• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Officially Unveils Skylanders SuperChargers

Also they uploaded an FAQ detailing some answers to questions on their website, here it is:

FAQ:
Q. THERE ARE VEHICLES IN SKYLANDS? TELL ME MORE!
A. Explore Skylands like never before using a fleet of powerful vehicles to drive, sail or fly across Land, Sea and Sky. Upgrade your vehicles by customizing them with awesome new mods.
-
Q. DO YOU SPEND THE ENTIRE GAME IN VEHICLES?
A. Not entirely. Vehicle play is mixed with classic Skylanders game experiences: On-foot exploration, combat, puzzles and mini-games. Also, be on the lookout for a few surprises!
-
Q. WHAT MAKES EACH VEHICLE CLASS AWESOME?
A. Each vehicle class has its own powers. You’ll want all three types to experience the huge amount of gameplay variety throughout all levels – including aerial dogfights, wicked land combat, exploring deep seas, riding surf and waves, and more!
-
Q. WHAT EXACTLY IS A SUPERCHARGER SKYLANDER?
A. SuperCharger Skylanders are elite heroes specially trained to pilot the most powerful vehicles in Skylands. Match SuperChargers with their unique signature vehicle to unleash the ULTIMATE experience.
-
Q. HOW MANY CHARACTERS ARE IN THE NEW GAME?
A. There are 20 Skylanders and 20 Vehicles to collect. Each will have unique powers and abilities that will DRIVE EVIL CRAZY!
-
Q: WILL MY PREVIOUS SKYLANDERS WORK WITH THE NEW GAME?
A: Yes, all the Skylanders in your collection are playable in this new game! And they can drive, pilot and steer all Land, Sky and Sea vehicles in Skylanders® SuperChargers.

Lan_97

I was hoping they would do something a bit more interesting with traps, like introducing some sort of capturable helper creatures that just tag along.

Otherwise, this is looking like fun entry in the series. I really liked SwapForce and I'm looking forward to see what VV will bring with SuperChargers.

Scribble

I can't completely get into these games due to the endless cutscenes and chatterbox dialogue sequences, some of which are unskippable. PLEASE let me enjoy your games.

Amneisac

I can't completely get into these games due to the endless cutscenes and chatterbox dialogue sequences, some of which are unskippable. PLEASE let me enjoy your games.

I still play and enjoy them, but this is 100% my biggest complaint as well.

A lot of people sleep on the Skylanders game, but they're a very enjoyable ARPG-lite.

Wait, what? They're still releasing games for the Wii?
For Skylanders, the Wii version has been the best selling version of the game since it came out. I think they don't want to release it for Wii personally (they offered a free upgrade to Wii U with the last one) but the money is there. I think its generally assumed from the fan base that the Wii version is pretty much the shittiest version and a terrible port, and also holding back new features for the better consoles

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn with DI 3.0 and Sky releasing roughly a month apart my wallet am cry.

My kids better appreciate the struggle. LoL

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

in Trap team they are skippable, aren't they? maybe not every single one, but the vast majority. it was a good imrpovement over the previous titles.

Not looking forward to get yet another version of Stealth Elf in the starter pack. How many do I need of the same character.

Will wait for a black friday 50% off sale like every year. 20 superchargers seems like a ton, wonder how many you would need to buy to reach 100%. The last skylanders game felt like a money grab by making you get all 10 elements and trap masters for each.

Edit: Wow, there is a digital version. Interesting! Would love to go digital and just get some instant characters in game versus needing to buy the toys. Less physicial stuff in the house. Will need more details on how exactly it works. If you can finish the whole game, I'm up for it.

Very excited for that game and was fortunate enough to get an on camera interview with Guha Bala over at FamilyGamerTV (YouTube). Not linking as that would be lame. If folks have any questions about the game, I can try and answer them.

Slermy

Another new portal?? And it doesn't feature all the functionality for Trap Team? Sigh.

Newest portal is not required. You can buy it digitally. Includes different trap functionality, I'd assume if you're on foot you can still use the villians.

Lijik

looks fun, the vehicle stuff looks better than i expected

in Trap team they are skippable, aren't they? maybe not every single one, but the vast majority. it was a good imrpovement over the previous titles.

some of them are, but it feels really random when trying to replay a level which ones the game deems skippable or not. Theres one level (one of the horror swamp ones i think) where it decides the first mabu you come across who has a 3-4 minute monologue about nothing important is unskippable

They have been around for a while. Are people taking Skylanders into adulthood? I am not judging. We have all been doing it with what we loved as children. I just wondered if the toy component would keep it as a child thing as opposed to Pokemon where it feels like it was made for a college dorm.

Do any of the younger Gaffers know any late teens, early twenties people who still play and follow skylanders?

Fredrik

Haha this is awesome, they've got regular third person action 3D platforming, drifting kart racing, vehicle arena battle, boat/submarine racing, spaceship racing, vehicle boss battles, upgrades on everything etc etc, and it all looks phenomenal and well-optimized. My wallet keeps on crying but I'm still smiling like a little kid on Cristmas Eve, they totally deserve the success story that Skylanders has become. I'm so in! :D

fernoca

Will get the digital version. If they offer the free upgrade on the Wii version like last year, will get that one to get the game digitally on Wii U and still get the figures.

Ramirez

Sucks about no villain trapping, easily my son's favorite thing. I bought him the first game and he wouldn't play it with me at all because we couldn't trap and use the bad guys, lol.

BuzzJive

I like the freshness of this change. Honestly, I think Activision is handling this franchise very well compared to how they've driven some previous franchises to the ground.

RobbieNick

Dammit Activision! That actually looks really good and a huge change in gameplay. Vicarious visions has always been the best developer on this series. Swap-Force was the best out of the series so far.

However, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pass this time. I've got Lego Dimensions and Star Wars Infinity to buy. so there's no room in my wallet for this. Maybe in a year's time when the game can be found at half price or less.

Also, GET CRASH BANDICOOT IN THE @#$%ING GAME ALREADY!! A great platforming mascot that Activision does nothing with.

Dammit Activision! That actually looks really good and a huge change in gameplay. Vicarious visions has always been the best developer on this series. Swap-Force was the best out of the series so far.

However, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pass this time. I've got Lego Dimensions and Star Wars Infinity to buy. so there's no room in my wallet for this. Maybe in a year's time when the game can be found at half price or less.

Also, GET CRASH BANDICOOT IN THE @#$%ING GAME ALREADY!! A great platforming mascot that Activision does nothing with.

Universal owns the Crash ip.

why the FUCK is the Toys to Life Genre avoiding the PC so much? Fucking hell, just because the first Skylanders game had a bad PC port..

-
Q. HOW MANY CHARACTERS ARE IN THE NEW GAME?
A. There are 20 Skylanders and 20 Vehicles to collect. Each will have unique powers and abilities that will DRIVE EVIL CRAZY!
-

Wow, if that's the entire list versus just wave 1 - that's a huge reduction from prior games.

Perhaps they set more modest expectations for this release with all the other toy categories competing.

At some point they have to reset the series and stop supporting older characters, since the entire list is getting insanely huge now. They already removed all sense of balance with trap team, where the new characters were orders of magnitude more powerful than prior series.

Again? Are you sure? Because I thought Vivindei sold it to Activision along with Spyro several years ago.

You might be right, Crash might be back under Activision. This whole who owns Crash saga has been a mess. I do agree with you that Crash would be an awesome addition to Skylanders. Crash and Spyro were two of my favorite characters from the Playstation era.

Hopefully this game has some kind of Kart mode, that would be the icing on the cake.

RobbieNick

why the FUCK is the Toys to Life Genre avoiding the PC so much? Fucking hell, just because the first Skylanders game had a bad PC port..

This I don't understand. I recently made myself my first PC rig and I noticed there's a free to play digital version of Disney Infinity 2.0 and I have the characters and portal from the PS4 version, but it only allows the digital codes from cards (many of which I threw away long ago) and the portal doesn't work at all! Why? This isn't iOS. I have like, TEN USB ports on my PC.

In other news, I just found out the Wii version is a port of the 3DS version so it'll be a fairly different game from the others. Wii U owners could pick up both and get a different experience. Smart move considering the Wii audience is still strong for those and the 3DS's processing power is not too far off from Wii.

Slermy

All traps work, but they don't bring villains into the game like Trap Team, they boost your vehicles in different ways.

Are we sure about this? The way I read it, the traps boost your vehicle during the vehicle sections, but I'd imagine they still play normally if you are in the on foot sections.

Are we sure about this? The way I read it, the traps boost your vehicle during the vehicle sections, but I'd imagine they still play normally if you are in the on foot sections.

As I read, you cannot play with the villians, even on foot, they did not implemented they in The game.

And it seems that I already developed Skylanders fadigue. After buying all figures (including variants) for the four games, I think I will pass on this one. Because Skylanders for me was always about co-op with my boy, and now for more than half of the game you will be on veicules, without co-op (2nd player controlling just the guns does not count). Plus Trap Team was kind of bad and with too much stuff to buy. Ok, now it is 40 figures, bit for sure there will be variants.

I wonder if its because on PC it would be very easy to hack the NFC communication

People could create super skylanders with insane stats (I imagine some level of checking would be in place but hackers often find a way)

And also an easy way to create digital skylanders hack, so people could download digital version of every single skylander in the game for free (though without the physical toy of course)

Hmm more I think about it the more I think the latter is true. A lof of the fun of skylanders is playing the character the first time.

Imagine if you could easily either buy the game and a patch (or torrent the game) and then download a file with every single character in the game (hack fooling game into thinking X character is on the portal, which with hacking wouldnt even need to exist)

Chippiez

Banned
The devil is in the details. Making a platformer mechanic and character work well and feel good to control is one thing. Vehicles are a bit more difficult. You want them to have the right weightiness and control response to provide a gratifying experience. If they just ice-skate around the levels, achieving 100% velocity in the direction you move the analog stick instantly, no thanks. If they handle like a Mario Kart or something, I'm down. Although making a toy-to-game game with vehicles and not having any true "racing" is a sin. I hope they at least have a secondary mode that *is* racing. I doubt it, but that would be swell, throw in 12-16 tracks, two for each element, some based on ground, some air, some under/on water and it's a buy. Guess I'll wait for more info before deciding on this or Lego:D for the family.

Slermy

Oh, that's disappointing that you can't use villains while on foot.

Regarding the racing mechanics, did anyone play Crash Nitro Kart? I loved Crash Team Racing (by Naughty Dog) but never played the Vicarious Visions made sequel.

chrislowe

oh crap, me and my daughter love Skylanders!. Its the best platformer for PS4 actually in my opinion.
This is gonna be ours too =) not sure if I like the vehicle part yet.. but oh well!.

Glad I never got into this craze. I told my nephew if he asks for Skylanders games, don't be surprised at the answer he's going to get.

*weeps*

I thought they would just make one game and keep making figures for it... then they made Giants a year later... I thought "Oh this seems like a logical expansion, surely this isn't a sign of things to come..."

I mean thank god I stopped at Giants, but it still stings.

chrislowe

The Starter Pack will remain at $74.99 and include Spitfire, his paired vehicle Hot Streak, and Super Shot Stealth Elf.

Ugh, again Stealth Elf? Really? Nobody wants yet another Stealth Elf...

Thats my daughters favourite character, so tell her that :)

Top Bottom