• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aces of the Galaxy and Roogoo coming to the Xbox Live Arcade on June 4, 2008

verio

Aces of the Galaxy is so damn good. I'm really liking the game.

This may be my first purchase since Pacman: CE.

Fragamemnon said:
They could have at least offered a cockpit view with a HUD or something. It still looks good, but yeah it's sort of totally not Aces.

All I wanted was a name that doesn't destroy the legacy of one of Sierra's classic series... but I guess that was too much for them. :(

I have nothing against the game (indeed, as I said, it looks like a lot of fun), but Aces was a serious flight sim series. Not a space arcade shooter series.

FightyF said:
It's just like Mario and Sonic...I don't see what's wrong with that. SuperStarDustHD was also similar in that it didn't have continues...though you could play the levels you did beat.

Actually IIRC, it's just like Star Fox...I don't think it had continues either. I really can't remember since I was a pro at the SNES and N64 one and I rarely died. I had troubles fighting the boss but even then I just paused it and asked GAF (or rather Dave's SEGA Saturn multiplatform board).

If anyone starts an official Aces thread, you should probably add (StarFox in HD) to the title so it gets the attention it deserves.

You're right, there were no continues in Star Fox and Star Fox 64. You also had limited lives -- just three, at the start. There were, however, mid-level checkpoints, and could get extra lives and often did. Still, Star Fox 64 was fairly hardcore, that's certainly true. Run out of lives and get game over in the last level and you're done... back to the beginning it is!

As for Aces of the Galaxy, the review is a bit confusing -- so when you die you start the level over? Do you have limited retries (lives/continues), or not? Or how does it work... all they make clear is that there aren't mid-level checkpoints, but there also aren't any bosses.

Either way, it does look pretty good.

FightyF

Banned
I tried out Roogoo yesterday...I was pretty impressed! The cutesy artstyle is probably going to fool a lot of people...it gets pretty hardcore.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
FightyF said:
I tried out Roogoo yesterday...I was pretty impressed! The cutesy artstyle is probably going to fool a lot of people...it gets pretty hardcore.

This is going to be the great yet unplayed XBLA game of 2008, I just feel it.

the cutesy art style has especially for XBLA been a big warning sign of a terrible game trying to be pushed on the casual market.. I've long had the instant reaction of avoiding anything on XBLA with that kind of art style.

SickBoy

I downloaded Roogoo, it's pretty good, but it wasn't a game I really wanted to spend $10 on. Aces, I enjoyed the demo, but I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it either. Yet.

Aaron

A Black Falcon said:
You're right, there were no continues in Star Fox and Star Fox 64. You also had limited lives -- just three, at the start. There were, however, mid-level checkpoints, and could get extra lives and often did. Still, Star Fox 64 was fairly hardcore, that's certainly true. Run out of lives and get game over in the last level and you're done... back to the beginning it is!
Aces is pretty much this. Some levels at least do have mid-level checkpoints. You can get an extra life on each level if you follow the correct path.

Rlan

Just had a look at the Leaderboards. It looks like Aces isn't doing well at all, The normal board is sub-4,000 people!

If that Chartz is anything to go by (done by a dude who posts here, apparently all done completely seperate from ioi based on MyGamerCard data) RooGoo did even worse.

rostocker

Rlan said:
If that Chartz is anything to go by (done by a dude who posts here, apparently all done completely seperate from ioi based on MyGamerCard data) RooGoo did even worse.
It isn't correct, though. The developers of Mad Tracks stated in an interview, that they sold over 70,000 of Mad Tracks (I think I read that interview at your page, Rlan). Chartz has it listed at around 90,000 units.

edit: ok, after searching through xblah, may be it wasn't Mad Tracks. But I know that I read that somewhere :)

Aaron

Rlan said:
Just had a look at the Leaderboards. It looks like Aces isn't doing well at all, The normal board is sub-4,000 people!

You have to complete a full run of Aces to make the leaderboards, which takes over an hour in one sitting. I'd imagine people bought it, but didn't have the patience to get to the end. The game really, really, really needs a level select.

