• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Essential November 2023: Aliens Fireteam Elite, Mafia II: Definitive Edition, Dragon Ball: The Breakers

Sony Pictures Core benefit for PlayStation Plus members

We’re pleased to see strong engagement for Sony Pictures Core since launching earlier this month on PS5 and PS4 consoles. Sony Pictures Core provides access for players to buy or rent up to 2,000 movies* straight from their console, and as a PlayStation Plus member, you’ll get additional benefits. Starting on November 1 all PlayStation Plus members will receive a 15% discount on all content available for purchase and rental in Sony Pictures Core during the month of November.

Lastly, we hope you caught the premiere of the new mind-bending interactive streaming series Silent Hill: Ascension which made its debut yesterday. In addition to the interactive series, a weekly compilation of audience-influenced storylines will be packaged into TV episodes, and PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe members will have exclusive access to all weekly compilation episodes 24-hours before they debut on other platforms. PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe members can catch the first one early on November 8 at noon PST local time, before its wide release on November 9.**

Last edited:

Tsaki

FyMj1pd.gif

GHound

Bro. Breakers? Just say you fucked my mom like everyone else and quit with these insults that actually hurt.
Starting on November 1 all PlayStation Plus members will receive a 15% discount on all content available for purchase and rental in Sony Pictures Core during the month of November.

Lastly, we hope you caught the premiere of the new mind-bending interactive streaming series Silent Hill: Ascension which made its debut yesterday. In addition to the interactive series, a weekly compilation of audience-influenced storylines will be packaged into TV episodes, and PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe members will have exclusive access to all weekly compilation episodes 24-hours before they debut on other platforms. PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe members can catch the first one early on November 8 at noon PST local time, before its wide release on November 9.**

Getting real Xbox E3 2013 "TV, TV,TV!" vibes.

Aion002

Nice for Mafia 2, but Breakers is probably the worst Dragon Ball game ever made and this Aliens game is extremely boring.

Aenima

I gave them the benefit of the doubt to decide if i resub or not untill the end of November. After the price increase adding only 1 PS5 game dosent cut it anymore. Will wait to see how is the PS+ Extra linup, but the Essential tier this month has nothing for me.

Last edited:
Is there a compilation website that puts all of the PS plus essential monthlies next to their Metacritic rating?

I want to know how the average is looking.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
barf. They raised prices to give us this?
It does kind of make sense. They're in heavy cost cutting mode right now. Lay-offs, raise prices on PS+ all seem like they're likely the result of the same core problem. I don't necessarily think raising PS+ prices automatically goes into PS+ output. I think they just had to raise prices now for other reasons. But who knows, just looking at the other recent news that's the sense I get.

Extra usually has some good drops, and Essential was on fire for several months. Could just be an off month.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
PlayStation exec Eric Lempel offers some degree of insight. To its credit, the publication asks Lempel directly about consumer criticism of the aforementioned price increase, to which he responds: "We want to make PlayStation Plus great”

Confused Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is the reason that they’re greedy bastards or is it another reason?
I mean, every company is to some extent. I think they're projected to miss their revenue targets by a large amount and I honestly have no clue why. They seem like they're the top dog in gaming these days. But I just see layoffs and a company wide need to cut some costs ASAP, so it's not a huge mystery why PS+ sees a large price increase as well. They need money for some reason. That's all anyone can see from the outside.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I mean, every company is to some extent. I think they're projected to miss their revenue targets by a large amount and I honestly have no clue why. They seem like they're the top dog in gaming these days. But I just see layoffs and a company wide need to cut some costs ASAP, so it's not a huge mystery why PS+ sees a large price increase as well. They need money for some reason. That's all anyone can see from the outside.
I’m only jesting of course. I understand they need to make as much revenue as possible, they’re a business.

I’m a bit disillusioned as to what is happening at PS right now. Definitely the chase of GaaS is disappointing for me personally as someone who has basically zero interest in multiplayer or playing a “lifestyle” game. I know they have good single player experiences they haven’t revealed yet, and that everyone will forget this when they drop some quality trailers and definitive timelines hopefully sooner rather than later.

The bungie acquisition is the one that is currently looking like a raw deal and a mistake in my eyes. Seems like there are definitely politics happening between the studios especially with bungie dictating to other teams what passes the quality mark. Imagine how many interesting AAA single player titles they could have funded with 3.6B instead we get tweets telling Spanish/Portuguese speakers that their language is wrong and they need to fix it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I’m only jesting of course. I understand they need to make as much revenue as possible, they’re a business.

I’m a bit disillusioned as to what is happening at PS right now. Definitely the chase of GaaS is disappointing for me personally as someone who has basically zero interest in multiplayer or playing a “lifestyle” game. I know they have good single player experiences they haven’t revealed yet, and that everyone will forget this when they drop some quality trailers and definitive timelines hopefully sooner rather than later.

The bungie acquisition is the one that is currently looking like a raw deal and a mistake in my eyes. Seems like there are definitely politics happening between the studios especially with bungie dictating to other teams what passes the quality mark. Imagine how many interesting AAA single player titles they could have funded with 3.6B instead we get tweets telling Spanish/Portuguese speakers that their language is wrong and they need to fix it.
Worst case scenario I could see is that they're in rough waters for the immediate near future (2 years?). Long term there's no question Sony is the dominant player.
It just sounds like they've been hit with numerous substantial delays. Shit happens. MS had the "wait until next year" mantra for years, but the truth is - I still thought that made sense. Some of this shit takes 6 years. A pivot can't really happen quickly in the AAA or AAAA space.

Codes 208

Well i suppose free breakers is coming out just in time for the new broly raider dlc

But idk, they kinda fucked it up after changing how the raider queue works

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Weak lineup. I've platinumed Mafia 2 only because I love the first two entries, but it had its fair share of glitches, massive popup and unstable framerate. One of the bad remasters out there.

The other two don't interest me at all. Go play Dark Descent if you're looking for an awesome Aliens game.

OuterLimits

Metacritic scores:
Mafia 2: 72
Aliens Firestorm: 67
Dragon Ball: 57

Okay, third month in a row the games given have been trash. The increase in price makes this even more laughable.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Breakers is having a really tremendous anniversary so it going on plus is great. Hopefully we get a good influx of players.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Aliens is fun but I've had it since release, plus nowadays it's almost impossible to find other people to play it with. It's kind of a dead game but I'm expecting that this will breathe some life into it for a couple of weeks so I would recommend playing it as soon as it hits PS Plus if you ever hope to play the campaign with real people instead of useless NPC androids.

Aliens is fun but I've had it since release, plus nowadays it's almost impossible to find other people to play it with. It's kind of a dead game
I've been playing it pretty much every day the last month or so and I find people to play with every game. I do have crossplay turned on and I use quick play though but that's fine for what I want to do.

Top Bottom