• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2011 |OT| Team Bonding, St. Kilda Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Man that was such a bad call!

I watched the match again on Sunday and that was about the only bad decision. I thought the umpiring was fantastic, most of the time they just let the game flow. Obviously there were a few bad decisions like the unpaid mark and some frees here and there, but you're always going to get a few.

Shaneus

As a Geelong supporter, I'm going to stick with the statement I started using since Saturday afternoon: We defeated two teams in the Grand Final... Collingwood and the umpires
lol.gif

maladroid

jambo said:
Aww man, you gotta be kidding me, 5 points?!

Haha, yay! I haven't won a tipping comp-like thing since year 8 or so. :D Is there going to be regular GAF season tipping next season?

That shocking post decision made up for the unpaid Swan mark, imo. ;) I remember after Geelong were up by 31, I just wanted both teams to stop scoring even though there were 5 minutes to go, haha.

fisheyes

shiwasu said:
Haha, yay! I haven't won a tipping comp-like thing since year 8 or so. :D Is there going to be regular GAF season tipping next season?

That shocking post decision made up for the unpaid Swan mark, imo. ;) I remember after Geelong were up by 31, I just wanted both teams to stop scoring even though there were 5 minutes to go, haha.

There was a GAF tipping league this year. I forget who won, but it sure as hell wasn't me. They'll be another next year for sure.

jambo

Saw that, could be interesting, might see the Saints drop off the top of the comp again, losing their coach, some key staff and now key players.

Also the new Doggies guernsey is great!

1OilA.jpg

jambo

qk7op.jpg

FOX Sports AFL Trade Week Live Blog

2011 AFL Draft Order:

• delaide Crows: 10, 35, 53, 71, 89
  • Brisbane Lions: 8, 27 (c), 30 (p), 34, 52, 70, 88
  • Carlton: 22, 44, 62, 80, 98
  • Collingwood: 25, 47, 65, 83, 101
  • Essendon: 19, 41, 59, 71, 95
  • Fremantle: 16, 38, 56, 74, 92
  • Geelong: 26, 48, 66, 84, 102
  • Gold Coast Suns: 4, 28 (p), 32, 50, 68, 86
  • Greater Western Sydney Giants: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 31, 49, 67, 85
  • Hawthorn: 24, 46, 64, 82, 100
  • Melbourne Demons: 12, 36, 54, 72, 90
  • North Melbourne: 18, 40, 58, 76, 94
  • Port Adelaide: 6, 29 (p), 33, 51, 69, 87
  • Richmond: 14, 37, 55, 73, 91
  • St Kilda: 20, 42, 60, 78, 96
  • Sydney Swans: 21, 43, 61, 79, 97
  • West Coast: 23, 45, 63, 81, 99
  • Western Bulldogs: 17, 39, 57, 75, 93

The news so far:

- Tom Mitchell, son of Barry, is off to the Swans after they gave up their first-round draft selection under the bidding system now in place.

- Dylan Buckely nominated by Carlton received no bids from other clubs. Can now make his way to the Blues via their clubs' last selection at the national draft.

- Jed Bews nominated by Geelong received no bids from other clubs. Can now make his way to the Cats via their clubs' last selection at the national draft.

- Mitch Clark's manager, Colin Young, says his man is likely to find his way to Fremantle. West Coast did have a nibble but they're out of the race. A return to Brisbane is out of the question, too.

Kerrby

Banned
I read that West Coast is most likely to get Mitch Clarke as Freo hasn't wanted to deal properly or even offer anyone yet.

Shaneus

jambo said:
Yup, son of the former captain!
Sweet! No idea how he plays but he'd have to be a good addition. We should be seeing a few of the late 80s players kids come through soon... if they'd had kids in the early 90s they'd be coming of age now. Looks like Bairstow might not be so loyal to the Cats due to the way he was dropped, but Couch has a nephew playing for North Ballarat and plenty of other Geelong legends who I think would be raising footy-playing kids.

Kerrby

Banned
midonnay said:
fuck you Port!!!

you steal brad ebert .....give us mitch clark >_<

I doubt we would want Mitch Clarke. He's a ruckman, we have Cox and NicNat for our rucks. Then when Cox retires we have Lycett to take his place.

fisheyes

First two trades are official:

Richmond gets Steven Morris and pick 15, GWS gets pick 14 in return.

Collingwood gets Marty Clarke, Jamie Elliot and pick 67, and GWS gets pick 25.

That's all so far. Hope Port can secure Ebert soon.

jambo

GWS trade pick one in the 17-year-old mini-draft and pick 31 to Gold Coast in exchange for pick four and a compensation pick in the middle of the first round

Adelaide trade Jack Gunston, pick 53 and pick 71 to Hawthorn in exchange for picks 24, 46 and 64

I really hope we do get Ebert, everything's looking good so far.

fisheyes

That is a hell of a deal. I'm skeptical its not part of something bigger down the road, though.

Also, speaking of good deals, Badelaide gets Mini Draft pick 2 and Norwood player Luke Brown, and GWS get pick 10 and an end of first round compo pick. I think that's a win for the crowies for sure.

Also it means GWS now has precisely 7 bajillion picks in the first round of the draft.

jambo

Lots of rumours flying around about Fev going to a Melbourne club as a mature age rookie.

I wouldn't bother with him tbh, his on-field performance would never make up for his inevitable off-field shenanigans.

- Crows got Lynch from the Saints for pick 37. Pretty good I reckon

- Port got Renouf for pick 33, so I'm happy!

midonnay

we got Josh Hill..... no mitch clark (we would have used him as a key forward which would free up jack darling to play as a midfield/utility) but better than a draft pick in a weak draft.

fisheyes

jambo said:
- Crows got Lynch from the Saints for pick 37. Pretty good I reckon

They effectively got him for Maric, which, considering he was going to bail anyway, I consider a pretty good deal.

Very happy with Renouf for 33. If we can Brad Ebert for 28 we'll be laughing, we've got enough high draft picks from last year's influx anyways. Plus we've still got pick 6.

fisheyes

And trade week is done and dusted.

What your club got:

Adelaide: Brad Crouch (17 year old Mini Draft #2), Luke Brown (GWS), Tom Lynch (St K), Lewis Johnston (Syd), Josh Jenkins (Ess)

Brisbane: Jordan Lisle (Haw), Dayne Zorko (GC), Ben Hudson (WB)

Carlton: not a sausage

Collingwood: Marty Clarke, Jamie Elliot (GWS), Peter Yagmoor (GC)

Essendon: some picks and no josh caddy

Freo: some picks and no mitch clark

Geelong: some other picks

Gold Coast: Jaeger O’Maera (Mini Draft #1), Matthew Warnock (Mel)

GWS: Chad Cornes, Dean Borgan, Luke Power and a packet of Werther’s Original (cos old people eat them. And all those players are old. Ha. Ha.)

Hawks: Jack Gunston (Ad), Jarrad Boumann (Freo)

Melbourne: $800,000 a season worth of fuck all... aka Mitch Clark (Bris)

Kangaroos: Will Sierakowski (Haw)

Port: Brett Renouf (Haw), Brad “smaller headed” Ebert (WC)

Richmond: Steven Morris (GWS), Ivan Maric (Ad)

Saints: Terry Milera (GWS), Ahmed Saad (GWS)

Sydney: Mitch Morton (Rich), Tony Armstrong (Ad), Tommy Walsh (St K)

Weagles: Josh Hill (WB)

Bulldogs: picks

DRAFT
Round one
1. Greater Western Sydney
2. Greater Western Sydney
3. Greater Western Sydney
4. Greater Western Sydney
5. Greater Western Sydney
6. Port Adelaide
7. Greater Western Sydney
8. Brisbane Lions
9. Greater Western Sydney
10. Greater Western Sydney
11. Greater Western Sydney
12. Brisbane Lions
13. Greater Western Sydney
14. Greater Western Sydney
15. Richmond
16. Fremantle
17. Western Bulldogs
18. North Melbourne
19. Essendon
20. Fremantle
21. Sydney Swans (committed to Tom Mitchell as a father-son selection)
22. Carlton
23. West Coast
24. Gold Coast
25. St Kilda
26. Richmond

Priority selections
27. Adelaide
28. West Coast
29. Fremantle

Uncontracted player compensation selection
30. Brisbane Lions

Round two
31. Essendon
32. Geelong
33. Hawthorn
34. Geelong
35. St Kilda
36. Melbourne
37. St Kilda
38. Hawthorn
39. Western Bulldogs
40. North Melbourne
41. Adelaide
42. St Kilda
43. Sydney Swans
44. Carlton
45. Port Adelaide
46. Adelaide
47. Brisbane Lions
48. Geelong

Round three
49. Western Bulldogs
50. Collingwood
51. Port Adelaide
52. Melbourne
53. Hawthorn
54. Melbourne
55. Richmond
56. Greater Western Sydney
57. Western Bulldogs
58. Fremantle
59. Essendon
60. St Kilda
61. Sydney Swans
62. Carlton
63. West Coast
64. Adelaide
65. Collingwood
66. Geelong

Round four
67. Collingwood
68. St Kilda
69. Brisbane Lions
70. Western Bulldogs
71. Fremantle
72. Melbourne
73. Richmond
74. Fremantle
75. Western Bulldogs
76. North Melbourne
77. Essendon
78. St Kilda
79. Richmond
80. Carlton
81. West Coast
82. Hawthorn
83. Collingwood
84. Geelong

Round five
85. Greater Western Sydney
86. Gold Coast
87. Port Adelaide
88. Brisbane Lions
89. Adelaide
90. Melbourne
91. Richmond
92. Fremantle
93. Western Bulldogs
94. North Melbourne
95. Essendon
96. St Kilda
97. Sydney Swans
98. Carlton
99. West Coast
100. Hawthorn
101. Collingwood
102. Geelong

Rezbit

Swans seem to have had a reasonable draft week. Not really a big issue not having as many picks, Tom Mitchell seems like a gun and GWS have raided the draft anyway. Holy shit at all those picks.

jambo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125305/default.aspx

THE AFL has confirmed that the 2012 home and away season will be played over 23 rounds, with three 'multi-bye' rounds of only six games.

The reduced rounds - 11, 12 and 13 - will allow six teams to have a bye in each week of the three-week period.

The multi-bye format has been chosen over the traditional split round as a means of giving players a break during the season.

With the introduction of Greater Western Sydney as the competition's eighth non-Victorian team, all Victorian clubs will play a minimum of five matches outside the state.

And as previously announced, the Grand Final will return to its traditional spot on the last Saturday in September.

The League will release its full 2012 fixture on Friday 28 October.

Sounds good, I look forward to the full fixture release next week.

fisheyes

Fixture is out.

WHETHER you keep your footy fixture on the fridge or in your iPhone, AFL.com.au does the work for you and lists 10 games you should mark in your calendar to be sure to watch in 2012.

1. Round 1: Greater Western Sydney v Sydney Swans, March 24 at ANZ Stadium
We'll watch because it's meaningful footy and because we'll get our first proper look at Kevin Sheedy and the Giants. It's a gutsy move by the AFL to move the start of the season forward by a week to take on the NRL's opening week, and in its own back yard.

2. Round 1: Hawthorn v Collingwood, March 30 at the MCG
Hawthorn could (and probably should) have beaten Collingwood in the preliminary final and will spend the summer stewing over the one that got away. The Hawks' chance to atone comes straight away in a season-opener that should attract 75,000 to the MCG. They couldn't beat either Geelong or Collingwood in 2011 and must rectify this in 2012.

3. Round 2: North Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney, April 8, Blundstone Arena
You might still know it as the picturesque Bellerive Oval but the home of Tasmanian cricket has now gone corporate as well and in round two it will become the 38th venue in League history to host a match for premiership points as part of North's deal to play two matches a year in Hobart. It would be fitting if North's most famous Tasmanian supporter, former Australian Test captain Ricky Ponting, was on hand to toss the coin before the opening bounce.

4. Round 4: St Kilda v Fremantle, April 20 at Etihad Stadium
The architect of 'Saints Footy' and the Saints 'bubble' will now be trying to bring it all down. Ross Lyon stunned St Kilda by walking out on the club to take over at Fremantle and the battle of wits between he and Scott Watters (himself a Fremantle boy) will be fascinating. What sort of reception will Saints fans offer the man who nearly led them to two flags?

5. Round 5: Collingwood v Essendon, April 25 at the MCG
A great day and arguably the best day at the footy other than the preliminary finals and the Grand Final. Form doesn't always come into play on Anzac Day, but what will be a factor this time around is match conditioning. Anzac Day is a Wednesday in 2012 and both the Pies and the Bombers will have just four days to prepare. There will be plenty of tired gladiators come the final quarter.

6. Round 8: Collingwood v Geelong, May 18, at the MCG
Grand Final re-match. What more needs to be said?

7. Round 9: Greater Western Sydney v Essendon, May 26 at Skoda Stadium
The Giants will be the wandering gypsies of the AFL for the first half of the season. But they finally land at their proper home in round nine when they host Essendon at Skoda Stadium, formerly the Sydney Showgrounds. It will be Giants coach Kevin Sheedy against the club he led for 27 years and coached to four premierships and a master-pupil coaching battle with his long-time captain James Hird. The Giants might not be all that competitive, but opening round aside, this might be their biggest game for the year.

8. Round 12: West Coast v Carlton, June 14 at Patersons Stadium
The semi-final between these two clubs in 2011 was one of the best matches of 2011. The expectation is strong that these two clubs will again be in premiership contention in 2012, so this Thursday night game - one of three for the year - should be a cracker.

9. Round 14: St Kilda v North Melbourne, July 1, Etihad Stadium
These two sides just plain don't like each other. Not sure why. Not sure of the background. But the Kangas always build themselves to play the Saints, and are then put back in their box once more. Fair to say that if North can finally get over St Kilda this time, they might be on their way back to the finals.

10. Round 23: Geelong v Sydney, Date TBC at Simonds Stadium
Geelong's average winning margin on their own track in 2011 before the Swans ventured down the highway was 99 points and the Cats hadn't lost at home in 30 games. But in round 23, the Swans won by 13 points to snap the streak and they will head down there again for the final round of the 2012 with no fear of the venue whatsoever.

Port only get one game against GWS and one against the Suns. :(
Adelaide get to play GWS twice, the Suns twice, and Port twice. :(
Essendon get to spend their last 7 weeks at home. - EDIT: Scratch that one, my bad.
Collingwood actually have to travel - and 3 times mind you - in the last 6 rounds :eek:

Kerrby

Banned
I don't get this
9. Round 14: St Kilda v North Melbourne, July 1, Etihad Stadium
These two sides just plain don't like each other. Not sure why. Not sure of the background. But the Kangas always build themselves to play the Saints, and are then put back in their box once more. Fair to say that if North can finally get over St Kilda this time, they might be on their way back to the finals.

Typical AFL.com.au writing; ie pathetic.

West Coast have a bloody tough run at the tail end of the season :(.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Port only get one game against GWS and one against the Suns. :(
Adelaide get to play GWS twice, the Suns twice, and Port twice. :(
Essendon get to spend their last 7 weeks at home.
Collingwood actually have to travel - and 3 times mind you - in the last 6 rounds :eek:

1) They're trying to not hand you the wooden spoon
2) Good.
3) they play in adelaide in round 19
4) lol.

edit: I also like how they forget that anzac day will be hird vs buckley.

fisheyes

Kerrby said:
I don't get this

Typical AFL.com.au writing; ie pathetic.

West Coast have a bloody tough run at the tail end of the season :(.

Yeah, its pretty badly written, I only included it because to be perfectly honest i cannot find the fixture written as a whole (ie. not split by teams) anywhere to link that instead.

Also, wouldn't giving Port only 2 cracks at the new teams (the theoretical 'easy' games - and yes I know Port lost the same game last year) make them more likely to be 'handed the wooden spoon'?

guidop

If north can't make the finals next year we are hopeless. We play GWS twice, GCS twice, Collingwood once, Hawthorn once and Carlton once.

Jebus

guidop said:
If north can't make the finals next year we are hopeless. We play GWS twice, GCS twice, Collingwood once, Hawthorn once and Carlton once.

And Geelong once at Etihad. I'm ready to renew my membership already :)

jambo

Well Port are boned, first 4 matches we'll get pummeled and then we have a Showdown, so we might win 1 there, but coming off of 4 losses won't help.

And only 1 match against GWS and the Suns...

=[

Ydahs

I think the Saints have a very decent fixture, especially at the beginning. One game against the Pies and Geelong and Gold Coast twice.

Five or so of our final games are also played in Melbourne.

fisheyes

Another Port fan? We've pretty much got a whole game's attendance in here now.

And I would be very, very pleased if we can get the new Chad.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I can't wait to see GWS pick some weird arse players with their picks.

They have so many, they may aswell grab a few interesting characters that would normally slip to the lower end.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't really want to bump this thread for this though there was really no other place to ask. Was just wondering if there's going to be a new footy thread up soon since the NAB cup starts tonight. I did try searching but didn't see one up.

Jebus

In 30 mins I'll be off to see the rooboys play again... the off season seems to have come and gone quite quickly this year.

Disappointed to hear about LeCras' season ending knee injury though, he's a great player to watch. Hopefully someone else can step up in his place.

jambo

I started working on one, most of the formatting and styling is based off of the OP from this thread and I even borrowed a few links and a picture.

I just figured it would be good to get one up now, before the NAB Cup starts, so we have a place to discuss the game tonight.

If anyone wants to do it instead or maybe even send me some of the stuff they have done, just chuck me a PM.

EDIT: I accidentally posted the new thread, clicked submit instead of preview =S

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2012 |OT|

midonnay

swapped out Dustin Martin for Dangerfield in supercoach....

someone..... talk me out of it.... o.o;

lecras' and Nicoski's injuries didn't turn out too bad so far for West Coast....

Josh Hill has slotted in pretty well with Ashton Hams.

edit: hahaha fuck wrong thread........stupid google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom