• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acclaim's "Red Star" a surprise of the year?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've heard good things about this game, but now I had a chance to try it out. The demo on the new OPM is alone worth the purchase of a magazine. Very interesting, very old-schooly, but a with a decent influx of modern look and feel.

Basically, the gameplay design is a mixture of Final Fight and a SHMUP. You go through the 2.5D levels where you can also walk up/down on the pre-defined track (Much like in Final Fight, but with 3D graphics) You also have the gun with unlimited ammo, but it overheats after too much continuous shooting. At the middle and the end of a level you get to a boss ship which you fight in the manner of SHMUP games. He fires salves of bullets at you which you have to dodge, and to shoot at him when you get a chance.

Again, the whole thing feels like a complete package, has very tight and precise controls, and is visually very pleasing. Visual design reminds me of modern comic books, and is based in some futuristic / communist / post-apocalyptic society. Boss ship that you encounter in the demo have funny/ominous Russian name which I thought was quite amusing and a nice touch. The game runs at very solid 60FPS, btw. Higly recommended for all the fans of simple but high quality oldschool gameplay.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah, it's an excellent take on the top-down shooter. i'll buy it as soon as it's released. it's due in september, i think.

how many levels in the opm demo? the e3 demo only featured one, which was terrific, but a bit of a tease.

evil ways

Acclaim releasing a game that's actually playable, doesn't lock up or freeze and doesn't have bugs & glitches up the wazoo, that'll be the surprise of the year.

Priz

I spoke to the guys behind the comic at WonderCon 2 weeks before E3.

The main guy behind the comic is supposedly hated at Acclaim now because he bitched incessantly at them from the first builds and rode their asses to turn it into something good. I guess if you have a lot of input you can turn a mediocre licensed title (that you own) into something good if you bitch enough.

They did seem pleased with the reviews/comments so far (when I spoke to them). I love the comic and am looking forward to it.

EDIT: Here's a link to some of the pages from the comic, just to give an idea for the art and such. The graphic novels are quite gorgeous and should be checked out at your local comic shop if you get a chance.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hope the game's as awesome as the comic
I had no idea there's a comic, but it all makes perfect sense now :) The visual design of the game is quite strong - you can feel the actual thought went into the universe where it takes place, not only from the look of characters and backgrounds, but also names, and small stuff like that.

Priz said:
I spoke to the guys behind the comic at WonderCon 2 weeks before E3.

The main guy behind the comic is supposedly hated at Acclaim now because he bitched incessantly at them from the first builds and rode their asses to turn it into something good. I guess if you have a lot of input you can turn a mediocre licensed title (that you own) into something good if you bitch enough.

They did seem pleased with the reviews/comments so far (when I spoke to them). I love the comic and am looking forward to it.

LOL, screw Acclaim. Finally they might push out a title that doesn't completely suck, and they're bitching about. Someone should've been riding their asses years ago.

Flynn

belgurdo said:
Hope the game's as awesome as the comic

I'm surprised to hear this. Since seeing the incomplete roughs of the comic at San Diego several years ago I always figured that The Red Star was one of those "lets-make-a-comic-and-shop-it-around-so-we-can-sell-it-as-a-property-to-some-unwitting-movie-or-video-game-developer" comics.

miyuru

Flynn said:
I'm surprised to hear this. Since seeing the incomplete roughs of the comic at San Diego several years ago I always figured that The Red Star was one of those "lets-make-a-comic-and-shop-it-around-so-we-can-sell-it-as-a-property-to-some-unwitting-movie-or-video-game-developer" comics.

Well, Acclaim does work in that situation.

Top Bottom