• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 3 years, search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 officially ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
MH370: Underwater search for missing plane suspended - CNN
https://apple.news/Arqj9VPYVR1mH8TY420GzTg

The underwater search for Malaysia Airlines Flight370 has been suspended nearly three years after it vanished without a trace over the Indian Ocean, according to a joint statement from Chinese, Australian and Malaysian officials.

The three countries had been leading the search for MH370, which disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, with 239 people on board.

"Despite every effort using the best science available, cutting edge technology, as well as modeling and advice from highly skilled professionals who are the best in their field, unfortunately, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft," the statement said.

"The decision to suspend the underwater search has not been taken lightly nor without sadness."
Still can't get over that a modern commercial passenger plane can be lost like this.

I know this may seem kind of non sequitur, but one of the 2 missing ships from the Franklin Expedition was found fairly recently. Have the Malaysian authorities run out of resources?

Edit: Both ships, Terror and Erebus have since been found.

Pretty crazy how we'll never know what happened to this plane.

iGJtFhr.jpg
found it

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Just a reminder, MH370's captain had a flight simulator run in his home computer that took a plane into the south Indian ocean.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/28/asia/mh370-pilot-flight-simulator/

"The MH370 captain's flight simulator showed someone had plotted a course to the southern Indian Ocean," Joint Agency Coordination Center (JACC)
According to the magazine, the FBI analyzed hard drives from a flight simulator the pilot had built using Microsoft Flight Simulator X software. The FBI was able to recover data points from the program that pointed to the southern Indian Ocean

JoeMartin

I was in the Navy when this occurred and still remember all the speculation that it had landed in Diego Garcia. It didn't. I was on the island for the whole ordeal. There were a shitload of search and rescue ships porting there tho.

Audioboxer

Tough to spend all that time and come away unsuccessful. I mean you know it is somewhere in the ocean around that area, just so much searching and area to cover.

StayDead

What is the significance of this? If you don't mind me asking.

It's possible it was pilot suicide. If he was plotting a course to the middle of an ocean in a flight simulator then it's possible he wanted to do it IRL.

Like the guy who crashed deliberately into the mountains.

zugzug

not sure if it was this plane, but I enjoyed the rumors of it landing somewhere in a Russian controlled area and hidden or somesuch?

wasn't there a couple tv fiction stories about certain people on this plane that got it hijacked cuz of their knowledge about somesuch.

liquidtmd

Banned
Just a reminder, MH370's captain had a flight simulator run in his home computer that took a plane into the south Indian ocean.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/28/asia/mh370-pilot-flight-simulator/

As much as that would offer an explanation, there are number of things about this theory that also don't make sense.

I'm really not one for conspiracy theories but in lieu of facts that explain the whole thing, framing the pilot with a smoking gun like that also wouldn't surprise me.

I know this may seem kind of non sequitur, but one of the 2 missing ships from the Franklin Expedition was found fairly recently. Have the Malaysian authorities run out of resources?

Edit: Both ships, Terror and Erebus have since been found.

It's a joint investigation between China, Malaysia and Australia. Malaysia isn't the only one that's funding it.

The investigation's deadline was always 3 years. I forgot the reason why, but something to do with insurance claims etc I think.

Also there will be privately funded searches for the plane. Pretty sure of it.

Cranster

Banned
CNN really killed their credibility to alot of skeptics of mainstream media with the around the clock coverage of this story. Hell I can't even watch CNN anymore because of their stupidity on that coverage.

qPo0rpM.png

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Took them 73 years to find the titanic and that thing was huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom