• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACIV's Matt Ryan cast as John Constantine for NBC show (Trailer in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q2pLYFD.jpg

Press Release said:
As production begins on the new pilot CONSTANTINE — from executive producers Daniel Cerone & David S. Goyer and director Neil Marshall — NBC, Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment are today releasing the first official image of series star Matt Ryan in character as John Constantine.

“I’ve been a fan of John Constantine since he was first introduced in 1985. This Constantine, envisioned by Neil Marshall and embodied by Matt Ryan, looks like he sprang directly from the comics’ covers. Fans old and new are going to be in for a treat,” said executive producer David S. Goyer.

- CONSTANTINE follows enigmatic and irreverent Liverpool con-man-turned-occult-detective John Constantine, who is reluctantly thrust into the role of defending our world against dark forces from beyond.

- Featured in hundreds of comic book issues, John Constantine has been a DC Comics staple since his first appearance as a supporting character in Swamp Thing in 1985. The character was subsequently featured in his own bestselling Hellblazer and Constantine comic book series.

- UK native Matt Ryan (Layer Cake, The Tudors, Torchwood) stars as the title character.

The CONSTANTINE pilot is executive produced by Daniel Cerone (The Mentalist, Dexter) and David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight films, Man of Steel). Neil Marshall (The Descent, Game of Thrones) is directing from a teleplay by Daniel Cerone, with story by Daniel Cerone & David S. Goyer.

Wiktor

I got exicted when I saw the new pic, then I remembered the show is produced by David S Goyer.

Don;t worry. He's not a showrunner. He acts the way JJ Abrams does with all the shows, he bassicaly provides the hype and helps with launching the show. The actual day to day showrunner will be Daniel Cerone, which was the guy responsible for the incredible first four seasons of Dexter.

Wiktor

isn't it kinda unusual to have a promo picture like that for a pilot? or was it picked up to series? Actually, The Flash had some too so I guess it's not that unusual.

anyway, he looks good at least

It is unusual, extremely so. Most of the time we don't even know pilots are done beyond title. In both those cases it's means the chances of show being greenlight skyrocketed.

Also...love that picture..that trenchcoat, that pose and most of all that asshole smile. Yeah that's John Constantine alright.

DC shows are really killing it with casting recently.

Don;t worry. He's not a showrunner. He acts the way JJ Abrams does with all the shows, he bassicaly provides the hype and helps with launching the show. The actual day to day showrunner will be Daniel Cerone, which was the guy responsible for the incredible first four seasons of Dexter.

Plus (was just talking with Phonciple on twitter about this) Goyer the producer is way different than Goyer the writer. Goyer should just BE a Producer at this point, as he's pretty good at coming up with ideas, just not so great at executing them. There's a reason all the highlights on his writing resume have other people's names on the script next to his.

Essentially - he's like an evolved Akiva Goldsman.

Wiktor

Plus (was just talking with Phonciple on twitter about this) Goyer the producer is way different than Goyer the writer. Goyer should just BE a Producer at this point, as he's pretty good at coming up with ideas, just not so great at executing them. There's a reason all the highlights on his writing resume have other people's names on the script next to his.

Essentially - he's like an evolved Akiva Goldsman.
Yep. Goyer coupled with talented writer produces gold. On his own he produces crap. Anyone making DC adaptations should want Goyer in his camp, if only for his pull among execs and great ideas. Just don't leave him alone.

I did a little bit of cleanup and added some information to the OP. If there's anything major that I missed, please let me know.

obin_gam

I hope they make him chainsmoe. To save grace they can actually make it a plot point about how bad it is for you. Have him constantly cough (sometimes coupgh up blood even) and looking really really tired and crappy. All adds to the character imo :D

Alx

Wow. They did pretty much nail the look.

There's something off, though... I don't know exactly what, but he looks too happy/healthy/sane to be a convincing Constantine. I always thought there was a touch of desperation in the character, having seen things that he shouldn't have.

I'd probably never touch another Hellblazer book if i heard John with the generic scouse accent

I always hear Constantine with a trace of the south Liverpool, Beatles style accent, which you don't even hardly hear in Liverpool anymore nowadays, whenever I've read Hellblazer. Not many scousers in comics, I'm keeping this one :)

Edward Kenway really looks the part, I'm looking forward to this pilot. Despite my jokey comment earlier.

There's something off, though... I don't know exactly what, but he looks too happy/healthy/sane to be a convincing Constantine.

He's not smoking. That's basically it. And there are articles where Goyer admits they're having problems getting that into the show, I think.

Wiktor

So how similar to Supernatural is this going to end up?

Well..Castiel's looks are homage to Constantine.

And how close...hard to say. I think it will go darker, more twisted and sharper. Grimm already is doing things a lot more disturbing than Supernatural ever dared to and that's based on damn fairy tales. With Hellblazer as source material and Cerone as showrunner I expect pretty sick things.

obin_gam

I've never heard anyone every say it like valentine, always constanteen, like the emperor
I think it's mainly an American English v. British English thing (am: "een", brit: "ine") so the movie has that excuse. To a point.

But since the character is british, and he himself proununces it this way...
Hb232b.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
All the smoke in the poster, makes me hopeful they'll include his cigaratte smoking habit.

Definitely looks the part, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I've only read a handful of the Hellblazer books, but the source material itself should be good for a series. Sad about the lack of smoking but eh, that was going to be hard to get away with anyways.

So please be good.

.la1n

All the smoke in the poster, makes me hopeful they'll include his cigaratte smoking habit.

Not sure how well that will go over on basic cable nowadays but it is part of his character so maybe they will figure out something.

obin_gam

Supposedly the plot of the pilot:

The pilot takes place in and around New York City (which I don't think has been known about until now).

When we first find John, we learn he has voluntarily checked himself into a psychiatric clinic. He's haunted by an incident in which he lost a 9-year-old girl to a demon who has dragged her soul to hell. This incident has a
significant impact on his life and it's hat is driving him. He checks himself out of the hosptial after six months to find something sinister is afoot in the realm of the supernatural.

John's a clever wise-ass. His business card reads "Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts," but as he tells his doctor, he should replace "master" with "petty dabbler" because he hates to put on airs. He also doesn't like to talk much about his past; he masks his emotions with wry humor.

We won't see John in his classic trenchcoat right away, but he gets there.
An angel – Manny – has been assigned to John to help ease his soul into damnation. John hates angels.

Liv Parsons, a young woman who works at a rental car facility, gets caught up in John's world when she discovers something is after her. Liv's deceased father, Jasper, knew John and John owes a debt to him.

Papa Midnite – an imposing Cuban man who can dream the future – is ailing when we first find him. He's doing a lot of cocaine because he has to stay awake.

Expect to meet "Chaz," John's driver who is a tall, sensitive, quiet type yet is quite knowledgeable about the supernatural himself.

The pilot is brimming with possessions, ghosts (Liv discovers a way to see the dead) and demons and the story does an adept job at not losing its audience in the mythology. Liv is our conduit to John's world of rituals, pendants, black magic and more and it handles the exposition well.

The foundation is set for a long-lasting partnership between Liv and John. Now that she's aware of the world beyond ours, she wants to use her knowledge to help others. But is John willing to assist her?

Sounds fun!

Platy

It is going to be another
"catholic mythology / exorcist instead of magician"
Costantine =|

The
pantheistic
nature of the comic is one of my favorite points of it =(

out of the upcoming DC shows this will be probably be the best. I have high hopes for flash too but the supporting characters they showed in arrow seemed intolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom