• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2: 11 Minutes of New Gameplay - IGN First

zeldaring

Banned
Those who are expecting an action game will be disappointed. This game will be all about story and atmosphere and im all here for it
I don't know I think the action will be great. the dodging and shooting look really good and this probably just early game before shit gets crazy.

I'm interested. I really enjoyed Alan Wake 1 a whole lot. I like what they've shown, looks like they are building on Control's U.I. elements and direction. Not exactly the most exciting showing I'd say for a preview of a desiccated franchise, but I'm glad to have it around regardless. Remedy has been a very consistently solid studio since Max Payne, even if Quantum Break was very underwhelming. I'm hopeful they'll deliver a good Alan Wake experience. "It's not a lake, it's an ocean."

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Those who are expecting an action game will be disappointed. This game will be all about story and atmosphere and im all here for it

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Montauk

Yeah, we definitely don’t have enough games that have had their back broken on the altar of story because their developers have pretensions to be filmmakers.

We really do have a distinct lack of AAA story and “atmosphere” focused games. Oof, not many of those about. Not many games with impressive graphics either.

Every bit of slow walking to show off the graphics (ooh wow) and the “atmosphere” every bit of weird stilted talking, the detective talking to herself, every bit of fiddling with evidence and that UI, every slow pan around the character, the identical over the shoulder cam every one of these damn games has and lastly the gameplay just made me roll my eyes with its boring predictability.

Add in the worrying apparent usage of live-action footage featuring dogshit acting in the game and I’ve cooled on this one a lot.

I am not impressed by walking slow to show off your fancy graphics anymore. Get to the point.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Alan Wake's combat loop was just so dull. While we haven't seen a ton of it in the sequel's released footage, it seems like they are increasing the tension with the Taken's ability to dash. The enemies also appear to have toned down the amount of enemies you encounter at once and upped the health of those enemies (maybe a little hard to tell considering the lack of headshots). This could all change of course in later encounters in the game, but what they've shown so far looks wholly uninteresting. Based on the reveal, I was expecting a harder shift towards survival horror but it really seems more inline with the original which didn't give me many scares if any at all.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I actually played and beat Alan wake I mean it’s good I’m gonna wait for a sale on Alan wake 2

My policy with horror games they less I know the better, so I'm not gonna watch the footage but I'm hoping they improve enemy variety. I enjoyed first game but man half way through game the enemies become very boring to fight against and kind lost all fear factor.
Yeah, that was one of my biggest criticisms from the first game.

KXVXII9X

I think if this game was released several years ago, I would have been more impressed. Parts of it look great, but it doesn't exactly stand out within its genre. A lot of these third person action games feel very standardized, like they are all using the same template. The up-close, third person placed to the left of the screen with the usually pose and walk. The characters talking a lot to themselves to serve as hints and spill exposition. It looks like Resident Evil 4 Remake a little with the visuals.

Again, parts of it look great and there are a few interesting things they are doing like the whole live action dynamic and mind-bending tricks, but I find the trailers shown overall (aside from the last Alan Wake Segment) to be dull. It feels like some areas like combat were an afterthought. Not that it needs combat, but it feels dull.

This looks amazing. Can’t wait for it. This game seems made for those of us who enjoy stories like True Detective, Outer Limits, Twin Peaks, etc. We’re the gamers who beat Alan Wake 1 and Control and appreciate Remedy’s approach to storytelling and enjoy the gameplay loop that facilitates that. Day 1!

Senua

Yikes . Went from potential day one to hard wait and see.

I think every Remedy game I’ve never completed except Alan wake. I’ve found them all big time disappointments including AW1. I do think the studio is talented and that this sequel could fix the issues with the first game. This footage makes me think they introduced a slew of new problems AKA boring AF.

That said pacing is more important to contextualize this. Maybe you just completed a heart pounding scenario with lots of combat and then this is meant to slow it down and build back tension.

I’m not writing the game off even with my history with their games but man the more they show the worse this looks to want to actually play. Hope the full product is a winner.
Guessing you haven't played Max Payne 1&2

supernova8

Banned
Holy moly that is some extraordinarily boring footage.

Can’t wait to slowly walk everywhere and have long stilted conversations.
run around... dodge throwing knife... shoot... dodge throwing knife.... cutscene.... dodge.... lol

Also the main character's super calm inner narration voice somehow doesn't match with the clearly frantic situation she's in

barslan

Neo Member
Alan Wake and Control. I love their stories, atmospheres and gameplays.

What I have seen so far about the Alan Wake 2 has made me very excited.

So, I am looking forward Alan Wake 2.

Pejo

The environmental and clothing destruction is pretty damn cool. But my god the bullet sponges and slow pacing.

Outpost #31

Looks nice and interesting but it's probably going to be a while till i get to play this if at all.

No disc, no deal.

*looks at most of the comments in this thread*
*checks to see if this game is a console exclusive*

giphy.gif

I don't know what people were expecting from the gameplay and pacing of a game called Alan Wake 2.

Montauk

Oh other thing I forgot to criticise is just how much the player character talks to herself. Again and again, narrating things. Sometimes long, no very long, and then also short snippets.

Way, way too much talking. I hate it when player characters won’t shut the fuck up. Give me a second to think about what I’m seeing and doing.

They think so little of their players intelligence that they feel the character needs to be constantly telling you what to do, how to feel or to attempt to give them a personality. Give it a rest.

Last edited:

iorek21

Amazing graphics, but everyone saying this has the same pacing of the original should boot AW again.

The game had a lot of action and most encounters were intense as fuck, add that to some exploration and it had a good formula.

Meanwhile, this one seems to be focusing more on walking and dialogue, at least with all the gameplay footage shown to us. Doesn't really bode well, Alan Wake was never a slow walk simulator.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just watched this on my OLED. Give me this damn game already. Dripping with atmosphere, loving the gfx too
Alan Wake Remaster and Control both didn't had HDR (Contol can be modded).

Great looking or not, I don't see how it will save the game from being made by creative husk of old Remedy.... I dont want to play as a cop lady in ALAN WAKE

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This will. Confirmed by game director. Hopefully they wont fuck up their first implementation in a game where deep blacks are crucial
Let's hope so.
Control is modded by the dev and imo the implementation is flawed but at least they had time to learn

TIGERCOOL

What exactly was the marketing strategy behind having the title character absent from 90% of the promotional material for this game? I've only played a couple hours of the first game and I'm sure there's some explanation about him writing this woman's story or whatever, but it just feels like deliberately sabotaging your IPs brand.

I'm sure less casual observers than myself have a connection to the character from the first game and I can't see how this would get them excited to play it at all. Once again with the modern gaming industry I find myself asking: who are these decisions made for? It sure as hell doesn't seem to be for fans or gaming enthusiasts in general.

Even Druckmann was smart enough to fake people out with the trailer for tlou2

Last edited:

ulantan

What exactly was the marketing strategy behind having the title character absent from 90% of the promotional material for this game? I've only played a couple hours of the first game and I'm sure there's some explanation about him writing this woman's story or whatever, but it just feels like deliberately sabotaging your IPs brand.

I'm sure less casual observers than myself have a connection to the character from the first game and I can't see how this would get them excited to play it at all. Once again with the modern gaming industry I find myself asking: who are these decisions made for? It sure as hell doesn't seem to be for fans or gaming enthusiasts in general.

Even Druckmann was smart enough to fake people out with the trailer for tlou2
Alan wake is part of a much broader universe. The last time we heard from Alan was in the game control. This agent is most likely there to tie to wrap it back around and her very presence is a mystery in the mystery game. So it clears.

Last edited:
Yeah, we definitely don’t have enough games that have had their back broken on the altar of story because their developers have pretensions to be filmmakers.

We really do have a distinct lack of AAA story and “atmosphere” focused games. Oof, not many of those about. Not many games with impressive graphics either.

Every bit of slow walking to show off the graphics (ooh wow) and the “atmosphere” every bit of weird stilted talking, the detective talking to herself, every bit of fiddling with evidence and that UI, every slow pan around the character, the identical over the shoulder cam every one of these damn games has and lastly the gameplay just made me roll my eyes with its boring predictability.

Add in the worrying apparent usage of live-action footage featuring dogshit acting in the game and I’ve cooled on this one a lot.

I am not impressed by walking slow to show off your fancy graphics anymore. Get to the point.
I felt this too. Cookie cutter AAA trends galore

Fbh

Seems good to me.
These types of games just don't demo that well. That looks like a sequence designed to be played in a dark room, on big TV with a nice sound system (or headphones). Not on your phone or your work laptop during lunch break

A Remedy Classic then....

I usually like the gameplay and atmosphere in their games.
To me it the story where they always falter. The last few games of them that I played had stories that seem interesting on the surface but are ultimately pretty boring, feel a bit incomplete, rely way too much on constantly having to stop to read documents and emails and seemingly just have a lot of unexplained weird shit just for the of being weird.

SJRB

Gold Member
The way the NPC's are just standing there alongside the road doing nothing waiting for you to talk to them is utterly bizarre.

Previous gameplay video was dope but this one was pretty goofy. I hope the game has a super easy "story mode" because the combat seems kinda annoying honestly. All those enemies throwing stuff at you and dodging all over the place look pretty tedious.

"I should get a screwdriver because this yellow sticky note tells me", lady just shoot the lock of knock the window with any of the 43 items lying around. Game also seems to fall in the trap of "protagonist talking to themselves and pretty much telling the gamer exactly what they need to do".

Visuals and sheer density of the environments is insane though, amazing work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom