• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat 8 Could Be in Development

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The source of this rumor is Midori, who is best known as a leaker of Persona news. Midori made a tweet on May 23 claiming that Bandai Namco's next large-scale project would be the Chronicle project. While some fans have been hoping that Bandai Namco is working on the next entry in the popular Tales Of RPG series, when asked for clarification on what the Chronicle project is, Midori simply stated without context, "I think it is Ace Combat 8."

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

gokurho

The source of this rumor is Midori, who is best known as a leaker of Persona news. Midori made a tweet on May 23 claiming that Bandai Namco's next large-scale project would be the Chronicle project. While some fans have been hoping that Bandai Namco is working on the next entry in the popular Tales Of RPG series, when asked for clarification on what the Chronicle project is, Midori simply stated without context, "I think it is Ace Combat 8."

They established a new studio "Bandai Namco Aces" for Ace Combat development :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
People think they are making a spin-off of Ace Combat:messenger_fearful:?

SkylineRKR

Ace Combat 8 will no doubt come. AC7 should be over 5 million by now. 7 is by far the most succesful game.

Less drones, and I could do with perhaps a bit shorter missions. I have to say AC7 was a surprisingly challenging game, which I applauded. It felt like a PS2 era game in good sense.

AC7 was one of the best games of the XONE/PS4 era, the music, scenarios and presentation were all top-notch.

Shame about the game's restrictive nature though which was still rooted in the PS2 era of game design - there's no freedom whatsoever and completing most missions and objectives is basically "do it the way the devs intended or it's game over", something which is even more apparent on higher difficulties when also trying to shoot down the aces.

I understand that it's always been this way but it's something that has to change, everything feels too restrictive and "mechanical" by today's standards.
That mission where you have have to shoot down the missiles exiting the atmosphere while also trying to shoot the aces down still gives me PTSD ffs...

Last edited:
We've known in been in development since 2021, Ace Combat 7 overperformed for Namco so it was an obvious result.

Who knew that making a new game in a long running franchise that, shocker, actually was faithful to the gameplay and world of the games that made the name would do well?

MrRibeye

Would be awesome if they added endless replayable game modes, maybe something with escalating difficulty and some fun modifiers to keep the game alive for a long time beyond the campaign. 🔥

DaGwaphics

In that case, I'm going to need to get started on 7. It's been in the backlog for ages.

Would be awesome if they added endless replayable game modes, maybe something with escalating difficulty and some fun modifiers to keep the game alive for a long time beyond the campaign. 🔥

That sounds like a great concept.

NanaMiku

I wonder when the story will take place. Are they gonna make something post AC3

a47d802856.png

Huh, I thought AC7 had arcade mode. AC5 actually has arcade mode, though it's not endless: https://acecombat.fandom.com/wiki/Arcade_Mode
Project Wingman has something similar to that: https://projectwingman.fandom.com/wiki/Conquest_mode

I love Ace Combat. Glad 7 exists, but they definitely made some questionable choices. Gameplay was fantastic but IFF and doubling down on old mission tropes was disappointing when they could have evolved the series more. I'll be there for 8 nonetheless. Hopefully they do another bonus and pack in a digital version of either Zero or 4 with a purchase of 8, like they did with 5 when you bought 7.

NanaMiku

I love Ace Combat. Glad 7 exists, but they definitely made some questionable choices. Gameplay was fantastic but IFF and doubling down on old mission tropes was disappointing when they could have evolved the series more. I'll be there for 8 nonetheless. Hopefully they do another bonus and pack in a digital version of either Zero or 4 with a purchase of 8, like they did with 5 when you bought 7.
I understand why they make it old style gameplay. They tried to innovate with Assault Horizon, but everyone hated it. They chose to make it similar to the 4, 5, Zero to make sure the fans that the old Ace Combat is back.

Top Bottom