• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

ezekial45

Banned
I'm delighted that WW is picking up momentum. I was worried a couple weeks ago when the numbers for its debut were a bit low, so seeing all these screenings sell out is exciting.

DCEU needs a win bad, and honestly, given how things are now in the world, it definitely feels right that a movie like this turns out to be really good and successful. I'm looking forward to checking it out next week.

Oh look, the concern trolling and equivocating I mentioned earlier just keeps happening. Why don't you take your 'concern' to where it actually matters? Why aren't you saying "Man, it sucks that women feel so compelled to wall themselves off from men so they can enjoy a feminist superhero in an environment that isn't hostile; maybe I need to gather my people(men) and set them straight". But nah...instead you wanna go the concern trolling route because you think women are being divisive. As if men aren't the one causing the stink to begin with.

I didn't know women were afraid to go to theaters...

Sunster

I need to be included in everything always so I rate this as sketchy. even if I have no interest in partaking I demand an invitation. this is male genocide. #humanist #gamergate

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Man of Steel: Hans Zimmer
Batman V Superman: Hans Zimmer
Suicide Squad: uhhh
Wonder Woman: Rupert Gregson-Williams

So yeah I mean, a bit of concern.

I won't defend many things about the DCEU, but the Man of Steel soundtrack is one of them. It was fantastic.

Nepenthe

I won't defend many things about the DCEU, but the Man of Steel soundtrack is one of them. It was fantastic.

I felt like one big thing that bugged me was the awesome Arcade leitmotif was overused in one single context- that really hard, bombastic rendition of it. I like it, but I felt they overused it everywhere possible and I'm like "Dude, your Lion King soundtrack had more subtlety."

Faux progressivism is the new philanthropy. Empty gestures with no goal but making money.

You seem annoyed.

Ponn

Banned
Go ahead and defend your claim that women feel compelled to wall themselves off. I just see a publicity stunt.

If its just a publicity stunt why are so many (vocal MRA's) men getting triggered by it? Something that doesn't effect them in the least bit.

Fuchsdh

Oh look, the concern trolling and equivocating I mentioned earlier just keeps happening. Why don't you take your 'concern' to where it actually matters? Why aren't you saying "Man, it sucks that women feel so compelled to wall themselves off from men so they can enjoy a feminist superhero in an environment that isn't hostile; maybe I need to gather my people(men) and set them straight". But nah...instead you wanna go the concern trolling route because you think women are being divisive. As if men aren't the one causing the stink to begin with.

So I'm derailing things, but you're the one saying I'm responsible for the actions of everyone who shares my sex.

....Right.

Nepenthe

Go ahead and defend your claim that women feel compelled to wall themselves off. I just see a publicity stunt.

As a woman, I generally don't feel all that welcome at nerd gatherings of people who share my interests because there's a misogyny problem in nerd culture. In the case of open online interaction such as gaming, I don't make my gender all that apparent in my profiles because I can't be bothered with the inevitability of harassment. The fact that men are shitting on this and acting excessively cynical is, like, the problem distilled in its purest form.

If its just a publicity stunt why are so many (vocal MRA's) men getting triggered by it? Something that doesn't effect them in the least bit.
To be fair to Locks point, if this were a publicity stunt, factoring in the reaction of the people pissed about it would probably play into the publicity of it.

Everyone knows that people getting angry at something is going to get you more publicity than simply doing something nice.

Nepenthe

They are offering a solution to an imaginary problem disguised as a "unique experience". Is there some Nationwide problem of men ruining movie going experiences that I'm not aware of. This ain't fucking feminism. It's marketing.

Their official press release is this:

The most iconic superheroine in comic book history finally has her own movie, and what better way to celebrate than with an all-female screening?

Apologies, gentlemen, but we're embracing our girl power and saying ”No Guys Allowed" for one special night at the Alamo Ritz. And when we say ”People Who Identify As Women Only," we mean it. Everyone working at this screening -- venue staff, projectionist, and culinary team -- will be female.

So lasso your geeky girlfriends together and grab your tickets to this celebration of one of the most enduring and inspiring characters ever created.

They were not offering it as a solution to any problem. They're celebrating the biggest superheroine's return to the big screen and subsequently women by hosting a Ladies Night on a few screens per theater.

And yet this has you up in arms.

These showings have sold out very quickly, suggesting that women are welcoming the option to go to movie screenings where there will be no men. Theaters-full of women.
Oh I don't doubt there are women who are falling for this shit. I'm just wondering why it's a thing in the first place.

They are offering a solution to an imaginary problem disguised as a "unique experience". Is there some Nationwide problem of men ruining movie going experiences that I'm not aware of. This ain't fucking feminism. It's marketing.
Oh no. A theater that exist to make money should feel bad they are making money. Oh no.

Apharmd

Yeah no. I know way too many girls that get harassed and bothered, that I know this is legit a cool thing Alamo Drafthouse is doing. There shouldn't be a need to question this.

Period.

Some people take ethics in movie screenings seriously. Sorry you don't.

A theater, out of the thousands of theaters out there, has a gender-specific screening for obvious reasons that is preventing absolutely nobody from watching the film on opening day.

Yeah, I dunno.

edit: was obviously a joke... ah hell.

FyreWulff

business meets market demand by women for women only screenings

dudes like "but what about my feelings this is fake why would they need this they're being tricked into spending money on something they want"

Imm0rt4l

So I'm derailing things, but you're the one saying I'm responsible for the actions of everyone who shares my sex.

....Right.
I didn't say you were derailing, I'm saying you're pushing some fake ass egalitarian bullshit...like most guys who either don't understand the appeal of this or cant empathize. How the fuck are ladies nights "iffy"?

zelas

Now that they've put me in a similar position that my white counterparts have found themselves in (rarely), I can confirm there isn't a hint of hypocrisy pushing me to shed tears. This is actually a pretty cool idea and I'd would like to see similar screenings.

Nepenthe

No they shouldn't. But let's not pretend it's anything more than what it is. Marketing.

It's also a reaffirmation of their values, which clearly piss you off for some reason. If there was an Alamo near me, I'd buy two tickets; one for me and one for you in spirit

They were not offering it as a solution to any problem. They're celebrating the biggest superheroine's return to the big screen and subsequently women by hosting a Ladies night on a few screens per theater.

And yet this has you up in arms.

Plus this film is directed by a woman, and the only 2nd woman to have ever directed a film with a 100+ million budget.

Alavard

Oh I don't doubt there are women who are falling for this shit. I'm just wondering why it's a thing in the first place.

Ah, yes, women are 'falling for it'. They don't have agency of their own to make a choice for something they're actually interested in.

I'm sure all the men concerned over this have been battling clubs who let women get in free and/or free drinks, or those numerous Michaels functions where they have women only stationery clubs/classes.

I'm sure you dudes have been fighting that good fight over these things for years right and this totally isn't a "what about me!" moment yes?

I propose that those outraged dudes organize men only screenings of the film Snatched, really stick it to those troublesome womenfolk.

Nepenthe

Plus this film is directed by a woman, and the only 2nd woman to have ever directed a film with a 100+ million budget.

Oh really? Well, now I'm that much more obligated to see it. Can't believe I'm this hype over a DCEU film.

Ah, yes, women are 'falling for it'. They don't have agency of their own to make a choice for something they're actually interested in.

We're just a nice dessert.

Top Bottom