• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Affordable Space Adventures Review Thread

Reviews have started to roll out for this game and since it is releasing so soon (the 9th) and getting, from the scores I've seen so far, a pretty positive reception I figured it was worth it to have a thread.

affordable-space-adventures-2-1.jpg

Metacritic Page

Gamereactor eu 8/10
We've done things and reached places with this old banger that you could never imagine, and we will get back on our beloved Small Craft in a few weeks and return to this most unique of adventures so we can enjoy it once again. If you like artistic and ingenious games, this is one you don't want to miss.

Destructoid 9/10
Affordable Space Adventures is a game that can only work on the Wii U. Its two-screen experience is exactly what the system was designed for and the result is a unique breath of fresh air that might actually force player to hold that breath in certain situations. The multiplayer doesn't pan out too well and there were some physics glitches, but this is a game that Wii U owners need to get their hands on.

Nintendoeverything “thumbs up”
Affordable Space Adventures isn’t the best puzzle game on the Wii U, but it’s an intriguing experiment that’s worth checking out. It lacks the seemingly endless content of Pushmo World, the story of The Swapper and the production values of Captain Toad, but what it does have is a brilliant control scheme that makes use of the GamePad in creative ways. Though the journey is brief and linear, it’s packed with brilliant puzzles that push players to think creatively in figuring out how to best use the range of tools at their disposal. If you’re after a showcase for the Wii U GamePad, this is it.

Bitparade 8/10
Better still, the laughter which accompanies acts of incompetence among your space team becomes yet another unique experience which Affordable Space Adventures thrives on. Piloting a spaceship has rarely felt this engaging.

hobbyconsolas 9/10
Afordable Space Adventures is one of the best Wii U showcases. It uses the Wii U Gamepad as no other game has done before and it offers a bunch of intelligent puzzles and situations that will force you to think (and use all the spacecraft abilities) before act. It also offers a great atmosphere, light effects and a very, very enjoyable local multiplayer.

Nintendolife 8/10
Affordable Space Adventures is a unique game that can only conceivably work this well on the Wii U, though the 3DS could be a decent alternative in future. It not only utilises the GamePad, but makes it integral to the experience, while tackling it solo or with others is equally rewarding. There's evident devotion to small details and quality from the developers, and though it's over relatively soon we wouldn't have missed this adventure for the world. There's nothing else quite like this out there, and it's certainly a trip worth taking.

Nintendo World Report 8/10
Affordable Space Adventures is a brilliant ride from beginning to end. However, the game can understandably be overwhelming for the solo player and it can cause a lot of stress while playing through the game. With a team, though, you can remain calm and discuss your options on what to do next. The game is long enough without overstaying its welcome and there are plenty of interesting environments and obstacles to check out (and avoid, as the situation dictates). There are a few puzzles that I could live without, but most of them are solid in this linear but imaginative space trek. I can't ask really for more!

DreamcastGuy 8.8/10
This is a rare gem that'll make you want to laugh out loud, and will also make you want to shout with triumph after beating a really tough problem. [...] The perfect use for the Wii U GamePad. [...] the most immersive experience I've had on the Wii U thus far.

Always Nintendo 7/10
Like every other game, it's not for everyone. So, for those interested in the game, I would say "buy it." For those on the fence, I would recommend you wait for a price drop or a sale.

Game Informer 8/10
Affordable Space Adventures is a great puzzle game, and it uses the GamePad in interesting ways that don’t feel like gimmicks. It shows Nintendo isn’t the only studio capable of doing interesting things with an additional screen. It’s nice to see the Wii U become home to a truly exclusive title trying to do something different.

Metro.co.uk 7/10
One of the best uses of the Wii U GamePad so far and one of the most atmospheric games of the year, even if it does run out of new tricks before the end.

Digital Chumps 8.2/10
One part hysterical, one part horrifying, all parts engrossing: "Affordable Space Adventures" is every bit worthy of consideration as the next addition to your Wii U digital library. If the idea of playing video games in a way you probably never have before – whether alone or with pals – sounds fun to you, it’s a must-experience title that you’ll remember long after you’ve traversed your way through it.

