• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Active shooter incident' reported at Tennessee naval center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking on CNN

Mayors Twitter

Live Coverage

No longer an active shooter situation. This is being treated as an act of domestic terrorism.

Shooter identified as Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez

This is a fluid situation, things are going to change with conflicting information and reports

Roads are closed down, people heard gunshots.

Local community college is under lockdown. This is not the site of the shooting, it's simply precaution for the shooting itself

Chattanooga seems to be the town. Will update the thread as more news breaks.

11:50 EST: CNN is currently talking to someone who saw the shooting. Somebody was on top of a silver Mustang was popping off shots in "rapid" succession, described it as "hight powered assault rifle". Witness says the man drove off, car had zero tags on it. She also said someone was shot in the leg, but no report on that persons condition.

12:15 EST: Mayor told CNN that, "An officer is down". Will update on what that even means

12:30 EST: Reuters is reporting "Shooting in MULTIPLE locations"
CNN is also reporting, "Navy investigating shooting at second building."

12:40 EST: Lee University under lockdown as well. No shootings reported here, just safety measures.

12:50 EST:
CBS News ‏@CBSNews 9m9 minutes ago

UPDATE: 4 Marines, 1 police officer shot at military recruiting center in Chattanooga, TN http://cbsn.ws/1K9mzsr

Conflicting with CNN reports of a single officer down.

1:00 EST: Tennessee emergency management agency requests a temporary flight restriction over Chattanooga Update: No more flight restriction

1:10 EST: CNN reporting on conflicting information. Getaway vehicle could be a possible black BMW, saying zero military personal were wounded.

1:20 EST:
WDEF News 12
‏@wdefnews12

#Breaking #Chattanooga
CBS REPORTS: Shooter in Chatt is dead, multiple law enforcement sources

Streaming at http://WDEF.com

https://twitter.com/Drew_BolleaNC9/status/621728744533815296

BREAKING: this is NO LONGER an active shooter situation per CPD

CNN reporting active shooter situation is over. Police just tweeted it.

2:20 EST: Fox News is quoting local news that four marines have died. CNN is reporting the shooter is dead.

2:40 EST: CNN reporting, "Chattanooga official: 3 Killed, 3 hurt in shooting". The shooter is dead, he is the fourth person dead. Four dead including the shooter

HUELEN10

Reuters Top News
2m2 minutes ago
Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters
BREAKING: Shooting at multiple locations in Chattanooga, Tennessee State Police say.

dabig2

Man, these random shootings is really out of control. Are we ever going to be able to fix this problem?

Yeah, when all the older generations are dead and out of power -including Millennials. We're too far deep into it and ingrained, but I have hope for future generations down the line to fix our nonsense.

dabig2

Sigh. Here comes the mental illness excuse again.

Don't you know, every other 1st world country (and a few 3rd world) have excellent mental health care which is why America remains the only country where this shit happens on the regular.

HUELEN10

Can somebody tell me how to embed tweets? Lots of breaking stuff right now and I want to update the OP

Just screenshot.

ATM, according to the live coverage link, areas have been quarantined and sealed by police with no one allowed to lave.

Silver mustang is suspect's car.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Here's the cycle of reporting and discussion:

* Mental Illness
* VA not doing enough for our troops
* It's not a fully automatic gun you don't know what you're talking about
* ISIS
* Immigrants
* Maybe if a citizen had been armed

* Maybe we DO have a problem with guns?
* Sweden has more gun deaths per capita if you include sheep and grass
* Let's do nothing at all

entremet

If this is a Naval Base any gun control arguments are a bit null, though.

It's a military base. They're guns everywhere.

KingGondo

Banned
Don't you know, every other 1st world country (and a few 3rd world) have excellent mental health care which is why America remains the only country where this shit happens on the regular.
We have no excuses besides a lack of political will on gun control.

I agree. I think these two issues go hand in hand.

Wait, is this pointed at me?
Crying about mental illness is the right's favorite way to deflect from the real solution that will actually save lives.

Also, I have yet to hear a cogent proposal about how we would prevent the mentally ill from getting guns.

painey

Here's the cycle of reporting and discussion:

* Mental Illness
* VA not doing enough for our troops
* It's not a fully automatic gun you don't know what you're talking about
* ISIS
* Immigrants
* Maybe if a citizen had been armed

* Maybe we DO have a problem with guns?
* Sweden has more gun deaths per capita if you include sheep and grass
* Let's do nothing at all

you're missing: ban a flag