• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Across the Cheersverse

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The Cheersverse refers to 4 shows that spanned from 1983 and is still going today.

1. Cheers (1982-1993):
    • Setting: The show is primarily set in the Cheers bar, a fictional Boston establishment where a diverse group of characters regularly gathers.
    • Main Characters:
      • Sam Malone (Ted Danson): The former professional baseball player turned bartender and owner of Cheers.
      • Diane Chambers (Shelley Long): An intelligent and sophisticated waitress with aspirations in writing and literature.
      • Norm Peterson (George Wendt): A loyal regular customer known for his love of beer and his daily greeting, "Norm!"
      • Cliff Clavin (John Ratzenberger): A postal worker and bar regular known for his long-winded and often inaccurate trivia.
      • Carla Tortelli (Rhea Perlman): A sharp-tongued waitress with a tough exterior and a large, complicated family.
  2. The Tortellis (1987):
    • Setting: The spin-off is set in the same Cheers universe but focuses on Carla Tortelli's ex-husband Nick and his new wife Loretta.
    • Main Characters:
      • Nick Tortelli (Dan Hedaya): Carla's ex-husband, who works as a truck driver.
      • Loretta Tortelli (Jean Kasem): Nick's new wife, who is portrayed as more cultured than her husband.
  3. Wings (1990-1997):
    • Setting: The series is set at Tom Nevers Field, a small airport on the island of Nantucket.
    • Main Characters:
      • Joe Hackett (Tim Daly): A pilot and co-owner of Sandpiper Air, a small airline.
      • Brian Hackett (Steven Weber): Joe's younger brother and co-owner of Sandpiper Air.
      • Helen Chappel (Crystal Bernard): The owner of a lunch counter at the airport.
      • Lowell Mather (Thomas Haden Church): The eccentric mechanic for Sandpiper Air.
    • Connection to Cheers: "Wings" occasionally featured crossover episodes with characters from Cheers, strengthening the ties within the Cheersverse.
  4. Frasier (1993-2004):
    • Setting: The show is set in Seattle and follows Dr. Frasier Crane, who moves there after leaving Boston.
    • Main Characters:
      • Frasier Crane (Kelsey Grammer): A psychiatrist and radio show host who provides comedic relief while navigating his personal and professional life.
      • Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce): Frasier's brother, also a psychiatrist, known for his refined tastes and quirky personality.
      • Martin Crane (John Mahoney): Frasier and Niles' father, a retired police officer with a down-to-earth demeanor.
      • Daphne Moon (Jane Leeves): Martin's English housekeeper with psychic abilities.
    • Connection to Cheers: Frasier Crane was originally introduced as a character in Cheers. The spin-off explores Frasier's life after leaving Boston and maintains connections with the Cheers universe.
    • It has a current season where Frasier tries to reconnect with his son, Frederick, following the death of his father. It's pretty good!
I think the only show that is hard to access now is The Tortellis, which from what I've heard we're not missing much. But Cheers, Frasier and Wings are all still very much enjoyable. I think Cheers is probably the most influential, but Frasier is the most acclaimed. I don't know which one I love more. I kind of like the gritty Bostonian feel of Cheers, but the mix of intellectual humor and slapstick in Frasier is wonderful. Both of great casts, and Kelsey Grammar is dope AF.

Best Cheers character: Coach (RIP)
Best Frasier character: Roz
Best Wings character: Helen.

Also, Cheers has the greatest opening in TV history.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
My kids to this day repeat my favorite Norm quote. Norm walks into the bar. Woody says, how’s it going Mr Peterson? Norm says, Well Woody, it’s a dog eat dog world and I’m wearing milkbone underwear. 🤣

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

I love Cheers, but had no idea that Wings was a part of it. I need to go back and check it out.
There are two episodes in particular you should watch, as they have Cheers characters on them.

1 - Planes, Trains and Visiting Cranes (from season 3)
2 - I love Brian (also from Season 3).

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
There are two episodes in particular you should watch, as they have Cheers characters on them.

1 - Planes, Trains and Visiting Cranes (from season 3)
2 - I love Brian (also from Season 3).

There are multiple Frasier episodes with Lilith. And Diane has also been on Frasier a few times. Plus Sam and Woody. (I've been revisiting all Frasier episodes sequentially, I'm now up to season 9)

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

There are multiple Frasier episodes with Lilith. And Diane has also been on Frasier a few times. Plus Sam and Woody. (I've been revisiting all Frasier episodes sequentially, I'm now up to season 9)
Yup. One of my favorite Frasier episodes has Diane

StueyDuck

I enjoyed wings alot, haven't watched it in donkeys years though (unlike both frasier and cheers which i've rewatched lately)

i had no idea they were even remotely connected in even the slightest way, even if it is just cross promotion cameos.

I know modern day people love their prestige TV but we lose the charm of these sorts of elements found in older tv shows. I'll take a fringe or a Chuck any day over a new modern mega budget CGI TV show. Except severance, still currently one of my top TV shows of all time, if they can nail more seasons going forward it will remain there.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
  1. The Tortellis (1987):
  2. Wings
I don't know if these made it across the Atlantic, I don't think I've ever heard of them.

I just started Cheers a couple days ago. Fourteen episodes in.
I just recently watched all of Cheers and Frasier. I think Frasier is the better show. Cheers has some great episodes, but it's a fair bit more uneven overall, IMO. I think the writing in some of the Sam and Diane episodes really makes you understand why Cheers became such a hit.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I just recently watched all of Cheers and Frasier. I think Frasier is the better show. Cheers has some great episodes, but it's a fair bit more uneven overall, IMO. I think the writing in some of the Sam and Diane episodes really makes you understand why Cheers became such a hit.
Right now I'd say it's no Seinfeld, but I know not to judge a sitcom by its first season. I'll definitely get to Frasier.

NecrosaroIII

I enjoyed wings alot, haven't watched it in donkeys years though (unlike both frasier and cheers which i've rewatched lately)

i had no idea they were even remotely connected in even the slightest way, even if it is just cross promotion cameos.

I know modern day people love their prestige TV but we lose the charm of these sorts of elements found in older tv shows. I'll take a fringe or a Chuck any day over a new modern mega budget CGI TV show. Except severance, still currently one of my top TV shows of all time, if they can nail more seasons going forward it will remain there.
Yeah, there is a beauty in the simplicity of these shows. They're very unassuming.

NecrosaroIII

Another Wings / Cheers crossover episode worth checking out. Season 2, episode 1 - The Story of Joe. Cliffy and Norm head over to Nantucket

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
An update on my Cheers: I hate Diane. She's so annoying. There's no chemistry between her and Sam, I don't know why the show is forcing this, it's unbearable.

NecrosaroIII

An update on my Cheers: I hate Diane. She's so annoying. There's no chemistry between her and Sam, I don't know why the show is forcing this, it's unbearable.
That's the point lol. People in the 80s missed that her and Sam are absolutely toxic for each other. Their relationship is 1000% toxic. The show beats you up over the fact that they absolutely not supposed to be together. It's like two magnets repulsing each other. And that is where the humor is supposed to come from. The tension of these two characters that hate each other trying to force themselves to be together.

Also - it's pretty telling that none of the other characters like her except maybe Woody, who gets along with everyone. In Frasier, she's used as a symbol of trauma he's had with past relationships.

That said, I think there is a certain "cuteness" to Shelly Long. I like how expressive she is. But yes, her holier-than-thou attitude is supposed to be unlikeable. This is most typified by the fact she greets Norm as "Norman".

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
That's the point lol. People in the 80s missed that her and Sam are absolutely toxic for each other. Their relationship is 1000% toxic. The show beats you up over the fact that they absolutely not supposed to be together. It's like two magnets repulsing each other. And that is where the humor is supposed to come from. The tension of these two characters that hate each other trying to force themselves to be together.

Also - it's pretty telling that none of the other characters like her except maybe Woody, who gets along with everyone. In Frasier, she's used as a symbol of trauma he's had with past relationships.

That said, I think there is a certain "cuteness" to Shelly Long. I like how expressive she is. But yes, her holier-than-thou attitude is supposed to be unlikeable. This is most typified by the fact she greets Norm as "Norman".
I just find it annoying! Doesn't matter if that's the point, it sure makes the show less enjoyable to watch. Her presence in the show is so dominating too. The best scenes are the ones without any input from her. I like Coach, Cliff, and Norm a lot. Coach misinterprets everything he hears like he's straight out of Police Squad.

NecrosaroIII

I just find it annoying! Doesn't matter if that's the point, it sure makes the show less enjoyable to watch. Her presence in the show is so dominating too. The best scenes are the ones without any input from her. I like Coach, Cliff, and Norm a lot. Coach misinterprets everything he hears like he's straight out of Police Squad.
My wife is on the same page as you. She enjoys Cheers, but she can't stand Diane. Season 2, they start to focus on the other characters more... but Diane remains a central character until she departs at the end of Season 5. But for what it's worth, I think she has better storylines especially once Frasier gets introduced.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
My wife is on the same page as you. She enjoys Cheers, but she can't stand Diane. Season 2, they start to focus on the other characters more... but Diane remains a central character until she departs at the end of Season 5. But for what it's worth, I think she has better storylines especially once Frasier gets introduced.
I was hoping for this type of reassurance.

Originally got into this as a kid when they were showing the reruns on Nick at Nite in the early 2000s. Still my favorite show ever with Twin Peaks (which Cheers apparently helped kill in the TV ratings) being a very close #2.

I tried Frasier out and didn't get more than a few episodes in. It's not bad but Kelsey Grammar plays the character a bit differently and something about it just isn't catching me.

NecrosaroIII

Originally got into this as a kid when they were showing the reruns on Nick at Nite in the early 2000s. Still my favorite show ever with Twin Peaks (which Cheers apparently helped kill in the TV ratings) being a very close #2.

I tried Frasier out and didn't get more than a few episodes in. It's not bad but Kelsey Grammar plays the character a bit differently and something about it just isn't catching me.
Give Frasier a another shot. It's fantastic once it starts rolling. And there are some great cheers callbacks throughout

LordCBH

Frasier is one of my favorite shows of all time. My dad loves Cheers but I’ve never watched it. Keep meaning to though.

Top Bottom