of the year so far, though that's an indictment of the year as much as praise for the game.

What? This year has been absolutely loaded not only with many amazing games, but with remarkable variety. No idea how you could be complaining about it.

ironcreed

Banned
I played through it last night. Not as strong as Journey, but a beautiful and relaxing little game in it's own right for sure. I enjoyed it.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm about 30 minutes in and so far it feels like a cheap Journey knockoff. Does it get any better?

Abzu feels more like a beautiful trip through an ancient ocean kingdom with a weird twist. While I felt a bond with the environment and creatures, it still lacked the emotional impact that I get every time I play Journey.

Lol!

Where is that?

Also, have you found
the "Finding Nemo" Easter egg
?
Open area with
the humpback whales and basking shark.
I'm about 30 minutes in and so far it feels like a cheap Journey knockoff. Does it get any better?
It feels closer to Flower than Journey TBH, especially towards the end.

And I really don't see how any aspect of Abzû could be described as "cheap" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

daxy

Find enjoyment in the wealth of details it offers rather than trying to poke holes in it from the perspective of a conservative view of the medium. It's not for everyone though, so YMMV.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hmm, I almost pulled the trigger last night because of those damn screenshots, but I didn't get a single second of enjoyment out of Journey, and the comparisons I'm seeing here are probably a decent warning sign for me.

The only thing I felt it lacked was enormous prehistoric creatures. With the emphasis of the game on sharks and our bond with them, seeing a Megalodon [which if you are unaware, is the original giant ancestor of the shark], would have been a nice touch. Not to mention Blue Whales are considered friendly even though they're huge, but imagine in the pitch-black your lights catching an eyeball the size of a truck tire attached to something that is decidedly not friendly.

I'm just saying they could add extra content to a Collector's Edition or Special Edition - not change their vision.

I'm sure there are levels that they had to cut out for whatever reason that they could put back in and re-work them to add things that not only make the game better, but also expand on the narrative. If they ever do a Collector's Edition/Special Edition, this would only serve to further make the game even more perfect.

As it is now, I love their vision; but if they want to add to it and give us more to do that we haven't seen yet - I'm all for it!

I was waiting for that extra chapter with prehistoric animals. I would love to have seen animals like Megalofon and Mosasurus or even proto whales swimming around.

I was waiting for that extra chapter with prehistoric animals. I would love to have seen animals like Megalofon and Mosasurus or even proto whales swimming around.

Me too. In hindsight, the only thing that disappointed me was that there was no chapter like that. Everything else was amazing, however.

There is always hope!

I'm currently on my third playthrough and I really wish there was a way to get out of the jetstream and explore some of those areas, especially
the town/city towards the end in 'Chapter 6'

Oh well. Fantastic game nonetheless.

Discovered all shells and meditation points on my own. But now that last hidden fish pool. Is there one more hidden than the rest or am I just overlooking it?

Has anyone noticed different things on repeat playthroughs? I noticed
when you first get out of the water to walk on land in Atlantis, there was one tortoise on the ground. On my second playthrough, there were two tortoises, some frogs and birds. I wonder what will be there in a third playthrough? Has anyone seen things like that?

spekkeh

Banned
What? This year has been absolutely loaded not only with many amazing games, but with remarkable variety. No idea how you could be complaining about it.
Just a lot of meh IMO. Uncharted was just good. Ratchet and Clank and Tokyo Mirage Sessions decent, can hardly remember the rest.

Elandyll

Banned
Absolutely love this game, even if for me it falls a tad short of Flower or Journey in "feels" (absolutely gorgeous though).

Gonna replay tonight in fact :)

Should I get this on Steam or PS4?

You want to play this on the biggest screen you can is my advice.

Just a lot of meh IMO. Uncharted was just good. Ratchet and Clank and Tokyo Mirage Sessions decent, can hardly remember the rest.

Uncharted 4 (amazing IMO), Ratchet & Clank (great), Doom (amazing), Overwatch, Far Cry Primal, The Division, Inside, Firewatch, The Witness, Abzu, and more. That's one hell of a first half. Especially considering the first half is generally the quieter half.

This experience is amazing. I hesitate to call it a "game," but who really cares to have the semantics argument. It's a beautiful world to envelop yourself in for a couple hours and a welcome relaxed playtime after a long days work.

Speaking of, I'm currently stuck at work and cannot wait to get home to finish this up. The art style is simply breathtaking. I've decided I have to see this in all its glory. I will be hauling my PC to my parents' place this weekend to run it on ultra 4k on their 4k HDR set. This game might actually sell me on getting into the market for a new TV sooner than later as I had planned...

Also - any word on VR support for this? It would really make the Vive incredibly tempting.

watdaeff4

Has anyone noticed different things on repeat playthroughs? I noticed
when you first get out of the water to walk on land in Atlantis, there was one tortoise on the ground. On my second playthrough, there were two tortoises, some frogs and birds. I wonder what will be there in a third playthrough? Has anyone seen things like that?

Unless I'm mistaken/imagining things......
there were two there on my first playthrough

Ferr986

Just finished my 2nd full playthrough (not counting chapter select for some trophies).

Honestly, enjoyed it even more than the first run. Got to catch some new things and also appreciate some more music tracks.

Gotta love
Atlantis being after the triangle and defeat section. A nice and needed change of pace.

Truth to be told, game give me more feels than Flower
(whale section especially is so amazing).

NahaNago

The game was just okay for me. The art style was pretty good and the overall atmosphere was nice. Its just the gameplay portion, events, and environments were lacking. At first i was expecting a relaxing game of just exploring a beautifully crafted undersea world and then i was a expecting this magical journey but i got neither. I was just expecting too much maybe. I plan to give the game another go at a slower pace this weekend since i kinda felt i was rushing to finish it halfway through.

Top Bottom