• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empire II Definitive Edition will be out November 14

Mista

Banned
About

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition celebrates the 20th anniversary of one of the most popular strategy games ever with stunning 4K Ultra HD graphics, a new and fully remastered soundtrack, and brand-new content, “The Last Khans” with three new campaigns and 4 new civilizations.

Explore all the original campaigns like never before as well as the best-selling expansions, spanning over 200 hours of gameplay and 1,000 years of human history. Head online to challenge other players with 35 different civilizations in your quest for world domination throughout the ages.

Choose your path to greatness with this definitive remaster to one of the most beloved strategy games of all time.

Key Features

• Celebrate the 20th anniversary of one of the most popular strategy games ever with this definitive remastered edition.
  • Stunning 4K Ultra HD graphics and fully remastered audio.
  • Enjoy the complete content collection, plus all-new content, “The Last Khans.”
  • Over 200 hours of gameplay across 1,000 years of human history.
  • Head online to challenge other players with 35 different civilizations in your quest for world domination throughout the ages.
  • Spectator mode and native streaming support.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Collz69

This has been released today and is also available on Xbox game pass for PC, I pre-installed it last night, can’t wait to play this, I have the original on steam but this HD version looks good.

“How do I turn this thing on” 😉

Last edited:

Bkdk

Still one of the best game of all time, never been this hype to play a Microsoft first party game probably since AOE3, sadly that was a disappointment. Also hoping big PC gaming focused announcements on XO19. So glad they are putting effort back to pc again.

Lmao the RAM requirements. I have 8 GB and a 970 and it crashes while loading with the HD textures on :messenger_hushed:
Disabling them allowed me to run the benchmark and I barely got above the minimum rating for online play.

I bought this although I never liked AoE. This version feels closer to Rise of Nations visually and has some instantly obvious quality of life changes, like being able to queue both units and technologies and better pathfinding.
I'll compare it with the 2013 version tomorrow to decide if I should refund it.
It just made me want to play Rise of Nations again lol

Justin9mm

I have a gaming PC but don't really game on PC anymore. I have GamePass for my X. Do I already get access to this on my PC on GamePass if I log in to Microsoft etc. Sorry, I have no idea how the PC version of GamePass works?

Edit: Ok, a quick Google search let me know the easiest best way is to download the Xbox app on my PC for Win 10 rather than look for GamePass games through the store once logged in.

Last edited:

Hudo

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere already but there's a bit of new footage in this marketing video (probably b-roll from the trailer footage):

HE1NZ

Banned
I wasn't sure these Definite Editions were necessary, but they really nailed the new look of AoE 2. It's looks both beautiful and true to the original. Changes to sound design make it feel like a recent game. For cheap prices that they go on Steam I picked both and loving it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watching that wonder comparison video it looks like the collapsing animations alone are the reason you need 16 GB for the UHD graphics, damn.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Any danger of a actual Xbox console release? That certainly would push me over the edge and cause me to run out to buy a XSX.

SinDelta

To be honest seeing the thread title this is releasing in 2019 -
iu

AoE 2 is amazing still.

Last edited:

BlackTron

There are too many versions of this game.

I got the steam HD version from a few years back...AoE2 came with my 400Mhz PC back in 1999 so this is a very nostalgic game for me.

But how many versions do we need, hell I still have the old CD lol. So many re-releases of such an old game seems weird to me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There are too many versions of this game.

I got the steam HD version from a few years back...AoE2 came with my 400Mhz PC back in 1999 so this is a very nostalgic game for me.

But how many versions do we need, hell I still have the old CD lol. So many re-releases of such an old game seems weird to me.

We need one, the definitive edition, as it really is definitive.

Hostile_18

Banned
Any danger of a actual Xbox console release? That certainly would push me over the edge and cause me to run out to buy a XSX.

I'd 100% buy any Age of Empires game on XBOX. Be careful though theres a PC contingent that would rather die than have "their" game be playable to others with "inferior" controls.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'd 100% buy any Age of Empires game on XBOX. Be careful though theres a PC contingent that would rather die than have "their" game be playable to others with "inferior" controls.

It's more that the controller is just terribly suited for a RTS like this, and ultimately you're playing about 10% of what the game actually is.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Get in. Cant wait to resurrect a few threads if the controls are half decent. I got so much flack for wanting an RTS game on a console 😁😁.

New consoles don't need to worry about that. Both the PS5 and XSX/S (and the ps4 and one) have KB and Mouse options if the developers decided to use them.

Planet Coaster has just released on consoles and has KB&M support so you don't need to mess about with the controller. See no reason why they couldn't add the same support for AoE on Xbox.

Top Bottom