• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adrian C. (Former People Can Fly) Claims His Dev Friends Claim 50% XB1/PS4 Speed Diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
That a entirely different, and generally game agnostic, thing.

I don't know their comparison metrics, so I would only be guessing. If the claim was "The graphics card in the PS4 performs 50% faster" I could make sense of that, because I could use graphics as a comparison point. However, "The collection of hardware performs 50% faster than this collections of hardware" ... doing what? Across everything it averages out to 50%? It can run its respective OS 50% faster, or stream textures 50% faster, or load objects 50% faster? It can processes data 50% faster, or update the screen image 50% faster? It can do all of the above, 50% faster?

It just seems like such as strange statement. "The PS4 is 50% faster". Ok, I can understand it being generally better, what does the statistic mean?

Coupled with statements such as the Xbox 360 being 'faster' than the PS3, I have no idea how useful this information is. But that's just me, trying to wrap my head around why I should be excited.

Okay, well the devs are saying it runs 50% faster. So yes, there is going to be a bit of assumptions being made at this point, but I don't think it's a humongous leap of faith to figure that their games are performing 50% faster. Which in that case, at least with my experience developing software means that whatever key processes they are timing in order to judge performance, one runs these processes about 50% percent faster. Sometimes this will translate into frame-rate other times not. However all these metrics are game related.

Will this number fluctuate across devs? Absolutely. I'll admit that 50% is a bit odd since it's not a set "race", but I don't think the comment is as odd as you're making it out to be.

Microsoft says something and nobody believes them. Twitter guy says he's talked to a few devs but doesn't name them, everybody believes him.

Lol. I'm not even purchasing an Xbox One but if I see a good looking game, I see a good looking game. Ryse looks damn good. Feel free to tell me what PC titles look substantially better? Consider that almost all current-gen titles are basically console ports too.

Here: http://youtu.be/Jtbv7gXkmws?t=2m45s

In some ways, it looks better than The Witcher 2.

Well if were talking modding there is quite a few...

Wasn't the latest build downgraded visually?

So,

We're basically dummies for arguing about specs because, when it comes to multiplats, one version will look good, while the weaker console's version will be "super-extra" optimized and made to look the same.

And it ultimately comes down to first party games. Even though, today, both consoles have great looking games.

Am i close?

The denial posts in this thread are too damn high.

The specs on paper should have been a good indicator that the PS4 is more powerful, stop trying to fight it with semantics, and moving goal posts. Games on both systems are going to look and play great. GET OVER IT.

Boke1879

tumblr_inline_mllaviw3qG1qz4rgp.gif

Lost my shit at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom