• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard loses 1.5 Billion $ Market Cap valuation since launch of Destiny

SgtCobra

Being the best selling new IP OF ALL TIME isn't enough!?
kanyePoses.png
Clearly it isn't.

Activision Blizzard should just sell the Spider Man rights back to Disney at this point.
And cut off their TV division.

It'll be interesting to see where Destiny's sales will end up by January. If it ends up having decent enough legs to carry it through the rest of this shipment and another large one for the holidays, then I think investors will come back. Though I think I've read that COD and Skylanders preorders aren't tracking as well as their previous versions.

In NPD data, Skylanders 2013 is a cumulative -17% launch-to-date from Skylanders 2012, and Call of Duty: Ghosts is a cumulative -30% launch-to-date from Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see CoD and Skylanders decline even further this year.

Did those investors forget that CoD is coming out this year and the groundswell around this one actually feels positive unlike Ghosts?

I mean sure Destiny isn't CoD: BLOPs2 level money, but its still gonna bring in a ton of cash.

Dude, it was already priced in. If anything, fall in share price indicate that they had overestimated the impact Destiny would have (mostly due to lukewarm critical reception, and no doubt bad word of mouth which will impact Destiny's legs).

i'm a finance nut and i don't give a fuck about this. this is a market over reaction. Fucking full time day traders are scum of the earth...no offense to anyone who is a full time day trader. they read articles to get the gist of whether its good new or bad news, then sell or buy.

IF you were really a finance nut, you would now investor overreacting when things don't meet expectation is normal.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Welcome to today's video game industry.

It's like if a baseball team could only score on home runs, and it didn't matter how else you crossed home plate.

Empty

i'd imagine the more tepid reaction than predicted would lead to fears about lower than expected dlc sales down the road. if people don't love it, they're more likely to move onto the next game.

Ooccoo

Hopefully it sends a message to Bungie and ATVI because Destiny is shit, even moreso considering its monstrous budget. I absolutely can't believe this is it. When the last mission ended I was like "WTF did I buy?" There are dozens of game design atrocities in this game yet some reviewers gave it near perfect scores. 60% is what this game is, I'm sorry fans, oh and please give us more money to unlock fun guys.

AmuroChan

Did those investors forget that CoD is coming out this year and the groundswell around this one actually feels positive unlike Ghosts?

I mean sure Destiny isn't CoD: BLOPs2 level money, but its still gonna bring in a ton of cash.

A lot of them are just short-term investors or day traders who saw that the stock hit an all-time high and decided to sell and cash in. They don't care about the industry or the company itself. It's all about quick profit.

Omega

Banned
They still have Call of Duty to come out later this year, I dunno looks like a end of the quarter sell off by investors.

calladutys preorders are terrible

it's why at the last minute they attached a preorder bonus skin to Destiny and why they have day zero edition

AHA-Lambda

Not when you boast yourself to be the biggest thing since sliced bread and don't deliver. Not when hundreds of millions worth of stock is sitting on shelves still.

Not when they have expectations like "the next billion dollar franchise" "$500m budget" and "10 year plan"

uhhh, which is why i said i don't give a fuck about this.

Why are you making it about you? Do you have any stake in it? I mean what is that statement suppose to mean?

This topic is about how they rightfully acted not what you think or feel about how they acted.

Kill3r7

A lot of them are just short-term investors or day traders who saw that the stock hit an all-time high and decided to sell and cash in. They don't care about the industry or the company itself. It's all about quick profit.

This.

If you look at the chart you'll see people bought the stock bank in June/July in hopes of riding the Destiny wave with no intent on keeping it long term. Now they can jump back and and ride the COD wave.

MwFuPkj.png

Yeah I guess that does makes sense. I mean buy low sell high and their stock is high.

Just seems like odd timing since CoD is still on the way and will affect the price as well. Course its all a bet in the end, the price could drop after CoD releases and those investors will have missed the wagon.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah I guess that does makes sense. I mean buy low sell high and their stock is high.

Just seems like odd timing since CoD is still on the way and will affect the price as well. Course its all a bet in the end, the price could drop after CoD releases and those investors will have missed the wagon.

Spoiler: It'll go back up. Then back down. Repeat.

Demoehere

Banned
I wonder how much it cost to hire Dinklebot? I agree it just seems stupid how ballooned some AAA budgets get, Hey let's hire that famous actor from that hit TV show!.. even though his voice acting sucks this will get the mainstream hyped for the game! Budgets are almost used as a selling point by themselves like the movie industry.

Duxxy3

Welcome to today's video game industry.

It's like if a baseball team could only score on home runs, and it didn't matter how else you crossed home plate.

It applies to every publicly traded company. Investors want growth, growth and more growth. When they think a stock has hit its peak, even just for a short time period, they will jump out.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Being successful and making lots of money isn't good enough for Wall Street. You have to increase your rate of success. Your company needs to be accelerating, not merely growing. Yeah, it's stupid.

AmuroChan

It's actually not odd at all. Savvy investors saw the mediocre reviews, knew the market would overreact, and cashed out. A lot of them will buy back in at a lower price point for the inevitable rebound and with COD coming. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but this is where you play the probability game.

Top Bottom