• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actual gaming Journalist article: "Can Xbox One S All-Digital Edition play discs?" (What?)

https://www.windowscentral.com/does-xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition-play-discs
Best answer: No, the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition doesn't support disc-based media. The best alternative is the standard Xbox One S.
What is the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition?
The Xbox One S All-Digital Edition is Microsoft's latest addition to the Xbox family, framed as a new entry-level living room device. Built upon the same foundations of the existing Xbox One S, it's a new low-cost disc-less alternative fully embracing digital downloads and streaming. Despite near-identical hardware under the hood, the connected console drops the optical disc drive, passing savings to buyers. In short, the Xbox One S All-Digital trades Xbox One game discs, 4K Blu-ray, and DVD compatibility for a $50 cut on the retail price.
By ditching its internal disc drive, this means the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition can't play any disc-based media. Microsoft has removed the essential components to read discs, with a fresh, streamlined casing that blocks where the drive used to be. The Xbox One also doesn't support external disc-drives over USB, making it impossible to regain disc compatibility after purchase.

"it is impossible to regain disc compatibility after purchase."

So my issue isn't with the Xbox One S Digital, it's with the gaming journalist who wrote this article as if most people are brain dead zombies on life-support sniffing crack and inhaling Blu Ray lasers up their nose.

Why would you make an article that asks a question about whether the Xbox One No Disc Edition can play discs? Then your article photo is of a regular Xbox One S?

This might be the craziest article I've seen from what is considered a "credible tech news outlet" because this is just insane.

Guys!?!? Did you know that the No disc edition of the item takes NO FUCKING DISC? Of course you didn't our readers are all dumb as shit to Windows Central apparently.

onQ123

People are actually that dumb & need to be baby fed information like this lol

well not dumb but some people just buy without really looking into stuff so it does have to be pointed out that this Xbox One will not play disc

Reactions: TLZ

angelic

Banned
To be fair, it has a disc slot (covered up).

They could have left the drive in and you could just download a key to unlock disc functionality.

ExpandKong

Banned
Ahahahhaha.

Well on the bright side, at least it wasn’t “The XBox One S All Digital Edition is the Epitome of White Privilege” or something like that.
Gotta wait a day or two for Kotaku to write that one.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
https://www.windowscentral.com/does-xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition-play-discs

"it is impossible to regain disc compatibility after purchase."

So my issue isn't with the Xbox One S Digital, it's with the gaming journalist who wrote this article as if most people are brain dead zombies on life-support sniffing crack and inhaling Blu Ray lasers up their nose.

Why would you make an article that asks a question about whether the Xbox One No Disc Edition can play discs? Then your article photo is of a regular Xbox One S?

This might be the craziest article I've seen from what is considered a "credible tech news outlet" because this is just insane.

Guys!?!? Did you know that the No disc edition of the item takes NO FUCKING DISC? Of course you didn't our readers are all dumb as shit to Windows Central apparently.

That's simply a google search trap.

Sites write that kind of stuff because people search it. It brings in some free traffic and directs it to the "actual gaming journalist articles." It's likely that this doesn't even appear on their front page.

Windows Central does a great job with their "actual gaming journalist articles." Certainly much better than your trollpolls and low-effort threads, so may want not to diss them over something that is very common and certainly doesn't negatively influence anyone.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

I wanna say I'm surprised something like this could be written, given the green light by an editor, and subsequently published....but then I'd be lying.

People are actually that dumb & need to be baby fed information like this lol

well not dumb but some people just buy without really looking into stuff so it does have to be pointed out that this Xbox One will not play disc

The advertising for it, the banners at the store, and in 4-5 different places on the box it mentions it can't play discs. Not to mention the fact it's called All digital in the name. No, no it doesn't need this type of article.

DrNeroCF

Uh, most laptops ship without a disk drive, and external disk drives are the standard for adding that functionality to laptops.

360 had an external HD DVD drive, though it couldn't play games.

I'm not sure, 'can I plug in an external bluray drive that I have lying around' is the stupidest thing I've read on the internet.

That's simply a google search trap.

Sites write that kind of stuff because people search it. It brings in some free traffic and directs it to the "actual gaming journalist articles." It's likely that this doesn't even appear on their front page.

Windows Central does a great job with their "actual gaming journalist articles." Certainly much better than your trollpolls and low-effort threads, so may want not to diss them over something that is very common and certainly doesn't negatively influence anyone.

That's a lot of damage control for someone who has no idea what the heck they are talking about since this article barely comes up on google.

I would suggest doing something to relax, maybe actually participating and contributing on the gaming forum you're on (OMG) instead of being Mr.grouchy. ;)

DonF

To be fair, it has a disc slot (covered up).

