• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision being sued over 'Mara', movie writer claims character is stolen

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Fbh Fbh : Yeah looking closer I think you are right

BRZBlue BRZBlue : Captain America likely has a bunch of copyrights.

I'm not saying the guy has zero case; maybe they took it too far.. but a model doing multiple similar "tough girl" characters is not in general copyright infringement.

How many movies does Michelle Rodrigues show up wearing a tank top showing off her tiddies and some dog tags playing a tough military girl?

The picture they might have actually COPIED is one thing.. but beyond that, the general idea is not likely something infringing. Even if they got the same makeup artist; you think actresses don't have makeup artists they bring along for different movies? Even if Activision requested it, I doubt that matters. This has too many ramifications (beyond the actual photo they may have copied.)

Reactions: Fbh

A.Romero

What a dumb lawsuit.

Not even Konami was sued by Kojima's blatant use of actor's images.

I mean, come on. I bet there are many characters that would be susceptible to be compared in the same way to real counterparts. For example Tekken's Law.

apowhungo

No, they hired the same model.. who partly sells herself as a hot gun lady.
it's the exact same picture...
The picture they might have actually COPIED is one thing.. but beyond that, the general idea is not likely something infringing.
using his work to market their game... he's gonna be able to prove this isn't just a general idea anymore.
activision will settle so we'll have no idea how much he gets.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

The only reason that guy even has a character is because Alex is hot. If he had another model it would have been just another obscure unknown photoshoot. He essentially wants credit for discovering Alex.

The only grounds he has is where they did reuse his picture for some promo stuff. Might be enough to get some kind of settlement.

Top Bottom