I tried out Aces last night and I'm going to buy it tonight. I was impressed. Very nice seeing as the game wasn't anywhere on my radar before it was released. I'm going to play Roogoo tonight.

radjago

FightyF said:
Someone explain this to me. All I got from the demo was the art style and the basic mechanics. How does the game get deeper and more challenging? How is the multiplayer handled? I got more of a feel for TiQal from its demo than I did for this game. There's just not enough from the demo, even after reading review, to warrant a purchase.

gkryhewy

I played through the Aces demo last night - was very pleasantly surprised. I may pick it up - it sort of reminds me of the Namco classic Starblade (classic to ME, anyway), although I wish the pacing included a few more breathers to enjoy the scenery.

Gowans

Just got back from a holl quickly downloaded the demos and picked them both up, its been ages since I've done this.

Maybe its the lack of sleep.

Sad to hear there not doing very well, was hoping to get back to seeing more discussion about them. Not even any proper official Shard template threads for either :(

Aces seems fast and frantic, got upto the 3/4th level. Need to work out the whole mix of which weapon to use, just been hammering the gun but had a lot of fun.

Roogoo is just adorable, exactly what I was hoping for, a new and different puzzle game, the art style and controls are perfect. Seems to mirror the quick regonition skills like tetris does but in a totaly new interesting way, I just need to get some Zen going to get into the further stages.

I'll hit them both properly tomorrow after some sleep.

Totally up for mutliplayer in both if anyone hits me up.

Aaron said:
Aces is pretty much this. Some levels at least do have mid-level checkpoints. You can get an extra life on each level if you follow the correct path.

Awesome, I'll definitely look for the PC version... (it's been announced, but isn't out for PC yet)

Gowans

Man Roogoo picks up the pace in chapter two, been starting to fail all over, need to start to stop pacing it.

Damn Butterflys and evil dudes, have spilled so many pieces.

Sean

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
the cutesy art style has especially for XBLA been a big warning sign of a terrible game trying to be pushed on the casual market.. I've long had the instant reaction of avoiding anything on XBLA with that kind of art style.

Maybe you're onto something, Eets Chowdown was another awesome XBLA game (with great reviews) that had cutesy art style and seemed to have flown under the radar for most.

Anyway, try Roogoo!

Gowans

are the Roogoo leaderboards borked???

It can't find my score or any of my friends scores in the game leaderboard but in the Arcade dashboard the friends scores are shown.

Hmmm..

Gowans

im just over half way through Roogoo now and christ the shutters over the wholes have completely stumped me, really struggling with getting past them on this level im on, I need to change my rythm, everytime I arse up it feels like a stupid mistake I shouldn't have made.

right quick break to get MGS4 from the shop

Llyranor

I just finally finished Aces on hard in co-op.

What a fabulous game. Easily my favorite original XBLA title by a huge margin, and overall only potentially surpassed by Ikaruga and Metal Slug 3 for me. Such a fresh co-op experience.

Now, to get 5 stars in every mission. Brilliant game. Everyone try out the demo.

Best ending credits ever.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wait, what's this? Aces of the Galaxy is like Star Fox 64? And it's coming to the PC? Hmmm.... Wait, or buy now?

Llyranor

Yeah, and it's an on-rails shooter with co-op. Fun hectic gameplay, challenging difficulty, solid production values and music, good replayability. Did I mention co-op?

The controls are pretty flawless with the gameplay, I'd say.

Mejilan

Looks like the PC version isn't hitting as a boxed, retail game. Any cross-platform play? Also, it seems to cost $20! That's double the XBLA version, no?

Looks like XBLA is the way to go, then!

Just bought RooGoo after downloading the demo yesterday. Such a smart little game and well worth the money.

At the same time I got a packet load of points for the excellent Braid and Bionic Commando in the coming weeks.

I really didn't like Aces when I played it a few months back. I might give it another chance though.

Mejilan

Pity I waited so long. Aces of the Galaxy is AWESOME. It's like the Star Fox 64 sequel we never got! :D

Mejilan

And awesome credits! :D

Boo. My 360's first crash. Upon trying to exit to the dash from the game's menu.

Top Bottom