• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys confirms Tokyo Xanadu details - Vita = Summer, PS4/PC = Fall (Ex+ version)

Dio

Banned
Anywhere, apparently and bingo, THAT is the problem here. *eye daggers every non-Xanadu Next-owning Steam user*

It's a vanishingly small number of people that have this problem, but I actually imported the physical copy of Xanadu Next years ago and played it with a fan translation ages ago so I didn't rebuy it on Steam.

I might rebuy it some day just for the QOL programming and UI improvements, but not right now.

pf6uCaY.jpg

Anywhere, apparently and bingo, THAT is the problem here. *eye daggers every non-Xanadu Next-owning Steam user*

I was interested in Xanadu Next until I read a review that basically says "the story is spread really thin over 20 hours of dungeon crawling". What I was hoping for is something like Vagrant Story.

duckroll

I was interested in Xanadu Next until I read a review that basically says "the story is spread really thin over 20 hours of dungeon crawling". What I was hoping for is something like Vagrant Story.

It is actually a lot like Vagrant Story. Except instead of a badass female agent with a tight ass following after you, there's a childhood friend who makes you lunch. Okay I guess it's not that much like Vagrant Story. But it is.

Ten years after Xanadu Next, Falcom released this image to tease a new Xanadu game:

http://i.imgur.com/l226TME.jpg[MG]

And this is what we ended up with:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EgaXYbb.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The idol unit seems like such a minuscule part of the game though that it seems disingenuous to represent the entire game that way.

But like I said if it's a dealbreaker for you than so be it. Just kinda shitty that people can't even find out what this game is inbetween the argument you started lol

Dio

Banned
The idol unit seems like such a minuscule part of the game though that it seems disingenuous to represent the entire game that way.

But like I said if it's a dealbreaker for you than so be it. Just kinda shitty that people can't even find out what this game is inbetween the argument you started lol

I can summarize it, I think.

A third-person action RPG where you switch between playable characters, but you only ever play with one character on the field - they don't trail behind you as AI. The social/NPC interaction/world is Persona-esque.

The combat is fast and based upon weaknesses, so you would want to switch to a fist blunt character if the enemy is weak to blunt damage, for example. Rolling, dashing, dodging, air attacks, supers, team attacks, et cetera.

Hope this helps.

preta

The story in XN is told in a very unusual way. It requires some active participation - the majority of it is finding tablets and manuscripts for your companion to decipher, then trying to figure out their relation to current events. If you don't do this and only judge the story by its cutscenes, it might seem to be spread very thin, but that's really not the ideal way to play. I certainly found it to be a well-told and interesting story.

I really do think XN is, overall, one of Falcom's very best games.

It's a vanishingly small number of people that have this problem, but I actually imported the physical copy of Xanadu Next years ago and played it with a fan translation ages ago so I didn't rebuy it on Steam.

I might rebuy it some day just for the QOL programming and UI improvements, but not right now.

You may live. :p

It kinda is in an unnerving number of ways, except the Jun Akiyama-directed loveliness is backstory rather than an intermittent companion.

Back on the subject, put me down for the PC version if the port's good despite the idol gunk.

While we're on the subject, though, it would be nice if Aksys could include Japanese text in the Steam version. That would make me happy and bypass my personal issue.

I'd really love that. I'm learning Japanese, and trying to play more games in Japanese, but being able to continue to support localization efforts (and avoid buying marked up online shop cards and/or avoid importing costs) would be great. So far it's mostly visual novels that allow for language switching.

I'd really love that. I'm learning Japanese, and trying to play more games in Japanese, but being able to continue to support localization efforts (and avoid buying marked up online shop cards and/or avoid importing costs) would be great. So far it's mostly visual novels that allow for language switching.

For what it's worth, 3 out of 4 of Aksys Steam releases all seem to include japanese text as an option based on thier store pages, so here's hoping.

duckroll

It does, but I want to clarify that these scenes don't really have a romantic element, unlike some in Cold Steel.

Damn that makes it even more pointless. Why would I want to waste my time spending it with a fellow party member if I can't pat their heads at the end of it?

It does, but I want to clarify that these scenes don't really have a romantic element, unlike some in Cold Steel.

Yeah. It actually addresses a common complaint in the Cold Steel threads in that all of the party members are left "available" for Rean romantically.

TX sort of pairs off party members and develops their relationships within the group independent of Kou and the others. and again these aren't explicitly romantic either to my knowledge.

preta

Damn that makes it even more pointless. Why would I want to waste my time spending it with a fellow party member if I can't pat their heads at the end of it?

Fear not, you'll get plenty of head patting, second only to CS2.

Yeah. It actually addresses a common complaint in the Cold Steel threads in that all of the party members are left "available" for Rean romantically.

TX sort of pairs off party members and develops their relationships within the group independent of Kou and the others. and again these aren't explicitly romantic either to my knowledge.

Yeah, this is correct. It's something I wish we'd see more often.