They could have left the drive in and you could just download a key to unlock disc functionality.
And cause more confusion and bad PR when people insert a disc and get a prompt to pay for the ability to use that disc? No way, Jose.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don't get why microsoft is doing this.
People with many discs can't really use this driveless xbox one s
If they are smart they could release a usb 3.0 external disc reader like the hddvd external drive.

300px-Microsoft-Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Drive-Front.jpg

Sell it for like 50 so people with many games will still want it.

Shifty

Standard low-tier journalism tactic. Ask stupid question, transcribe a lengthy description to pad out the article, answer stupid question with obvious answer.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
That's a lot of damage control for someone who has no idea what the heck they are talking about since this article barely comes up on google.

I would suggest doing something to relax, maybe actually participating and contributing on the gaming forum you're on (OMG) instead of being Mr.grouchy. ;)

And I would suggest doing something constructive instead of spamming threads just to diss people and troll, which seems to be all you can do 'round here.

Incidentally "since this article barely comes up on google" is a moot argument. You're confusing cause with effect and this kind of article doesn't always work. Pleasing Google's search algorithms is more of an art than a science. They also change all the time, so something that is very searchable today may not be tomorrow.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Uh yeah this happens a lot. It's designed to lure in people who type into google 'can the xbox one s play discs'. It's all about keywords.

Your SEO keywords are the key words and phrases in your web content that make it possible for people to find your site via search engines. A website that is well optimized for search engines "speaks the same language" as its potential visitor base with keywords for SEO that help connect searchers to your site. Keywords are one of the main elements of SEO.

In other words, you need to know how people are looking for the products, services or information that you offer, in order to make it easy for them to find you—otherwise, they'll land on one of the many other pages in the Google results. Implementing keyword SEO will help your site rank above your competitors.

(Source)

Edit: Looks like it could be affiliate advertising too based on the purchase link.

Last edited:
And I would suggest doing something constructive instead of spamming threads just to diss people and troll, which seems to be all you can do 'round here.

I'm not sure what alternate dimension you're from, but sorry to break it to you, but we you're still on earth. You seem to have a posting history with this same sort of pointless non-contributing attitude. I'm sure that's going to work real well for you.

Since I'm "spamming" (what?) threads, where's your superior thread that shows me how it's do- oh that would require you to actually try contributing. Damn. Sorry man I forgot. ;) ;) ;)

But that's also sort of your point - that online copy (don't call it journalism) is cynical shite looking for clicks. You aren't wrong there.

Not sure why you edited this part out, I know what SEO is, but that's not what they are doing, it's a thing this site rarely does, which is why it's so funny. Along with the fact that the actual post contains statements that are beyond obvious like the one I quoted i the OP about "not being able to regain disc playing privileges after purchase" and such.

What a bargain!

Actually with Amazon you're arguably paying $20 more to lose your ability to play discs. lol.

I don't get why microsoft is doing this.
People with many discs can't really use this driveless xbox one s
If they are smart they could release a usb 3.0 external disc reader like the hddvd external drive.

300px-Microsoft-Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Drive-Front.jpg

Sell it for like 50 so people with many games will still want it.

That would be $300. You can get Xbox One S regulars for less than that, why would you buy a Xbox One S all Digital just to buy a plug-in disc drive? Ya'll crazy lol. ;)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm not sure what alternate dimension you're from, but sorry to break it to you, but we you're still on earth. You seem to have a posting history with this same sort of pointless non-contributing attitude. I'm sure that's going to work real well for you.

Since I'm "spamming" (what?) threads, where's your superior thread that shows me how it's do- oh that would require you to actually try contributing. Damn. Sorry man I forgot. ;););)

Thank goodness you're not the one in the position to judge the quality of my posting because considering yours, that'd be dire indeed.

PS: there's no need to spam new threads to contribute to a forum, and considering your "contribution," you're the perfect example of that. At least I don't go around making threads with the sole purpose of mocking people who actually do good work.

Last edited:
At least I don't go around making threads just to mock people who actually do good work.

Such as who? Who is this person I mocked with a thread that did "good work"?

Edit: So not going to defend your BS I see, go have another useless DOA6 fight.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Someone needs to make a video showing how modify the console. Cut out the disc slot to add physical disc compatibility

SpartanN92

Banned
Based off prior threads around physical media I can only conclude that removing the Blu Ray drive will actually make this console the fastest and most powerful on the market.

Why would you want something that makes your console less powerful?

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I remember back in 2005-2006 a lot of obviously very smart people were saying "why should i pay for gaming magazines when i can get my news on the internet for FREE??"

Well this is why.
(Not to say that there wasn't any idiocy in gaming magazines but it was much more in-check. )

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
As I said before shit like this will only hurt the site, instead of help rebuild it and slowly bring users back.

NickFire

I can understand publishing the article for people who really aren't that bright or informed. I've heard some dizzying questions in line to purchase games before.

Top Bottom