• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AdvertisingAge: Xbox One's Data Treasure Trove Could Reshape Marketing

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
He may be referring to my post.

I'm curious: why? Voice recognition doesn't need much processing power. 10% of X1 (which is more than 100 GFLOPS) is far more than enough. There are even specialized chips which do that. Kinect could have something like that built-in and then there's SHAPE which is specialized too. Facial recognition (and recognizing your moods) needs more power but I'm sure again that 100 GFLOPS is enough. Kinect presentations even say that it's on the system side and devs are given API tools for that so it's outside the 90% available for games.
If I'm not completely wrong, in laymans terms, the %10 is for Snap. The UI, basically.
I hope nobody missed Alberts posts. Or are the other people going to get on that when they wake up?

killatopak

If I'm not completely wrong, in laymans terms, the %10 is for Snap. The UI, basically.
I hope nobody missed Alberts posts. Or are the other people going to get on that when they wake up?

It was rumoured that the PS4, at launch, would only reserve 1 core of the CPU and Xbox One would have 2. Maybe the extra reserved core of the CPU accounts to this?

Lamptramp

That's totally fair. People at MS have talked about it enough, that I can see why people would be questioning it,

Me personally, and I'll get in trouble for saying this... I don't like it at all. I wish we never talked about it, and I hope we never do it. Someone posted a link to something similar being said around the original Kinect, and we never did anything. I'm hopeful the same holds true here.

A somewhat calming response from Albert, thanks for that.

Like others have intimated though, trust once lost is hard won back. After my 360 dashboard was roundly "ad-ifiied" (twice) despite me paying a subscription, I'm not inclined to hope for the best when it comes to the newer console, in fact I've just gone straight to "expecting the worst".
When so much of the consoles functionality is locked behind a subscription there mere suggestion that people are contemplating adding newer (and more intrusive sounding) forms of advertising makes even a free XBox one console sound unappealing.

killatopak

Like others have intimated though, trust once lost is hard won back. After my 360 dashboard was roundly "ad-ifiied" (twice) despite me paying a subscription, I'm not inclined to hope for the best when it comes to the newer console, in fact I've just gone straight to "expecting the worst".
When so much of the consoles functionality is locked behind a subscription there mere suggestion that people are contemplating adding newer (and more intrusive sounding) forms of advertising makes even a free XBox one console sound unappealing.

Nope.

At least in my case. F2P games has a lot of ads and it's because it's free. For the poor sobs like me, a free SKU of Xbox One, even with ads( I would remove the camera), is very appealing.

My beef with the console is that I'm already paying premium for it. Why should they should they profit from making me watch ads or even watch ads at all? Add that to the LIVE subscription then it gets worse.

coolasj19

It was rumoured that the PS4, at launch, would only reserve 1 core of the CPU and Xbox One would have 2. Maybe the extra reserved core of the CPU accounts to this?
Sony will never ever talk about it. And it would be in their best interest to never ever do so. They have the most powerful console and anything that brings that down is utterly unneeded. What we do know, is that a massive amount of RAM is reserved for the OS. Most likely a lesson they learned from the PS3 about having enough overhead. Don't know about the core talk though, ask one of the tech threads.

Calming is exactly what that is. Problem fixing? No. But at the very least, maybe the rage settles a bit. And I would welcome it, I've already said how I've gone full circle on that.

FeiRR

Banned
"Reserved for Snap" is a simplification of the fact that it's reserved for system purposes. Snap, in particular, requires some GPU time because you see two apps running at the same time, concurrently, being drawn and displayed in realtime and they shouldn't share resources which were attributed to one of them only before snapping. If they went with the Vita/PS4 system model (you switch between apps, they freeze if unused), they wouldn't need that reserve. I'm sure that inclusion of display planes is enough to draw simple, static UI and you can draw graphics with CPU too, it's just not so common nowadays with all that acceleration built in GPUs. It's not about capabilities of the system as much as about design decisions, all a consequence of consoles being closed devices.

That refers only to the GPU though. CPU time needs some division on both systems, all the time, because you need to have a system running in the background. There are tasks which decrypt/encrypt your HDD/BD streams (hardware accelerated in those consoles, it took a whole SPU in PS3, for example), run networking and social services (like chat, messages, etc.), can fish the system UI from RAM/flash/HDD/whatever when you press the system button. And I expect many more tasks/apps to be running in the background, on both systems, with much more focus on them in X1. Which is fine by me, I never used any apps on PS3 (other than to try them and then dump them) and I don't expect to use much of them on PS4.

Lamptramp

Nope.

At least in my case. F2P games has a lot of ads and it's because it's free. For the poor sobs like me, a free SKU of Xbox One, even with ads( I would remove the camera), is very appealing.

My beef with the console is that I'm already paying premium for it. Why should they should they profit from making me watch ads or even watch ads at all? Add that to the LIVE subscription then it gets worse.

Yeah I was exaggerating for effect there a little, though hand on heart personally I'm so put off by the messaging that I wouldn't "jump in" without thinking twice (or even thrice).

I completely agree with you though, the hardware is at a higher cost, the sub locks away the majority of the functionality, making it for all intents and purposes required and if its like the 360, it will have adverts. As you say theres plenty of precedence with FtP games doing it right, and done right its not a bad option.

Calming is exactly what that is. Problem fixing? No. But at the very least, maybe the rage settles a bit. And I would welcome it, I've already said how I've gone full circle on that.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, "Disappointed" is a perfect description. I've not been angry at them for some time.

goldenpp72

If this were the case, then the ad revenue should offset the price of the console.

Kinect console = 300 ad gathering info, kinectless = 400. So like the kindle :p

I don't know if this was posted already, if this is legit, or in which thread i should post it, but, this seems to have been leaked from Gamestop Italy.

xbox_one_350425.jpg

It must be a mistake.

3 games free! Forget dreamcast'd, that's Atari Jaguar'd!

EGM1966

It must be a mistake.

I doubt that they mean 3 games, I think they mean 3 bundles - i.e. main picture is CoD bundle then indicating that in addition there is a FIFA bundle and a Forza bundle too.

All 3 bundles would have same price.

That's how I read that slide anyway.

TBH if it is three games for that price it's a great deal but would speak volumes about pre-orders current state for XB1 in Italy as you'd never eat that much margin unless desperate.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I doubt that they mean 3 games, I think they mean 3 bundles - i.e. main picture is CoD bundle then indicating that in addition there is a FIFA bundle and a Forza bundle too.

All 3 bundles would have same price.

That's how I read that slide anyway.

TBH if it is three games for that price it's a great deal but would speak volumes about pre-orders current state for XB1 in Italy as you'd never eat that much margin unless desperate.
You wouldn't put '+' if you meant 'or'.

The speaker is probably meant to say something along the lines of "We're releasing a bundle with the new Call of Duty, plus these other bundles will also be available.'

If it included all 3 games, they'd be displayed prominently on the box.

EGM1966

Yeah but I believe that slide is saying:

• we have a Cod bundle and
  • we have a FIFA bundle and
  • we have a Forza bundle

As a consumer you think "or" because you chose whether to buy CoD or Fifa or Forza : as a presenter announcing what you have you'd normally be thinking AND as in we have this AND we have this because technicaly all the bundles will exist at the same time.

I could be wrong but that's how I'm reading it.

Like most PPT it's a bit ambiguous but then in my experience presentations are rarely as clear as the presenter thinks/intends.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeah but I believe that slide is saying:

• we have a Cod bundle and
  • we have a FIFA bundle and
  • we have a Forza bundle

As a consumer you think "or" because you chose whether to buy CoD or Fifa or Forza : as a presenter announcing what you have you'd normally be thinking AND as in we have this AND we have this because technicaly all the bundles will exist at the same time.

I could be wrong but that's how I'm reading it.

Like most PPT it's a bit ambiguous but then in my experience presentations are rarely as clear as the presenter thinks/intends.
I'm not seeing it. They would put all three boxes up if that's what they meant, or put 'or'.

EGM1966

I'm not seeing it. They would put all three boxes up if that's what they meant, or put 'or'.

Like I say I could be wrong - but PPT only gives you so much room and three box pictures would make the box/game image look too small on-screen IMHO. Better to use a big picture of the main box and then only highlight the different game for each bundle - three box pictures would look almost identical plus the game image within the box would be tiny then.

BTW I'm not saying that's a good slide just how I initially read it. If it is three games then I think the slide could be clearer and should include "all for".

If it is three bundles then I think that could be clearer too.

We'll soon know online anyway.

EDIT : I should note no doubt my reading of the slide if influenced by what I think is more likely : i.e. I have easier time believing 499 euros bundle in 3 flavours than a single bundle for 499 euros with 3 mainline games. As I noted originally if it is 3 games for that price then I'd have to imagine the situation is so dire as to require such as drastic bundle as the lost of that bundle must be pretty big as MS would need to pay for both CoD/FIFA as a minimum although they could maybe eat Forza as their own title.

IvorB

It's great that Albert has come on here to answer concerns but I'm not really sure that his responses say much. He has said that nobody is working on that at the moment and there are no plans to do it. Forgive me if I am wrong but you don't go to a conference and talk to a bunch of professionals about stuff that's never gonna happen and that you have no plans to action. Why would you waste people's time like that? You must have (tentative?) plans to do it on some level if you are talking about it at a major conference.

Basically if you plan on getting an Xbone you better be ready for this stuff to get rolled out. If it doesn't happen now it's happening in the future.

-They already have a sophisticated ad platform operating on the 360

-They are already talking about data mining and collection for targeted ads on a theoretical level for Xbone

-The design of the whole machine lends itself to the purposes of data-mining and advertising even at the expense of gaming.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't know if this was posted already, if this is legit, or in which thread i should post it, but, this seems to have been leaked from Gamestop Italy.

xbox_one_350425.jpg

Pre-orders must have caught a flat-line. I cant wait for some post launch numbers or hear what kind of spin MS will put on it. Worlds fastest selling surveillance device might work. At this point a Kinect-less version might be the only way some people will actually buy your product. If only they had shown a single game that actually benefits from its mandatory inclusion.

I think both MS and Nintendo gambled (and lost) on some "home run" type Wii gimmick that just drove costs up and specs down. Neither have shown any software that makes me need those gimmicks over getting more bang for my buck on hardware. In contrast Sony's big "home run" was 8GB of GDDR5. RAM isn't going to spy on you or be some thing that devs dont know what to do with so they just fill it with a map. Even if the PS4 isn't some monster compared to the PC I already have which cost 3-4x as much the PS4 its still pretty good for the price.

FeiRR

Banned
I think it's just been posted (I haven't seen it) http://youtu.be/UtqQShlyXzM

Some more examples of biometric readings in real time, works very well. Also more details about the controller's rumble. If you're not interested in Xbox, just watch the girl getting vibrated at the end.

p3tran

Banned
Dear Albert,

I want you to know that since your confirmation that I can use the box with the kinect DETACHED, I decided to buy the machine.

Please take serious notice, that the minute we see that you are forcing the kinect on a game that doesnt really need it, all of us that will buy the machine, we will be done with it at the same instant.
I'll throw some title names just to be sure that you understand: halo, titanfall, whatever you'll do with epic or with the new studio, etc.

This is a business transaction we are undertaking: I buy your stuff only since you agreed to not use what you should never have brought on the first place.

Please make sure you communicate this in a very clear way to the people that took the foolish decisions.
I can guarantee you it will be very helpful to the "career" the new console will have.

thanks

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It must be a mistake.

Chains in Europe are known for doing this, we were getting PS3 at launch with 3 free games....
But according to some reports, X1 preorders are waaaay below target in Italy and Germany.

tkalamba

Pre-orders must have caught a flat-line. I cant wait for some post launch numbers or hear what kind of spin MS will put on it. Worlds fastest selling surveillance device might work. At this point a Kinect-less version might be the only way some people will actually buy your product. If only they had shown a single game that actually benefits from its mandatory inclusion.

I think both MS and Nintendo gambled (and lost) on some "home run" type Wii gimmick that just drove costs up and specs down. Neither have shown any software that makes me need those gimmicks over getting more bang for my buck on hardware. In contrast Sony's big "home run" was 8GB of GDDR5. RAM isn't going to spy on you or be some thing that devs dont know what to do with so they just fill it with a map. Even if the PS4 isn't some monster compared to the PC I already have which cost 3-4x as much the PS4 its still pretty good for the price.

Or there is simply 3 bundle options. The picture without the context of what the presenter is saying is absolutely worthless in this case,

Jhriad

xbox_one_350425.jpg

How exactly is this related to the thread topic? Let's derail the thread with something that focuses the conversation on something positive and quietly silences talk about the potential negatives of the Kinect.

How's the weather in Redmond, Junior?
;)

KoopaTheCasual

xbox_one_350425.jpg

So much for "breaking even or low margins". All these deal are definitely taking its toll on any profit they want to make out the gate.

p3tran

Banned
is this photo real?
the bottom two games look like shopped in.
notice how large white border there is on the left side of that slide, and compare to the right, where practically forza box is out of picture.

I would gladly cancel my amazon.uk order to get this one instead, but even in their site I dont see anything

Lamptramp

is this photo real?
the bottom two games look like shopped in.
notice how large white border there is on the left side of that slide, and compare to the right, where practically forza box is out of picture.

I would gladly cancel my amazon.uk order to get this one instead, but even in their site I dont see anything

Someone earlier mentioned it was a slide from an internal company show and that the "+" indicates (poorly) that its bundles with either game rather than a super bundle with all.

[edit]
Wow was only the previous page thread didnt move as much as I thought.

that slide is meant for gamestop people..

they have 3 packs.. the 3 they show on the slide.

http://www.gamestop.it/SearchResult/QuickSearchHeaderPlatform?platform=28&rootGenre=15

coolasj19

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/x...buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer
"You guys want to make advertising money with the Kinect but you also want to make console/game selling money [from] us," Pete Dodd, the man who started a social media campaign against digital rights management (DRM) on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this summer, wrote on the popular gaming forum NeoGAF Monday. "I don't know how you can do both."
:D
Dear god man... Headlines everywhere. It's interesting that this is only making it's rounds towards the end of the day.

shaowebb

How is this thing supposed to keep my information private like they say when a paragraph before that the NuAds promise to monitor every nuance of what is happening in my living room and respond to that directly in realtime?

Its a contradiction that just stands out and honestly I dont think I want this device now no matter whats on it knowing that I'm being studied for ad placement with camera while I try to relax.

Snubbers

How is this thing supposed to keep my information private like they say when a paragraph before that the NuAds promise to monitor every nuance of what is happening in my living room and respond to that directly in realtime?

Its a contradiction that just stands out and honestly I dont think I want this device now no matter whats on it knowing that I'm being studied for ad placement with camera while I try to relax.

As crap as their 'vision' of what was possible with NuAds, all data will be anonymised, hell it doesn't even have to leave your house to achieve what they want..

The worse case as I see it is you've accidentally opted in to stuff and Kinect 'could' be used to guage some response to an advert.. You box doesn't send images of you 'responding' to the advert to MS who then send those to third parties, it would locally identify what your response was (good or bad as an example) and log that on their servers, with that data then anonymised to advertisers, and again, worse case thinking, that anonymised data is then used to push some form of response back to the box, like "A user liked advert X, now show them advert Y", no personal info required.

I see no reason to think that any live streaming, snapshots, or audio clips to be uploaded from your house (other then opted in voice recognition improvement programs).

They really need to do a 180 on this, or make the program so obviously opt-in that people can make the choice legitimately about targetted advertising, because peoples perception of how marketing data is collected/interfaced seems to be different from the reality of it.

CLEEK

If you care about privacy, you should opt out of using any Microsoft products or services. The Snowden leaks have shown they have zero regard for the privacy and rights of individuals, and outright lie in PR statements about what they do and don't do.

Top Bottom