Taruranto

The story in XN is told in a very unusual way. It requires some active participation - the majority of it is finding tablets and manuscripts for your companion to decipher, then trying to figure out their relation to current events. If you don't do this and only judge the story by its cutscenes, it might seem to be spread very thin, but that's really not the ideal way to play. I certainly found it to be a well-told and interesting story.

I really do think XN is, overall, one of Falcom's very best games.

Yeah, I really like the story in XN. The way it is told too. Very underrated.

Too bad it seems modern Falcom is interested in Kiseki'd all their stories.

The point is that Falcom always go on the common manga/anime tropes of the time.

Adol confirmed for getting stuck into a MMORPG in Ys 9. (Since we can't Isekai Ys)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ten years after Xanadu Next, Falcom released this image to tease a new Xanadu game:

l226TME.jpg

And this is what we ended up with:

EgaXYbb.jpg

Idols in the 90s

hqdefault.jpg

Are a direct ancestor to the second image you posted

Hell if we want to go further back, Macross itself was a form of idol worship itself.

That became much more popular in the decades since in mainstream culture, and anime and manga at points take that from real world as well as that previous media culture.

Its nothing new trajectory wise TBH.

People have been saying that Falcom has never been strangers to adopting things from the time period, its just that before, they didn't have the technical expression to really give a story or aesthetics as they would have given they ha the tools they now do to express 'that'

Just realised that i had a bunch of tokyo xanadu Ex+ pictures on my capture card folder.

Well , let's share a least one non-spoilery

The game , on PS4 looks like this.

Also "head pats are overrated" IMO , here i said it !!

The physical limited editions are really cool and I was somewhat interested in this game back when the jp trailers were first revealed.

But the lack of English audio is making me consider just waiting till it gets cheap. I have a pretty long backlog anyway...

Durante

Localization teams are pretty much attacked no what matter they do.

Come out with dub only, people complain about the baka gaijin voices, come out with Japanese voices only, people suddenly complain about not being read.
You do realize that there is a pretty obvious third option here that you are not mentioning?

I mean, I'm more than fine with just Japanese audio personally, but what you present there is a very obvious false dilemma.

PK Gaming

200% psyched for this until I found out that it was JP audio only

Still gonna get it, but man why couldn't Xseed get this

:<

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You do realize that there is a pretty obvious third option here that you are not mentioning?

I mean, I'm more than fine with just Japanese audio personally, but what you present there is a very obvious false dilemma.

You mean dual audio in all cases irrespective of how much development expenditure that puts on budget releases?

I love dual audio, but i could never put that down as a mandatory feature considering we have heard from publishers before about it not being feasible depending on the project and who they are dealing with.

I dont feel like boycotting everything is a good solution for these circumstances

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just realised that i had a bunch of tokyo xanadu Ex+ pictures on my capture card folder.

Well , let's share a least one non-spoilery

The game , on PS4 looks like this.

Also "head pats are overrated" IMO , here i said it !!
That is literally Emma from Cold Steel with a different hair style and color.

Parsnip

In for PC. Shames that it's Japanese dub only, but I'll live.
I wonder who's doing the PC work, does Aksys have their own PC team or anything like that?
What's the extra stuff in EX+ version? Answered earlier in the thread already.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh, that is Towa. Like literally (not slang literally but literally literally) Towa.

I guess Towa and Emma look very similar.

Durante

In for PC. Shames that it's Japanese dub only, but I'll live.
I wonder who's doing the PC work, does Aksys have their own PC team or anything like that?
What's the extra stuff in EX+ version? Answered earlier in the thread already.
So far, Aksys worked with Abstraction Games if additional PC work was needed, as far as I know. They do a good job.

Acid08

Banned
I don't usually harp on localizations because I realize it can be pretty thankless work and is often very difficult and time consuming.

The lack of a dub is heartbreaking for me though, especially from a Falcom game. A big reason I fell so in love with Cold Steel 1 and 2 was their fantastic English script and dub. I honestly don't think I would have liked those games as much without them so this news sucks a bunch. So much so that I'm questioning whether I want to buy it or not.

I know that an Aksys dub may not have been as good as XSEED's work but still. I've grown to really appreciate dubs in the last few years, even somewhat questionable ones like Danganronpa 1. Even that became charming to me though and eventually I came to really like it. Before I just never really thought about it and maybe took it for granted. Bad on my part because I really love good dubs now.

I don't hate subtitles. I watch subtitled anime and subtitled movies from all regions. I can get down with subtitles. This in particular stings though, maybe because my expectations were already set before which is usually a mistake.

Taruranto

Maybe with the glasses, but let's be honest, she's missing the essential thing that people always notice about Emma, I'm talking about her
cat.

SolVanderlyn

sNOOan2.png

I mean whatever you say you guys

They look almost like color swaps with different hairstyles to me

Fancolors

Some questions for people who may have played the unlocalized version:

Can you headpat Towa in this game?

I need to know.

And in a scale of Rein to Estelle, how interesting is the main character?

Top Bottom