• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ageia's CELLFACTOR Demo (PPU Req. ?)

Borys

Banned
Old?

Did a search and found nothing.

Anyways Ageia's CELLFACTOR demo is out.

http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096485099/

1. System Requirements

Super (Run "CellFactor High Graphics"):
2.8 GHz Pentium 4
1024 MB system RAM
512 MB GeForce 7800 (runs HDR at ideal framerates), 7800 SLI, 6800 SLI, ATI X1800 or ATI X1900
AGEIA PhysX Hardware with 2.4.9 driver installed

Recommended (Run "CellFactor Low Graphics"):
2 GHz Pentium 4
1024 MB system RAM
256 MB GeForce 6800 or Radeon X800 (game will scale down the Texture Size to 50%)

Minimum (Run "CellFactor Low Graphics" and change in-game resolution to 640x480):
1.5 GHz Pentium 4
512 MB system RAM
128 MB Radeon 9700 (game will scale down the Texture Size to 25%)

I can't download it ATM so I really don't know whether it REQUIRES a PhysX card or not.

Forsete

Gold Member
Borys said:
I can't download it ATM so I really don't know whether it REQUIRES a PhysX card or not.

Yes its required, but its possible to get the (old?) demo to work without a PPU. I downloaded a newer version of the demo and could not get the workaround to work, so I suppose they patched the workaround. So if you want to try it out get the older demo.

This could be the older demo.
http://www.gamershell.com/download_13618.shtml

Kabouter

I played the older demo, without a PPU ofcourse (I'm not paying 250 euro for that bullshit). But I was surprised by how fun the demo actually is, it rocks when you play it with 3 others. So much fun annihilating the other team with a big container or flying around with the physics power-up.

Great demo, I want it as a full game.

element

I played it, since I have a PhysX card. It is a gimmick. and all the games I have tried that can use PhysX run slower then without.

Mrbob

element said:
I played it, since I have a PhysX card. It is a gimmick. and all the games I have tried that can use PhysX run slower then without.

Too bad. You think ATI's crossfire has a better chance of pushing physics down the road in game?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GPUs are in about as effective a position as PhysX is IMO, technically (if the claims of nVidia/ATi are true), and have a number of other practical advantages (cost, seemingly). PhysX trumpets its capability to provide for "gameplay physics", but the demands of minimum specifications curtails that advantage signficantly. Unless GPU-enabled physics turns out to be technically impotent or there's some crazy issues with it that we're not aware of yet, my money would be on the GPU in the heel of the hunt.

Top Bottom