Attack of the Fanboy 4.5/5
Affordable Space Adventures truly takes advantage of the uniqueness of the Wii U, and it is all the better for it. Few games have felt this distinct, while also remaining fun and enjoyable. The campaign doesn’t last too long, but what time you can spend in it will truly satisfy, and if you bring some friends along it only gets better. If you own a Wii U and have been starving for new games, then you owe it to yourself to pick up Affordable Space Adventures.

Slant Magazine (no score)
ASA is a rare exception: a small developer using Nintendo's unique hardware to create something not possible on any other system, while providing hardcore gamers with the kind of challenging, intense experience that Nintendo mostly doesn't bother with.

Coin-Op.TV (no score)
Affordable Space Adventures walks a fine line between frustrating puzzler and perfect brain teaser. A permeating sense of wonder definitely helps, even as some of the puzzles become increasingly difficult. This is one of the only games on the Wii U so far that I feel could not have been accomplished without the gamepad.

Pandy

I was excited for this when it was announced, but the long wait cooled my enthusiasm somewhat. Really glad to hear some positive reviews.

TheMoon

So much for me saying I'll make one tomorrow once more reviews have come in over in the other thread...

edit: which, turns out, was in the exact same moment this got posted then. lol

I guess this game is like Journey and more about the experience than actual gameplay?
Will definitely buy it on a stressful week.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendolife too.

Affordable Space Adventures is a unique game that can only conceivably work this well on the Wii U, though the 3DS could be a decent alternative in future. It not only utilises the GamePad, but makes it integral to the experience, while tackling it solo or with others is equally rewarding. There's evident devotion to small details and quality from the developers, and though it's over relatively soon we wouldn't have missed this adventure for the world. There's nothing else quite like this out there, and it's certainly a trip worth taking.

8/10

I guess this game is like Journey and more about the experience than actual gameplay?

Actually quite the opposite, it's more about the puzzles and the gameplay rather than the exploration.

The two reviews I read both said it's pretty short. I find it funny that Affordable Space Adventures is actually pretty expensive for how long it is ($20 for 5-6 hours).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The two reviews I read both said it's pretty short. I find it funny that Affordable Space Adventures is actually pretty expensive for how long it is ($20 for 5-6 hours).

Until we're going to pay an hourly (or daily or monthly) rate for the games the price doesn't have to be proportional with how long a game is, but with its perceived value (how good is the concept, how polished it is, is it fun?, is it challenging?, is it broken? am I entertained enough for my $20? etc.)

When it releases?

9th of April (in 3 days).

iratA

Yeah its the Indie version of The Order 1886 and I mean that in a positive way. Both have high production values, attention to the smallest details and could only really be accomplished on the system they were made for. Sounds like GOLD to me!

Oh and that PS4 + WiiU combo that GAF has talked so much about is still panning out gloriously.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Game will be the crowning conclusion of my wiiU sci-fi trilogy (The Swapper, The Fall, Affordable Space Adventures).

Im just gonna give a shoutout to kingsnake who told me this game is gonna be good on twitter knowing I dont really like indies. But imma buy it for that :p

Awesome. Thanks for putting all these reviews up. I'm happy to see it getting such positive reviews and can't wait to play it!

Robin64

Aren't there highly regarded games out there that give 5-6 hours for double this price? While I agree that $20 is above my personal budget for an eShop title, I don't think length to beat it is a suitable metric, especially when the game will have huge replayability in multiplayer.

NIGHT-

Aren't there highly regarded games out there that give 5-6 hours for double this price? While I agree that $20 is above my personal budget for an eShop title, I don't think length to beat it is a suitable metric, especially when the game will have huge replayability in multiplayer.

The order was pretty short

It's not the only metric that should be considered but it's definitely not meaningless. The disconnect for me here is that they went out of their way to call the game "Affordable Space Adventures", which doesn't tell me anything about the game except that it's supposed to be cheap, but it's priced at the very high end of digital releases at $20, a pricepoint that didn't even really exist for "indies" until very recently.

Only looking at the games on the Wii U eshop the pricing might make sense, but competing with everything else out there, the price seems too high. I'm curious if it'll work out for them.

It's not the only metric that should be considered but it's definitely not meaningless. The disconnect for me here is that they went out of their way to call the game "Affordable Space Adventures", which doesn't tell me anything about the game except that it's supposed to be cheap, but it's priced at the very high end of digital releases at $20, a pricepoint that didn't even really exist for "indies" until very recently.

Only looking at the games on the Wii U eshop the pricing might make sense, but competing with everything else out there, the price seems too high. I'm curious if it'll work out for them.

The "affordable" refers to the story of the game, not its price. You're an aspiring space captain who's bought an exploration ship on the cheap.

LiamR

I've been playing it for the past week. I really like it. I was amazed at how intuitive/unintrusive the controls were. It takes advantage of almost every feature of the gamepad and yet it feels totally intrinsic to the experience. It even uses tilt without becoming tedious; its usage is actually very neat, I thought.

It's pretty amazing how an indie developer has showed up even Nintendo in how well they've used the gamepad.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Im just gonna give a shoutout to kingsnake who told me this game is gonna be good on twitter knowing I dont really like indies. But imma buy it for that :p

Ha! Good guy, that kingsnake. :p

I had full trust in this game since I played it at Gamescom last year and I had a very nice chat about it with its very passionate developer.

Weng

Actually it tells you more about the game than a lot of other game titles.

I'm also really confused about the "$20 is too much" stance. If it's an indie game it has to be cheap no matter how long or how fun it may be. If it's a "triple A" game (I hate this term btw) it's completely okay if it's $60 or $70 no matter how long or how fun it is, but it's okay because it did cost more to produce and to market... /s
Also: it's an innovative game, it makes great use of the gamepad and asymmetric multiplayer, the involved studios released other games that were at least good... I don't know what speaks against supporting a game like this if you're interested, it reviews well and other impressions are equally positive.

Munkybhai

I've been waiting for this ever since I saw the first trailers. This is going to be so much fun to play with my friends.

:)

Shauni

So, what I'm getting from the review so far is that it's a fantastic experience co-op, but solo less so?

MilesTeg

Banned
I'm intrigued, but 5 hours for $20 and pretty much no replay value will have me waiting for a sale I think. Although Wii U is certainly pretty damn dry for game releases the next few months.

rjc571

Banned
Actually it tells you more about the game than a lot of other game titles.

I'm also really confused about the "$20 is too much" stance. If it's an indie game it has to be cheap no matter how long or how fun it may be. If it's a "triple A" game (I hate this term btw) it's completely okay if it's $60 or $70 no matter how long or how fun it is, but it's okay because it did cost more to produce and to market... /s
Also: it's an innovative game, it makes great use of the gamepad and asymmetric multiplayer, the involved studios released other games that were at least good... I don't know what speaks against supporting a game like this if you're interested, it reviews well and other impressions are equally positive.

It's not really that hard to understand why. The standard price for high-end indie games has been $15 going back to 2008. A few games have bucked that trend, such as the recent Ori and the Blind Forest, but that game is far above and beyond the level of polish one typically expects from indie games. Affordable Space Adventures, on the other hand, just looks like a typical indie (at least on the surface).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, what I'm getting from the review so far is that it's a fantastic experience co-op, but solo less so?

Solo is more challenging I think, as you have to manage by yourself all the systems. Co-op is more on the fun side because of the "fuck the pilot" potential.

CaVaYeRo

That looks pretty damn cool.

Yup, thanks. Gameplay from game's opening is not that illustrative of the experience.

And yeah, 38 levels, as mentioned on Gamereactor review. Would've loved some hidden paths and items, specially after playing Knytt Underground last Christmas.

Glad to hear that it sounds to be a high quality game, but that name really doesn't do it any favors. I think a lot of people are hearing the name and thinking it's a throwaway mobile game.

Ronnie

Banned
Glad to hear that it sounds to be a high quality game, but that name really doesn't do it any favors. I think a lot of people are hearing the name and thinking it's a throwaway mobile game.

Needs an epic catchy and not at all cliche and soulless AAA title like The Division, Battlefield, Destiny, Halo, Bloodborne.

[/sarcasm]

Top Bottom