• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard purchases King.com (Candy Crush Saga) for $5.9 billion

Rembrandt

Banned
If I was going to drop big monies on any mobile dev it would be SuperCell. King just feels like a Rovio or a Zynga.

Supercell's bubble is bound to burst before King's.

People bring up the similarity between titles, but isn't that a good sign if they can make Candy Crush, Pet Rescue, Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch Saga and all of their sequels insanely popular throughout the years and the constant stream of mobile titles? They've kind of established themselves as the mobile game company with the mobile game franchise(s).

I mean, they had to have haggled, right?

I just can't wrap my brain around this. Rip off a phone game, make enough to hire the hungriest lawyers possible, make more money than god, then sell for twice as much as god's worth.

This is like some monkey paw shit

Jenotron

Banned
This reminds me of when Murdoch bought MySpace. Somewhere theres a bunch of accountants who believe its good business decision because they believe growth will continue forever. No one will ever get tired of playing or that something new can come along tomorrow for people to play instead.

This seems like way too much money. I really can't see how Activision are going to make this money back unless they release a shit load of profitable phone titles.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm sure this makes sense to someone. It's probably not a boondoggle or a rope-a-dope. Still I can't rule-out someone being hoodwinked here. Seems like one of those cases where someone grants someone a presidential payday as they jump out the plane in their golden parachute. I'm being to negative. This company is solid and should workout real well for EA like Zanga did.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So after the inevitable Candy Crush Saga bubble burst i have already found Blizzcon 2016's venue.

41kMr2XoFSL.jpg

But seriously, does KING have the recipe to turn Tony Hawk/Guitar Hero copies into gold?

5.9B! Are you out of your fucking mind for a 1 hit wonder.

1.) Candy Crush Saga
2.) Candy Crush Soda Saga
3.) Farm Heroes Saga
4.) Pet Rescue Saga
5.) Bubble Witch 2 Saga
6.) Paradise Bay

It's a few more than one.

They couldn't even bargain like 10% of this in order to make THPS5 the game the franchise deserves?

I know it doesn't work like that but it fucking should.

Renekton

Seems like a bad buy imo.

With the recent Zynga and Rovio news, admittedly I am already predisposed to regard mobile acquisitions as buying bubbles at peak IP value.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't Candy Crush like by far their biggest game tho and the rest is like small in comparison.

Candy Crush is only 38% of their revenue: http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/14/candy-crush-saga-maker-king-beats-wall-streets-expectations/

King said that non-Candy Crush Saga revenue was $375 million, or 62 percent of total gross bookings of $604.5 million. Three King games were in the top 10-grossing games list on both Android and Apple. It also launched localized versions of Candy Crush Soda Saga in Japan, South Korea, and China during the quarter. King also launched its first word game, AlphaBetty Saga, in nine languages during April.

King have a very advanced data analytics platform which tracks an insane amount user interaction and choice (billions of data points a day). It allows them to fine tweak their games to maximise revenue (Identify users who stopped playing for a couple of weeks and offer them discounts on IAPs is a very basic example).
I'm sure Activistion would love to get their head around that level of market intelligence.

post-S

Supercell's bubble is bound to burst before King's.

People bring up the similarity between titles, but isn't that a good sign if they can make Candy Crush, Pet Rescue, Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch Saga and all of their sequels insanely popular throughout the years and the constant stream of mobile titles? They've kind of established themselves as the mobile game company with the mobile game franchise(s).
Can you explain why? I feel like each Supercell game is actually different and is catering a different demographic while King's output are simply candy crush with different theme.( didn't really pay much attention for their output for a few years tho, so correct me if I'm wrong)
I think they are gong to fall the way Rovio did once series fatigue has caught up

xenist

King have a very advanced data analytics platform which tracks an insane amount user interaction and choice (billions of data points a day). It allows them to fine tweak their games to maximise revenue (Identify users who stopped playing for a couple of weeks and offer them discounts on IAPs is a very basic example).
I'm sure Activistion would love to get their head around that level of market intelligence.

Yeah, I bet that something like that played a huge part in the deal.

Otherwise I cannot fathom how Activision could expect an actual return from such a huge investment.

xch1n

I'm genuinely surprised that BusinessGAF took 9 pages to explain that this acquisition is not about IP or a single or handful of games - but ongoing, paying users. Activision didn't just buy games, it bought eyeballs. Eyeballs it didn't have before. And to large corporations, those are very, very valuable.

hmm this is very interesting. I guess Acti wants to implement this system for probably all their games including consoles and PC. Would be interesting none the less.

Rembrandt

Banned
Can you explain why? I feel like each Supercell game is actually different and is catering a different demographic while King's output are simply candy crush with different theme.( didn't really pay much attention for their output for a few years tho, so correct me if I'm wrong)
I think they are gong to fall the way Rovio did once series fatigue has caught up

King's output varies some. Bubble Witch Saga isn't similar to Candy Crush. Pet Rescue Saga has different mechanics to separate itself as does Farm Heroes Saga. They're different while still be similar enough to attract fans of one title, imo. I honestly don't think they'll reach series fatigue anytime soon. Their games are too simple, too easy to pick up to play and too mindless. the way they generate money is different than supercell's stuff; they're not trying to be deep with their games. while supercell's stuff will appeal to people looking for something deeper in mobile and will attract people that will drop lots of money at once, they're not going to attract a casual, consistent fanbase like king.

the people that are playing candy crush aren't worried about series fatigue, if they were, king wouldn't put out tons of new levels consistently for three years (there's 1000+ levels currently).

kiuo

Woah, didn't expect this. That's more than what Microsoft bought mine craft for...didnt think candy crush is still that popular

I'm genuinely surprised that BusinessGAF took 9 pages to explain that this acquisition is not about IP or a single or handful of games - but ongoing, paying users. Activision didn't just buy games, it bought eyeballs. Eyeballs it didn't have before. And to large corporations, those are very, very valuable.
You'd think with how many financial analysts and top-tier business people that are apparently in this thread, more people would understand this.

I wonder why not...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
George Lucas am cry

wat

He intentionally sold it for a lot less than he could have.

Besides, he's still making money from Disney. He sold them the companies/IP but kept all the land and real estate - so Disney's leasing office space from him for the companies they bought.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
As per King's latest earning report, they have 500 million active users. This is what Activision was after.

KingBroly

Banned
wat

He intentionally sold it for a lot less than he could have.

Besides, he's still making money from Disney. He sold them the companies/IP but kept all the land and real estate - so Disney's leasing office space from him for the companies they bought.

He gave all of the money to charity and I think got a spot on Disney's BoD.

Alo0oy

Banned
Maybe a sign that the Call of Duty bubble is seriously about to burst.

That huge flow of money has to come from somewhere. COD might be on its last leg when it comes to being Activision's workhorse.

King's games could easily replace that revenue.

CoD is still the biggest earner annually in entertainment, they just want to expand further.

You'd think with how many financial analysts and top-tier business people that are apparently in this thread, more people would understand this.

I wonder why not...

I think the sticker price is initally so shocking. People immediately equate the sales with Star Wars and Minecraft and see no value.

But yeah the more you analyse it, it makes sense for Activision to get into the mobile space riding off Kings properties that have hundreds of millions of views and players every single day. That's a massive additional revenue stream and opportunity for growth.

Odrion

Banned
I'm happy with this deal because we'll look back and enjoy sweet schadenfreude when they eventually go bust lol.

Nah, Activision is one of the smarter companies in the industry. For an acquisition this big they must be extremely confident ie know more than we do.

Why?

The hype is already over unless they saw something that would be bigger then CCS in the future I don't get the value for it :O

CCS is doing well but not as well has it has been just angry birds etc.

dickroach

That's a lot of money for one developer. Perhaps Activision knows something that we don't.

I honestly think they're just banking on Candy Crush sustaining it's popularity for the next ~4+ years, which I think is insane and will literally ruin Activision.
I dunno, we'll see.

Top Bottom