• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Games Thread 2020 - Get To The POINT Where It All CLICKS

RAIDEN1

The thing is though after ALL these years of waiting, Beyond a Steel Sky should be in a much better shape, (technically speaking) these glitches bugs remind me of Mass Effect Andromeda! (And we all know how that turned out..)You couldn't even say that this game is on par with the recent re-boot/installment of Broken Sword, at least that was done right somewhat...and was not as buggy/glitchy as this game, which reminds me I still need to complete Beneath A Steel Sky itself! Meanwhile any news on Bladerunner???

CitizenX

Banned
Discovered a pretty neat game a few days ago (available for PC & Switch), Creepy Tale:

Most puzzles are really clever, not too easy, not too far-fetched and with some tenacity and out of the box thinking you even figure out the harder ones eventually.

It‘s pretty impressive what they did with the puzzle difficulty despite the game having no dialogue despite picture thought bubbles (you always know what you‘re supposed to do though) and a non-interactive inventory (meaning you can‘t combine items and your character uses the right item automatically if you click/tap on the correct destination).

Anyway I also love the art-style and even though the story is nothing groundbreaking, you certainly wanna see what happens next.

And despite there being monsters in the game (which you usually need to trick to get to the next destination) it’s certainly no scary horror title or something in that vein. Rather a creepy atmosphere all around, which shouldn’t be a surprise considering the game title :)

The only real con I can think of is that the game is definitely too short (depending on your adventure/puzzle skills I suppose playing time will be around 2 1/2 to 4, maybe 4 1/2 hours).

Nonetheless, despite wishing it were longer I really enjoyed it. Adventuregamers basically only had two negatives for the game, the short playing time and apparently they feel like despite the devs having thanked some artist for his inspiration that they took it too far and rather plagiarized his art style. Not that I condone that but from a gamer/gameplay standpoint it doesn‘t influence my experience in a negative way.

But reading their very positive review about the game, puzzles and gameplay itself it seems they at least took away 1/2 - 1 1/2 stars because of this issue. It‘s their prerogative of course, Steam reviews are very positive all around though. I definitely don‘t regret the purchase one bit and imo for 5€/$ you‘re getting a very enjoyable adventure experience for one or two gaming evenings.

Finished this last week, its pretty good reminded me of Brothers A Tale of two sons. Seems to be some arguments if the monster design is plagiarism.

CitizenX

Banned
Free. (<1h length)

Dystopian/cyberpunk scifi setting with beautiful art.
Horrible Performance.. but it still plays fine with the occasional 15 FPS, so.. might be worth it to put everything on Ultra just to get the most out of the visuals.

99D8B082388E0D360D3E06FE9F23EF91103B47C0

BF95E4AD325571C14CAB2052E6C3713B7601DD9E

9F0E9EA04127434C6911CCE9BB8A3BBB9C7701B1

05DA709D3CEB5DAC549F829486E3E0501E0AE1F9

This was nice little game reminded me of Black the Fall in terms of story. You should check out another FTP game called The End where you play as a Fox in a cyberpunk city. Cool Ico mechanic with cubs, maybe an hr but looks good and it plays good.

So, I've just finished Beyond a Steel Sky and my overall impression is that it's a really good game. A great one, even, save for some (mostly technical) issues holding it back.

For one I have to disagree with Frog on the story. Although, perhaps not over the story itself but rather the characterization of it. I think it's giving the game's narrative short shrift to describe it as "thin." There are many exciting, fun, tense and even genuinely heartfelt moments in Beyond. While the existence of a "secretly" darker tone to Union City's colorful new utopian paint job will surprise no one, I feel the specific final surprise was well done. As well as the final confrontation with the various ministry heads in LINC space. While there certainly are elements I would deem passe (there isn't a single second someone wouldn't assume the "reflection spa" is some kind of brainwashing), on the whole it's quite good. I'd honestly put it up there with some of Revolution's best. It probably wont dethrone the original BaSS for ppl with played in the 90s and have been growing a nostalgic reverence for that game over decades, but as someone who enjoyed Beneath a year or two ago I'd say its easily on par. In some ways better.

The hacking system is fun and clever. I would have like some more dynamic outcomes from it, though. It's fun to mess around with it but sometimes I'd swap out some logic in a fashion I'd thought was clever only to have nothing happen. It's definitely the meat & potatoes of Beyond's puzzle solving. There are occasionaly some other types of puzzles too, though. Which gives a decent variety to the gameplay. I'd place the difficulty at about a medium. You'll definitely be required to use some outside the box thinking and there are some genuinely challenging moments. I like that Revolution is taking gameplay risks and this one is a success.

NMyxVa6.png

Graphically I think the game can be quite gorgeous at times. The environments, especially. There's some truly phenomenal views out into the city, with an amazing sense of scale. It feels grand, it feels enormous, even if the locations you're actually exploring aren't all that big. Problems arise with the characters, though. A lot of the facial expressions feel off and certain scenes are let down by bad animation. A noteworthy example being the final fight between Foster and Alonso, the Minister of Wellbeing. It should be this lavishly animated epic struggle but it just looks goofy. Unfinished even. It's clearly an issue of budget/dev time rather than talent because other scenes in the game are animated really well. Which, ultimately makes the bad moments that much more noticeable.

The other big issue the game has is bugs. It seems that I've personally lucked out in this regard, though. I never ran into anything game-breaking or even all that frustrating. For the most part it was just the occasional camera angle gone wrong or an NPC standing where the yshouldn't be during a cutscene. I did encounter one annoying bug where I couldn't reset the programming variables in the Piazza for some reason. It made solving a puzzle more of a hassle than it should've been but it was fixed after a quick re-load of a prior save.

Although, from reading impressions I can tell that my relatively stable experience has not been the experience of many ppl playing this game. Even on the PC version it seems there are an abundance severe or even game breaking bugs still in the game. I was reading someone's impressions on Discord and they described 5 hard crashes within two hours of gameplay. There's really no excuse for that. Even though my own experience was relatively smooth, this game clearly needed far more QA testing. I can only hope Revolution patches these issues as quickly as possible. At this point early players are functioning as beta testers for the game and that sucks.

Us5uFtz.png

In the end I'd give Beyond a Steel Sky an 8.2/10. It's a really well made adventure game that blends the modern and classic successfully. It's unfortunate that aspects are let down by a lack of polish but the core experience is really strong. I liked it enough to now be on a second playthrough, immediately after finishing. Just to spend some more time in the world and with those characters. For my money this is the best Revolution game since Broken Sword 2.

So, I've just finished Beyond a Steel Sky and my overall impression is that it's a really good game. A great one, even, save for some (mostly technical) issues holding it back.

For one I have to disagree with Frog on the story. Although, perhaps not over the story itself but rather the characterization of it. I think it's giving the game's narrative short shrift to describe it as "thin." There are many exciting, fun, tense and even genuinely heartfelt moments in Beyond. While the existence of a "secretly" darker tone to Union City's colorful new utopian paint job will surprise no one, I feel the specific final surprise was well done. As well as the final confrontation with the various ministry heads in LINC space. While there certainly are elements I would deem passe (there isn't a single second someone wouldn't assume the "reflection spa" is some kind of brainwashing), on the whole it's quite good. I'd honestly put it up there with some of Revolution's best. It probably wont dethrone the original BaSS for ppl with played in the 90s and have been growing a nostalgic reverence for that game over decades, but as someone who enjoyed Beneath a year or two ago I'd say its easily on par. In some ways better.

The hacking system is fun and clever. I would have like some more dynamic outcomes from it, though. It's fun to mess around with it but sometimes I'd swap out some logic in a fashion I'd thought was clever only to have nothing happen. It's definitely the meat & potatoes of Beyond's puzzle solving. There are occasionaly some other types of puzzles too, though. Which gives a decent variety to the gameplay. I'd place the difficulty at about a medium. You'll definitely be required to use some outside the box thinking and there are some genuinely challenging moments. I like that Revolution is taking gameplay risks and this one is a success.

NMyxVa6.png

Graphically I think the game can be quite gorgeous at times. The environments, especially. There's some truly phenomenal views out into the city, with an amazing sense of scale. It feels grand, it feels enormous, even if the locations you're actually exploring aren't all that big. Problems arise with the characters, though. A lot of the facial expressions feel off and certain scenes are let down by bad animation. A noteworthy example being the final fight between Foster and Alonso, the Minister of Wellbeing. It should be this lavishly animated epic struggle but it just looks goofy. Unfinished even. It's clearly an issue of budget/dev time rather than talent because other scenes in the game are animated really well. Which, ultimately makes the bad moments that much more noticeable.

The other big issue the game has is bugs. It seems that I've personally lucked out in this regard, though. I never ran into anything game-breaking or even all that frustrating. For the most part it was just the occasional camera angle gone wrong or an NPC standing where the yshouldn't be during a cutscene. I did encounter one annoying bug where I couldn't reset the programming variables in the Piazza for some reason. It made solving a puzzle more of a hassle than it should've been but it was fixed after a quick re-load of a prior save.

Although, from reading impressions I can tell that my relatively stable experience has not been the experience of many ppl playing this game. Even on the PC version it seems there are an abundance severe or even game breaking bugs still in the game. I was reading someone's impressions on Discord and they described 5 hard crashes within two hours of gameplay. There's really no excuse for that. Even though my own experience was relatively smooth, this game clearly needed far more QA testing. I can only hope Revolution patches these issues as quickly as possible. At this point early players are functioning as beta testers for the game and that sucks.

