• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After TLoU PT.2 Naughty Dog should tackle Blade Runner

INC

Metropolis is kind of a stretch tbh. It certainly served as inspiration for some of the creative minds that went on to create the proto-cyberpunk works. Late 70's-early 80's is when the genre was established.
Anime like AD police & Odeo 808 built on foundations and visual motifs laid by Akira and Blade Runner.

Want

MGSgfC3.jpg

Anyway, what are you talking about when you say it missed the point of the original?
Among other things...answering questions very intentionally left unanswered...
The existence of 2049 is more detrimental to the mystery and intrigue of the original than watching the theatrical cut and having Harrison Ford explain everything to you in a drab and monotone narration that was intentionally the worst performance he could muster in the hopes that the studio execs would scrap the idea of treating their audience like they're retarded.

End of the trilogy: Ellie boards the Ark along with the uninflected humans and animals in order to start a new cyberpunk civilization on Mars.

Then that game from that poster begins.

Sleepydays

Banned
I shudder at the thought of what a idealogue hack like Druckmann would do with that world.

A new BR game is maybe an idea we can revisit when his sort are driven out of positions of influence.

Keihart

Yeah, cyberpunk would be cool. But you know what would be cooler? Japanese Cyberpunk.
Gender? what the fuck is that?! in GoS Kusanagi can't even remember exactly who she was before, all the traces lost, all that remains is the ghost. What are humans even?
No more lettuce, guacamole, bacon and tomato discussions, there is no vegetables when we cyberpunk hard enough.

Last edited:

Doom85

Oh fuck yes, they would murder this franchise in the best way possible.

Pretty hard to murder something that Alien 3 decapitated, Alien 4 pissed on, AVP2 buried sixty feet under, Prometheus resurrected as a zombie and then Alien Covenant disintegrated it. And then when the director of District 9 said, "you know, I can't guarantee this will work, but I might be able to redeem this series' good name" Ridley Scott responded with, "piss off, my career is going downhill and if I'm going down then I'm taking this series with me!"

wipeout364

I think this is a terrible idea. Naughty Dog is way to much of a politically correct studio to make any kind of thoughtful narration. Their take on any topic is just going to be the current left wing take of how things should be.

the author Philip K Dick of Blade Runner would never have such a simplistic view of the world and would never be defined by flavor of the day thinking. For all intents and purposes he was a deeply troubled individual with borderline psychiatric issues.

Finally Blade Runner to me is about conversations, questions about purpose and reality as were all his books. Blade runner Would be far better served by the RPG or walking simulator format then a game where you kill hundreds of people.

Lloyd22

i watched some scenes from this movie, it looks different comparing to cyberpunk, and yes i would like to see noughty dog making a game like this movie.

Zannegan

Don't you think it's a bit strange that you won't watch BR because you're afraid it will change your perception of 2049, but you want a game studio committed to "controversial" storytelling decisions that "you are not ready for" to pick up where the movie left off? Sequels can and have retroactively tarnished great original stories--ask anyone who's seen the Matrix "trilogy" or read all the Bernard Samson spy novels by Len Deighton (trust me, stop after one).

As for the movies [Unpopular Opinion Warning] having watched both Blade Runners--the first several times thanks to fanboy friends--I'd say go ahead and sit through the director's cut. It will give 2049 some extra layers, but it won't damage your perceptions of the movie in any way. In fact, it will probably only make you appreciate it more by comparison.

Keep your expectations low though, and probably have some caffeine handy to keep you awake. It's a revered sci-fi classic with an interesting visual design, but its ability to shock and amaze or mess with your mind must have been eaten up by imitators a long time ago. For me, it is just a slog to sit through. I disliked it so much (multiple times) that I straight up refused to watch 2049 for years in spite of all the recommendations.

EDIT: "hated" was a bit strong

Last edited:

jadefire66

Played the 1997 Blade Runner game last year for the first time, loved it. Don't want any more modern games by shitty AAA companies.

And a +1 for "2049 sucks". Absolutely hated that movie and stopped watching at half.

REE Machine

Banned
The rumour mill states they potentially might be doing a futuristic new ip that is first person where you play two different characters; one a scientist, the other a criminal recently out of prison.

Top Bottom