Us5uFtz.png

In the end I'd give Beyond a Steel Sky an 8.2/10. It's a really well made adventure game that blends the modern and classic successfully. It's unfortunate that aspects are let down by a lack of polish but the core experience is really strong. I liked it enough to now be on a second playthrough, immediately after finishing. Just to spend some more time in the world and with those characters. For my money this is the best Revolution game since Broken Sword 2.

Game looks good in those screen shots, but there's a lot of the visuals that really turn me off

For one I have to disagree with Frog on the story. Although, perhaps not over the story itself but rather the characterization of it. I think it's giving the game's narrative short shrift to describe it as "thin." There are many exciting, fun, tense and even genuinely heartfelt moments in Beyond. While the existence of a "secretly" darker tone to Union City's colorful new utopian paint job will surprise no one, I feel the specific final surprise was well done. As well as the final confrontation with the various ministry heads in LINC space.

(...)

In the end I'd give Beyond a Steel Sky an 8.2/10.

Yeah seems we really completely disagree here, I especially found the last confrontation one of the weakest moments of the story,
with some of the arguments you’re using to beat your final foe(s) to be pretty unconvincing, especially to bring down - for the lack of a better term - „machine logic“.
That‘s why particularly the ending soured the story for me - Parts of it just coming across as much too easy and convenient. Well, different tastes ...

Nonetheless, story (as long as it‘s not all too dull) usually takes a backseat to good puzzles for me, meaning 8.2 is an appropriate score imo. 8.1, 8.3 or even 8.4 probably would be too :lollipop_yum:

Last edited:
Beyond a Steel Sky ending spoilers:
To me, the ending of Beyond have the vibe of a good episode of Star Trek; a dramatic morality play conclusion. With a little cheese for good measure. I did wish that Foster's VA was a bit livelier during his takedown of some of the ministries but the takedowns themselves were solid, to me. Especially considering it's Foster pointing out these contradictions to Joey, and Joey clearly still has a lot reverence for Foster despite being corrupted by years of LINC/MinOS.

I can understand thinking that taking down the Ministries so quickly was too convenient, though. Maybe they could have made each Ministry confrontation into their own small LINC Space level and gotten more in depth breaking the arguments down. But imo for the sake of pacing I was happy with how they handled it and really liked that all the Ministries were actually corrupted Joey/Ken.
Two dramatic goodbyes for the price of one lol.

On another topic, Roki is coming out tomorrow and the reviews are looking good.

I think 2020's got another one under its belt. That would bring this year up to 5 adventures I really enjoyed. With the others being Beautiful Desolation, VirtuaVerse, Beyond a Steel Sky and Luna: The Shadow Dust. With Beautiful Desolation as a possible contender for being a classic. I still need to play Lair of The Clockwork God, too.

Last edited:

Started playing Roki and it's incredible so far. Absolutely stunning visually, especially when the larger than life monsters start coming around. Where I'm at I've only just gotten through the tutorial section after the Jotun kidnaps you're brother, Lars. The game has started to open up now and there's a lot of great exploration in this first larger area. The puzzles are ramping up too.

Overall I'm loving what Polygon Treehouse has put together here. It's honestly even better than I thought it'd be. Had to briefly take a break to get some other things done but I can't wait to jump back in.

So, I just finished playing through Roki and it's no exaggeration to say this is one of my favorite adventure games ever. I loved everything about it. Incredible art direction, great puzzle balance, great puzzle variety, huge cast of lovable characters and a compelling Scandinavian folklore plot with a deep emotional core. Even the sound design and how it feels to run around these immaculately designed spaces is top notch. I could reach to find flaws if I were desperate to (there's one sequence in particular I found comparatively dull and I ran into one fairly annoying bug) but the strengths Roki has claim to far outweigh any slight issue I encountered.

2rf43Q9.jpg
uXPoyjO.jpg

This is a must play for adventure fans and honestly I don't think I could imagine of a better modern entry point into the genre for newcomers. Roki has an extremely accessible difficulty curve while still providing plenty moments of genuine challenge for hardcore fans. A very rare game in that regard.

The only fathomable reason I could think not to play this game is if you're just 100% opposed to this kind of studio Ghibli-ish childhood fantasy story. But if you're in any way shape or form down for a young girl's journey through a forest full of magical monsters, play this game.

9.3/10

Ok, Roki looks amazing. it has, well, that little usual problem, but I'll keep an eye shut and can't wait to try it.

Do Roki's kind of directed 3rd person angles give you issues as well? I thought it was only off-centered OTS angles. That's really a shame, but I'm glad to see you'll still give it a go.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Do Roki's kind of directed 3rd person angles give you issues as well? I thought it was only off-centered OTS angles. That's really a shame, but I'm glad to see you'll still give it a go.
No no no.
It's what I used to call "flash style", but it's not quite it - I can't put my finger on what gives me that feel. Maybe the use of colors and animation, I dunno. In any case, it's just very off-putting for my tastes but has nothing to do with my problems with the off-center cameras in third person 3D games. I can't play those even if I wanted to, but I'm gonna pick up Roki as soon as I have more time and my addiction for FFXIV gets toned down. I also quite like the art direction of Roki, tbh.

Last edited:
No no no.
It's what I used to call "flash style", but it's not quite it - I can't put my finger on what gives me that feel. Maybe the use of colors and animation, I dunno. In any case, it's just very off-putting for my tastes but has nothing to do with my problems with the off-center cameras in third person 3D games. I can't play those even if I wanted to, but I'm gonna pick up Roki as soon as I have more time and my addiction for FFXIV gets toned down. I also quite like the art direction of Roki, tbh.

Ah okay I get you. I misunderstood playing with "one eye shut" as a reference to dealing with motion sickness or something.

dok1or

Decided to finish Goetia and I love it! It is very hard!
Last night I was playing four hours and got stuck on one puzzle for 40 minutes

Beautiful game with great atmosphere and interesting story!

And today I found out that sequel is in the works! Great!!

Goetia 2

50158664576_9d5dda6380_z.jpg

50158114058_676c72c366_z.jpg

50158664946_545b13fdd2_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just a quick update regarding our Saint Kotar Kickstarter campaign - it ended successfully with 1,163 backers pledging €50,178 to help bring Saint Kotar to life. We wanted to thank you for keeping up with our project and to let you know that in case you wanted to support us but missed out on the campaign, you can do so in our post-Kickstarter campaign via PayPal!

We also added the Steam store page for the full game, so you can wishlist by clicking this link!

Thank you for all the support :)

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Hey everyone, just a quick update regarding our Saint Kotar Kickstarter campaign - it ended successfully with 1,163 backers pledging €50,178 to help bring Saint Kotar to life. We wanted to thank you for keeping up with our project and to let you know that in case you wanted to support us but missed out on the campaign, you can do so in our post-Kickstarter campaign via PayPal!

We also added the Steam store page for the full game, so you can wishlist by clicking this link!

Thank you for all the support :)
I'll be honest, not gonna buy on steam so I hope for a GOG release, but wishlisted for visibility.

Trailer for Embracelet from the developer known for Milkmaid of The Milk Way. It features a lowpoly 3D art style and puzzles based the titular, magical, bracelet.

I think the characters in this game look a little under designed, plain jane. But some of the environments look alright and it could be a fun game if the puzzles pan out.

We've also got the first, super early WIP, look at Wadjet Eye's latest adventure game: Old Skies. It's confirmed as being an expansion on the adventure jam game of the same name. Not much to go on for now but there is some of Ben Chandler's sweet environment art, now in 1920x1080.

Last edited:
SpaceVenture has now begun its beta testing phase.

UPDATE #123
Backer Beta testing is starting now!

Two Guys From AndromedaCreator
July 31, 2020
Hey everyone! It's been a long hard road to get to this point. This past month and especially these last few days have been a real pant load of fun activities in getting this stuff rolling. So as we start this process, we wanted to use this update to provide some general details on how the Beta testing process will work.
  • Beta testing will be available to $30 and up backers as that was one of the rewards for backing at that level and higher
  • VERY IMPORTANT: If you are hoping to play SpaceVenture in the state it is meant to be played in, that will be spoiler and bug free, you may not want to take part in this process. Regardless, you are welcomed to download the Beta version anytime you want if you are a qualified backer.
  • We are currently only Beta testing the Windows version of the game, but we will release the others when we are ready.
  • You will receive an email that will have information on getting access to the Beta test of SpaceVenture.
  • The email will provide information on how the Beta testing process works and how you will communicate with the developers and report bugs
  • We ABSOLUTELY will not be monitoring Kickstarter messages for bugs and Beta testing issues, so you MUST use the beta testing method we provide if you want to be heard during this process.
  • The Beta test will be released as a .zip file that can be extracted to your Windows based operating system in order to test.
  • We will be updating the game after fixing bugs and will release another .zip file with the next revision.
  • You will be able to simply delete the existing version of the Beta and extract the new one in order to start the process of testing over again.
  • Please be on the lookout for the email and also be patient as we are sending them in batches. If you haven't received download information within 48 hours please private message us here on Kickstarter.
We are really excited about finally getting the game in your hands to test and we hope you all know how hard we’ve worked to get to this point.
Here is a quick glimpse of the beginning of SpaceVenture in Beta testing mode:

Looks like this is actually happening for real. Hope the game is good for everyone who's anticipated it over the years.

GreenAlien

Just played Lust for Darkness.

It's advertised as a psychological horror adventure game, which translates to a very linear walking simulator with rare puzzles and simple run from/sneak past enemies parts (if you mess up, you are dead immediately, but checkpoints are close and it's easy).
There is a lot of sexual imagery, ranging from NPCs engaging with each other or alone, to statues, to phallic objects to portals you have to enter... It's not sexy.
The characters are shallow, as is the overall story. Combined with graphics and sound the game fails to build any sort of atmosphere or tension.
There is no controller support.

Can't recommend it for the base price of 15€ (or at all, really). I got it at 90% off.. If you are still curious for some reason, you should wait for a similar deal.

Last edited:

New Leisure Suit Larry game announced. It's a sequel to the recent reboot from a year or two ago. It's slated or release this coming October 15th.

I can't remember, did anyone play and enjoy the first game in this new Larry series? It looked alright but I never got around to it.

So Willy Morgan is out and it looks fantastic, visually. I played the demo and wasn't into the writing tbh, but I did bounce off it rather quickly. If anyone here ends up playing it i'd be curious to know your impressions.

Fuz

Banned

So Willy Morgan is out and it looks fantastic, visually. I played the demo and wasn't into the writing tbh, but I did bounce off it rather quickly. If anyone here ends up playing it i'd be curious to know your impressions.

Not crazy about the character's style, but the backgrounds are really good. And it's got a nice Goonies vibe. Will surely get it in the future, but don't wait for my review, I don't think I will have the time to play it for at least a few months.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

New Leisure Suit Larry game announced. It's a sequel to the recent reboot from a year or two ago. It's slated or release this coming October 15th.

I can't remember, did anyone play and enjoy the first game in this new Larry series? It looked alright but I never got around to it.

In a way I think the well has been poisoned for any Larry-like game. It was very much of its time and had it been an ongoing series for the intervening years it might have been able to evolve in a natural way, but any remake faces the problem that it covers themes which society has gone loco about. Now this isn't just that it'll trigger snowflakes if it does the Larry thing, it's that we're all poisoned by it to some degree so that if doesn't go far enough it'll be considered woke, etc. Now if it's funny, then all bets are off and all but the hardy campaigners will just enjoy it, but if it doesn't hit the mark, if it misses the funny bone, everyone will start picking at it. It has to be perfect, and that's a hard standard to hit.

CitizenX

Banned
I just finished Bendy and the Ink Machine and only 2 guys made the game. Its basically Bioshock set in an artist workshop and it is totally self aware of the comparison, nice gotcha at the end of chapter 3. It Could have been better but at the end it makes me want to reinstall my favorite series and play through it again. A sequel i guess is planned for release this year but havent seen anything. Its a very simple scavanger hunt with a few boss fights, one with the merry go round was nice it just has a slow start and ending didnt have that impact. Its priced at $20 but defiantly wait for a sale <$15

Last edited:
Replayed both Inner World titles and Thimbleweed Park during the last weeks. The latter for the third time - finally bought it for the Switch too just to support Ron Gilbert’s PnC genius once more.

The first Inner World is definitely better regarding puzzles and story. Part 2 isn‘t that far behind but especially the story is a bit weaker, just your typical all’s well that ends well stuff ... Again

Anyway for fans of classic Lucas Arts adventures and the like I can still wholeheartedly recommend both games.

And I guess not much to say about Thimbleweed Park that hasn’t been said already. Imo one of the best adventures in the last decade. Compare the loads of cash Broken Age got (guess expensive celebrity voice overs and expensive - yet still average - visuals were more important to Tim Schafer than good puzzles and releasing the full game at once) with the genius of Thimbleweed, which only got a fraction of that backer money (alas a little too late to the Kickstarter craze) and still managed to be one of the best PnCs in recent memory. With meaty yet still solvable puzzles, a kooky yet still engaging story and five chracters clicking together perfectly - Which is a feat that shouldn’t be underestimated. Broken Age couldn’t even manage the same with two main chars.

One can just hope that Ron Gilbert will make another classic PnC soon. It’s definitely his forte ^^ (If by some longshot amazing coincidence Disney would finally give him the rights to Monkey Island after all, so we could see the game and ending he envisioned for the Monkey Island Trilogy I couldn’t thank the adventure Gods enough ...)

And as I’m already on the topic, how did you guys like Delores? Haven’t got around playing it so far, think I’d enjoy it? Remember a post from Fuz starting the game but not sure about his verdict.

Last edited:
Ok, Roki looks amazing. it has, well, that little usual problem, but I'll keep an eye shut and can't wait to try it.
No no no.

Thought you‘d know Fuz better by now. :lollipop_wink_tongue: The soon I read his second sentence about “that usual little problem” I knew it was about his“Flash-Style” Graphics issue. :messenger_smiling:

But maybe I’m just more used to it, after all we already had some discussions about this and I’m still not quite sure what triggers the aversion :messenger_winking_tongue: One or two years ago you understood what he meant when I praised Deponia though :goog_smile:

Really surprised about these news, was under the impression LSL:WDDD sold lower than expected (especially as the devs hoped they could mirror the sales figures of the (much inferior) Larry 1 remake).

Anyway, I know Fuz’s and some others opinions out there who oppose the game. My impression is that most of them never gave it a try at all in the first place because of the “new Graphics-Style” and just the fact that it’s not from the same creator as the “classics“/predecessors. Similar to people who reject MI3 only because Ron Gilbert wasn’t involved anymore (not that a third part by Gilbert wouldn’t be amazing in its own way).

I really like some of Al Lowe’s Larry originals, mainly part 6 and 7 but I also enjoyed this “unofficial successor“ (WDDD) a lot. Yes, it has differences to the original(s) (which isn’t always a negative anyway as the Lowe games aren’t perfect either) but it nonetheless is a loveletter to the whole Larry series with mostly meaty and greatly balanced puzzles, the same lewd and raunchy humor of the originals (which definitely isn’t for everybody but the same rings true for every Larry game), and for me it just feels wrong and a bit biased to reject a game only because of a different surface or because it’s made by somebody else than the original creator.

To be fair, the ending was nothing to write home about but considering the game‘s above average length and its very clever puzzles from start to finish, that’s absolutely forgivable imo. All in all, for me Wet Dreams Don’t Dry is one of the most underrated PnC adventures of the last few years ... And one of the very few that focuses as much on story as on good puzzles.

Maybe it got the good sales figures it deserved on Switch. but one way or the other it’s an amazingly positive surprise that there’ll be a successor. Thanks for the info Vampire On Titus Vampire On Titus

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
after all we already had some discussions about this and I’m still not quite sure what triggers the aversion
Oh, me neither. It's probably a mix of things that makes me think of flash animation like, for example, compartmentalized animations, stretching and rotating, flat colors, clear lines.

Disagree on Larry, of course :messenger_winking_tongue:

Oh, me neither. It's probably a mix of things that makes me think of flash animation like, for example, compartmentalized animations, stretching and rotating, flat colors, clear lines.

Disagree on Larry, of course :messenger_winking_tongue:
Of course :lollipop_squint_tongue:

At least I‘m pretty confident we agree on Thimbleweed Park - And also on the idea that Ron Gilbert‘s genius should finally get the rights for Monkey Island from Disney to finish the trilogy like he‘s always wanted

Loved the part 3 we got of course (Curse of MI) - suppose we‘re in disagreeing mode again :lollipop_winking: - but would also absolutely love to see what original ending Gilbert would have had in mind for his Monkey Island 3.

Not to forget the puzzle design. Imho Thimbleweed Park is one of the best PnCs in this regard in a long time and I’m starting to salivate just imagining what Ron would be able to do with probably ten times the funding he got during his first Kickstarter campaign for that game ... As a good first step he probably wouldn’t waste a huge amount of $$$ on A-List celebrities voice overs before having figured out the game itself ...

But concerning Disney, I’m pretty afraid that this’ll never see the light of day anyway ... Alas, MI seems to have become a forgotten victim under the Star Wars license - Seems the Mouse House prefers most of their not extremely lucrative IP’s to collect dust in their cellars instead :lollipop_hushed::lollipop_worried::lollipop_pouting:

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Loved the part 3 we got of course (Curse of MI) - suppose we‘re in disagreeing mode again :lollipop_winking: - but would also absolutely love to see what original ending Gilbert would have had in mind for his Monkey Island 3.
Honestly? I don't think he had one in mind. Also, "the secret" of Monkey Island, the one that fans think it's still secret and he followed through with them? It doesn't exist or it's an afterthought.

Also, disney is the devil. Literally.

Honestly? I don't think he had one in mind. Also, "the secret" of Monkey Island, the one that fans think it's still secret and he followed through with them? It doesn't exist or it's an afterthought.

Also, disney is the devil. Literally.

Well, his following posting from 2013 mainly “dreams” about a successor to Monkey Island 2 with a lot of points that he‘s basically materialized with Thimbleweed Park anyway (retro, hard but fair puzzles ...) or changed his mind about (no verb box) but regarding “Monkey Island 3a“ (as he calls it) especially points eleven to thirteen sound(ed) interesting:

Also, in 2016 he publicly asked Disney for the Monkey Island rights:

Sure, that’s probably mostly meant in jest (as he knows there isn’t a lot of chance for this to become reality) but sometimes it’s still nice to think what could have been :/

And P. S.: If one’s completely serious, he’s absolutely right. Disney is sitting on those rights and doesn’t do anything with it.

“Fun“ fact: After they bought Lucas Arts, even the MI 1+2 renakes were pulled from the Apple App Store for good! Finished games that needed very little maintenance and for sure provided the makers with an (at the very least small but steady) income.

But what does Disney care? For them this is peanuts ... Which is the saddest reason that they won’t even think about (selling) those rights (at all) - It apparently isn’t lucrative enough, they don’t care about it and sadly they obviously rather let the IP rot and die instead of doing anything with it.

For them it probably just was an uninteresting appendix to the Star Wars rights. Yeah you’re right, they’re the devil :lollipop_ogre:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
Well, his following posting from 2013 mainly “dreams” about a successor to Monkey Island 2 with a lot of points that he‘s basically materialized with Thimbleweed Park anyway (retro, hard but fair puzzles ...) or changed his mind about (no verb box) but regarding “Monkey Island 3a“ (as he calls it) especially points eleven to thirteen sound(ed) interesting:

Also, in 2016 he publicly asked Disney for the Monkey Island rights:

Sure, that’s probably mostly meant in jest (as he knows there isn’t a lot of chance for this to become reality) but sometimes it’s still nice to think what could have been :/

And P. S.: If one’s completely serious, he’s absolutely right. Disney is sitting on those rights and doesn’t do anything with it.

“Fun“ fact: After they bought Lucas Arts, even the MI 1+2 renakes were pulled from the Apple App Store for good! Finished games that needed very little maintenance and for sure provided the makers with an (at the very least small but steady) income.

But what does Disney care? For them this is peanuts ... Which is the saddest reason that they won’t even think about (selling) those rights (at all) - It apparently isn’t lucrative enough, they don’t care about it and sadly they obviously rather let the IP rot and die instead of doing anything with it.

For them it probably just was an uninteresting appendix to the Star Wars rights. Yeah you’re right, they’re the devil :lollipop_ogre:

Oh yeah, Ron Gilbert is like Jesus for me, so I knew those statement. Point 15 ruins it for me :messenger_grinning_sweat: I also knew he asked and those assholes just ignored him. In any case, it wouldn't come cheap and a crowfunding for it would be unthinkable, sadly.

disney is shit, I'm trying to boycott them but it's kind of hard at this point. They have tentacles everywhere.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Add me to to the list of people who fucking love Thimbleweed Park. I absolutely loved it. Probably the best modern adventure game alongside Technobabylon.

Last edited by a moderator:

TripleSun

Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story finally has a release date, August 25th!

The game is supposed to be reminiscent of games like Clock Tower and Fatal Frame, while still being a point and click adventure game. The game will have death scenes, so they say make sure to keep your progress recorded or you could run into bad situations.

Been following this title for a while so I can’t wait to play it.

New trailer here as well:

Fuz

Banned

The game is supposed to be reminiscent of games like Clock Tower and Fatal Frame, while still being a point and click adventure game. The game will have death scenes, so they say make sure to keep your progress recorded or you could run into bad situations.

I think I've said it already.
I've played a demo quite some time ago (maybe alpha?).
Nice art. Unsufferably slow. Boring to play. "Flash animated."
Also, I didn't see a single nipple in my whole playthrough. 2/10 needs more nipples.

Last edited:
One can just hope that Ron Gilbert will make another classic PnC soon. It’s definitely his forte ^^ (If by some longshot amazing coincidence Disney would finally give him the rights to Monkey Island after all, so we could see the game and ending he envisioned for the Monkey Island Trilogy I couldn’t thank the adventure Gods enough ...)

And as I’m already on the topic, how did you guys like Delores? Haven’t got around playing it so far, think I’d enjoy it? Remember a post from Fuz starting the game but not sure about his verdict.

I'd think that him making a new P&C engine for which Delores is sort of the proof of concept; would be an indication that there's a new adventure on the horizon? I can hope at least.

As far as Delores itself, It's a cool little distraction that's worth going through for free. I wouldn't go into it expecting too much. It's a basically just a thin premise that sets up some cool puzzle challenges with all reused assets. It's a decent way to kill an afternoon and a cool excuse to jump back into the TP world but not much more.

I'm curious to know your impressions of it. How the characters & narrative stack up outside of the Tn'A. From what I can see in the trailer, they have spruced up the visuals since I last checked in. Hope its good.

Last edited:
Recently played through Gray Matter, the post Gabriel Knight Jane Jensen game featuring a magician protagonist, Samantha Everett. It's a very good game. It demonstrates that Jensen still has the chops to make something enjoyable outside of the GK series, even if there are few issues (mostly polish related) that hold the game back from classic status.

Immediately I remembered how much I love the setting and sense of place in Jensen's work. She always takes great care to represent the culture and history of the places where her stories are set. Gray Matter's Oxford isn't quite as fully realized as Gabriel Knight's New Orleans but the local charms still very present and much appreciated.

ss_d5f2287599723a6f8fddebe5da671373808b4699.1920x1080.jpg
ss_d25e538654909e316ad15b6ef84dd85af5d6c2e1.1920x1080.jpg

I also really enjoyed Samantha Everett as the protagonist. She's bold and funny but still shows a believable vulnerability in the games tenser moments. The magician aspect to Sam is well used, in a narrative sense. The actual magic puzzles are pretty dull. They mostly consist of following directions and the only real thinking involved is choosing the correct trick from your magic book. It would have been nice for them to be more creative.

Another familiar element from Jensen's work is the non linear "day by day" structure. This more than anything makes Gray Matter feel like a spiritual successor to the Gabriel Knight series. For the most part it works and it's nice to have a degree of freedom in tackling your daily objectives. But things get bogged down when progressing to the next day can be tied to examining some seemingly obscure object several times. Or revisiting areas just to see if any new random events were triggered by other, unrelated events. This is something that was present in GK as well but it's exacerbated in Gray Matter due to the sluggish animation and generally slower movement speed.

ss_434d35b34373172f178b1d02eeb0fc7217fdd6cd.1920x1080.jpg
ss_c19ad3d7069874a3950786ea76be464be1657266.1920x1080.jpg

As a big fan of Jane Jensen's work I loved my time with Gray Matter. She's great at sensationalizing an aspect of history, science or culture and incorporating it into an engrossing mystery/thriller story and she does just that in Gray Matter. There's a really fun cast of characters, good suspense, good twists and a great protagonist. The game is let down in certain areas by a few rough edges but the core of the experience remains strongly in tact.

If you like Gabriel Knight and haven't played it I would strongly recommend giving it a look.

Just found out about The Girl of Glass, an Adventure/RPG hybrid. Kind of like the Quest For Glory games, although with differences to the combat system I'm sure. The art looks good (especially environment art), the animation wont be to Fuz's liking lol but it's comparable to other indie adventures in that style. Perhaps even a cut or two above.

Coming out this summer, supposedly. Could be another winner.

Point-and-click adventure game Land of Screens announced for PC.

Game Description said:
When a recent breakup lights Holland’s social media ablaze, she hopes to find some breathing room out in the real world—but as plugged-in as everyone is, it seems impossible that she’ll ever get a break. In Land of Screens, guide Holland on her new mission to ditch the social media saturation and discover some real-world relationships by enlisting the help of a few new friends, some synthy chiptune jams, and the inimitable chemistry of small children and adorable animals.

A Point-And-Click Adventure of Internet Escapism

Put on your fanciest mingling cap to conquer harrowingly familiar challenges such as:

• Navigating an impromptu party where your only choices of company are strangers—or worse: friends you haven’t seen since high school.
  • Meandering through a hotel lobby to force awkward introductions with fellow attendees of a professional conference.
  • Making the best of last-minute concert plans where you’ve never heard of the band, been to the venue, or met any of the people you’re there with.
  • Family. Reunions.
  • Getting your friends excited about doing nature stuff so they can convince other people to start doing nature stuff so you can all spend the day doing nature stuff.
Just Get Everyone to Stop Looking at their Phones… No Problem.

No matter where Holland goes to try and get away, everyone is glued to their screens. She’ll need the help of old friends and new acquaintances—and they’ll need help from her—to dodge the online madness and finally unplug for a while. By diving (or stumbling) into fresh experiences, new relationships, and accidental adventures, Holland might just stand a fighting chance of escaping the ever-present creep of social media drama.

Remember How Nice it is to Talk at People’s Actual Faces?

In a world stuck on digital connections, the only way Holland is going to get through this breakup with her sanity intact is to go analog. Fortunately, she’ll soon learn just how many enticing adventures are out there, away from the continuous social media commentary. Sure, she could obsess over an online thread of opinions about her breakup like everyone normally would, but maybe there’s another way…

Seems like it could be funny. I like the art style, despite it being perhaps it going a bit too hard on the cutsey indie aesthetic for me. Visually it reminds me of Night in The Woods. Coming in 2021.

Also, Rosewater has a demo available for Steam's Indie Arena Booth Online promotion. Been looking forward to getting my hands on that one so I'll definitely be checking it out.
For whatever reason I couldn't get to the demo on Rosewater's actual steam page. Sometimes they take a while to update it. But I was able to get it on this page by scrolling to the bottom and searching for Rosewater.

Yo wtf is this??? The trailer looks like ass. The lip sync is worse than the telltale games. The writing is so stiff! What even is the gameplay???

Reaching peak levels of devastation.

Top Bottom